• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics coming to Android with enhanced graphics

That doesn't look... THAT much better.

BUT SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS, if they speed up the game that would be a godsend. Even the PSP version had everything moving as slow as molasses.

I know it's apparently one of the best SRPGs/Final Fantasies of all time, but I just couldn't get into it after being spoiled by the lightning quick Advance Wars.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow, I didn't really expect they'd follow through with their promise to rework the sprites to be hi-res. Looks good!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Haven't gotten around to playing the PSP version yet but I'll stick with that since I'll play it on the TV and with a real controller.

ahahaha

Be warned, playing the PSP version is like having rusty nails slowly hammered into your eyeballs. I couldn't stomach more than 10 minutes of it.

Ichabod

Banned
I've been reading through a Tactics playthrough on LP-archive recently and getting all nostalgic. This is so fucking bought. My Nex 10 is ready!

Minsc

Gold Member
ahahaha

Be warned, playing the PSP version is like having rusty nails slowly hammered into your eyeballs. I couldn't stomach more than 10 minutes of it.

Works perfect with the earlier mentioned patch though! And you can even use the difficulty/rebalance mod to make the AI godly. It's the definitive version, with this being a close second if they eliminate the slowdown (I only tried it on an iPhone 4 and while better than un-patched PSP it still had a bit of slowdown, I will definitely try it again when this new update hits on an iPhone 5).

Goli

There was an image floating around in iOS vs Android flame wars about Square's iOS support vs Android support. I can't find it but according to this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_downloadable_games#Mobile_games

There's a lot not released on Android. Don't know how updated this list is, however.

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects...=us&dkId=11&ids=300186801&softwareType=iPhone
vs
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=SQUARE+ENIX+Co.,Ltd.&hl=en
or http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/market/
We know FFIV is coming to Android so basically, out of their big releases only TWEWY and TRFF aren't on Android and aren't coming as far as we know now.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Celebrating 25 years of Final Fantasy with a bunch of touch-based ports, 16-bit asset pillages and remakes. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Celebrating 25 years of Final Fantasy with a bunch of touch-based ports, 16-bit asset pillages and remakes. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Or you can say they're celebrating 25 years of Final Fantasy by making sure that everyone has a chance to play the FF game with the best story ever, mixed with (in my opinion) Sakimoto's best score ever.

Is it a Yeti ? Now it's something eve more rare - smartphone game which doesn't suck :D Once they price drop it to few bucks i could get it as backup for times when i forgotten to charge PSV.

The last time a Final Fantasy Tactics game was on a platform that I could play it on was the PS1 version. I guess the days of these types of games getting a big budget release are long gone.

Grieves

Does anyone have an idea of which version of Android this runs on - I've only got Gingerbread and hardly anything works for it. I suspect ICS will be needed.

Did changing the camera angle sound like the entire earth crumbling after awakening all of the old gods in the original too?

Yes. It was kind of humorous.

Also, smartest thing Square-Enix has done in the past year? It's a close second, anyway. (I'm excited for this. FFT on the iPhone feels so antiquated for an iPhone game.

orioto

Good Art™

FFT%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A3%E3%83%A9%E9%AB%98%E8%A7%A3%E5%83%8F%E5%BA%A6%E5%8C%96.jpg

That's completely redrawn in pixel art, i don't know what you're calling assets pillage...

Well, the update that the iOS versions are getting is supposed to fix some of those issues.

Don't believe their lies.

They also said that about the original iPhone version (we fixed the slowdown issue!) and then again about the iPad version (this time we fixed the slowdown issues for real!) and every single time these ports were complete dogshit that aren't worth spending a buck on it thanks to framerate issues (5fps and lower during spells), etc.

I predict that this version of Final Fantasy Tactics will be just as shitty as all the other ports before. If you want to play Final Fantasy Tactics, get the original on PSN - every other version is complete shit.

jaxword

The PSP FFT was incredible.

The people whining about the slowdown...seriously, guys, it was barely noticeably unless you were spamming huge spells. And then there's the patch anyways.

The PSP FFT was incredible.

The people whining about the slowdown...seriously, guys, it was barely noticeably unless you were spamming huge spells. And then there's the patch anyways.

You probably never played the original. I usually don't care about small issues with ports (didn't give a shit about lower res textures in Metroid Prime on the Wii, etc.), but Square-Enix managed to completely fuck up one of the best games ever made and they've been raping this wonderful game ever since.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd be willing to bet that this still only runs at 30 fps (at best) even on the fastest phones. Their ports have been terrible in this regard.

I have a Nexus 10. This will be PERFECT for travel.

A PSP and Final Fantasy Tactics from the PSN store is PERFECT for travel.

Do not buy this piece of shit. They've fucked it up three times in a row, nobody should give them any more money for these atrocious ports.

Minsc

Gold Member
You probably never played the original. I usually don't care about small issues with ports (didn't give a shit about lower res textures in Metroid Prime on the Wii, etc.), but Square-Enix managed to completely fuck up one of the best games ever made and they've been raping this wonderful game ever since.

You realize the slowdown issue was fixed on the PSP WotL version, right?

jaxword

What a silly thing to say. I played the original and liked it just fine. And I played the PSP one and found it to be a great experience.

The slowdown was MAYBE noticeable during really heavy graphical effects, like big spells or big summons, and I rarely used those anyways. Otherwise? No slowdown at all.

The PSP's better translation and cutscenes far outweigh any negatives.

Jinko

Hopefully it doesn't have the slow down and crappy load times the PSP version had, will wait for reviews before buying.

jaxword

Hopefully it doesn't have the slow down and crappy load times the PSP version had, will wait for reviews before buying.

You could bypass the load times by loading the UMD data onto the PSP. This is perfectly legal and it made it run nice and smooth.

Jeff-DSA

A PSP and Final Fantasy Tactics from the PSN store is PERFECT for travel.

Do not buy this piece of shit. They've fucked it up three times in a row, nobody should give them any more money for these atrocious ports.

I don't want to carry my PSP around with me anymore. I have a Vita though, so I guess there's that. It's just that unless I'm travelling with a full backpack, I generally don't want to bring a bunch of handhelds around. I'll always have my tablet and phone though.

Dragon

Banned
No I dont play handhelds and the last console I owned was an xbox right about the time that Halo 2 came out. Werent the PS2 and PS3 versions just BC versions of the original anyway?

Werd. And yeah they were. I just thought you were talking about being able to play a version at all.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Lol fuck Square Enix, a year late and it looks like shite. Look at those bricks, that is messy and ugly. I like the new character sprites - that and hi res menus/text were all they needed to do. It looks like they've overegged the pudding a bit.

And now that I've played it I don't really feel the need to play it again either.

I would love a high res CT though, that would be the greatest thing ever.

Top Bottom