• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Doraville has great food nearby but I wouldn't want to live there. Alpharetta is also pretty far removed from the city. What are you looking for in a place to live?

My office is going to be in Alpharetta, but I don't mind driving. I would like to be closer to the city for sure because I like the downtown area, especially near the stadiums. I am looking to rent a house for a year in an area that doesn't resemble Menace 2 Society. I have been to Atlanta a few times, but only near my brother's spot in Smyrna and downtown. I went to Cummings last time though. That seemed waaay too far out.

giga

My office is going to be in Alpharetta, but I don't mind driving. I would like to be closer to the city for sure because I like the downtown area, especially near the stadiums. I am looking to rent a house for a year in an area that doesn't resemble Menace 2 Society. I have been to Atlanta a few times, but only near my brother's spot in Smyrna and downtown. I went to Cummings last time though. That seemed waaay too far out.
Sandy Springs or Dunwoody would be good.

Ganhyun

Agreed. For what you are looking for this is the best location.

Yea, you have to take really great deals here with a huge grain of salt.Further inspection usually leads to them being a way to get someone to move into a rough neighborhood or rundown apartment.

dskillzhtown

Agreed. For what you are looking for this is the best location.

Yea, you have to take really great deals here with a huge grain of salt.Further inspection usually leads to them being a way to get someone to move into a rough neighborhood or rundown apartment.

Thanks for the input. I have been talking to realtors and my brother has been doing legwork to check properties out (in the daytime and night). Obviously you aren't going to find some utopia, but some of the places have been pretty bad. So many rough neighborhoods right next to nice ones.

Ganhyun

Thanks for the input. I have been talking to realtors and my brother has been doing legwork to check properties out (in the daytime and night). Obviously you aren't going to find some utopia, but some of the places have been pretty bad. So many rough neighborhoods right next to nice ones.

Yea, the rough and good neighborhoods are sometimes side by side down here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Soccer is here

fb_img_14888019671834bka9.jpg

h3ro

Went to the tailgate near the Varsity! It was packed out and I don't think the organizers expected the amount of people that showed up. They ran out of beer/food for those that purchased a ticket for the sponsored stalls within an hour and a half of the event starting. Fantastic energy in the crowd, people were hyped.
This should be great fun once the new Benz stadium opens up.

Vanillalite

So bets on how long this "Soccer Fever" lasts in Atlanta? A year? Two years? Does it have sustained power?

I was hoping I could find the game on tv but no luck.

It was on FS1. I think it will either be there or ESPN for the season.

Also, 92.9 has the radio contract.

So bets on how long this "Soccer Fever" lasts in Atlanta? A year? Two years? Does it have sustained power?

SA national team games here sold out the Dome routinely. 30k season tickets sold, I think they will do okay as long as there is a commitment to winning. Thankfully this is Blank and not ASG.

Mesousa

Banned
It was on FS1. I think it will either be there or ESPN for the season.

Also, 92.9 has the radio contract.

SA national team games here sold out the Dome routinely. 30k season tickets sold, I think they will do okay as long as there is a commitment to winning. Thankfully this is Blank and not ASG.

National team games that come once every few years are a much different prospect than an MLS expansion team though.

National team games that come once every few years are a much different prospect than an MLS expansion team though.

There is a large Hispanic community in Atlanta, and all the hipster ITP people seem to be embracing it from the supporters parties I've been to. There are local connections on the team, and the youth soccer machine is very large and successful here.

I think it will be fine. The right ownership is in place, so you won't see a lackadaisical approach to roster management, etc like Atlanta Spirit. Blank's kids play/played, and he loves the sport.

Mesousa

Banned
There is a large Hispanic community in Atlanta, and all the hipster ITP people seem to be embracing it from the supporters parties I've been to. There are local connections on the team, and the youth soccer machine is very large and successful here.

I think it will be fine. The right ownership is in place, so you won't see a lackadaisical approach to roster management, etc like Atlanta Spirit. Blank's kids play/played, and he loves the sport.

The Latinos I know were/are silverback fans, but thats because we were able to watch their games on Azteca tv. Will be interesting to see.

Like the large crowds we would get in the dome for National team games never really crossed over to support of the beat, and the beat were relatively successful in their league.

Vanillalite

This year will be hyped cause it's new. Next year will be hyped cause the nee stadium will still be new. After that it's a wild card IMO.

