• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| On the backs of Titans we go!

RPGCrazied

I still don't get elemental burst, other then that I'm doing alright. I'm on the
3rd titan I think, looks like a sandy place.

FightTest

Really!!? Once the combat clicked with me I just start hunting monster to fight with so I can practice blade combos and fusion combos and once i got better it the combat became so much more enjoyable.

I still can't plan or manage to get fusion combos in more than like 1% of my fights. It's so hard to get a driver combo set up, nevermind fusion. Basically Nia might Break an enemy, and if I happen to have Anchor Shot setup I can topple it. But that's it. Most of the time Nia is swapping out blades that can't break anyway so I almost never get topples, let alone fusions.

The blade combos are more decipherable now thanks to that post (I used to just hit L/R when I could not realizing there was a path visible), but I still feel like I'm stuck at the mercy of the blades I have. Right now I have Pyra/Frost/Air, Poppi as Earth, and Dromarch/Frost/Lightning. (I'm only using rare blades.) I've been amassing my cores because I plan to replace Tora when possible as being single element is terrible for my combos.

Z3M0G

I'll explain it with an example.

Look at this pic.
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-3.jpg

Look at the upper right corner, that Seal Blowdowns panel.

Ok let's start then:

A full combo in Xenoblade 2 is: A lvl1 + A lvl2 (or higher) + A lvl3 (or higher)

In the picture, the first FIRE element, the one at the left, means that somebody started the combo with a Fire LVL1 special.

Then it says that in order to keep going with the combo you have 2 choices, a lvl2 FIRE special or a LVL2 WATER special.

Now look again at the pic, you see there's a prompt for Rex at the left with 3 little balls? That means Rex has his next special attack ready to keep going with the combo and the 3 little balls mean he charged a lvl3 special. See Tora at the right? They are showing you he's charging his fire special but he still hasn't reached the level you need to keep going with the combo.

Now see at the bottom? There's Nia with another prompt. That means she has the Lvl2 Water special ready to keep going with the combo but following the lower path of the chart.

Now if Rex uses his combo he will unlock the upper path of the chart, that means that you will need a lvl3 (or higher) FIRE special or a LIGHT one. You will seal permanently one of the enemy's attacks if you hit him with the finisher.

This seemed overly complicated but then it made sense after reading it to the end... that's not a "list" at the top right, it's a "tree".

I'll need to research the progression systems... I hated them in XCX, so if it is more of that, I really should stay away. But this game LOOKS so good... it's the best art style in the franchise so far.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I think he means Tora.
yeah that one i guess my tolerance for annoying anime pet squeek things is getting lower as i grow older.
I was really getting irritated by him.

(i was even fine with that persona 4 thing fyi)

Zenaku

For those that do like Hana/Poppie and don't mind using the little furball, don't miss the kizuna talk/bond talk/whatever it's called, on an
island south of Rex's hometown
(Chapter 5 location, don't look if you don't want to know where you'll be then).

Not sure if it's there right away, but Hana fans definitely need to see it.

The Hermit

This seemed overly complicated but then it made sense after reading it to the end... that's not a "list" at the top right, it's a "tree".

I'll need to research the progression systems... I hated them in XCX, so if it is more of that, I really should stay away. But this game LOOKS so good... it's the best art style in the franchise so far.

Dude, this is nothing like XCX. It's actually fun this time.

Xenoblade X shouldn't even be written in the same sentence of XC and XC2.

It's the Devil May Cry 2 of the Xenoblade series.

I am loving this game btw. Amazing music and engaging combat. Fighting stronger enemies feels like XC, hard but manageable. There is skill involved instead of relying on QTE.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tora when possible as being single element is terrible for my combos.
Don't worry, in later chapters she would gain different elements as well.

For those that do like Hana/Poppie and don't mind using the little furball, don't miss the kizuna talk/bond talk/whatever it's called, on an
island south of Rex's hometown
(Chapter 5 location, don't look if you don't want to know where you'll be then).

Not sure if it's there right away, but Hana fans definitely need to see it.
Can someone please explain to me why the english names are very different from Japanese ones? I playing through with Japanese voices and its really weird to hear Tora call her Hana while subtitles say Poppie.

