• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

Veelk

Banned
I just check to make sure I have the right book in the first place. Usually it's somewhere inside the book itself, but failing that, I just look it up.

Finished the Mistborn trilogy and I feel like the last book in the trilogy, Hero of Ages, was hyped just a little bit. Lots of people with their, "...just wait!" and "you're in for a treat!!" - maybe because I truly believe that the end, or payoff, of books is Brandon's weakest writing trait.

He is a master at building tension, that Christopher Nolan-esque way of having multiple stories happening at once...but I don't know, probably just me, but his payoff never live up to the build-up.

Either way, it was a great series. Stormlight is still what I enjoy of his the most, but I didn't think I would hold Mistborn in such high regard before reading it.

FWIW...I then read Secret History and LOVED it.

Faiz

Finished the Mistborn trilogy and I feel like the last book in the trilogy, Hero of Ages, was hyped just a little bit. Lots of people with their, "...just wait!" and "you're in for a treat!!" - maybe because I truly believe that the end, or payoff, of books is Brandon's weakest writing trait.

He is a master at building tension, that Christopher Nolan-esque way of having multiple stories happening at once...but I don't know, probably just me, but his payoff never live up to the build-up.

Either way, it was a great series. Stormlight is still what I enjoy of his the most, but I didn't think I would hold Mistborn in such high regard before reading it.

Wait, just to clarify you read Secret History BEFORE the currently available Wax and Wayne (aka Mistborn Era 2) books?

zroid

Banned
Wait, just to clarify you read Secret History BEFORE the currently available Wax and Wayne (aka Mistborn Era 2) books?

I don't see it as a problem tbh; if I could go back and do it over, I would've done the same. The spoiler is pretty minor and to read SH immediately after the trilogy would have more of a punch I feel.

That said, if you're less versed in Realmatic theory prior to reading SH, I could see it as being a little bit more confusing than if you read all the way up to Bands of Mourning already.

Actually the one book I'd recommend reading before SH is Elantris for obvious reasons :lol

Correct, the Arcanum Unbounded said there was only a very minor spoiler and it covered the story in the original Mistborn trilogy, so I said WHY NOT. :)

legend166

That's uh, a pretty unique opinion, haha. What most people seem to love about Sanderson is exactly what you say he's weakest at.

Almost done with bands of mourning

Man, not sure why but Wax and Wayne trilogy was just a dud for me.

Loved: Words of Radiance, Way of Kings, The Final Empire, The Hero of Ages
Liked: Shadows of Self, Well of Ascension
Meh : Alloy of Law, Bands of Mourning

Super hyped for Stormlight 3.

Kind of off topic but where do I go from here? I'm in the mood for more fantasy. I want to get Sanderson a break though after reading 8 books in a row of his.

Other authors I love: Abercrombie, Martin, Lynch, Rothfuss

Pretty much the same assessment i have. I'm almost done with Ally of Law and it's really meh. There is really nothing going on. It's almost like a stale detective story. Does it get better?

zroid

Banned
Pretty much the same assessment i have. I'm almost done with Ally of Law and it's really meh. There is really nothing going on. It's almost like a stale detective story. Does it get better?

Alloy of Law was originally intended as a short one-off to fill the gaps between his other projects, so it's definitely not as fleshed out as I think we've come to expect from Cosmere works. I thought it was fine but not exactly compelling in its own right.

Both of its sequels, however, are much better IMO. The story in Shadows of Self is just overall excellent, and Bands of Mourning is particularly intriguing because of how relevant it is to the overarching plot of Mistborn. If you're like me, you'll also come to like the characters a lot more in the sequels as they become more fully developed.

Faiz

I don't see it as a problem tbh; if I could go back and do it over, I would've done the same. The spoiler is pretty minor and to read SH immediately after the trilogy would have more of a punch I feel.

That said, if you're less versed in Realmatic theory prior to reading SH, I could see it as being a little bit more confusing than if you read all the way up to Bands of Mourning already.

Actually the one book I'd recommend reading before SH is Elantris for obvious reasons :lol

Correct, the Arcanum Unbounded said there was only a very minor spoiler and it covered the story in the original Mistborn trilogy, so I said WHY NOT. :)

Ok... I'd quibble with Unbounded labeling it "minor". It's something of a mystery that runs through Bands and Secret History kinda makes it obvious and the revelation at the end has no impact. The preface to the Secret History novella (the separate publication edition) Brandon says he would prefer you to read Bands first. "I'd actually prefer you wait until you've finished book six, the Bands of Mourning, because some of the reveals in this story will spoil that book as well." IMO the Unbounded blurb is insufficient.

/shrug

zroid

Banned
Ok... I'd quibble with Unbounded labeling it "minor". It's something of a mystery that runs through Bands and Secret History kinda makes it obvious and the revelation at the end has no impact. The preface to the Secret History novella (the separate publication edition) Brandon says he would prefer you to read Bands first. "I'd actually prefer you wait until you've finished book six, the Bands of Mourning, because some of the reveals in this story will spoil that book as well." IMO the Unbounded blurb is insufficient.

/shrug
it might just be a matter of taste. yes the reveal was somewhat surprising but it wasn't all that impactful, to me. it was more like a "huh neat" than a "holy crap" reaction. inferring that Kelsier is behind what's going on doesn't really affect much about the actual story as it's happening; it's more like background knowledge.

I wouldn't tell someone NOT to read Bands first but I do feel there's a balance somewhere between not knowing that spoiler for Bands, and appreciating the happenings in Secret History just a little bit more by reading it immediately after the trilogy. which way the scale tips is a matter of preference I'm sure.

Faiz

I picked up Elantris last year and got done with maybe 25% of it before I stopped. Might have to pick it back up again if that's the case.

It does pick up in the second half - but make no mistake, it's still very rough compared to more recent works. It's absolutely worth reading for the larger cosmeric connections and it's not a long read so the investment is small, but I want to keep expectations in check.

Well after a long build-up, I'm finally reading Way of Kings. Just finished Part One and yeah, it's damn good. I love that the world is truly alien, the only thing I could think to compare it to is Morrowind.

Plowed through his short story "Snapshot" in an evening...

From reading the synopsis, I was worried it was going to be cliché and trite. I was wrong - it was a neat idea and I'm continue to be marveled at Sanderson's way of creating a believable world so quickly in his writing!

Not my fav from him, but an enjoyable, quick read.

I believe "Snapshot" was his short story picked up for film or tv rights, and it would make a very interesting show.

The one thing: he really needs to work on his names. I couldn't get over the names of the two detectives in it: Anthony Davis and Chaz. Chaz. Ugh.

crazyprac

So I read the way of Kings novels and warbreaker and really liked both. Now on mistborn series and I liked the final empire but well of Ascension is such a drag. Like wtf. I'm at
Cett being nominated as king
but I'm really really having trouble moving forward. I don't feel the story is progressing fast enough. Please tell me it gets better.

zroid

Banned
So I read the way of Kings novels and warbreaker and really liked both. Now on mistborn series and I liked the final empire but well of Ascension is such a drag. Like wtf. I'm at
but I'm really really having trouble moving forward. I don't feel the story is progressing fast enough. Please tell me it gets better.
I... don't know. I really enjoyed it but it seems to be the least popular of his major novels. The climax is fast paced and fun as you'd expect and the ending is intriguing. Hero of Ages is generally considered as good or close to Final Empire fwiw.

The end is good, and then Hero of Ages is leagues better. WoA is definitely the weakest book of the three.

crazyprac

I... don't know. I really enjoyed it but it seems to be the least popular of his major novels. The climax is fast paced and fun as you'd expect and the ending is intriguing. Hero of Ages is generally considered as good or close to Final Empire fwiw.

I appreciate the character building but it seems to drag on with Vin's and Elend's insecurities. Like I get excited when new things get introduce but then it cuts off abruptly and goes back to their insecurities. I realize that this might be a build up for their relationship which might have to do something with the ending but I think it could have been approached better?

The end is good, and then Hero of Ages is leagues better. WoA is definitely the weakest book of the three.

That's good to hear. I've been binged reading Sanderson's work since I got my hand on way of Kings by accident lol.

Man Kelsier was so interesting, none of the new characters in WoA do it for me.

Oh well back to reading.

exYle

In the past month or so I finished Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and the first Mistborn trilogy.

God help me, I can't stop

Faiz

"It gets better" is kinda subjective so... maybe? I felt like Mistborn improves every step of the way, and Brandon's improvement as a writer from FE to WoA was palpable. The progression is somewhat subtle for a good chunk but I feel like it's a tightly woven narrative with very very little extra.

• The Final Empire is incredible, and one of my favorite books ever.
  • The Well of Ascension just sucks. The climax is great but it's not until the very end, and not enough to save everything that came before.
  • The Hero of Ages is okay, I guess. Definitely better than WoA.
When my sister asked for a book recommendation a couple years back, I told her to read The Final Empire as a standalone and ignore the sequels. She has a passing interest in fantasy and no general interest in Sanderson.

That said, if you're invested in The Cosmere the entire trilogy is absolutely worth reading. It's also worth noting that Secret History and the Mistborn Era 2 books are quite good.

So I'm reading Words of Radiance (~100 pages in) and I'm wondering if someone can answer a question for me. (spoilers for Way of Kings below)

Is this series eventually going to actually address the whole slavery/racism angle? Because I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with the way the Parshendi/parshmen are portrayed in this series. When they were first introduced as being dumb, docile, sub-human, etc. I thought "Okay, he's introducing this culture's prejudices so that he can subvert them later" but... that hasn't really happened yet? Kaladin seems to understand that they might be more cultured than people think, but so far nobody, not even him, has ever questioned the morality of keeping parshmen as slaves. Which would make more sense in an uglier, grimdarkier world, but in a series where I'm supposed to root for all the main characters, it's pretty strange. If anything, the reveal at the end of WoK doubles down on my discomfort by suggesting that the Parshmen are everything the Alethi say they are and they're secretly evil monsters too. Since he's already addressing issues of race with the lighteyes/darkeyes conflict, I would hope this is all just a setup for something later on that turns all this stuff on its head. But if this series is going to try to pitch to me that I should actually feel bad for the Alethi because their slave race might rebel against them... then fuck that, honestly. The Alethi can get fucked.

So I'm reading Words of Radiance (~100 pages in) and I'm wondering if someone can answer a question for me. (spoilers for Way of Kings below)

Is this series eventually going to actually address the whole slavery/racism angle? Because I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with the way the Parshendi/parshmen are portrayed in this series. When they were first introduced as being dumb, docile, sub-human, etc. I thought "Okay, he's introducing this culture's prejudices so that he can subvert them later" but... that hasn't really happened yet? Kaladin seems to understand that they might be more cultured than people think, but so far nobody, not even him, has ever questioned the morality of keeping parshmen as slaves. Which would make more sense in an uglier, grimdarkier world, but in a series where I'm supposed to root for all the main characters, it's pretty strange. If anything, the reveal at the end of WoK doubles down on my discomfort by suggesting that the Parshmen are everything the Alethi say they are and they're secretly evil monsters too. Since he's already addressing issues of race with the lighteyes/darkeyes conflict, I would hope this is all just a setup for something later on that turns all this stuff on its head. But if this series is going to try to pitch to me that I should actually feel bad for the Alethi because their slave race might rebel against them... then fuck that, honestly. The Alethi can get fucked.
Some of the intermission chapters take place from a parashendi point of view and they address it in other ways as well

Mmmm... sorta.

The issue of keeping Parshmen as slaves is never really dealt with on a moral level, more a practical one. The unfortunate implications of the Parshmen=Voidbringers situation you're (rightly) seeing at that point aren't QUITE right, though, for reasons I can get into in more detail if you like. Fair warning, they're fairly spoilery.

zroid

Banned
Public library finally got copies of White Sand (after I asked them to order it lol), so I'll pick that up when my reservation is confirmed. I enjoyed the excerpt in Arcanum Unbounded, but graphic novels are a bit pricey to purchase for me.

If there's ever an omnibus with all the volumes, maybe then.

just to add to the above posts, apparently this topic is going to be central to the plot of Oathbringer. So expect it to be important.

Mmmm... sorta.

The issue of keeping Parshmen as slaves is never really dealt with on a moral level, more a practical one. The unfortunate implications of the Parshmen=Voidbringers situation you're (rightly) seeing at that point aren't QUITE right, though, for reasons I can get into in more detail if you like. Fair warning, they're fairly spoilery.

I'm gonna keep reading for sure, so I'm sure I'll be on the lookout for that. It was just odd because this is the only time I've ever had this kind of an issue with a Sanderson book. But since the series is still technically just getting started I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

just to add to the above posts, apparently this topic is going to be central to the plot of Oathbringer. So expect it to be important.

That's good to hear. I'll add that I'm really enjoying this series outside of this one thing.

Veelk

Banned

Basically, yes. Kaladin's relationship with
his parshendi bridgemen
is kind of specifically there to struggle with that very question.

But as a broader notion, while it's certainly not as Grimdark as ASoIaF or First Law, I feel it's important to remember that the Alethi are a warrior based culture. The very notion of basing your ideals in the fighting and slaughter of others kind of ingrains a sense of dehumanization toward others in it's people. It's cleaned up and better than many other examples, but it's kind of inevitable.

exYle

If it helps, the preview for Oathbringer seems like it will address this issue.

I think you'll be mostly satisfied by the end of Words of Radiance. It's also important to remember that this is a ten book series, so you're basically only through 15% of the overall story.

Barzul

Just wrapped up my reread of Way of Kings and going through Words of Radiance now before Oathbringer is released later this year. Something I've noticed and I don't know if it's by design but I've noticed whoever is the main focus in the book seems to have the more interesting character arc. Like the Shallan parts in Way of Kings were slightly more difficult to read through and I really looked forward to Kaladin's story. In Words of Radiance though, it's the reverse.

I think you'll be mostly satisfied by the end of Words of Radiance. It's also important to remember that this is a ten book series, so you're basically only through 15% of the overall story.

10 books?! I always thought it was 7.

Faiz

Just wrapped up my reread of Way of Kings and going through Words of Radiance now before Oathbringer is released later this year. Something I've noticed and I don't know if it's by design but I've noticed whoever is the main focus in the book seems to have the more interesting character arc. Like the Shallan parts in Way of Kings were slightly more difficult to read through and I really looked forward to Kaladin's story. In Words of Radiance though, it's the reverse.

10 books?! I always thought it was 7.

Yep, sorry, it's always been 10, later clarified as two separate five book arcs.

Barzul

Yep, sorry, it's always been 10, later clarified as two separate five book arcs.

Brandon Sanderson really is a prolific writer so he's one I can definitely see getting it done in a reasonable timeline. The books are all super long too. Impressive stuff...I just hope the quality does not dip.

I just finished part 1 of The Final Empire and have been absolutely loving the story so far. I like the world, the characters, the science, and setting of the story. I'm looking forward to experiencing the rest of the trilogy and more.

Last year I read the Reckoner's trilogy. I've seen a lot of similarities between the two stories so far (super human abilities, a band of rebels overthrowing a ruler, team member makeup, etc.) Does all of Sanderson's work follow this formula?

Barzul

I just finished part 1 of The Final Empire and have been absolutely loving the story so far. I like the world, the characters, the science, and setting of the story. I'm looking forward to experiencing the rest of the trilogy and more.

Last year I read the Reckoner's trilogy. I've seen a lot of similarities between the two stories so far (super human abilities, a band of rebels overthrowing a ruler, team member makeup, etc.) Does all of Sanderson's work follow this formula?

Stormlight doesn't. Then again there's been only 2 books so far out of a 10 book series. But there's no "ruler" being overthrown, but there is sort of a big bad but details on them are still a bit scant.

IMO, there are a lot of similarities between:

The Final Empire & SteelHeart
Shadows of Self & SteelHeart (for different reasons than above)
Elantris & The Way of Kings

I don't think there's anything particularly egregious beyond those three.

Sanderson's most defining trait is his intricate magic systems. All of his stories will have some sort of magic system involved. So, in that sense, there will always be some level of "superhuman abilities."

Outside of that, there's really no egregious similarities. Some character personalities will be similar but that's due to large casts and characters being people.

There will always be parallels that can be drawn, if you really want to focus on it. Even then, the parallels are pretty superficial for the most part.

Continue reading the first Mistborn trilogy and you'll see it goes a completely different direction than Reckoners.

zroid

Banned
IMO, there are a lot of similarities between:

The Final Empire & SteelHeart
Shadows of Self & SteelHeart (for different reasons than above)
Elantris & The Way of Kings

I don't think there's anything particularly egregious beyond those three.

Interestingly, Brandon himself has drawn a lot of comparisons between Elantris and Warbreaker. He originally conceived Warbreaker as a sort of alternate reality Elantris where the "city of gods" is still thriving rather than in decay.

Top Bottom