• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker available for use in Project Spark

Salty Hippo

Wasn't it Mattrick that appointed Scott Henson as the studio manager, the man who made Rare all about Kinect and said they wouldn't be working on old IP any more? Fuck them both.

And now they have Craig Duncan who speaks as much if not more against reviving old IP. "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT IDEA!" He can go fuck himself too.

What a fucking joke. Of the few recognizable characters that Microsoft Studios actually has, they openly just toss him aside and give us the fans a middle finger. It's not like Rare could make a half decent game but seriously, in 15 years this is the second use of the character they paid, what, $500 million for? Good use of your money, idiots.

Crayolan

Glad to see you guys are on top of the fan reaction to this and can respond so quickly.

Hopefully you don't take the outrage the wrong way; maybe I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone feels this is Project Spark's fault, but rather the fault of the way it was presented. Though yes, the comments Conker made might be true to his character, they also felt like jabs at the fanbase. If it were presented differently, like perhaps with a narrator pointing out that Conker assets were available to be used in the game and Conker giving a simple "Hi" or "What's up everyone", I don't think people would be nearly as upset. There would still be a lot of disappointment, but it wouldn't create expectations and hopes for a new game like his introduction in the actual trailer did.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And now they have Craig Duncan who speaks as much if not more against reviving old IP. "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT IDEA!" He can go fuck himself too.

My impression from last Gamescom was that Craig Duncan is a nice, passionate guy, I don't think it's right to blame him. However, had Microsoft just said "and there will also be a new Conker platformer later down the road", they'd have sold the Xbone to me yesterday. As it stands, neither Microsoft nor Sony could convince me this E3. I'd have never thought that I'd go more than a year without a new console (sans Wii U), but considering Rare is still hibernating, Batman got pushed back (and I think the Batmobile looks like a bad idea) and BGE2 didn't show up either, I'll only be missing out on AC Unity and that game does not suffice to make me buy a new console.

What a fucking joke. Of the few recognizable characters that Microsoft Studios actually has, they openly just toss him aside and give us the fans a middle finger. It's not like Rare could make a half decent game but seriously, in 15 years this is the second use of the character they paid, what, $500 million for? Good use of your money, idiots.

Well said.

And having played with Project Spark on Windows, it's a joke of a game/tool.

This announcement on top of Ken Lobb coming out and NOT announcing Perfect Dark or Kameo (FFS I thought for sure those elemental icons were Kameo for sure) shows how far out of touch MS really are with their fans.

Seeing Conker took me back to the reveal of fat, aging Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken. I'm sure the developers mean well, but that's not what it feels like to fans. A nice nod can so easily be interpreted as a middle finger.

Sponge

Banned
I don't get all the hate. It's just a cameo, people. Team Dakota meant no harm by doing this. Even Seavor has been pretty happy about this on Twitter.

CookTrain

Last year there was a Crackdown logo on a mockup of the dashboard, people wrote it off and now we're looking at a Crackdown that's looking like it could be insane with groundbreaking cloud destruction (if it's actually tied to the tech demo).

I'm taking this as a statement of intent and we SHALL see Conker again!

... Please? (and fix his face first)

I don't get all the hate. It's just a cameo, people. Team Dakota meant no harm by doing this. Even Seavor has been pretty happy about this on Twitter.

Standard GAF overreaction.

I'm craving for a new Banjo/Conker/Jet Force/Rare-platformer game as much as anyone, but some of the posts in here are just pathetic really. It was a bit of a tease, sure. Though having him show up on the main stage at E3 in some form shows he hasn't been forgotten about...

On the flipside, this is nice for Project Spark as it shows we could end up with an ensemble of mascots from all sorts of games to use in our own 'All-Star' creations. Potential.

tensuke

Yeah, really disappointed when this happened. Spencer said before the conference that an old favorite of his was coming back kind of, and you'd notice from the orange lights, so I figured, sweet, a new Conker! But this...notlikethis.webm

I mean, he even told us they were too lazy to do it themselves so we can make our own Conker game. Mrgrgr.

Dehnus

Honestly, I want to believe this was a Spencer-style nod to the fact that it'll be brought back entirely soon enough. I believe.

That is also my faint hope. That it wasn't a slap in the face of the Rare fans, but more a "We heard you, just be a little more patient. Soon rather then COD you'll be playing Tediz vs Squirells online!".

But it probably is a "SLAP! I WANNA SLAP HIM!" like Louis Belcher.

flak57

I'm cringing at the project spark devs reading the insanity in this thread. Considering Conker is no longer with Microsoft (was said before, Seavor IS conker and the whole conker universe, pretty much) and his outspoken hate of the company, it was a neat cameo.

I'm not best pleased with this announcement. Not pleased at all. You could say I'm very bloody angry and would very much like to meet the person who thought this was a good idea so we can have a chat about everything that's wrong with this announcement.