Don’t worry, in later chapters she would gain different elements as well.

Can someone please explain to me why the english names are very different from Japanese ones? I playing through with Japanese voices and its really weird to hear Tora call her Hana while subtitles say Poppie.

Yeah it's kind of irritating, it's not just that either. My Japanese is very limited but I can definitely hear them saying different things altogether compared to what's written on the subs.

I guess the names and so on are for the sake of the flow of it all. Like Pyra/Homura being the Aegis/Heaven's Grail/Chalice or whatever. Guess Aegis is easier, but when I think about the story so far (chapter 3), it already makes more sense to call her the Heaven's Grail than the "Aegis".

Ah well, enough weebing.

Smasher89

It's so hard to get a driver combo set up, nevermind fusion. Basically Nia might Break an enemy, and if I happen to have Anchor Shot setup I can topple it. But that's it. Most of the time Nia is swapping out blades that can't break anyway so I almost never get topples, let alone fusions.
I'm early on the second titan and havent advanced very far from getting chain attacks, i recomend having the break on the other character on X, and have the ability that makes X available at the start of battle unlocked. On my main char ive got back slash (or what the new name was) on X, but i still can autoattack cancel enough in time to get the topple from the break setup that way.

That said, Ive yet to learn how to create the orbs (does it have to be a 1-2-3 combo?) and extend chain attacks as it for now feels random, which im sure it's not.

Danjin44

That said, Ive yet to learn how to create the orbs (does it have to be a 1-2-3 combo?) and extend chain attacks as it for now feels random, which im sure it's not.
This post blow explain it perfectly.
I'll explain it with an example.

Look at this pic.
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-3.jpg

Look at the upper right corner, that Seal Blowdowns panel.

Ok let's start then:

A full combo in Xenoblade 2 is: A lvl1 + A lvl2 (or higher) + A lvl3 (or higher)

In the picture, the first FIRE element, the one at the left, means that somebody started the combo with a Fire LVL1 special.

Then it says that in order to keep going with the combo you have 2 choices, a lvl2 FIRE special or a LVL2 WATER special.

Now look again at the pic, you see there's a prompt for Rex at the left with 3 little balls? That means Rex has his next special attack ready to keep going with the combo and the 3 little balls mean he charged a lvl3 special. See Tora at the right? They are showing you he's charging his fire special but he still hasn't reached the level you need to keep going with the combo.

Now see at the bottom? There's Nia with another prompt. That means she has the Lvl2 Water special ready to keep going with the combo but following the lower path of the chart.

Now if Rex uses his combo he will unlock the upper path of the chart, that means that you will need a lvl3 (or higher) FIRE special or a LIGHT one. You will seal permanently one of the enemy's attacks if you hit him with the finisher.

RPGCrazied

You can get rares from common cores, did not know that.

And I'm stuck in chapter 4, in a dungeon can't seem to find a way to open this big door.

Just beat the game...one of the best games I've ever played...tears were shed at the ending. Amazing ride. Great story, great characters, great combat, great music, great overall presentation. Easily better than XB1 imo and I liked XB1...man

Zenaku

Just beat the game...one of the best games I've ever played...tears were shed at the ending. Amazing ride. Great story, great characters, great combat, great music, great overall presentation. Easily better than XB1 imo and I liked XB1...man
At the last battle myself, got killed >< loved the scenes leading up to and during though, looking forward to the full ending.

Edit: Finished, and fuck I'm still crying. Now to start a new 100% game to play slowly while waiting for the story dlc. At this point I don't care if it's set in the past or the future, I want more.

One of the best ending I've seen, hit me hard, and the ride up to it was incredible through and through.

At the last battle myself, got killed >< loved the scenes leading up to and during though, looking forward to the full ending.

Edit: Finished, and fuck I'm still crying. Now to start a new 100% game to play slowly while waiting for the story dlc. At this point I don't care if it's set in the past or the future, I want more.

