• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 analyst QA Session

rpmurphy

Same way Amazon Cloud Player competes with iTunes even though it supports iOS and isn't Kindle exclusive. It gets people using your product, in this case an Xbox and paying Xbox Live fees to access Netflix. If people are comfortable with 360s media functions any iTV is less appealing.
Oh right, I completely forgot about Apple TV. Does Apple have a competing product equivalent to SmartGlass though?

Somnid

Oh right, I completely forgot about Apple TV. Does Apple have a competing product equivalent to SmartGlass though?

No, but they easily could. From Microsoft's standpoint they want to protect the success they have in the living room and add more features so people use Xboxes as media devices. SmartGlass it a shot at Apple's interest in the living room but also at Nintendo and Sony too who already have stake in it.

Tookay

Dat last sentence...it's basically the reason for what happened at E3.

I guess that makes sense, but I'm not sure how a quick sizzle reel for future games would really give away too many secrets to the competition. They don't even have to show the controller functions if they don't want to.

Halfway? 1.5 increase in power over current gen confirmed.

Wait.

If 50% of Wii U = this gen
Wouldn't 100% of Wii U = twice this gen? So 2x, not 1.5x.

Ughh, did I realize just engage in DBZ power level analysis? I'm slipping.

That's not what he says...
It's about developers still in progress of learning fully about the new hardware, but already making AC3 look as good as other systems nevertheless.
That's not really good. But what we should consider is price. At 250 one could live up with that, comparable to slightly better graphics output. Go over 300 an it's a concerning issue.
The fact that developers could port an engine, which is optimized for other platforms for years, to the Wii U in a short period of time, have it working, graphically almost on par, is what's impressive, not so much the graphics of AC3 per se.

"halfway point to full potential", so twice as powerful as the PS3/360?
You talk like WiiU hardware is an exotic platform. Is not a port of the PS3 game, is more than likely a port of the 360 version (or PC maybe) so the leraning curve is lessen a lot.

Also i did like Iwata's answer regarding MS reacting to the screen controller, very nice.

Edit:
This gives more weight to the GPGPU rumor. This would mean that calling Wii U a suped-up 360 is false.
How on earth you inferred that from Iwata's statement?

Another thing: there's also the presentation.
And there's a news, if I'm reading correctly.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606/02.html

Finally, let’s talk about the games. We’ve got a massive list of AAA content on the way from all of the biggest names in gaming that are all proven franchises, all exclusive to our platform, and all coming to stores both in physical and digital formats in the second half of 2012.

06l.jpg

This should confirm that also third party games will be available through eShop.

I'm not certain Epic Mickey counts towards that; aren't Disney notorious for not allowing console games involving their characters to be digitally distributed? I'm thinking BBS here.

M3d10n

does this mean that games made for DX11 needs to be lowered to match it?

Yes. Just like DX10 has functionality not present in DX9, DX11 has stuff not present in DX10. Tesselation and shaders that make heavy uses of the new functionality (or the improved performance in already existing features) wound need to be toned down, removed or replaced by something else.

Yes. Just like DX10 has functionality not present in DX9, DX11 has stuff not present in DX10. Tesselation and shaders that make heavy uses of the new functionality (or the improved performance in already existing features) wound need to be toned down, removed or replaced by something else.
SO the WiiU GPU ended up being a dx 10.1 variant?

I'm not certain Epic Mickey counts towards that; aren't Disney notorious for not allowing console games involving their characters to be digitally distributed? I'm thinking BBS here.
Didn't BBS eventually get released digitally? Or am I just imagining things?

Speaking of KH, since NSMB2 is the first game to be released digitally, KH:DDD actually precedes that. I don't know if those games are necessarily being released online.

Massa

What I said is, can it be mass market? Would they bundle a Vita with their next gen console? Very unlikely, don't you think?

Well, you could give Sony all the best ideas in the world and it would still be very unlikely that they would turn them into successful products.

StevieP

Banned
SO the WiiU GPU ended up being a dx 10.1 variant?

It's original base is most definitely the r700 architecture. Whether it's final form remains that way is still up in the air (devs like "antonz" said it has "2012 features" - whatever that means). But all the developer documentation from AMD is almost literally a copy+paste job from their R700 line videocards.

It's original base is most definitely the r700 architecture. Whether it's final form remains that way is still up in the air (devs like "antonz" said it has "2012 features" - whatever that means). But all the developer documentation from AMD is almost literally a copy+paste job from their R700 line videocards.
So the R700 feature set, that's AMD 4000 family correct? Who were the guys in the speculation threads that were always saying it'll be DX11 (feature wise) plus on a 28nm. Bgassasin maybe? Too bad it'll miss direct compute type applications and the advanced tessellation.

snesfreak

Banned
So the R700 feature set, that's AMD 4000 family correct? Who were the guys in the speculation threads that were always saying it'll be DX11 (feature wise) plus on a 28nm. Bgassasin maybe? Too bad it'll miss direct compute type applications and the advanced tessellation.
Yeah it's not like it'll be customized or anything.

StevieP

Banned

I don't think there were too many folks expecting 28nm.
However, "DX11" stuff? I don't know. I just know that the original base is the r700.

For what it's worth, developer "antonz" on GAF has stated that the GPU has "2012" features so it could've been customized beyond its r700 origins in the 2 years that they worked on it. Or maybe not. The only *fact* that I know is that the original basis is the r700 architecture. Everything else is shrouded in mountains of NDAs and non-specific documentation.

But it does support compute/GPGPU just fine, and has a tesselator (though if I were to guess, it'd be the older tesselator from the r700 series).

Thoraxes

Maybe they traded DD Epic Mickey for use of Nintendo characters in Wreck-It Ralph. I mean Bowser is straight up in that movie.

LOL
Didn't BBS eventually get released digitally? Or am I just imagining things?

Speaking of KH, since NSMB2 is the first game to be released digitally, KH:DDD actually precedes that. I don't know if those games are necessarily being released online.
Nope, it did not (I like your imagination though). I don't think KH:DDD will be one of those titles, but for everything after NSMB2, I think it's fair game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Another good news for 3DS.

Seventy percent of the Nintendo 3DS installed base here in the United States has connected Nintendo 3DS to the Internet. This is a key measure for us, and it’s the highest rate ever for a Nintendo handheld device. It’s enabling us and our content partners to offer new experiences and new services for consumers, like the Nintendo eShop and Nintendo Video. In fact, the Nintendo eShop paying consumers purchase nearly five items on average – those aren’t free applications – that’s nearly five paid downloads per individual. -

70% of 3DS connected is impressive ( I know, still low install base, but it's a great beginning ). I don't know how to value the almost 5 paid items per user...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The R700 architecture supports tessellation, but wasn't really employed because DX11 wasn't made to exploit this functionality.

Rookje

Of course, because we have designed a new hardware system, we are using new technology and we are using new GPUs. But as we have to devote significant costs to the Wii U GamePad, if we were to apply the same level of enhancement that other console manufacturers shoot for to the processing power component, the Wii U would become extremely high in price, and it would not be affordable. In other words, we think that the way that the various console manufacturers are allocating their budgets to the hardware is different from the way that we allocate our budget to the hardware. Ultimately, we’re looking to maintain a price point for the Wii U that is reasonable in comparison to the value to be offered.

This concerns me. Basically, a lot of the production budget was put into the controller (including R&D). So when the new XBOX and PS come out, and they're again leapfrogging the Wii U, 3rd partys will again ignore Nintendo and the console will be a brick again.

Zzz.

onipex

Nintendo has improved things with the 3DS so I have a little hope that things will get better with the WiiU. I remember reading that they wanted to make the online setup for Mario Kart 7 part of the os for the 3DS so maybe it will be for the WiiU.

This concerns me. Basically, a lot of the production budget was put into the controller (including R&D). So when the new XBOX and PS come out, and they're again leapfrogging the Wii U, 3rd partys will again ignore Nintendo and the console will be a brick again.

Zzz.

You make a lot of assumptions

snesfreak

Banned

Zzz.
Lot of assumptions here, it's a different situation.

Iwata and friends wouldn't bother talking about lower-level technical details like the GPGPU architecture anyway since details like that just fly over the heads of both shareholders and customers. What the latter want are DBZ powerlevel analogies.

Haha. The latter is true.

Nothing to do with GPGPU. The CPU is different (even if it's still IBM), there's a dedicated audio processor which could free significant CPU resources if used correctly, the graphics API is new.

It's also a DX10.1 GPU, which means that some techniques used by some games on the ~DX9.0c parts used by the PS3 and 360 are not using the hardware at 100% efficiency. For example, with DX10 hardware it's easy to simulate particles entirely on the GPU, saving CPU resources.

I don't think you realize how closely I've followed Wii U's progress.

How on earth you inferred that from Iwata's statement?

Oh yeah, you would need to see the origin behind that to understand why

That's only partially true. Way back last year I speculated on the GPU possibly using a 28nm process before noticing that 28nm is considered a half node and Nintendo has only used main nodes like the CPU being 45nm. I was never set on it being DX11-equivalent, I did gain more confidence after awhile that it was very possible.

And with the rumor of the weak CPU being due in part to having a GPGPU, it won't miss those things that you are mentioning if true, it will just be on a reduced scale in comparison to the other consoles coming out. But from what I know/understand I would get hung up on the R700 feature set. I was told last year as the GPU was nearing completion that it looked "more 2012".

Zzz.

well with the cost of games this gen and next gen... I'd predict that it's gonna be a long ass while before we stop seeing ps3 and 360 ports.

Top Bottom