RoKKeR

In town for Young the Giant concert tonight, have a free morning in Midtown tomorrow. Best way to kill 2-ish hours other than wondering around Piedmont Park?

dskillzhtown

I will be joining you ATLiens in about a week. Moving to Smyrna on the 1st. Going to stay with my brother until I get my bearings and a job. It's looking good so far on the job front.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Checked out Round One for the first time tonight. The game selection is a bit too modern for my tastes, but a *real* modern arcade is so rare in this day and age that it's hard not to appreciate one when you find it.

First time since probably high school that I've had a serious Pump It Up session. My legs feel like they're going to snap in two.

giga

Suntrust Park vs MB Stadium prices.

Item STP MBS
Hot Dog $4.00 $2.00
Pizza Slice $7.00 $3.00
Nachos $5.00 $3.00
Fries $6.00 $3.00
Cheeseburger $10.00* $5.00
Chicken Tender Basket $10.00 $6.00
Pretzel $5.50 $2.00
Popcorn $6.50 $2.00
Peanuts $5.00 $3.00
Regular Soda $3.75 $2.00^
Souvenir Soda $7.00 $4.00^
Bottled Water $3.00 $2.00
12 oz Domestic Beer $5.00 $5.00
*Cheeseburger at STP is a basket (I guess with fries)
^ Free unlimited refills
🤔

Vanillalite

Pricing is weird. NFL pricing on concession stand stuff isn't too bad, but you can't get into an NFL stadium for like less than $150.

MLB has a ton of cheap seats, but they try and make it up on you spending money inside the stadium.

The problem is if you paid $50 for a ticket vs $10 outfield bleacher seats your food pricing is the same!

Pricing is weird. NFL pricing on concession stand stuff isn't too bad, but you can't get into an NFL stadium for like less than $150.

MLB has a ton of cheap seats, but they try and make it up on you spending money inside the stadium.

The problem is if you paid $50 for a ticket vs $10 outfield bleacher seats your food pricing is the same!

That's why I never went to Gwinnett. Market was flooded with cheap Atlanta tickets.

Hey guys, I have never been in Atlanta before and I'm heading down from TN to see Radiohead on Saturday. It's at the Philips Arena and I'm kinda nervous about the parking situation. It's just me and my gf, one car, so I need to find somewhere that's close and will let me stay there from about 7 to midnight.

We may be parking farther away if the CNN lot is full, so is this a safe area of ATL? Just wanted to make sure if we have to walk 10 minutes or so. I'd really appreciate your parking knowledge.

Hey guys, I have never been in Atlanta before and I'm heading down from TN to see Radiohead on Saturday. It's at the Philips Arena and I'm kinda nervous about the parking situation. It's just me and my gf, one car, so I need to find somewhere that's close and will let me stay there from about 7 to midnight.

We may be parking farther away if the CNN lot is full, so is this a safe area of ATL? Just wanted to make sure if we have to walk 10 minutes or so. I'd really appreciate your parking knowledge.

You should be totally fine if you're in that general vicinity. I can't be of much help as far as where to park though. Right across from the CNN center there is this huge outdoor lot called "the gulch" behind the big parking deck which is where I park during the day if I need to be downtown, but at night I'm not sure what the deal is.

I didn't know Radiohead was coming here Saturday, dammit!

rpmurphy

I usually park at the 285 Marietta Street lot if I'm in that area. I think it does get packed during certain events (and they price gouge quite a bit then) but otherwise it's reasonable pricing for all-day which allows you to stay until something like 3am, and it's safe to walk.

I usually park at the 285 Marietta Street lot if I'm in that area. I think it does get packed during certain events (and they price gouge quite a bit then) but otherwise it's reasonable pricing for all-day which allows you to stay until something like 3am, and it's safe to walk.

You should be totally fine if you're in that general vicinity. I can't be of much help as far as where to park though. Right across from the CNN center there is this huge outdoor lot called "the gulch" behind the big parking deck which is where I park during the day if I need to be downtown, but at night I'm not sure what the deal is.

Thanks so much! I will be looking into both of those places, they seem perfectly close to the venue.

As a side note, any good bars around this area?

iPorygon

Saw the black smoke from Midtown and was wondering what was going on.

Glad no one was hurt, traffic is going to be insane with 85 closed though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That's going to fuck traffic for ages. I don't drive north of the city often (live in east Atlanta and work downtown) but that's to suck long term. Glad no one was hurt.

Favorite comment I've seen so far: "Looks like Sherman's back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom