• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A dead last team, who had a historically bad season getting bumped out of the top 3 ain't right and I don't think is good for the league.
The entire purpose of this is to deter tanking, and that is exactly what it does. Teams shouldn't be rewarding for being shitty.

PillarEN

The entire purpose of this is to deter tanking, and that is exactly what it does. Teams shouldn't be rewarding for being shitty.

Yep. Nothing stops anyone from getting their own Radulov (improving their team in general outside of draft picks). Speaking of which. Didn't Varlamov pretty much squeal with excitement that he would sign with the Avs last summer? Whatever happened to that?

lupinko

Watch the Quebec Coyotes be the next Canadian team to win a cup within a few years after they get relocated, it'll be the reverse of when the Nordiques moved to Colorado

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

So Bergevin will trade Carey Price to the Yotes to hit the cap floor prior to relocating to Quebec City?

Socreges

Banned
Well, teams should be rewarded for being shitty. That's why the Cup winner picks 30th, as an example. The teams worse off get the best prospects, and the most successful teams pick last. It's meant to foster parity and balance. But when a team like the Flyers can sneak in and get 2nd overall? The system has probably gone too far in the opposite direction.

tldr; they could create a better lottery and draft system that discourages tanking but balances where the prospects go

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Also Smelly. I just learned today that Aloy's voice actress is the same as your bae in life is strange. Extra incentive for you to like and play this game :D

Samyy

So it looks like I'm going to be visiting Vancouver with a friend for 3 days in July, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for must-do things around the city?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Also Smelly. I just learned today that Aloy's voice actress is the same as your bae in life is strange. Extra incentive for you to like and play this game :D

I already platinum'd it a few weeks ago, way ahead of you

So it looks like I'm going to be visiting Vancouver with a friend for 3 days in July, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for must-do things around the city?

What kinda food are you into? Vancouver doesnt have a ton of "attractions" per-se, most are outdoorsy activities.

Seawalk
Grouse Mountain
Stanley Park
Kits beach
Queen Elizabeth Park
Granville Island
Steveston harbor if you're at all in Richmond
Gastown

BUT Vancouver has a ton of amazing food places I can recommend on top of that.

Agree that the draft lottery was overcorrected. I think you have to reintroduce a limit on the number of places you can jump up based upon your record. Maybe have only the bottom 7 teams eligible for the top 3 picks or something.

Young guy like you? Kits beach and Stanley Park.

If you're bringing Cake Boss go to Wreck.

lupinko

I think if Patrick goes to the Flyers (if NJ goes for Hischier instead), he should develop into a good big forward under the Flyers system. That organization is good at developing big forwards.

It's a good thing teams aren't being rewarded for being bad with the draft then. A reward would be something like raising individual cap spaces, not giving teams an opportunity to develop a promising young player who could easily walk away from the franchise after a few years. Parity isn't a reward. This doesn't strictly punish tanking and that's incredibly obvious once you look passed the fact that the same team has shown up at the bottom of the standings for several years now. What about the other 3 teams that were fucked out of a top pick?
Yep. Nothing stops anyone from getting their own Radulov (improving their team in general outside of draft picks). Speaking of which. Didn't Varlamov pretty much squeal with excitement that he would sign with the Avs last summer? Whatever happened to that?

Varlamov was in his 3rd year of a 6 year contract this season. I really can't place what you're talking about, or even hinting at.
Ohhhhhhh I misread, I didn't realize you were talking about Radulov signing with the Avs. Yeah, that plan was pretty much DoA after Roy walked. Hell, I don't even think it was going to happen with him here. May have been part of why he left.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

What kinda food are you into? Vancouver doesnt have a ton of "attractions" per-se, most are outdoorsy activities.

Seawalk
Grouse Mountain
Stanley Park
Kits beach
Queen Elizabeth Park
Granville Island
Gastown

Lynn Canyon for some cliff diving.

Samyy

Seawalk
Grouse Mountain
Stanley Park
Kits beach
Queen Elizabeth Park
Granville Island
Gastown

Food recommendations would be great, I think we're staying in Gastown or very close to it! We're budgetting to eat out once a day so some nice dinner options would be appreciated. I think we're both fairly open minded, I'm not a huge fan of seafood though and can't eat beef!

Agree that the draft lottery was overcorrected. I think you have to reintroduce a limit on the number of places you can jump up based upon your record. Maybe have only the bottom 7 teams eligible for the top 3 picks or something.

Young guy like you? Kits beach and Stanley Park.

If you're bringing Cake Boss go to Wreck.

Definitely going to do Stanley park
Lol Wreck looks interesting but I'm travelling with a girl who is not that adventurous

Lynn Canyon for some cliff diving.

Cliff diving o_o

imBask

Banned
There you go, one of the old timer in the french media wrote an article this morning suggesting that Price should consider taking a small cut in his paycheck to give more cap space for Bergevin to work with

We're officially in Mirlte-like territory of homerism

I think if Patrick goes to the Flyers (if NJ goes for Hischier instead), he should develop into a good big forward under the Flyers system. That organization is good at developing big forwards.

Flyers or Devils can do no wrong if they pick either Hischer or Patrick. I'm just shocked that Flyers got 2nd overall but happy for Jhonny

Samyy

You jump like 10-15 feet into water, not super high cliffs. It's also beautiful there to walk around in, and the water is crystal clear, although it was freezing cold when I went in September.

That sounds a lot more appealing lol, will look into!

imBask

Banned
Shipachev won't sign with Montreal

Fuck

Bob Hartley said last week he spoke to many of his friends in the KHL (he was also offered to coach a team there starting next year) and it was 50/50 on Shipachev... many of them don't think he'll be dominant in the NHL

but who knows really

Solo

Vadim Shipachyov, who has his sights set on the NHL, will not be a Montreal Canadien. He's fielding some big offers, Habs looking elsewhere.

I dunno, maybe we dodged a bullet if he's getting bigger offers. 0 games NHL experience....

Syrinx

I could see Vegas giving that guy a decent offer, they'll need to reach the cap floor somehow

Speaking of which, what's the state of the cap/floor looking like for next year? Is it going to go up based on the projected Vegas revenue or are they gonna leave it and give Vegas a year or so to catch up?

Top Bottom