• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: ‘most’ of its restaurants were infected with credit card stealing malware

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
God damn, the day before the location I go to was infect was the last time I went. Probably should get my card reissued just in case.

Hits keep coming. I haven't eaten there in over two years, though. Especially since moving to TX. It's become irrelevant.

I crushed it nearly everyday I felt like in college, though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The store that sickened hundreds of Boston College students a couple of years ago is on the list – and that's the one I go to occasionally. I'm done now, though. Fuck em.

Thankfully there's a much better local joint opening a new location right next door soon. For the last year the only place to get a burrito in the area was Chipotle.

Oh for fuck's sake.

My store is on there and I probably ate there during the time it specifies. What the fuck do I do? It's like this shit happens constantly.

Jesus Chipotle.

Rootbeer

Banned
Give me free burritos and we're even.

Not long after their last fuckup they sent out a bunch of free coupons in the mail. Lots of people in my building just threw them away, in the discard tub at our mailboxes. I plucked about 10 of them out of there.

I'm still alive.

Ready for a repeat

So if I did eat there during the specified time at an identified store, does that mean my info is 100% in the hands of deviants, or that it's simply possible?

It is crazy for me as a Canadian to think that magnetic strips are still the norm in the USA. Tap is starting to become the norm here in Nova Scotia which is a step even beyond the chip reader

contactless-payments.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
It is crazy for me as a Canadian to think that magnetic strips are still the norm in the USA. Tap is starting to become the norm here in Nova Scotia which is a step even beyond the chip reader

contactless-payments.jpg

Oh they actually have credit cards you can tap like apple/android pay? lol. dang. Yeah I have never seen that in America... I have several CC and none have that, would be nice.

I hate the chip because it takes longer to authenticate than a stripe. I'll still prefer it for the security benefits though. Apple Pay is the best and fastest for me. But even here in the Bay Area i'd say probably only 1/4 of the places I visit accept it.

It's quickly becoming unacceptable. If they only accept a swipe then that tells me they are cheaping out, and that they don't value the safety of their customers.

I hope whatever costs you saved through not upgrading to a more secure payment system were worth another PR debacle, Chipotle!

It's maddening that there are still major companies who still haven't secured their payment systems. How many more breaches need to happen before they learn their lesson?

Oh they actually have credit cards you can tap like apple/android pay? lol. dang. Yeah I have never seen that in America... I have several CC and none have that, would be nice.

I hate the chip because it takes longer to authenticate than a stripe. I'll still prefer it for the security benefits though. Apple Pay is the best and fastest for me. But even here in the Bay Area i'd say probably only 1/4 of the places I visit accept it.

It's quickly becoming unacceptable. If they only accept a swipe then that tells me they are cheaping out, and that they don't value the safety of their customers.

Ya it is pretty much like apple pay and you use the chip on your card to tap the screen. Makes buying stuff such a breeze. I guess the cc companies of the states hates change lol.

OmegaX

contactless-payments.jpg

I live in a third world country and all my cards were upgraded to chip years ago. NFC readers are starting to appear over here too. I wonder why America is behind on this.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just reissued my debit card. All my local stores got hit, and I feel i've gone during those times it was going on.

Ugh now i have to wait a week for my new card to arrive before i can update my payment information.

Fnord

Went to a Chipotle for the first time last month. Store has only been open for maybe nine weeks. I'm not compelled to ever go to one again. My girlfriend and I were there for about 30-45 minutes. The joint wasn't exactly hopping. We had to search to find a table that was clean enough to consider eating at. The whole time we were there, not a soul ever came out to clean up a single table. That, coupled with the overall mediocrity of the food sealed this as a one-off thing. There is much better food in much better establishments than Chipotle. Frankly, I would rather have had Taco Bell. :shrug:

I wrote the company a complaint. They responded (which was nice) and offered me two free burritos. Which I'll never use, but it was a decent gesture.

I live in a third world country and all my cards were upgraded to chip years ago. NFC readers are starting to appear over here too. I wonder why America is behind on this.

It's massive. And also people don't take to change well. Capital One for instance offers chip cards now, but they don't offer PINs with them claiming they're too hard for customers to grasp. So we get signatures instead. Which is useless overseas. And really useless in general. Or even if PINs are offered, card issuers don't enforce them or prioritize signature over them.

Fat chance we'll get other technology common overseas anytime soon. It's a mess.

OnPoint

Went to a Chipotle for the first time last month. Store has only been open for maybe nine weeks. I'm not compelled to ever go to one again. My girlfriend and I were there for about 30-45 minutes. The joint wasn't exactly hopping. We had to search to find a table that was clean enough to consider eating at. The whole time we were there, not a soul ever came out to clean up a single table. That, coupled with the overall mediocrity of the food sealed this as a one-off thing. There is much better food in much better establishments than Chipotle. Frankly, I would rather have had Taco Bell. :shrug:

I wrote the company a complaint. They responded (which was nice) and offered me two free burritos. Which I'll never use, but it was a decent gesture.

