• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Why is it that when Cerny says nice things about the PS4 we don't get multiple pages of idiots shouting "Because you get paid for it!"

Really? Major Nelson works for Microsoft? I'm shocked and amazed, because I've been asleep for the last eight years.

It's more that he's a PR guy who spouts bullshit about "transistors in the clouds" and other such nonsense. If we had a nuts and bolts article from one of the Xbone's engineers then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead we have another disingenuous article from the man who brought us "have you seen Titanfall?".

Nothing disingenuous about it. It's just a roundup of some of the next-gen Xbox Live changes and a wider announcement of their community driven player feedback system. I'm sure you find Cerny PR equally as disingenuous.

They've talked about it before and it's only a slight improvement over their current "reputation" system.
The Enforcement United is different from the reputation system upgrades. At least that's my take from what I've read of both.

Everybody will still be able to report or rate people they play with - the Enforcement United beta seems like something more involved. But I don't know because this is the first I'm hearing about it.

Bsigg12

If Adam Boyes came out and said why he's excited for the PS4 every comment would be about how hyped they are. Since this is Microsoft people feel the need to come shit up the thread without reading the article.

I like the enforcement stuff. I'll have to see if I qualify for it.

shandy706

Why is it that when Cerny says nice things about the PS4 we don't get multiple pages of idiots shouting "Because you get paid for it!"

Really? Major Nelson works for Microsoft? I'm shocked and amazed, because I've been asleep for the last eight years.

Chances are you you would get banned. If I weren't on my phone, I'd say report them.

The *Enforcement United* program sounds new, and interesting.

From here. A link off the OP article.

Having some mix of algorithms and community involvement does seem to make the most sense in terms of regulating an online community as large as Xbox Live. This seems like an ever moving target though. Worth the effort all the same.

Yeah, I'd assume Xbox Live will still set the quality bar going into next gen.

This should really get a thread of its own. There is no way in hell people are going to be talking about it without trolling in here.

Marleyman

Banned

You won't get an answer for it. Cerny gifs will arise, cerny avatars will post about their love for him and say "Go Sony!" It is sickening the bias around here. Even the hardcore Xbox fans don't say shit like that, have avatars of Major Nelson, etc. It is fucking horrible.

9415145611_e785afb1a3.jpg

We need this for Microsoft threads on GAF.

You won't get an answer for it. Cerny gifs will arise, cerny avatars will post about their love for him and say "Go Sony!" It is sickening the bias around here. Even the hardcore Xbox fans don't say shit like that, have avatars of Major Nelson, etc. It is fucking horrible.
There's a big difference between Mark Cerny and Major Nelson.

Thanks for the substantive critique.

Do you want to be more specific?

Sure:

Because they pay you for it.

Because you get paid to be Major.

What's exiting about a paywall?

Congratulations on doing your job.

I heard he saw some exciting projects

I love this guy, he should try stand up. Can't wait to get my achievement for 12 commercials watched in a row.

you don't say.jpg

Hey gets paid for every live subscription sold. 10 cents.

Why I’m Excited about Online Gaming with Xbox One

by "Major" Nelson, grade 3

Because he has seen Titanfall? :D

This man really gets under my skin.

Not a single negative post on the front page had anything to do with the article, or its contents. They were either bashing MN or just shitposting because they can get away with it. For a forum dedicated to industry discussion it's really hard to do any discussing in Microsoft threads.

Raymo

For one, Cerny doesn't talk down to the audience. He talks on a technical level that is easy to understand without using buzz words.

People appreciate that.

Just read his post.. Nowt wrong with that. Part info part marketing talk.

I actually like reading about these things.
Right? But if Cerny said something along these lines we'd be licking his butt crack. What's happened to this place? Some good info in the OP. Christ!

udiie

I still think that title was the main cause of troll city emerging on the first page.
Anyway, there is some great new info here, can't wait to hear more about the infrastructure in the coming weeks.

As long as other players or the games you play are not negatively reporting you or your actions, you’ll maintain a positive reputation.

isn't this how it already works with 360?

this isnt my profile but I still have 60% bad rep. how can that many people be reporting me versus the thousands that I have played with over the years?

FluxWaveZ

One has been straightforward and honest since he's appeared as a spokesperson for the company. The other has appeared dodgy and has claimed things that turned out to be straight up false.

