• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - The sixth and final season - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Created by and starring Lena Dunham ("Tiny Furniture"), the show is a comic look at the assorted humiliations and rare triumphs of a group of girls in their mid-20s. Shot in New York, the 10-episode sixth season premieres on February 12, 2017 at 10/9c.

Enjoying new success as a writer after participating in “The Moth,” Hannah gets an assignment that could change her life. Divorced from Desi, Marnie seeks to remain independent, but her self-absorption could undermine a budding relationship with Ray. New couple Jessa and Adam embark on a creative project that could become a source of contention. Shoshanna flourishes at a marketing agency, but realizes her friendships may be holding her back.

Cast

Videos

Season 6 Official Trailer
How Well Does the Cast of "Girls" Really Know Each Other?

0UUNtVD.jpg

I haven't had a chance to read this, but the Girls oral history was being linked by a few people a couple days ago. Might be worth a look for those of you still watching the show:

- THR: It's Goodbye 'Girls' as Lena Dunham, Cast, Execs Overshare in Show Oral History
The definitive backstory of a series that began as "the worst pitch you've ever read" (see it yourself!) as the seminal comedy starts its final season and all the major players spill on the (very NSFW) sex scenes, those racism charges and what the "voice of her generation" does next.

Rookje

DUNHAM The race stuff blew up first. [The series was criticized for having an all-white cast.] The second night we aired was the first time I met my boyfriend [musician Jack Antonoff]; we were on a blind date. I had been metabolizing the criticism all week, and I made a really, really dumb joke that I'm perfectly fine to repeat now 'cause I was f—in' 25. I said, "No one would be calling me a racist if they knew how badly I wanted to f— Drake." He said, "Don't say that in public; that's not going to help you." I just didn't get it. I was like, "I have the three most annoying white friends, and I'm making a TV show about it."
Her boyfriend is smart

I watched this for like two seasons but there was only so much Lena Dunham frumping around her apartment in a robe, sticking cotton wool buds in her ear I could take.

It seemed like self absorbed garbage to me but then again I suppose we're all self absorbed garbage and art reflects life.

Like an unsanitized Sex in the City for the hardcore edgemaster introspective kids of today who ultimately all want the same thing. And by that I mean to talk about themselves, incessantly.

daffy

Banned
Fuggggg i need to resub. I want to discuss but i also need to save some money, Nintendo etc. I guess I'll be joining you guys mid season or something! So excited for the conclusion. One of my favorite shows that i feel has really grown with me.

Her boyfriend is smart
Oh dear god. So many white girls think the key to black acceptance is sleeping with a few exotic mandingos. Appreciate her candor there.

TVexperto

I really wanted to like that show but the characters are sooo unlikeable and have absolutely no redeeming qualities (Only watched first and second season)

I've always enjoyed the show, I shall miss it.

Mainly Ray and Shoshanna though, can they get a spinoff please?

Please?

Also Adam and Ray have adventures sometimes in my spinoff too.

Please?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season premiere is tonight!

All I Ever Wanted

In the Season 6 premiere, Hannah goes to the Hamptons to write a story about a surf camp for women, where she hits it off with the laid-back instructor. Meanwhile, Marnie's divorce from Desi opens a door for Ray, who bristles at her intention to close it when it suits her.

I hate Lena Dunham and I hate Hannah Horvath (and Marnie), but I really like this show. Adam Driver and Alex Karpovsky keep me coming back to it.

I am the same.

Everything Hannah does, I pretty much disagree with.

Ray and Adam are good guys. I enjoy the Shosanna character. Marnie is bearable but not very likable.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I am the same.

Everything Hannah does, I pretty much disagree with.

Ray and Adam are good guys. I enjoy the Shosanna character. Marnie is bearable but not very likable.
They kind of made Adam bad by starting to date Jessa. And Ray being bitter didn't help him, but at least he's not bad.

WaffleTaco

Welp I guess no one watched the season premier tonight? I mean it is understandably so with grammy's and life yada yada....anyway my thoughts: I genuinely liked it, it seems like a good opening for its final season. Elijah remains the best part of the show. Adam and Jessa really just don't give a fuck. Shos is amusing as always. I really love the Ray and Marnie relationship, I just hope they stay together even though she fucked Dezzie =(. Hannah is so extra though, lol and I will never get tired of seeing Lena Dunham's body.

crustikid

Felt like the show was on autopilot. Still enjoyed it, but really curious what arc the season will take for Hannah. Was hoping she'd stay in Montauk for a few episodes but the preview made it seem temporary. In that sense, the episode felt like a familiar callback to the Patrick Wilson "One Man's Trash" experience (favorite episode!).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"What's the agenda for today?"

