• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4: Reveal Trailer At 11 PM PDT, March 26th

RoKKeR

I wouldn't trust the press anyway. Not in a nefarious 'oh they're accepting goodybags' kind of way, just because they don't know Battlefield half as well as we do, so I'll digest the footage and information and make decisions for myself on whether the series is going in the right direction, and whether Battlefield 4 is indeed necessary so soon after BF3.

The press thought Gears 2 was a good game.
This is true for every game, isn't it? I mean, press loved Halo 4, and look at the response that game has gotten from hardcore/longtime fans. I don't take opinion pieces on pre-released games too seriously, but I do pay attention to the details.

I do agree that they don't know Battlefield like we do.

Reiko

Banned
I wouldn't trust the press anyway. Not in a nefarious 'oh they're accepting goodybags' kind of way, just because they don't know Battlefield half as well as we do, so I'll digest the footage and information and make decisions for myself on whether the series is going in the right direction, and whether Battlefield 4 is indeed necessary so soon after BF3.

The press thought Gears 2 was a good game.

Gears 2 really was too good.

The press is going to compliment DICE and BF4 until they get their review copy, which is why I stick to gameplay videos (fuck CGI), forums, and stuff like that to judge games. If I'm watching a review, I might as well put it on mute because I'm just there for the gameplay montage.

Raven77

New bits from Battlefieldo

http://battlefieldo.com/threads/new-battlefield-4-details-emerged.9662/

From a very credible source we can gather the following information being shared with the audience. Buckle up my fellow Battlefield enthusiasts, here's a list of the information and details released at the press conference:

• Frostbite 2 is now just a faded memory engraved in the back of our minds. Frostbite 3. No further explanation needed.
  • Tomorrow, Battlefield.com - the official site of the Battlefield franchise - will get a new design overhaul more fitting to the Battlefield 4 setting.
  • A new trailer concerning Battlefield 4 will show up on the official Battlefield website tomorrow.
  • Improved, more efficient destruction will be applied in Battlefield 4. Which, obviously is to be expected with a new Frostbite engine.

Nothing too terribly exciting or unexpected.

RoKKeR

Also, the Frostbite news gives more credit to Johan Andersson's (lead FB designer) trip to the GDC for the event. There will probably be some next gen/Frostbite redesign talk.

Reiko

Banned
gokusupersaiyaniiinvp7eq0.png

Frostbite 2 has died. Frostbite 3 lives. Long live the king.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Already talk of GPU upgrade? B-b-but I just bought a GTX 690 man. lol
Looking forward to what the new engine can bring in terms of physics and real-time lighting.

BF2's commander system was incredibly weird. Some random duder basically gets super powers that can tip the whole game in one direction or the other. Someone had to do it but a good CO wasn't doing any of the things that most people bought BF2 for. How many of the ~15 mil BF3 players even want that role, or would be competent at it?

Well, from my experience playing BF2, which I think I played for like 1 trillion hours, there were plenty of people who wanted the role and were competent at it.

All the super powers a commander has can all be taken out, and with commanders on both teams there's no advantage.

You can mutiny if you're dissatisfied.

It was a great gameplay feature and I loved playing commander. It adds a strategy element that is absent with just squads (especially with BF3's shitty, idiotic chat system that only lets you chat to squad members with whom you started a party game).

KyleN

Banned
Do you know for sure? I'm not even saying they are confirmed facts, just posting what I see. Despite the website they represent, they have been fairly reliable. KyleN if you know otherwise I'll gladly stand corrected.
Im not saying its fake either.. But all posts from them are from leaks etc and i just dont like how they take credit for it most of the time. They act like they know everything about BF4, but in reality they know just as much as everyone els. Nothing. Except the leaks ofc.. Wich is not coming from them originally..

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, from my experience playing BF2, which I think I played for like 1 trillion hours, there were plenty of people who wanted the role and were competent at it.

All the super powers a commander has can all be taken out, and with commanders on both teams there's no advantage.

You can mutiny if you're dissatisfied.

It was a great gameplay feature and I loved playing commander. It adds a strategy element that is absent with just squads (especially with BF3's shitty, idiotic chat system that only lets you chat to squad members with whom you started a party game).
I think they should split some of the CO's abilities among squad leaders. At least you can change squads if you're not being helped. If a BF2 player has no memories of raging at an incompetent CO that no one would vote kick out it's because they repressed them.

The CO could give the squad leaders whatever resource they need to recharge their abilities, as an incentive to follow orders.

Raven77

I think they should split some of the CO's abilities among squad leaders. At least you can change squads if you're not being helped. If a BF2 player has no memories of raging at an incompetent CO that no one would vote kick out it's because they repressed them.

The CO could give the squad leaders whatever resource they need to recharge their abilities, as an incentive to follow orders.

These are great ideas.

DICE won't show PS360 footage until the beta. They always hide it.

I expect we'll see a mix of PC and next gen consoles.

I say if they've made a deal with Sony, it will show the PS4 symbols on vehicles and melee whatnot. If not, just unmarked and we can assume it's a high end PC.

and to people waiting:
t1364364000z4.png

Dennis

Banned
I say if they've made a deal with Sony, it will show the PS4 symbols on vehicles and melee whatnot. If not, just unmarked and we can assume it's a high end PC.

and to people waiting:
t1364364000z4.png

Dicey, no.

I am going to be sleeping the sleep of the innocent in 9 hours.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BF4Central said:
Battlefield 4 is currently being revealed behind closed doors in Stockholm to the Swedish press and gamers. And the first details about the game have emerged.

Many suspected that Battlefield 4 would be powered by an updated Frostbite 2 engine — the same that powers BF3. Now it appears that Battlefield 4 is getting a brand new engine, Frostbite 3, filled with tons of new features built from the ground up.

Among the new additions is a much improved destruction feature where buildings can be completely destroyed (like in Bad Company 2, only at a much greater level and detail), a better lighting system, new animations, a brand new weather system, and more.

We’ll be hearing a lot more about Frostbite 3 and the technology of Battlefield 4 over the next few days. Stay tuned!
Source: http://bf4central.com/2013/03/battlefield-4-engine-frostbite-3/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No WAY is BF4 getting a new engine. They put so much money into FB2, they built it to be next-gen ready, and if it's an even beefier engine it'll run like turds on current gen platforms. An updated FB2? Sure. FB3? Nu-uh.
I don't think it not really being a new engine precludes them from renaming it.

Just look at "Creation Engine".

Top Bottom