Sounds like a poorly run location. The one I frequent is the opposite of this.

If you don't want those two free burritos though, shoot me a PM :)

Oscar

Wow this would actually make sense for me.

I feel like I'm secure af with my CC, but recently got hit with a $266 fraudulent charge labeled "Flashrouter".

It got handled, but yeah I'm guessing this was what caused the charge.

I go to chipotle regularly during business trips.

Linkura

Companies think that if you complain, you just want free shit. NO. We want you to fix the fucking problem, assholes.

I do know a lot of people complain just to get free shit. But nowadays I have to include in any complaint that I don't want free shit and want them to just fix the actual problem.

Manzoon

Banned
One Chipotle opened up in my town right by a locally famous independent burrito place, as far as I know the only people that eat at this chipotle are out of towners or college freshmen.

Like half the chip readers in my town don't work with my debit card for some damn reason. So it's 50/50 when I go to a store and I have to try the chip twice before having to either swipe or have an employee punch the numbers in. Super annoying.

Dishwalla

Banned
Most places are getting chip readers but at so many stores they don't work. There's nothing more annoying than sticking your card into the chip reader and being told by the cashier that the reader doesn't work, meaning you have to swipe your card. And it's not a rare occurrence, it happens all the time.

OmegaX

It's massive. And also people don't take to change well. Capital One for instance offers chip cards now, but they don't offer PINs with them claiming they're too hard for customers to grasp. So we get signatures instead. Which is useless overseas. And really useless in general. Or even if PINs are offered, card issuers don't enforce them or prioritize signature over them.

Fat chance we'll get other technology common overseas anytime soon. It's a mess.
I've seen that here, only debit cards require pin while credit cards require signature. Although, some places like subway won't require signature for credit cards if the payment is below certain amount.

A lot of places in the bay area have the tap to pay units. You just need a credit card that you can tap with. When I was with Wells Fargo, my basic debit/credit card was tap enabled and that was like 5 years ago. If you see three little waves ))) on your card, you can tap.

Wells Fargo had the tap-enabled cards for years (it was a feature called PayWave, I think). Recently did away with them, though.

A lot of places in the bay area have the tap to pay units. You just need a credit card that you can tap with. When I was with Wells Fargo, my basic debit/credit card was tap enabled. If you see three little waves ))) on your card, you can tap.

That timing!

KingV

A lot of places force the chip if the chip is on your card.

Stores are held responsible for 100% of the loses someone takes if their data is stolen by means not regarding the chip. Unless this hasn't passed yet, can't remember.

This is indeed the case, but it's also fairly new. Retail stores have been operating for a long time without having to eat fraud losses... and now they do.

chekhonte

goddamn it. I have used 1 CC and 2 debit cards at a location that was hit right near where I work.

Well that was easier than I thought. I had an unactivated CC that they sent with with a chip to replace my old. One of my banks issued me a card in person and my other bank is sending me one.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit. I never go to Chipotle. Went to an academic conference at UF and ate there during those dates. FML.

I don't know about Chipotle but this is a HUGE issue on Miami, specially for brazilian tourists.

I went to Miami with my wife to shop for baby stuff last year and six months later someone used my CC data to buy stuff online on US sites. My credit card was charged 52K dollars before someone from the bank noticed that there was something wrong.

I'm pretty sure my card was cloned at a Walgreens close to the place I rented.

They usually use stolen credit card data on the weekends because banks are closed and it takes more time to detect the fraud.

I think I heard on a podcast recently that south Florida is a massive hotbed for id theft and cc fraud so that makes sense

I went days after, i guess im in the clear. Wasnt any good anyway... like how do you not have Chipotle Ranch i mean your company name is Chipotle and your competitors carry it.

dpunk3

That thing takes so much longer and is so much more finicky, it's not difficult to imagine why.

Lolwut? It's literally like 5x easier to stick your card in and wait till it says "Approved". Almost as easy as double tapping the home button on my iPhone and hovering it over the POS system, but considering not everyone has adopted ApplePay (and other fucking places like Walmart and Target are adopting their own NFC payment system that blows nuts) I guess it'll have to do.

And look what happened here! You likely can find a better Mexican place or a better fast-casual place in town other than settling for Chipotle.

But I really like Chipotle lol. I like other stores around the area but I don't see what's wrong with Chipotle in the rotation.

Dishwalla

Banned
Checked my bank statements and while the location I eat at occasionally is on the list, I didn't visit Chipotle between March 24 and April 18th(visited a Moe's during that time frame though). Glad I dodged that bullet.

Top Bottom