• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You wouldn't believe what my gamestop employee told me.

joelseph

It would almost be worth working at a place like that just to deal with the customers that are internet educated and ready for a fight!

arne

I wished I was witness to one of these conversations when i was repping MS. I could own them so bad.

ha.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I love the people posting WELL IT'S GAMESTOP WHAT DO U EXPECT LOL GAMESTOP.

This has nothing to do with GameStop. There are people like this in EVERY STORE THAT SELLS GAMES. Every store that sells video games has at LEAST one person like this.

Hate on GameStop for good reasons, stop making up reasons to hate them, when this is no different than any retail store.

Proelite

omg rite said:
I love the people posting WELL IT'S GAMESTOP WHAT DO U EXPECT LOL GAMESTOP.

This has nothing to do with GameStop. There are people like this in EVERY STORE THAT SELLS GAMES. Every store that sells video games has at LEAST one person like this.

Hate on GameStop for good reasons, stop making up reasons to hate them, when this is no different than any retail store.

In the case of my experience, these are actually well-educated salespersons making shit up to foward their own biases. The aggregate effect of this mentality is very detrimental to sony and microsoft, since these are the people that are actually selling the 360s and ps3es.

arena08

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
the saddest part of all of this is that they never ever talk about Dreamcast 2

i mean WHAT THE HELL MAN?

I would say the guy that spends time pondering which is worse in said situation.

touche

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JDSN said:
Bring in the cats?
4q8zwvl.png

Allow me to channel the guy from Billy Madison in response to what the GameStop employee said:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You should've asked for a pre-order.

bdoughty

Banned
Yea the conversation went just like that. No mention of reserves or Game Informer magazine = fake! You failed.

ME: It's nice talking to you. I tell my forum about xbox ultimate.
GT: Loser says what?
ME: What?

bdoughty

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
He could've just been taking you on for a ride.

Those outside London, UK. Making a fool out of you, practical joke/playing around.

It is a fairly common term here in the states.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
How much of that conversation was real? Two lines?

I actually think the best part of going to these stores is spreading rumors like this. Most employees at the ones I've been to are so gullible they'll start spreading shit to other people.

It's just like the time my friend convinced this incredibly stupid girl (we're talking failed high school in the most epic of ways) that adolf hitler was the name of the actor who provided the voice for kermit the frog, and on a separate occasion that Dwight Eisenhower was a member of the super bowl winning Chicago Bears football team.

Because you know she's going to repeat that shit.

aoi tsuki

Favre4435 said:
How much of that conversation was real? Two lines?
Welcome to video game retail. Between the pressure to sell at places like GameStop and Electronics Boutique and the fact that not everyone is skilled at parsing the truth from bullshit, stories like these aren't exactly uncommon. i worked at Babbages/GameStop for a few years and heard some stupid shit as well. But i've had my fun and whatnot and it's just tired now. Unless i mention an obscure game and the clerk happens to know of it, i try to keep all communication related to the clerk getting me a game, taking my form of payment, and degreeting me (or whatever it's called) as i leave. There's nothing worse than a clerk who feels the need to "educate" you on some unsubstantiated and likely untrue rumor he read on a blog that should prevent you from buying System X or whatever.

Kewk

Banned
Kinda reminds me of the time a a blockbuster employee tried to convince me that they were not going to rent 360 games yet because Microsoft was going to do a recall on all 360's... :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The sad thing is, given Microsoft's recent track record, his story is actually believable.

Kewk

Banned
ZealousD said:
The sad thing is, given Microsoft's recent track record, his story is actually believable.

It was never believable. The failure rates never even came close to making it believable.

Gozan

omg rite said:

Actually, it's a semi-secret Gamestop policy. You see, they've identified the well-informed hardcore player as the biggest spending group of their customers, and research of this group has shown that they derive great enjoyment from displaying their superior knowledge in online forums, especially in arguments with clueless idiots. Therefore GS management has decided to plant one such clueless idiot at every store, whose job it is to make the most outrageous claims to hardcore gamers to draw them into discussions. These CI are to never sway in the face of logical arguments, but only hard facts, which the hardcore must find on the internet, and return to the store to present to the idiot. This psychological need to be proven right has been proven a vastly more compelling reason to return to the store than traditional factors such as price, service and selection of goods, and long time customers can actually feel disappointment upon visiting a GameStop and not being faced with blithering ignorance.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Gozan said:
Actually, it's a semi-secret Gamestop policy. You see, they've identified the well-informed hardcore player as the biggest spending group of their customers, and research of this group has shown that they derive great enjoyment from displaying their superior knowledge in online forums, especially in arguments with clueless idiots. Therefore GS management has decided to plant one such clueless idiot at every store, whose job it is to make the most outrageous claims to hardcore gamers to draw them into discussions. These CI are to never sway in the face of logical arguments, but only hard facts, which the hardcore must find on the internet, and return to the store to present to the idiot. This psychological need to be proven right has been proven a vastly more compelling reason to return to the store than traditional factors such as price, service and selection of goods, and long time customers can actually feel disappointment upon visiting a GameStop and not being faced with blithering ignorance.
Whatever is in that pipe you have needs to go around

soco

i think what's more surprising is that people still find the silly things surprising that their local eb/gamestop employees tell them (or really most employee trying to consumer electronics).

although i guess i'm kinda surprised i haven't had one tell me that nintendo is dead, the 360 abuses little children, and the ps3 kills dolphins.

Dahbomb

Posting "LOL @ what this guy at GS told me the other day" thread should be a bannable offense at GAF now.

I swear every time I read the stories I lose a few IQ points. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The original post in a dramatic interpretation!

From the office of Dr. Pro Elitus III said:
A tale of shock. Another fool from the Game Stop Company causes flabergastation.

I had taken in an evening at the theater to partake in a performance from none other than Sir Christian Of Tucker and His Excellancy Ji Akii Xian, when the idea came unto me to pay a visit to my local retail establishment. I wished to learn if the new premimum electronic X-boxes with installed high definition multimedia interface had been released for purchase by the gentry. And here, gentlemen, is an account of this inquiry.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: Shopkeep! I wish to know if the Premium set with the high definition multimedia interface has yet been stocked.

Shopkeeper: My good sir, these boxes are known as 'Elites.' As always, this establishment stocks them yonder.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: Allow me to point to the box of preference. It is the X-box in the area here to which I am referring.

Shopkeeper: Sir, such a box has yet to enter into assembly!

Dr. Pro Elitus III: I have seen with mine own eyes photographic evidence of the box in question. The electronic Wide Web of The World displays it with much prominance.

Shopkeeper: I am afraid, SIR, that you have been misinformed by rogues of the Wide Web of The World. Indeed such trickery is often played about for amusement.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: I cannot believe this news stems from a source of truth!

Shopkeeper: Sir, allow me an explanation. Premiums are no longer in fashion. Elites shall take their place, and the lowliest of the lowly, the 'core,' shall be put to its final resting place.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: SURELY YOU JEST!

Shopkeeper: -out plans. In fact, at a later date, the hailed 'Ultimate' shall see its release, attracting the eye of all gentry in fashion.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: I know not of such a box. Explain this to me here AND NOW, WITH A GREAT HASTE.

Shopkeeper: Sir, I take it a gentleman of such standing already has knowledge of Sony Oriental Trading Company and their 'Blue-Raye' devices. This new product of the Microsoft Manufacturing Company shall compete, stocked with a high definition multimedia interface and a high-definition digital video disc drive!

Dr. Pro Elitus III: My fine shop keeper, do you mean to say the Microsoft Manufacturing Company shall manufacture high definition digital video discs for the purpose of entertaining?

Shopkeeper: Indeed! The Microsoft Manufacturing Company has an aim to engage the Sony Oriental Trading Company head-on!

Dr. Pro Elitus III: Surely they would do no such thing! Nine million bourgeoisie have made investments into the X-Box previously. The Microsoft Manufacturing Company would not dare bring upon them an insult of such high caliber.

Shopkeeper: Sir, let me give my personal assurance that these gentlemen remain in the good hand of the Microsoft Manufacturing Company.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: You must see that the product of discussion is unable to make use of high definition digital video discs!

Shopkeeper: It is simple, my good sir. The X-Box may be able to do so. It is a mechanism of limitless resource. Making an addition to it, making use of the 'Ultimate' and the heralded high definition digital video disc component results in a brilliance of higher definition! DO YOU SEE SIR?

It was at this moment that the shop keeper had rendered me speechless by his words. Did the fool truly believe the spew from his feeding hole?!

I recovered from my surprise and made upon him another inquiry.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: And do have a prediction to the outcome of the current battle? Who shall emerge victorious?

Shopkeeper: Sir, I am afraid the war has only but just begun. Blue-Raye and the high definition digital video disc are both of youthful and well-made stock.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: No, my inquiry pertains to the manufacturers of such fascinating electrical wonderment.

Shopkeeper: It is my prediction that the Microsoft Manufacturing Company shall be the victor! This I do believe.

Dr. Pro Elitus III: Do you not know of the 'Nintendo Wii?' The Sony Oriental Trading Company and the Microsoft Manufacturing Company both tremble before this giant from distant eastern lands!

Shopkeeper: Surely a point of good intention, sir, but you see, the Nintendo Wii exists within another plane of sale entirely!

Dr. Pro Elitus III: You mean to say it is a member of the new generation?

Shopkeeper: Indeed, sir, indeed!

Dr. Pro Elitus III: My good shopkeeper. I do thank you for your patience and words. It is time to depart and make the valuable information I have learned this eve known to the members of the New Age of The Gaming Forum!

Shopkeeper: Travel with care, kind sir. Be well in your endeavor!

AND THUS, Gentlemen, I conclude my findings on the future of the Microsoft Manufacturing Corporation and its next great production. The item shall see release in the forthcoming year of two-thousand and eight. The brilliance of high definition will finally be realized!

--Dr. Pro Elitus III

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I've tried preordering so many things only to find out the person at the counter doesn't know that it exists.

Firewire

Banned
"GT: Microsoft told me they're making the elites into premiums, and later they're releasing xbox ultimate."

and you believe this shit?

When I was buying a Wii, the casher told me to get a protection plan because tons of Wiis come back broken.

And LOL at Lyte Edge, good job!

Top Bottom