• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

Empty

absolute disaster. what if bayern only win the bundesliga by a single digit points margin this time around. im literally shaking just thinking about it.

absolute disaster. what if bayern only win the bundesliga by a single digit points margin this time around. im literally shaking just thinking about it.

If they do that and win the CL 🤔 id say great trade off. If no CL then yea it would atrocious

This result was pretty bad, but there is a huge bright side these last two weeks.

> Ribs complains about being taken off 79' after playing like ass. Then complaints to the German media like a baby.
> This gives Coman two games in a row to start since the coach has to put his foot down.
> Coman impresses and plays better than Ribs has in 1.5 years.
> Ribs plays today and plays like trash.

These last two weeks are pushing Ribery out of the starting XI and giving either Coman or James the chance to fight it out now. For me, it should be Coman because he has insane pace, great dribbling and sweet technique. It might have taken Ancelotti until the end of the season to finally push Ribery out, but for me it's obvious at this point and Ribery's hubris has actually been the cause of it. I suspect Coman/James start in every major CL and big Bundesliga game from now on.

We are in the era of seeing transitions happening before our eyes all in one season.
GOATmich replacing Lahm
Coman/James replacing Ribery

Carlo might even go crazy and bench Robben for James and replace all 3 of the old guard in one summer lol.. I think Robben still starts this year and Mueller/Coman/James fight it out for 2/3 positions.

Ancelotti Raus
calma

giphy.gif

Jack cw

First we need to even get close to compete with the other teams in Bundesliga.
Then we'll likely get humiliated by PSG.
Leipzig kicking us out of the Cup.

This is Klinsmann levels of bad.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
such a dumb fuck

is he that wrong?

Rodgers team has Suarez for their attack, with Gerrard as well, now they have the front three, defence was shit for both

You could argue their top 4 finish last year was because of us (somehow) getting even worse as well as Utd under-performing

Slightly OT but last weekend I ordered Pizza and when the Delivery guy came I was watching PL. He asked are you watching Soccer? I said yes its PL. He said he is a PL fan too and he plays soccer. Asked which team I support? I said Chelsea and then he said he used to support Liverpool, but that was long ago and now he is a Real Madrid fan.
Not a good time for him now lol.

is he that wrong?

Rodgers team has Suarez for their attack, with Gerrard as well, now they have the front three, defence was shit for both

You could argue their top 4 finish last year was because of us (somehow) getting even worse as well as Utd under-performing
Or you could argue that the points total needed to finish 4th was way higher than it normally is

spidye

Says a lot when even fucking Mats Hummels who is the nicest guy on this planet critisizes the tactics on live television

A draw at home after a 2:0 lead...

Dortmund will be 3 points in front of Bayern when they win against Gladbach tomorrow. what is more likely, Bayern continuing playing like shit or Dortmund fucking up?

Red Devil

still cant believe sky sports have a dedicated football channel with billboards in high streets saying never miss a game etc when they dont even show half of them, fucking stupid,

My fucking sky guide is shite

tbf though, 80% of them are not televised, which is a fucking joke

Interesting. But even if Sky doesn't have them, somebody else is showing them on TV or at least will have them available via streaming within the UK, right?

Says a lot when even fucking Mats Hummels who is the nicest guy on this planet critisizes the tactics on live television

Dortmund will be 3 points in front of Bayern when they win against Gladbach tomorrow. what is more likely, Bayern continuing playing like shit or Dortmund fucking up?

Season is long. I would take the CL right now if it meant sacrificing DFB and BL. What did Mats say?

spidye

Season is long. I would take the CL right now if it meant sacrificing DFB and BL. What did Mats say?

you really believe we will acheive anything with this current team and manager?

„Wir haben sie leider ins Spiel zurückgelassen. (...) Dann ist so ein Spiel offen. Wir haben dann zwei- oder dreimal die Entscheidung verpasst. Wir wollten, aber wir waren taktisch nicht gut aufgestellt. Ich habe versucht einzuwirken, aber es war schwierig, alle auf dem Platz zu erreichen“, urteilte der Abwehrchef des FC Bayern."

http://sportbild.bild.de/bundesliga...omas-mueller-mats-hummels-53304962.sport.html

PowderedToast

He's not wrong.
it's a fluff piece and calling it surface analysis is being generous

I personally think Rodgers is a good manager, so is klopp. comparing them in this way is reductive, loaded and dumb

he knows he's shaping the debate as a pundit but has nothing to offer the conversation

the cause of our form is fine margins. if you really want to be insightful about klopp's strengths and weaknesses be my guest, he's not infallible. but this kind of stuff doesn't help at all.

Timbuktu

He's not wrong. I know Klopp is popular and charismatic but Liverpool haven't really improved much, if any.

Rogers overall was pretty good, Liverpool almost won the league with him. So not improving compared with when he had SAS and Gerrard isn't that much of a slight. The team was a mess by the time he left though, so it has progressed since then.

PowderedToast

He's not wrong. I know Klopp is popular and charismatic but Liverpool haven't really improved much, if any.
it's literally clickbait tho

compared to rodgers third season - which by many was considered to be untenable - we have improved hugely

If you want my theory, I think the city loss affected us mentally more than was admitted to. the form is largely psychological.

DBT85

Interesting. But even if Sky doesn't have them, somebody else is showing them on TV or at least will have them available via streaming within the UK, right?
Only way to watch them in the UK is via streams which is, technically, illegal. Not surprisingly, most don't care because there is no legal way of watching live unless you're in the ground.

Labadal

Looking forward to the Leicester game, tomorrow. Two highlights for me will be:
1. How many chances will we waste?
2. Who will make a defensive mistake?

Also, maybe, this weekend, I can actually get above the average points in FPL.

Kyoufu

it's literally clickbait tho

compared to rodgers third season - which by many was considered to be untenable - we have improved hugely

If you want my theory, I think the city loss affected us mentally more than was admitted to. the form is largely psychological.

The club *should* be competing for the title and that's what Rodgers had them do for a season so I think it's fair for people to say Liverpool haven't done what they are capable of doing.

But that's just my view on LFC. I'm not a Liverpool fan so I'm probably talking shite anyway.

Zasa

He was sent off for trying to make moves on Gareth Barry in the FA Cup though

Do you think love can bloom even on a battlefield?
Sounds like a classic case of ref jealousy. Who wouldn't want a prolonged cuddle with that sexy, bearded, man.

Looking forward to the Leicester game, tomorrow. Two highlights for me will be:
1. How many chances will we waste?
2. Who will make a defensive mistake?

Also, maybe, this weekend, I can actually get above the average points in FPL.

At least it's the last game Mané will be suspended so should look better when he comes back.

Kyoufu

At least it's the last game Mané will be suspended so should look better when he comes back.

I'm sad that Mane returns to play against us. Would have been more hopeful of getting something out of that match if he was still suspended. Oh well.

I hope Rafa knows Liverpool well enough to beat them.

Reminder that Costa leaves the PL without ever receiving a red card 😇

What a good clean guy! Gutted to see him go 😭

Seen Jose and Pep's comments on the league cup today, not surprised Pep doesn't rate it because he's a cunt but surprised Jose doesn't seem to be a fan when he's won it 4 times?

Kyoufu

Seen Jose and Pep's comments on the league cup today, not surprised Pep doesn't rate it because he's a cunt but surprised Jose doesn't seem to be a fan when he's won it 4 times?

Nobody gives a shit about the league cup tbh.

It's idiotic to compare the current state of a team to the entire reign of a manager when said reign had so many ups and downs

Under Rodgers we had 7 distinct periods

1- Promising yet frustrating transition to his style
2- Solid contenders for a CL spot
3- Brilliant but fragile reincarnation of Newcastle circa 97
4- Turgid shit
5- Surprising steamroller/house of cards hybrid
6- Shameful
7- Treading water while waiting for a better manager

Right now we're better than we were in four of those periods, and obviously nowhere near as good as we were in one

So there are obviously two logical periods with which to compare us. One, when we were at our best under Rodgers, and two, when he departed.

The first is unreasonable, the second is based on so little evidence that it's stupid. That period lasted like 10 games, to be compared to a 4-game wobble that we're in right now

tldr: Shearer can shove his soundbite up his arse

There's plenty to criticise us for without trying to get your name on the second-to-back page of the tabloids

you really believe we will acheive anything with this current team and manager?

„Wir haben sie leider ins Spiel zurückgelassen. (...) Dann ist so ein Spiel offen. Wir haben dann zwei- oder dreimal die Entscheidung verpasst. Wir wollten, aber wir waren taktisch nicht gut aufgestellt. Ich habe versucht einzuwirken, aber es war schwierig, alle auf dem Platz zu erreichen“, urteilte der Abwehrchef des FC Bayern."

http://sportbild.bild.de/bundesliga...omas-mueller-mats-hummels-53304962.sport.html
I mean, he's not really throwing the coach under the bus.. :\ He is right in his evaluation. Lets be real here though, Crapreich fucked up, then Robben, Kimmich, Ribery (facepalm), Tolisso all had chances to close this game on several occasions and blew it. I'm annoyed the defense isn't doing better to help out the backup GK. No reason for them

Next game things should be different though. Alaba for Rafinha, Coman for Ribery, Thiago for Rudy. Massive improvements at every level. I sense James will replace either Robben or Mueller. Martinez/Sule probably to replace Boateng who blew it for the goal. I'm not liking the shitty leadership by the two seasoned CBs. Hummels was amateur hour the previous games, Boateng this time. Those two played like clowns vs Madrid as well, the biggest reasons after the ref to sort the series. Mistake after mistake. Someone needs to hold these guys accountable, the Sule signing is proving to be smarter and smarter over time.

Costa looks like a convict whos ready to stab somebody anytime.
This is one of those situations where you should judge a book by its cover.

T-Rex.

Banned
is he that wrong?

You have to go back to the 13/14 season for the last time Arsenal gained more than 75 points though. We were better than yourselves and Utd (in the league) and deserved to finish ahead of you.

I think people are overreacting to this blip tbh. We got battered by the best team in England after going down a man down, alright we shouldn't have capitulated like we did, but whatever they're so strong going forward that it can happen to anyone. We then drew against one of the better teams in La Liga in a match where we dominated them for like 80% of the game, again not an ideal result but not the worst one either. Burnley game was bad, but they've taken points off both Chelsea and Spurs already this season. And then finally the Caraboa, who's arsed? We were playing Flanagan, Grujic, Solanke etc.

Manager's only care about the league cup when they know they don't have a shot at the league title.

Pennywise

Dortmund fucking up.

First we need to even get close to compete with the other teams in Bundesliga.
Then we'll likely get humiliated by PSG.
Leipzig kicking us out of the Cup.

This is Klinsmann levels of bad.
For all the blame that Klinsmann rightfully gets, he had to work with alot of shit players compared to Ancelotti.

tim.mbp

Atlético Madrid vs Sevilla
Hoffenheim vs Schalke 04
SPAL vs Napoli
Borussia Dortmund vs Borussia M'gladbach
Juventus vs Torino

My day is full.

Fucking lol.

Gave everything? What, when he refused to even turn up for pre-season training?

Hasn't given half a shit this entire calendar year. If he hadn't checked out of the club last January and coasted through the back half of the season I might actually be upset that he's leaving.

Top Bottom