Prine

Banned
That Chris Seavor tweet is pretty telling. Please do the right hing Phil,just to get Chris high fiving you is encouraging.

Yeah. This was a huge, huge, huge dick move.

And as childish and immature as it is of me to feel this way, it's really put me off Project Spark. I know it shouldn't but fuck that.

Fliesen

Yeah. This was a huge, huge, huge dick move.

And as childish and immature as it is of me to feel this way, it's really put me off Project Spark. I know it shouldn't but fuck that.

a cynic could totally read it as
"there you go, make all the fucking Conker games you want and shut the hell up already"

i don't care much for Project Spark to begin with (i am paying devs good money to make great gaming experiences ... idgaf about community created content :p) but i don't get the idea behind this at all. Did they think people would cheer for this huge tease? Who in their right mind would touch such a sensitive issue in this manner. Conker is symbolic for Rare-pre-Microsoft - why rub salt in the wound?

Ironjam

I dont think people are mad about the cameo, they are mad about how it was announced.

Salty Hippo

My impression from last Gamescom was that Craig Duncan is a nice, passionate guy, I don't think it's right to blame him.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he's also a trained puppet. He thinks they need to reinvent the wheel and "look at where the industry is going" in order to bring one of these games back.

That worked out great for Nuts & Bolts.

eXistor

That was such a slap in the face. Nothing from RARE, but here's a beloved character from a RARE game in something completely unrelated!

The Cowboy

This was kinda my reaction, except it had more swear words. Whoever at MS thought this was a good way to show us Conker was in Project Spark is an evil person (and someone with no idea of decent PR), this was going to be the greatest thing in the show and ended up being the most rage inducing thing in the show instead.

It went from "OMFG!!!! a new Conker game" to "WTF!!! how could you be so evil!!!" in the space of 5 seconds.

Its great he's added to Spark, i have no issue with that at all - but this was not the way to show it, it looked like he was getting a game of his own and the rugged was pulled out from under us in the worst way possible/

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
I'm cringing at the project spark devs reading the insanity in this thread. Considering Conker is no longer with Microsoft (was said before, Seavor IS conker and the whole conker universe, pretty much) and his outspoken hate of the company, it was a neat cameo.

No worries, we get it, we're all gamers as well. We're huge fans of Chris Seavor and we wouldn't even consider including Conker in Project Spark without reaching out to Chris first.

I think it's great for the world to see just how many people feel passionate about Conker. It's always compelling to see fans rally behind something they love. Hopefully, this excitement will be perceived as an indication of high interest, and not that Conker fans have unmeetable expectations.

-Mike
Team Dakota

No worries, we get it, we're all gamers as well. We're huge fans of Chris Seavor and we wouldn't even consider including Conker in Project Spark without reaching out to Chris first.

I think it's great for the world to see just how many people feel passionate about Conker. It's always compelling to see fans rally behind something they love. Hopefully, this excitement will be perceived as an indication of high interest, and not that Conker fans have unmeetable expectations.

-Mike
Team Dakota
Thanks for the great communication :)

ElRenoRaven

-Mike
Team Dakota

Hey Mike who did the voice? It wasn't Chris was it? Whoever did actually did a good job with the voice.

Fox Mulder

Oh wow. That explains why it was so good. I really figured he wouldn't do that since he seems to have taken how MS treated Rare so personally.

businesses change as execs come and go. Maybe someone at MS can see value in a Conker sequel when they didn't before.

ElRenoRaven

businesses change as execs come and go. Maybe someone at MS can see value in a Conker sequel when they didn't before.

True. I'd give anything for two things. First I would love the real Conker live and uncut we were promised and then a proper Sequel. I know Chris had ideas for one so it can be done if they just get him back to oversee it. lol

Salty Hippo

Did you guys really like the voice? I'm not feeling it to be honest. Was actually surprised when I read it was Seavor. Conker's face also needs some work, they could improve his expressions.

Is it possible for a dedicated fan to remake the entire Conker game on Project Spark?

I don't know much about it, so I don't know if the game works as presented.

Nvzman

I do not want to read too much into this, but - to say it in his own words - "but hey, it's a start":

nM3kzlF.png

kEjnrLM.png

sCoLan1.png

In the end, maybe this small Conker appearance will be worth more than anyone would think ...

The trend continues: Phil as the #Xboss seems to be the best that could have ever happened at Xbox.

No Avatar quote pls. :D
Holy shit...
To Microsoft: Pitch a Conker sequel with Seavor on board, I will day one your game and your console. Maybe I'll buy two copies for no reason.

SegaShack

Did you guys really like the voice? I'm not feeling it to be honest. Was actually surprised when I read it was Seavor. Conker's face also needs some work, they could improve his expressions.
Play Live and Reloaded as the voice in that game is closer to this trailer. He has just aged.

Considering Chris didn't know about this until a week ago and they had to animate it over his voice work, I think the animation was rushed.

Top Bottom