• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Neiteio

I'm new to Puyo Puyo, and I've barely touched Tetris before. I downloaded the demo last night, even though I'm perfectly content to keep playing Zelda and Bomberman. I booted up the demo...

...and three or four hours later, I put it down. WOW. This is FUN.

I'm terrible at the moment, mind you. I struggle to beat the CPUs, and of the countless matches I played, I only won once or twice. But I don't mind because it's all so much fun, whether you're playing pure Puyo, pure Tetris, or Swap Mode.

I find myself growing faster and faster, trying to be a bit more strategic, actually keeping an eye on the "what's next" panel, and trying to think ahead, i.e. leaving a vertical gap in Tetris so you can clear multiple rows at the same time when the "I" block arrives. It's still more instinct and intuition than thoughtful strategy at this point, but it's still fun.

Eager to try this one with friends. I think I'll pick this up.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean? Can you elaborate on this.

Pressing up in Tetris does a forced quick drop.

With a d-pad or analog stick there's a chance of accidentally registering an "up" press when just meaning to press left or right. Seems particularly prevalent on a lot of Switch Pro Controllers due to the way that dpad is designed (or a flaw maybe).

With the 4 separate buttons on the left joycon, there's no way to register an up press other than pressing the up button since it's 4 separate buttons. Thus no accidental quick drops when pressing left or right (unless you have huge thumbs and still sometimes accidentally press down the up button I guess).

Pressing up in Tetris does a forced quick drop.

With a d-pad or analog stick there's a chance of accidentally registering an "up" press when just meaning to press left or right. Seems particularly prevalent on a lot of Switch Pro Controllers due to the way that dpad is designed (or a flaw maybe).

With the 4 separate buttons on the left joycon, there's no way to register an up press other than pressing the up button since it's 4 separate buttons. Thus no accidental quick drops when pressing left or right (unless you have huge thumbs and still sometimes accidentally press down the up button I guess).

Yes, I agree completely. I will be playing this mostly in handheld anyway, but it's annoying cause I wanna start using that Pro Controller. Guess Mario Kart will be that game.

Top Bottom