"I don't know, I'm probably just gonna go back to my room and write and just like cry. Not in like a sad way, just more like in a Sundays in high school kinda way."

Riz Ahmed continues to be awesome in everything

I was very happy to see him pop up in tonight's episode.

Excellent first episode. What a great show overall. Going to miss it.

I wonder if Hannah's newly found optimism in episode one will end up being the theme of her character for the final season.

Dereck

I think since this is the sixth season, and since we should know the character's personalities by now, I've accepted Hannah as who she is and her Hannah-ismsare a lot less grating and more usual.

The show has increased the nonchalant nudity up to 12 and I personally didn't find myself caring since the show has desensitized any kind of uneasiness I had towards it before. Now that I can kind of ignore that uneasiness I'm now sensing a "realness" instead in the show because of it.

Jessa and Adam just messing around seems ordinary and the back and forth relationships between characters is nothing new.

I expected Hannah to bail after Paul-Louis mentioned his girlfriend, looked like she just wanted to ride the wave until it gave out. She could have gotten angry and left but it just would have soured her experience. In the last few seconds though you can see how she looks up at Paul-Louis regretting the inevitability of their relationship "ending" soon, at least from her perspective.

JonnyKong

Was a good ep, although I found the whole scene between Sho and Ray kinda weird. Has Sho always been that intelligent and up to date with current affairs? I always thought she was quite ditsy.

Anyway, I still hate Marnie, with a passion. Awful, awful person.

Was a good ep, although I found the whole scene between Sho and Ray kinda weird. Has Sho always been that intelligent and up to date with current affairs? I always thought she was quite ditsy.

Anyway, I still hate Marnie, with a passion. Awful, awful person.

I think Shosh has always come off as ditzy but really intelligent underneath. She's certainly been the most successful of everyone.

br3wnor

Welp I guess no one watched the season premier tonight? I mean it is understandably so with grammy's and life yada yada....anyway my thoughts: I genuinely liked it, it seems like a good opening for its final season. Elijah remains the best part of the show. Adam and Jessa really just don't give a fuck. Shos is amusing as always. I really love the Ray and Marnie relationship, I just hope they stay together even though she fucked Dezzie =(. Hannah is so extra though, lol and I will never get tired of seeing Lena Dunham's body.

PREVIEW SPOILERS:
Showed Marnie back w/ Dezzie, they were in public like making out. Don't know if it'll be played like she's doing it secretly, but I imagine Ray will find out

Very good episode, I don't know what it is specifically about the show but I find it to be really enjoyable, there's a genuineness to it. Also helps that I'm 30 so I've kind of been able to relate to every season in real time as I've gone through my mid-late 20's.

I've never been able to get a good enough read on Shosh's character to tell whether she wasn't just a rich girl who couldn't really handle the world. Maybe her Japan trip is supposed to have helped her grow a little.

Marnie is still awful. Hasn't learned anything.

Hannah is still awful - it's like they're amplifying her personal failings to make up for the fact that she's on her way to being a successful adult.

The Adam/Jessa thing was funny, but definitely painted them as heels and felt like it wouldn't last much longer.

Riz Ahmed was pretty great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've never been able to get a good enough read on Shosh's character to tell whether she wasn't just a rich girl who couldn't really handle the world. Maybe her Japan trip is supposed to have helped her grow a little.

She hasn't received much screen time at all in 5 odd seasons, when you really think about it. I always thought the show would have worked better with an ensemble cast, rather than focusing so much on Hannah.

Good first episode. Thought it was pretty funny. Shosh is the bomb!

The only complaint is since when were Hannah and whats her face ever best friends lol.

Rembrandt

Banned
Marnie is pretty much the worst and idk how Jessa is Hannah's best friend.

I enjoyed the first episode, though. I didn't see the preview for the next episode but I really hope Hannah doesn't stay at that resort.

JonnyKong

I can't remember the last time we actually saw all four of the girls hanging out as friends, having a good time, enjoying each other's company, you know how friends do. I hope we get at least some of that this season, but I don't have my hopes up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The "Hannah and Jessa are best friends!" thing has never been evidenced on the show, so I just assume that they were best friends as children and then grew apart as they got older - but for some reason they still consider themselves to be best friends even though they rarely talk or interact with each other anymore.

WaffleTaco

They did show Jessa and Hannah and Marine hanging out in flashbacks right? I mean maybe it's just implied that they were best friends, although I was confused to when I saw that title.

BSherrod

Ah, something for me to hate watch on Mondays is back. I'm too far gone to stop watching, but I'm glad this ride will be over at the end of this season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Hostage Situation

Hannah goes on a road trip to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., with Marnie and Desi; Andrew accompanies Shoshanna to a networking event for young professionals, where she has an awkward reunion with some former classmates and reevaluates her post-college friendships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom