• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 24 - This is great, oh god Bauer's family, time to FF

Pastry

Banned
I'm two episodes away from finishing season 1. Man this shit is fun. Lots of intrigue, action is good, all kinds of interesting storylines.

But Jesus Christ this show would be better off if Bauer's family wasn't in it. The daughter and the wife suck the life out of any scenes they're in, make awful decisions and are just insufferable in general. There had to have been a way to frame Jack without involving them. Do they feature prominent roles in later seasons?

HardRojo

It gets better. I wish I could experience it for the first time. I have yet to watch the 9th season (Live Another Day) and the "reboot" or whatever it was.

NYR

You really should finish season 1, I'd be interested in your thoughts as the show progresses, love this show.

Season 1 finale Spoiler:
his wife dies.

Arttemis

The show gets better and better the first few years.
Up to the middle of season 6. S6 is widely considered the worst, though it definitely starts great. Everything after it is back to being good, though.

The reboot is atrocious.

You really should finish season 1, I'd be interested in your thoughts as the show progresses, love this show.

Season 1 finale Spoiler:
idiot.
Why the fuck would you even fucking spoil that?

The family aspects of the show are a bit annoying in the first two seasons (and the second season is admittedly worse than the first in this regard if my memory serves me), but it gets better after that. Just go with the flow. :)

Season 1 finale Spoiler:
I want to ruin the show for you

Sometimes it's a good idea to ask yourself "why am I posting this" before posting something. If you can't come up with a good answer, don't fucking post it!

ZeoVGM

Banned
It doesn't even make sense to put that in the thread at all, even with a spoiler tag, but please tell me NYR didn't seriously post it without a tag originally.

MIMIC

Banned
Season 1 finale Spoiler:
his wife dies.

Yeah, I would not read this (until you've finished the season of course)

As for the prominent roles in the future:
nothing too extreme, but it'll make sense though
(non-specific spoiler)

Sai-kun

Banned

Season 1 finale Spoiler:
nyr is dumb

op: i havent finished the season :)

u: heres a season spoiler!

like...why...

Darko

I wanna rewatch the show but there is too much filler :
watching the og seasons live with gaf in threads was amazing though

Season 5 is the personal favorite

Phased

First few seasons are really really good. I wish I could experience them again for the first time.

Kinda takes a dive near the end of it's run, but still just a lot of fun overall.

you haven't even got to kim's defining moment in S2 yet

It's crazy, but despite all the crazy things Jack was doing in S2, at least its the premise and why we all watch the series, but it was Kim that really was somehow stretching belief.

How can seemingly regular person get into so much damn trouble in only 24 hours? She was just a magnet for drama, it was insane! It was just one thing after another. Most of the trouble see faced wound have been solved just staying in one place and resting for a while, LMAO.

It's crazy, but despite all the crazy things Jack was doing in S2, at least its the premise and why we all watch the series, but it was Kim that really was somehow stretching belief.

How can seemingly regular person get into so much damn trouble in only 24 hours? She was just a magnet for drama, it was insane! It was just one thing after another. Most of the trouble see faced wound have been solved just staying in one place and resting for a while, LMAO.

She's this eras danger prone Daphne

Season 2 is a fucking nightmare, but I loved the rest. Even the recent reboot.
12 episodes is better than 24.

Also lol at that guy posting spoilers.

ibyea

Banned
I'm two episodes away from finishing season 1. Man this shit is fun. Lots of intrigue, action is good, all kinds of interesting storylines.

But Jesus Christ this show would be better off if Bauer's family wasn't in it. The daughter and the wife suck the life out of any scenes they're in, make awful decisions and are just insufferable in general. There had to have been a way to frame Jack without involving them. Do they feature prominent roles in later seasons?

Haha, you haven't even seen the worst of Kim Bauer. That said keep watching. Seasons 1-5, 9 are freaking fantastic.

theaface

It's a great show. It does eventually jump the shark (bigly), but there's still a lot to love. The ticking clock format really is bloody fantastic in instilling a sense of urgency and peril the whole way through.

S1 is one of the best/worst examples of the show having enough material to fill the 24 hour time period, hence the family filler. Other seasons tend to handle this better, and I think the past 2 (Live Another Day and Legacy) are better for shifting to a 12 episode run.

Season 3 will always be my favourite.

Karu

Season 2 is the second best season of the show. While it has some questionable stuff in there, the good stuff is like... really, really good.

Season 5 goes on top, though. Absolutely no question. One of the best singular seasons of all time.

Remember watching the first season, the thrill of 24 was like nothing else I have ever seen on TV back then.

Tagg9

Glad to hear people are still enjoying 24 today. I had a feeling that the earlier seasons in particular would seem cheesy now.

ibyea

Banned
Glad to hear people are still enjoying 24 today. I had a feeling that the earlier seasons in particular would seem cheesy now.

I like 24 and all, but they kind of are cheesy. There are times where Jack Bauer's antics are so over the top they cross the line twice and so it is sort of funny in a macabre kind of way. Not to mention it is a world where so many bad things happen in quick succession that it stretches credibility, especially when you see the terrorist attacks that happen over the years.

robinsxe

hahaha so true, that
animal attack

MaKTaiL

Even the worse seasons of 24 are better than most shows on TV right now, so go for it. 24 and it's format remain for me one of the most thrilling experiences I've had the pleasure to watch.

The two 12 episode seasons that came out are trash and do not follow the full format that has made the show so unique. It didn't even deserve the name.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Love me some 24. The outside family stuff dies down...and then comes back in a later season. There is almost always some domestic element that ends up getting mixed into the the central plot though.

I need to rewatch the whole series one of these days. I haven't seen a lot of it in a good 7 years. Last time I watched, I was dating a girl who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the show, which was weird. Names of characters that are only in 1 episode weird. It's amazing how much I had forgotten other than the really big plot points.

I miss, 24-GAF. I jumped in during Season 4 onward and loved it.

The show gets better and better the first few years.
Up to the middle of season 6. S6 is widely considered the worst, though it definitely starts great. Everything after it is back to being good, though.
/QUOTE]

I recently did a marathon re-watch of all of the seasons for the first time in quite a while. I hated season 6 (and still class it as 24's worst season). Didn't like the initial airing, still purchased the dvd and re-watched it once... but it's a season that I like to pretend never happened.

I enjoyed it this time around, probably because it had been a lot of time since I last watched it. My main gripes are the political story lines of the season are just so drab and boring.

It's still my favorite show of all time (if I named previous "great" shows - I don't necessarily set a high bar there lol), that said when you've seen the series' as often as I have (in 24's initial run, I'd re-watch previous seasons multiple times a year) you do notice the short comings a lot more. The lazy ways of the script writers (every character having the same tropes - choices of expression when they are happy, angry, sad etc), certain characters having the same hair style or dress sense as other characters from a prior season among other details.

Bishop89

watch passed season 1. Do yourself a favour.

End of s1 spoiler
his wife dies

Even the worse seasons of 24 are better than most shows on TV right now, so go for it. 24 and it's format remain for me one of the most thrilling experiences I've had the pleasure to watch.

The two 12 episode seasons that came out are trash and do not follow the full format that has made the show so unique. It didn't even deserve the name.

and this is 10000% correct.

Top Bottom