• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Grabbing this tomorrow hopefully. Fingers crossed GAF doesnt lead me astray on this...

I've seen several first-timers in here (including me), and none of them have expressed any regret at the purchase. I've seen some that don't click with Kiryu but change their mind when Majima is introduced. Just remember that the story is fairly slow-burn before it kicks into high gear, and the combat gets much deeper as you open up your ability trees.

Jimrpg

I love the game so much oh dear. Time flies by so fast every evening I play this, it feels like I'm at work for 90% of the day.

I've had the game for 2 weeks, playing every chance I get which is really only every second night and I'm about 11hrs in. Had 2 great hours last night.

chapter 4 was amazing! It felt like it was influenced by the John Woo and Chow Yun Fat movie The Killer where he has to protect the blind girl.

Shaneus

Oh god, just finished chapter 8. Kind of see that twist happen at the end as I played that last mission, still hit me hard though.

It's there anything I need to start thinking about (side mission wise or building up money via property/cabaret) as I approach the end? How many more chapters are there?

Oh god, just finished chapter 8. Kind of see that twist happen at the end as I played that last mission, still hit me hard though.

It's there anything I need to start thinking about (side mission wise or building up money via property/cabaret) as I approach the end? How many more chapters are there?

If you just mean what do you need to do in order to finish the game: nothing, really. Chances are very good that you've already got all the tools you need to finish the story. Anything beyond that can be done pretty much whenever you like, including after the game is over (in Premium Adventure mode, which basically continues the game where you left off with no story missions or limits).

Similarly, if you're aiming for 100%, you have plenty of time to do so at your own pace so there's not much you NEED to do. One thing I would advise at this point, though: maybe start sprinkling the telephone club missions through the rest of the game. It's a pain in the ass to do them all at once because of how the minigame is designed, so you'll probably find it much easier to 100% them if you spread them out. Also, read up a bit on how to determine what person is on the other line, that'll save you some time too. Other people find the real estate business kind of a slog, so if you want to 100% that as well, devote some time here and there while you still have the story going.

If you need additional help with finding substories and you don't want to look at a guide, know that Kiryu gets access to an accessory that shows you where substories are on the map (I think? you get it from the CP shrine, but someone else can confirm that). I'm pretty sure you can pass it back and forth between Kiryu and Majima if you need to. Note that it's not 100% foolproof, as some substories won't show up on the map until you trigger their availability (ex. there's a late Pocket Circuit substory you won't see on the map until you actually visit the pocket circuit arena again).

Oh, also: you have
eight more chapters plus a finale
left to play. Those last few chapters kind of go by in a rush, though.

Situacao

I'm in chapter 12 now, and I just wanted to say that I am absolutely loving this game! Incredible story, nice combat, engaging mini-games/side-quests.. I truly regret not giving a chance to the Yakuza series earlier.

Djostikk

Any tips with Mercury Rival Battle? Lost two times and on second I was way ahead of him at first, but results showed he got 500k more than me, damn. Maybe I should level up my girls? I have everyone except for platinum ones. Also how to deal with absents?

Any tips with Mercury Rival Battle? Lost two times and on second I was way ahead of him at first, but results showed he got 500k more than me, damn. Maybe I should level up my girls? I have everyone except for platinum ones. Also how to deal with absents?
I don't exactly remember which one was Mercury but general tips for Rival Battles are to have good & healthy girls on the shift and make good use of your special bar. See what kind of girls the costumers on that part of city mostly prefer and make sure to bring girls with those attributes.

OrionX

Just finished it yesterday. It was my first Yakuza game, and I was really impressed by the story, it was so much better than I expected. I mean, it just kept getting better and everything really pays off in the end as the individual stories start to intertwine.
Tachibana's death scene and Makoto's reunion with him will probably go down as one of the most emotional moments in gaming for me. It was so damn heart breaking. And then when she finds the watch at the very end... ;_;
By the time it was over I felt like I had watched a movie, which to me is high praise for a video game. The only thing I was disappointed by was
Kiryu and Majima not actually meeting until the very end, and they don't even have a legit conversation. lol

Also, I thought the serious tone of the story was perfectly complimented by the light-hearted substories, which honestly had some of the funniest moments I've witnessed in a game, at least in recent memory.

Definitely plan on picking up Kiwami and 6. I needs more adventures with Kiryu.

Do a night with just your bronze hostesses before the Battle, so all your Platinum/Gold/Silver are fully rested.

Just finished it yesterday. It was my first Yakuza game, and I was really impressed by the story, it was so much better than I expected. I mean, it just kept getting better and everything really pays off in the end as the individual stories start to intertwine.
Tachibana's death scene and Makoto's reunion with him will probably go down as one of the most emotional moments in gaming for me. It was so damn heart breaking. And then when she finds the watch at the very end... ;_;
By the time it was over I felt like I had watched a movie, which to me is high praise for a video game. The only thing I was disappointed by was
Kiryu and Majima not actually meeting until the very end, and they don't even have a legit conversation. lol

Also, I thought the serious tone of the story was perfectly complimented by the light-hearted substories, which honestly had some of the funniest moments I've witnessed in a game, at least in recent memory.

Definitely plan on picking up Kiwami and 6. I needs more adventures with Kiryu.

Man.
The watch.
I'd been kind of waiting for it all game and then they caught me off guard by
dropping it in at the end

If you have a PS3 I highly encourage you to seek out those games at some point. If you have to pick one, I'd probably say Yakuza 4, but 3 and 5 are also worth playing.

Just remember there are various types of mahjong (Hong Kong, Riichi (Japanese), Taiwanese etc.) with slightly different variations in hands and things. The mahjong in Yakuza is obviously the Japanese one - so for me personally there was a slight adjustment from the Hong Kong one with flowers and also different complete hands.

Good to know. My inlaws are Chinese so I guess I better do my homework before I end up making a fool of myself. How is there not an app on any of the app stores with this game yet??? nevermind... found a few

OrionX

Man.
The watch.
I'd been kind of waiting for it all game and then they caught me off guard by
dropping it in at the end

If you have a PS3 I highly encourage you to seek out those games at some point. If you have to pick one, I'd probably say Yakuza 4, but 3 and 5 are also worth playing.

I'd completely forgotten about it, but as soon as I heard the music I was like OMG. haha

Yeah I might look into the others at some point, I'm sure they're pretty cheap by now.

The telephone club mini game is a little tedious. Thank god I'm soon done with all the substories involving it. Is there any way to tell early that I'm calling a woman I have already contacted?

The telephone club mini game is a little tedious. Thank god I'm soon done with all the substories involving it. Is there any way to tell early that I'm calling a woman I have already contacted?

Each color of panties corresponds to three girls: i.e. a bad, neutral, and good one. If you are looking for a specific girl, figure out what color of panties she wears. Each girl also has a slightly different voice. If you're good at picking that up, you can know if the one you're talking to is the one you're after. Finally, and most importantly, the good girls know they are hot and hang up more quickly.

#NeoGAFNoContext

Shaneus

If you just mean what do you need to do in order to finish the game: nothing, really. Chances are very good that you've already got all the tools you need to finish the story. Anything beyond that can be done pretty much whenever you like, including after the game is over (in Premium Adventure mode, which basically continues the game where you left off with no story missions or limits).

Similarly, if you're aiming for 100%, you have plenty of time to do so at your own pace so there's not much you NEED to do. One thing I would advise at this point, though: maybe start sprinkling the telephone club missions through the rest of the game. It's a pain in the ass to do them all at once because of how the minigame is designed, so you'll probably find it much easier to 100% them if you spread them out. Also, read up a bit on how to determine what person is on the other line, that'll save you some time too. Other people find the real estate business kind of a slog, so if you want to 100% that as well, devote some time here and there while you still have the story going.

If you need additional help with finding substories and you don't want to look at a guide, know that Kiryu gets access to an accessory that shows you where substories are on the map (I think? you get it from the CP shrine, but someone else can confirm that). I'm pretty sure you can pass it back and forth between Kiryu and Majima if you need to. Note that it's not 100% foolproof, as some substories won't show up on the map until you trigger their availability (ex. there's a late Pocket Circuit substory you won't see on the map until you actually visit the pocket circuit arena again).

Oh, also: you have
eight more chapters plus a finale
left to play. Those last few chapters kind of go by in a rush, though.
That is absolutely, exactly what I needed to know! And you're right, these last two chapters with Mojima felt like they went super quickly, so I can imagine the remainder do as well. Which is a shame, I want to bask in the game and the story more!

Thanks so much, the Yakuza community is hella rad.

Perineum

I am enjoying this quite a lot so far. Combat while easy is flashy.

One issue I was having with the combat is the camera/lock on. What button is lock on? I feel like it told me at one point, but even then it wasn't working?

Also, in fights is it smart to switch between the different heat with D pad, or just find one that works and stick with it in the fight?

I just got to Chapter 2, and while I can equip stuff in the inventory, I am unsure where I can change clothes ? Also I dont see the weapon I equip on my character, or well anything I equipped. Not visually shown I take it, and just stats?

Is there a quick way to heal other than pause and go into the inventory?

xezuru

One issue I was having with the combat is the camera/lock on. What button is lock on? I feel like it told me at one point, but even then it wasn't working?

Also, in fights is it smart to switch between the different heat with D pad, or just find one that works and stick with it in the fight?

I just got to Chapter 2, and while I can equip stuff in the inventory, I am unsure where I can change clothes ? Also I dont see the weapon I equip on my character, or well anything I equipped. Not visually shown I take it, and just stats?

I believe R1 is a soft lock. Weapons equipped can me equipped/put back with the D-Pad down stance switch. Armor and other Equipment are just bonuses.

R1 is lock. With it held down you can strafe and dodge around opponents. When you're fighting a group, sometimes it's better to just smash wildly.

Rush works very well for big groups, and so does Beast if there's a lot of items laying around. For Majima, his Breaker style absolutely wrecks large groups. So stick with one of those typically for groups. There's an item you can equip that will let you switch styles quickly; I use that sometimes depending on the situation. For instance some styles don't have grab moves, so it can be helpful to switch.

And don't forget to invest in yourself!

Clothes and gear items are only stats, they don't show up visually on your character. There are some alternate costumes you can unlock, but they can only be used post game (Premium Adventure Mode). Equiped weapons can be used by pressing down on the d-pad during fights. Most weapons have at least one heat action (depending on your position to the enemy), which can do quite a lot of damage, so be sure to experiment with that. Unfortunately there is no shortcut to using healing items.

Also, be careful about what items you are equipping, some have adversive effects. Quite a few people in this thread have fallen victim to "Charismatic Autobiography", which makes the AI much more aggressive and hard to deal with early on, when your skills are still limited.

Erevador

I love all the music in this, especially the dinky little ditties that play during the side quests. I think they're my favourite musical pieces.

I hope we get a comprehensive soundtrack release of this one day!
The sad soap opera music always makes me laugh when it pops up in the more absurdist side quests as characters describe some kind of self-created and depraved personal crisis.

The game is just a total joy to play.

Djostikk

I'm enjoying cabaret mini game way more than real estate. I would probably go to platinum trophy, but there are all these chess mini games and other stuff, eh..

Rymuth

I'm enjoying cabaret mini game way more than real estate. I would probably go to platinum trophy, but there are all these chess mini games and other stuff, eh..
You can find a video on how to cheese Chess. As for the other mini games, just chip away at them all year.

Really wish I knew about the charismatic autobiography thing. It took until like chapter 6 for me to wonder what the fuck was going on.

I finished the main story this week. Fantastic game.

How does Kiwami plat compare to Zero's?

Easier in my opinion:

Less content in general so it should take you less time to plat the game.

"Anywhere Majima" is the grindy bit of the game, basically just down to unlocking all the skills associated with it and also beating different versions of Majima X number of times. Plus getting all the random Majima events (which should really happen just by naturally playing the game).

No really annoying mini games - Cat Fighting sorta returns in a lobotomized form. Its an arcade game now with piss easy AI that is super easy to beat bar one side story. Plus its only 1 match to win, as opposed to 3 so matches take way less time. The only part that may frustrate some is the Haruka Trust post game content, as you have to clear certain challenges with Haruka and a couple of those are tricky (but even so, mercifully you no longer have the insane batting cage task from the original PS2 version so that's still way easier than before).

No moddable weapons either, so you just need to acquire tons of different weapons and armor which is way more straight forward HOWEVER there are certain weapons that can only be gotten from grinding the arena (easy to do with the Dragon of Dojima style) or rewards for certain choices in side stories so if your not careful you could probably screw yourself out of this challenge point (and therefore the platinum). I was very lucky in getting just enough weapons/armor on my first run.

TIL: Osaka is known for tiger-stripe-wearing Obaachans.

534f741f4b36c294ad517eae0bc39d82.jpg

Got the plat. Only minigame I had trouble with was mahjong and I eventually stumbled by way into all the necessary CPs for it. Anyway the
Amon
fights were annoying since they can take your entire health bar in one combo on legend difficulty but I just cheesed them by
using War Gods amulet + slugger for Majima on Jo. For So, I used golden gun for cannon section then just took the potions the helicopters dropped. It gives invincibility so I just whaled on So until it ran out

See ya'll in the summer for Kiwami.

KRaZyAmmo

just started the real estate game. what do the circle, triangle, ect. mean? and what should I be doing with the managers and secruity for places?

muteki

just started the real estate game. what do the circle, triangle, ect. mean? and what should I be doing with the managers and secruity for places?

The symbol ratings along with the stars affect how much "exp" you get from investing in a property. Using better rankings means it will go faster. Double circle is best, followed by single circle, triangle, and x is the worst.

For security I just always used whoever was cheapest except for the area I was working on. The fights that pop up aren't difficult just a little nagging.

For managers it was mostly the same but I take a look at what their ranking was (-2, -1, 0, 1, 2) and if for a given period they were in the negative I would swap them out for the next cheapest. Most start at 0 and go up/down each session.

Circles are good. Triangles are neutral. Xs are bad.

Security makes it less likely that people will cause trouble in your neighborhoods.

The person you assign as a manager applies a modifier to the amount of money you will receive. This changes by the day and they will need a break eventually or they will perform poorly every day.

There's also another type of person but I can't remember what they are called. They effect how much share you get when you pay into a building. A person who requires more money and has circles will get you to 100 % ownership more quickly.

How are you supposed to make money in this card game with the months if a win only pays you back what you bet?

Play the expert opponent and before the game starts change bet amount to 200. The points you gain is a multiplier for the amount you win so aim for high scoring hands. The opponents in 0 seem a lot easier than before so it shouldn't take long to get a million. Just make sure to always quit whenever you make a profit.

Top Bottom