That's why the comments of one of them is met with skepticism and snark while the other is met with optimism and praise.

They are both representing their respective companies, but that is irrelevant.

udiie

For one, Cerny doesn't talk down to the audience. He talks on a technical level that is easy to understand without using buzz words.

People appreciate that.

I don't see how this post or many of Nelson's ever "talked down" to the audience. I'd blame Don for that mostly

Cerny normally sticks to his true labor to explain what he did or why he did it.

Major Nelson throws catchy names around

Smart Match, Power of the cloud, etc.

I will say this to clarify my point: If this is what there is to be excited about XB1 (online), i'm not in.

and like almost every news about the XB1:

These are just a FEW of the thing that make gaming great on Xbox One. There are lots more to come, so be sure to stay tuned for more exciting details as we march towards the launch of Xbox One.

At a later point, soon, etc. It sounds like they don't even know where they're heading, because some features were announced by sony way before the xb1 was unveiled, and it even did a 180 turn to stay afloat and avoid being DOA.

Marleyman

Banned
One has been straightforward and honest since he's appeared as a spokesperson for the company. The other has appeared dodgy and has claimed things that turned out to be straight up false.

Cerny didn't have to face the shitstorm Nelson had to face. Sony has coasted so far and has not needed anyone to step up, PR wise to clean a mess up. Nelson was dodgy because I don't think he was even sure what was going on.

FluxWaveZ said:
They are both representing their respective companies, but that is irrelevant.

It isn't as Nelson is being called a shill for stating facts.

S¡mon

Banned
They are both shilling. They have different jobs with their company but they work for Sony and MS respectively.
No, Cerny isn't an employee of Sony.

So if someone expresses his/her love for Cerny through Cerny gifs, that person could still be an Xbox fanboy.

Yawnier

Banned
They are both shilling. They have different jobs with their company but they work for Sony and MS respectively.

Cerny is a consultant, I'm not sure on the specifics if he is still considered a straightforward company employee of Sony or SCE since he doesn't manage any employees directly and the such.

Risible

The post isn't disingenuous at all. People know who Major Nelson is. He isn't trying to pose as some blogger. I suspect you post the same thing in Sony PR threads right?

I'll be honest, I have no idea if Sony has an equivalent to Major Nelson. If they do they've failed because I have no idea who he/she is.

And did you really play the "Herp you're just a fanboy" card on me? Take a look at my post history, I own all of the major systems, including the handhelds. This has nothing to do with system loyalty.

The point is not that no one is aware of who Major is, it's that he tries to post in an informal "Hey guys I think this is cool!" way when it reality he's just spouting PR nonsense and comes across as disingenuous.

daviyoung

Banned
Sure; in Major's case though he is paid to do this. Who is the Nelson equivalent for Sony? Cerny is the architect.

It doesn't matter, a shill has no affiliation with product/company. And it's pretty sad that people think "Major Nelson" isn't just a marketing persona made to sell you stuff.

Sony's direct equivalent would be the American advert actor.

GamerTime

Banned
Too me Mark Cerny doesn't come off fake, while Major Nelson just makes me want to laugh at him for how ridiculous he is.

this isnt my profile but I still have 60% bad rep. how can that many people be reporting me versus the thousands that I have played with over the years?
I think that just means 60% of the people who reported you gave that reason. For all we know that's only a scant few people.

Raymo

I don't see how this post or many of Nelson's ever "talked down" to the audience. I'd blame Don for that mostly

What? Have you seen the "Have you seen Titanfall?" interview?

I think it's a little bold of you to say that since there are a lot of videos at e3 that show this.

Because Cerny doesn't have a long history of saying stupid shit, lying, regurgitating corporate hype, and being a general clown. Anything GN says has less value then dirt. If this information was new, hadn't already been touted during the 360 launch, or was coming from a more unbiased source the thread would have been different. But as it stands it's just more phony corporate hype.

FluxWaveZ

Cerny didn't have to face the shitstorm Nelson had to face. Sony has coasted so far and has not needed anyone to step up, PR wise to clean a mess up. Nelson was dodgy because I don't think he was even sure what was going on.

Indeed. There's your answer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's a way to frame PR to not offend people or make people skeptical. Don't make it personal. Make it, "why you should be excited about xbox," not "why I (an employee of MS) am excited for xbox."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom