• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
[Fugo];235262170 said:
so when's the next chapter coming? Don't tell me it's going on hiatus again T_T

Berserk releases on a monthly schedule when its not on a break so at the end of May. You can always check the magazine it releases in, Young Animal, for its release dates. I believe it releases bi monthly

Farnese....

2C180iN.jpg

I read chapter 349 again and I'm convinced Miura is planting the seeds for something horrid to happen. Serpico reflecting on the journey and acknowledging how much he's grown as a character? Death flag! Roderick actually saying how he wants to die? Big death flag! But my biggest concern is Farnese. I now have a bad feeling about her.

She never felt like she belonged in the group until she took on the position of protecting Casca. When Serpico mentioned that Farnese is stronger and has grown because of Casca, a huge sense of dread washed over me. How will she fit into the group once Casca is back? How will she not get jealous of Guts and Casca's relationship? How is she going to feel if she watches and literally feels Casca's emotions when she was intimate with Guts?

I have very little doubt that Casca is coming back. I don't think she'll be exactly like she was before, but I can't see her being angry with Guts. So where does that leave Farnese? No one to look after anymore plus she'll feel further away from Guts. Two birds one stone! I mean forget about worrying about Casca, I'm worried about Farnese! Keep that behelit far away from her! Something bad is due to happen soon, and I can actually see her using it in a fit of rage and jealousy. I mean someone has to use the behelit! Perhaps her activating it will be how the Godhand attack Elfhelm? **heavy breathing**

Farnese....

2C180iN.jpg

I read chapter 349 again and I'm convinced Miura is planting the seeds for something horrid to happen. Serpico reflecting on the journey and acknowledging how much he's grown as a character? Death flag! Roderick actually saying how he wants to die? Big death flag! But my biggest concern is Farnese. I now have a bad feeling about her.

She never felt like she belonged in the group until she took on the position of protecting Casca. When Serpico mentioned that Farnese is stronger and has grown because of Casca, a huge sense of dread washed over me. How will she fit into the group once Casca is back? How will she not get jealous of Guts and Casca's relationship? How is she going to feel if she watches and literally feels Casca's emotions when she was intimate with Guts?

I have very little doubt that Casca is coming back. I don't think she'll be exactly like she was before, but I can't see her being angry with Guts. So where does that leave Farnese? No one to look after anymore plus she'll feel further away from Guts. Two birds one stone! I mean forget about worrying about Casca, I'm worried about Farnese! Keep that behelit far away from her! Something bad is due to happen soon, and I can actually see her using it in a fit of rage and jealousy. I mean someone has to use the behelit! Perhaps her activating it will be how the Godhand attack Elfhelm? **heavy breathing**
I actually think Farnese is tied to Schierke just as much as she's tied to Casca. It was Farnese's choice to be a witch apprentice and it's something Schierke likes doing as well. I think she'll just take to her witchcraft with more dedication when she realizes she can't be in love with Guts. We also don't know her renewed Casca would interact with Farnese and vice versa. I would think Casca would show appreciation and Farnese would actually like getting to know a non babbling Casca.

Gulz1992

Farnese....

2C180iN.jpg

I think Casca activating the behelit is more likely to happen. The constant reminder of the Skull Knight's warning definitely seems to me like it's foreshadowing this. The reason Casca regressed her mind in the first place was because she couldn't handle what happened at the Eclipse. Even before then she wasn't the most emotionally stable, what with trying to kill herself when she felt that she couldn't go on leading the Hawks.

Combine the trauma of the Eclipse with the fact that she's also a grieving mother and I'd say she has every reason to reach her peak of despair. And I think Farnese's bond with Casca is going to make her qualify as a sacrifice. It would be kind of ironic, really. Farnese always wanted to be useful to the group, and what would be more twisted than becoming useful to Casca as her sacrifice? I'm not sure if Miura would actually go all the way through and kill her off, though. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I actually think Farnese is tied to Schierke just as much as she's tied to Casca. It was Farnese's choice to be a witch apprentice and it's something Schierke likes doing as well. I think she'll just take to her witchcraft with more dedication when she realizes she can't be in love with Guts. We also don't know her renewed Casca would interact with Farnese and vice versa. I would think Casca would show appreciation and Farnese would actually like getting to know a non babbling Casca.

I don't know, with all the foreshadowing in chapter 349, I think it would make more sense for Farnese to slowly become angry and jealous of Casca.

I think Casca activating the behelit is more likely to happen. The constant reminder of the Skull Knight's warning definitely seems to me like it's foreshadowing this. The reason Casca regressed her mind in the first place was because she couldn't handle what happened at the Eclipse. Even before then she wasn't the most emotionally stable, what with trying to kill herself when she felt that she couldn't go on leading the Hawks.

Combine the trauma of the Eclipse with the fact that she's also a grieving mother and I'd say she has every reason to reach her peak of despair. And I think Farnese's bond with Casca is going to make her qualify as a sacrifice. It would be kind of ironic, really. Farnese always wanted to be useful to the group, and what would be more twisted than becoming useful to Casca as her sacrifice? I'm not sure if Miura would actually go all the way through and kill her off, though. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

See now this, this is something I can also see happening eventually. I've accepted Casca coming back, it's now more about the consequences of it.

Zolo

Yeah. Farnese being a witch apprentice is sort of a replacement for her role in the group with her role of having to protect Casca coming to an end.

Casca is a sacrifice, she can't use the behelit. Right ?

I think you're right! How did I forget that? I'm pretty sure she can't use the behelit and can't be a sacrifice again. I guess Farnese will have to sacrifice Schierke. Could you imagine that?! Everyone is busy focusing on Casca coming back and then BOOM! Farnese activates the behelit and sacrifices Schierke. I wonder if Miura would have the guts (pun intended) to do that?! I wouldn't put it past him. It would be unbelievably devastating!
I think I need to stop thinking about these things before I become depressed.

I think you're right! How did I forget that? I'm pretty sure she can't use the behelit and can't be a sacrifice again. I guess Farnese will have to sacrifice Schierke. Could you imagine that?! Everyone is busy focusing on Casca coming back and then BOOM! Farnese activates the behelit and sacrifices Schierke. I wonder if Miura would have the guts (pun intended) to do that?! I wouldn't put it past him. It would be unbelievably devastating!
I think I need to stop thinking about these things before I become depressed.
Well Guts is fucked if that happens since it would be up to him to reign in the beast when he uses the Berserker Armor then. Maybe she would sacrifice Serpico since he has some really distorted feelings towards him. Her band with him makes him the most meaningful sacrifice and she'd probably rival Slan as a God Hand.

Gulz1992

Casca is a sacrifice, she can't use the behelit. Right ?

It was mentioned in the Black Swordsman arc that branded people can't be sacrificed again by someone else. There's no mention about them not being able to make a sacrifice themselves. Slan even encourages Guts to use the behelit during their encounter in Qilphoth, so it's implied that sacrifices still can use it.

Well Guts is fucked if that happens since it would be up to him to reign in the beast when he uses the Berserker Armor then. Maybe she would sacrifice Serpico since he has some really distorted feelings towards him. Her band with him makes him the most meaningful sacrifice and she'd probably rival Slan as a God Hand.

Farnese wouldn't become a member of the Godhand, she'd just become an apostle. But yeah, her sacrificing Serpico is a fairly real possibility.

It was mentioned in the Black Swordsman arc that branded people can't be sacrificed again by someone else. There's no mention about them not being able to make a sacrifice themselves. Slan even encourages Guts to use the behelit during their encounter in Qilphoth, so it's implied that sacrifices still can use it.

Good point! I totally forgot about the conversation Slan had with Guts. So the people most likely to use the behelit are still Farnese and Casca!

lupinko

The berserk PS4 game is less than ¥3000 brand new here (yes bomba), should I buy it or the 30fps is just really terrible for a Musou game.

I don't have a modern pc and I actually cut down on steam purchases.

Kneefoil

I don't think my heart could take Casca becoming an Apostle. Her sacrificing her humanity and becoming Guts' enemy after all this time and effort... It just wouldn't be right. Especially after what Griffith/the God Hand did to Casca and her comrades.

HStallion

I believe both Guts and Casca's souls are now forfeit as sacrifices to Griffith's ascension. They can't be sacrificed by anyone else and can't use a Behelit either.

Gulz1992

I believe both Guts and Casca's souls are now forfeit as sacrifices to Griffith's ascension. They can't be sacrificed by anyone else and can't use a Behelit either.

There's no mention about not being able to use the behelit. They just can't be sacrificed again. Slan's conversation with Guts in Qliphoth implies that they are in fact able to use it.

I don't think my heart could take Casca becoming an Apostle. Her sacrificing her humanity and becoming Guts' enemy after all this time and effort... It just wouldn't be right. Especially after what Griffith/the God Hand did to Casca and her comrades.

Yeah, it would be a little off for Casca to activate the behelit the more I think about it, but man would it be shocking! After all this talk on sacrificing, I think the most likely candidate to use the behelit is Farnese because of Casca, and the person she would sacrifice would be Serpico. As much as I like Serpico, he does seem a bit useless these days. And like JadedWriter said, if Farnese were to sacrifice Schierke, who would then control Guts? Sadly, Serpico does make the most sense. That's my final little prediction.

Yeah, it would be a little off for Casca to activate the behelit the more I think about it, but man would it be shocking! After all this talk on sacrificing, I think the most likely candidate to use the behelit is Farnese because of Casca, and the person she would sacrifice would be Serpico. As much as I like Serpico, he does seem a bit useless these days. And like JadedWriter said, if Farnese were to sacrifice Schierke, who would then control Guts? Sadly, Serpico does make the most sense. That's my final little prediction.
Man I bet Farneses Apostle form would look like an awakened being from Claymore, something pretty, but at the same time straight up nightmare fuel. She'd probably get clobbered though. Between Schierke's OP magic and Berserker Armor Guts she wouldn't last long.

HStallion

There's no mention about not being able to use the behelit. They just can't be sacrificed again. Slan's conversation with Guts in Qliphoth implies that they are in fact able to use it.

That's what I meant when I said their souls are forfeit. They are already marked and doomed by being apart of the Eclipse. They can't use a behelit because their souls are no longer theirs to do as they please with. They belong to Griffith as far as he God Hand and universe are concerned.

Its been a minute but I believe Slann's comments are lamenting the fact someone as fun and interesting as Guts can't join the God Hand.

Gulz1992

That's what I meant when I said their souls are forfeit. They are already marked and doomed by being apart of the Eclipse. They can't use a behelit because their souls are no longer theirs to do as they please with. They belong to Griffith as far as he God Hand and universe are concerned.

Its been a minute but I believe Slann's comments are lamenting the fact someone as fun and interesting as Guts can't join the God Hand.

In the Black Swordsman arc, when the God Hand are summoned by the Count after his defeat, Slan does comment that she'd love Guts to be one of theirs. Conrad replies, "But he hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate, so he can't be among us."

Sounds like they're lamenting the fact that Guts can't join them because he isn't destined to by fate, not because he's branded.

The scene in Qliphoth also makes a point to show the behelit when Slan tells Guts, "Why not make a sacrifice as he did?"

Seems to me like it's strongly implied that sacrifices aren't restricted from being able to use a behelit as long as it's destined for them.

HStallion

In the Black Swordsman arc, when the God Hand are summoned by the Count after his defeat, Slan does comment that she'd love Guts to be one of theirs. Conrad replies, "But he hasn't been ordained by the laws of fate, so he can't be among us."

Sounds like they're lamenting the fact that Guts can't join them because he isn't destined to by fate, not because he's branded.

The scene in Qliphoth also makes a point to focus on the behelit as Slan tells Guts, "Why not make a sacrifice as he did?"

Seems to me like it's strongly implied that sacrifices aren't restricted from being able to use a behelit as long as it's destined for them.

The reason he hasn't ordained is because he is a sacrifice and he is already branded. His destiny was supposed to be one of the many sacrifices to Griffith's rebirth as a member of the Godhand. Destiny has no further plans for Guts as he was supposed to be long dead and sucked into the vortex of souls like everyone else. The reason he can't be sacrificed again is the same reason he can't use a behelit, his soul is forever marked by the brand. So unless someone comes along to show us the brand can be removed fully then I don't think its at all possible.

Gulz1992

The reason he hasn't ordained is because he is a sacrifice and he is already branded. His destiny was supposed to be one of the many sacrifices to Griffith's rebirth as a member of the Godhand. Destiny has no further plans for Guts as he was supposed to be long dead and sucked into the vortex of souls like everyone else.
The reason he can't be sacrificed again is the same reason he can't use a behelit, his soul is forever marked by the brand. So unless someone comes along to show us the brand can be removed fully then I don't think its at all possible.

Yes, that was his destiny, to be a sacrifice to Griffith. That doesn't mean that a branded person can't use a behelit, Guts just can't use it because it isn't his destiny to do so. There is nothing that says a soul marked for sacrifice can't make a sacrifice themselves.

Also, Apostles are able to be branded for sacrifice themselves, as evidenced by the Egg Apostle. So it seems like the requirements for being branded and becoming an Apostle are not the same.

HStallion

Yes, that was his destiny, to be a sacrifice to Griffith. That doesn't mean that a branded person can't use a behelit, Guts just can't use it because it isn't his destiny to do so. There is nothing that says a soul marked for sacrifice can't make a sacrifice themselves.

Also, Apostles are able to be branded for sacrifice themselves, as evidenced by the Egg Apostle. So it seems like the requirements for being branded and becoming an Apostle are not the same.

The Egg Apostle was a special case because it sacrificed its own body as it had nothing else it loved or valued to do so being a vagrant living in a hole in a dumping grounds for bodies. None of the other apostles did anything like that and when they sacrifice something its a loved one, not their own literal flesh and blood. It became an apostle when it became branded, it wasn't branded in another sacrifice ceremony before and then tried to become an apostle.

As to Guts, he can't be sacrificed or use a behelit because his soul is already marked. He can't put his soul up to transform into an apostle/God Hand because as far as the God Hand and universe are concerned, his soul is forfeit when Griffith sacrificed them. His fate is sealed unless some even more amazing set of circumstances occurs to take the brand off his Soul or something along those lines.

Gulz1992

The Egg Apostle was a special case because it sacrificed its own body as it had nothing else it loved or valued to do so being a vagrant living in a hole in a dumping grounds for bodies. None of the other apostles did anything like that and when they sacrifice something its a loved one, not their own literal flesh and blood. It became an apostle when it became branded, it wasn't branded in another sacrifice ceremony before and then tried to become an apostle.

As to Guts, he can't be sacrificed or use a behelit because his soul is already marked. He can't put his soul up to transform into an apostle/God Hand because as far as the God Hand and universe are concerned, his soul is forfeit when Griffith sacrificed them. His fate is sealed unless some even more amazing set of circumstances occurs to take the brand off his Soul or something along those lines.

I don't think circumstances make a difference. The guy was still a sacrifice and he still became an Apostle.

Again, the only thing in the manga that has been confirmed is that a person can only be sacrificed once. Nothing has been said about them not being able to make a sacrifice, and Slan herself has implied that it is in fact possible.

HStallion

I don't think circumstances make a difference. The guy was still a sacrifice and he still became an Apostle.

Again, the only thing in the manga that has been confirmed is that a person can only be sacrificed once. Nothing has been said about them not being able to make a sacrifice, and Slan herself has implied that it is in fact possible.

The reason they can only be sacrificed once is the same reason they can't used a behelit after being marked with the brand.

The Behelit apostle didn't sacrifice everything, it sacrificed its body. This is probably why we never see a human form, it no longer has one.

Gulz1992

The reason they can only be sacrificed once is the same reason they can't used a behelit after being marked with the brand.

Unless at some point someone in the manga says so, this is just speculation. I'm speculating too, but it seems to me that the manga has been hinting at it. We'll just have to wait and see how the story turns out.

rackham

Can't we all just be happy that casca may be getting her sense of self back again?

Edit. After how many years??? Shit made me emotional when I read the latest chapter. Yeah everything could go to shit but there's a chance that it might be kind of slightly ok

Mentioned this over in the Toonami thread, but yeah, I finally decided to read the manga. I've watched all the anime adaptations up until now so I figured it's high time I finally plunge into the source material.

Mentioned this over in the Toonami thread, but yeah, I finally decided to read the manga. I've watched all the anime adaptations up until now so I figured it's high time I finally plunge into the source material.
Just warning you now, a lot of people are caught up so be mindful of what you read on here.

So I just finished Volume 38. Really solid volume, I have so many questions. Also...DAT SLAP.

And then I decided to read the "prototype." Holy shit, Edgelord Guts is hilarious in this one. What a long way his character has come.

HStallion

So I just finished Volume 38. Really solid volume, I have so many questions. Also...DAT SLAP.

And then I decided to read the "prototype." Holy shit, Edgelord Guts is hilarious in this one. What a long way his character has come.

Volume 39 is releasing soon so that should come to the West sometime in the near future, hopefully.

HStallion

Nice, hope so! In the meantime I'll have to read the fan translations of the few remaining chapters and then enjoy the wait with everyone else...

Next episode is end of the this month so you at least will catch up while we're getting new releases.

HStallion

As much as I wanna see what happens with Casca. I'm kinda curious what's going on with Rickert and Silat.

Rickert is going to build them crazy steam punk weapons and they're going to be doing some sort guerrilla campaign against Griffith and his forces.

Rickert is going to build them crazy steam punk weapons and they're going to be doing some sort guerrilla campaign against Griffith and his forces.

Well don't forget about the
time skip from being on elf island. I forgot are the two buff, bald monks with Silat still alive?

HStallion

Well don't forget about the
time skip from being on elf island. I forgot are the two buff, bald monks with Silat still alive?

The Bakiraka are all still alive as far as we know and there are more than the two that were with Silat. I believe we've seen 4 altogether but there could be more.

You know, one of the cool things about Berserk is that, as pointed out on TvTropes, it completely fits the bill for a classical Greek heroic epic:

Berserk fits all of the criteria of an Epic work of fiction. It is a longer-than-average story with a vast setting and huge cast of characters. It depicts events such as wars, catastrophes, and adventures spanning a world and multiple planes of existence and happening over long periods of time. In the middle of all this the main subject is the (anti)heroic protagonist, Guts, who together with his companions goes on an arduous quest in which they perform great deeds and have numerous distinct adventures. As an added bonus it fits some of the guidelines of the classical Greek and Roman epics, as the manga and anime both begin In Medias Res, subsequently showing in flashback How We Got Here, and all versions include at least one trip to the realm of the dead. All that it's missing is an invocation of the artists' muse at the beginning.

HStallion

You know, one of the cool things about Berserk is that, as pointed out on TvTropes, it completely fits the bill for a classical Greek heroic epic:

Hopefully in 2000 years people will still be aware of and maybe even reading the Epic of Guts.

Onemic

I finally finished the conviction arc and am on volume 22 of the series. TFW you see Griffith again....I felt the same rage as guts tbh

Momentary

Banned
First 4 Figures has an early prototype of Guts. They did a fantastic job on the Artiorias figure I purchased from them.

image.png

Hopefully they also do on of him in full berserker mode.

Here's the quality of the Artorias figure.

Top Bottom