• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

i really want to know the differences with the p9 lite. Is kinda weird how huawei releases this phone with p9 lite so close.

It's a bit faster (something negligible today, maybe you'd notice a difference 2 years from now), and a better back camera.

Release price is cheaper too, at least theoretically. There's no reason to get a P9 Lite except if drop resistance is fundamental to you.

It's weird from the costumer's POV, from a brand perspective, it's a great name choice. This is gonna sell by itself just because of name alone, hence the choice. The P8 Lite is the most popular product ever from Huawei.

I sold 14 of these this Saturday at 260 euros each, I can imagine when it hits 200 220 around Christmas.

If I had to say, P9 Lite will be discontinued to leave room for the P8 and P10 Lite.

yeah, if i needed a midranger i'd go p8 lite 2017 probably too, or A5 2016.. but huawei branding is confusing, and your average customer would expect the p9 lite to be the better phone vs the p8 lite 2017.... and with the p10 lite (probably) around the corner too.... and they also have honor phones with similar specs (they just announced honor 8 lite)

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/huawei-honor-8-lite-3986

edit. interesting that honor phones usually lack NFC, not that is very important unless you use the phone to pay with android pay or your bank app
it obviously depends which country you live in but in canada, all 3 are coming out in the summer so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for the usa...though we have always had a bit of a history with huawei.

LeleSocho

Banned
It's a bit faster (something negligible today, maybe you'd notice a difference 2 years from now), and a better back camera.

Release price is cheaper too, at least theoretically. There's no reason to get a P9 Lite except if drop resistance is fundamental to you.

It's weird from the costumer's POV, from a brand perspective, it's a great name choice. This is gonna sell by itself just because of name alone, hence the choice. The P8 Lite is the most popular product ever from Huawei.

I sold 14 of these this Saturday at 260 euros each, I can imagine when it hits 200 220 around Christmas.

If I had to say, P9 Lite will be discontinued to leave room for the P8 and P10 Lite.

You managed to sell 14 of them at msrp? Which country of Europe do you live? Here in Italy you can really easily find it at 200/210€ already today.

tzare

yes, p8 lite was really popular, good performance and great pricing... (vodafone spain is selling it at 24€ right now)..makes some sense. But still find weird and confusing. It reminds me of sony when started to release lots of phones and it was difficult to know which one was the right for you ... and we all know how that ended

tzare

Why P8 Lite/P9 Lite when the Honor 8 is 90% of the P9?

honor 8 is way more expensive, 350/400€ vs 200/250€
Now this new Honor 8 lite that seems to be a clone of the p8 lite 2017 (minus NFC) if priced lower....

btw, anyone with huawei phones is using androidpay? Does it work well?
I wonder when will it be available in most countries. Having samsung pay is so convienent.....

Jeffrey

Quick pixel thoughts. Quite a bit smoother and better at memory management than the mate 9. Let's see if this continues after a month.

USB c fast charging is way slower and hotter than supercharge. But at least it's way easier to find more of these on amazon.

Screen size reduction hasn't been a huge issue for me surprisingly. Just need to adjust to the smaller keyboard.

Speaker kinda sucks. Oh well.

Fingerprint sensor is way slower than Huawei.. Might be the slowest I've used since iPhone 5s.

If anyone wants my 1 month old mate 9 for $450 give me a holler.

The fingerprint scanner being on the back of the S8 is quite annoying as I use it everyday on my S6.

But what what's been seen of the S8 so far, I'm almost definitely getting one.

Quick pixel thoughts. Quite a bit smoother and better at memory management than the mate 9. Let's see if this continues after a month.

USB c fast charging is way slower and hotter than supercharge. But at least it's way easier to find more of these on amazon.

Screen size reduction hasn't been a huge issue for me surprisingly. Just need to adjust to the smaller keyboard.

Fingerprint sensor is way slower than Huawei.. Might be the slowest I've used since iPhone 5s.

$100

HawkeyeIC

Speaker is terrible.

the slow fingerprint scanner is a weird one considering all other premium phones have super fast ones these days (other than samsung who also has a slow one).

Even the oneplus 3T at it's price point has a super speedy scanner. It's the little things like that which make me question why google thought a premium price was ok without premium design/innards. The 2 has a lot to step up to.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google gonna get buried if they shit out another half assed Pixel sequel while Apple goes hard and throws out the rumored iPhone 8 Jesus Phone.

Groof

the slow fingerprint scanner is a weird one considering all other premium phones have super fast ones these days (other than samsung who also has a slow one).

Even the oneplus 3T at it's price point has a super speedy scanner. It's the little things like that which make me question why google thought a premium price was ok without premium design/innards. The 2 has a lot to step up to.

isn't it using the same scanner as in the 6p? They probably thought it was ok to use again because it was considered very fast when the 6p released.

Too bad they thought wrong

longdi

Banned
S8 lack of branding yay!

S8 back-top-right fingerprint button sensor lol!

S8 no stereo speakers meh.

I guess Apple is clear to blow us away with iP8

akileese

S8 lack of branding yay!

S8 back-top-right fingerprint button sensor lol!

S8 no stereo speakers meh.

I guess Apple is clear to blow us away with iP8

I'm not thrilled about the fingerprint button or the stereo speakers but neither is a deal breaker for me. I love my S7 though and there's a good chance I keep this through and wait to see what Google has in store for this year before deciding on an S8/S9.

We don't know the s8 has no stereo speakers. I've said this time and time again but the iphone 7 has the BEST implementation of stereo speakers. One bottom firing and one in the earpiece. Allows for bezeless phones to continue to exist and makes it so you can't block both at once no matter what.

Maybe samsung is using the same implimentation. I know apple does it and one other OEM who I'm forgetting has done the same.

Stereo speakers don't have to take up bezel on the front. Be creative.

I think HTC 10 does boomsound with the front and bottom speakers.
you're right. That's the one. I think there is a huawei phone as well but I could be wrong on that. It's definitely the best implementation and one I think all OEMs should use whenever possible.

HTC man...ahead of their time lol.

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/live_images_of_samsung_galaxy_s8_leaked-news-23537.php

Nice I wonder if this will still have the 4x4 mimo from the s7 and s7 edge. When that came available through a firmware update the s7 edge I had doubled it's reception and download speed.

Jeffrey

Mate 9 does that kind of stereo speaker as well. It's quite loud too. Good stuff.

Hmmm. Thinking it might just be how Google designed the software. Like they add the 'delay' to make it feel better.

Jeffrey

I'm surprised no one has attempted vita style rear
Touch for navigation buttons.

Maybe soon in this bezel less future.

Also why does the battery indicator suck so much on pixel and aosp really. Who can read this %

So is Google adding native support for rounded display corners in an upcoming Android release, or did Samsung/LG get word of what the other was doing and decided to do the same?

Jeffrey

So why did Samsung decide to flip the buttons to begin with? Just seems weird layout wise. Like back button on your browser is on the left.

Doesn't it have a 820? That is flagship ish. I mean aren't ipads like 500-600?

Top Bottom