One of the best ending I've seen, hit me hard, and the ride up to it was incredible through and through.

word. and once you hit the end of chapter
, you pretty much wanna keep playing nonstop to the end because shit goes from 100 to a thousand real quick(lets be honest shit went from 0 to 100 since chapter 1 :p).

Also how has nobody caught the Zelda nods in this? The shadow
bosses/dark link
, the whole quest for
the third sword/master sword
. i was like come on, make it more in your face lol. It was cool though

Zenaku

word. and once you hit the end of chapter
, you pretty much wanna keep playing nonstop to the end because shit goes from 100 to a thousand real quick(lets be honest shit went from 0 to 100 since chapter 1 :p).

Also how has nobody caught the Zelda nods in this? The shadow
bosses/dark link
, the whole quest for
the third sword/master sword
. i was like come on, make it more in your face lol. It was cool though
Yeah, I wanted to see the end so bad I was dodging fights left, right and center. I had to force myself to use the bonus exp because I knew if I tried to go leveling somewhere I'd have got sidetracked more and added another 10 hours between me and that ending.

Never caught the Zelda references while playing, my mind couldn't think about anything else, but the Zelda dlc makes sense when you think about it.

On a side note, I've started a new game and finally got around to using my X2 pro controller, only to find the right shoulder buttons screwed. It'll only register a button press if I push it really hard. I'll have to try taking it apart to see wtf is wrong with it. :(

ajim

Finally unlocked the ability to alternate between 3 blades in battle.

It is such a great battle mechanic. Love it.

RPGCrazied

Anyone have
Kos-Mos
yet? I don't. I have 34 common cores, but afraid to use them on Rex. I don't want to give him all, plus I want to save some for
Zeke

Zenaku

Anyone have
Kos-Mos
yet? I don't. I have 34 common cores, but afraid to use them on Rex. I don't want to give him all, plus I want to save some for
Zeke
In the last stretch of the game, I used around 100 to 150 cores, tons of boosters, and only got a single rare blade from them. Never got her. I'm hoping I'll have more luck on my second playthrough.

RPGCrazied

In the last stretch of the game, I used around 100 to 150 cores, tons of boosters, and only got a single rare blade from them. Never got her. I'm hoping I'll have more luck on my second playthrough.

She must be rare.

And I want to use Tora, Rex and Zeke. Who should I make healer with no Nia, is Rex okay with a good enough blade? I have a rare healer.

Zenaku

She must be rare.

And I want to use Tora, Rex and Zeke. Who should I make healer with no Nia, is Rex okay with a good enough blade? I have a rare healer.
I don't think shes any rarer than the other rare blade. I've thought about it and there are two options for how the rng works:

Option 1:
Theres a 95% chance of getting a common, and a 5% chance of getting a rare. The 5% chance is split between the blades you need, so if there are 20 rare blades you need to get then there'll be a 0.25% chance for each blade, if you have 10 left to get then there'll be a 0.5% chance for each blade, and if your down to just 1 it'll have a 5% chance.

Option 2:
95% chance for common, 5% chance for rare, and 0.25% chance for each blade when there are 20 to get. When you only need 10 blades, there's a 97.5% chance for common, 2.5% chance for rare and the 10 rares still have a 0.25% chance each. If you're down to 1 you still have the same 0.25% chance, with a 99.75% chance at common.

The %'s are just examples, can't be bothered to check how many rare blades come from the random crystals to do the proper maths, but I'm leaning towards option 2. Hopefully the eventual Japanese strategy guide sheds some light on the chances.

As far as using Rex as a healer goes, there'll be a good option for him in a later quest. Not sure where you are though.

Teran

Man, having finished the story a couple days ago, I have to say I looove XB combat, they never fail to make it have an amazing sense of flow and satisfaction once you wrap your head around it.

I just wish it didn't take as long as it does for the full juiciness to really come through.

Smasher89

Anyone know if "dark mastery" is a rare blade exclusive skill or can common blades have it?, got a mercquest that I want to do before progressing the story which recomends that (I assume the recomendations is always neccesary to beat those quests?).

EDIT: was able to get a common dark mastery blade.

chapter 4 mission spoiler question
The first split path mission, the tracking one, can I really do the tracking part first?, feels like if its harder to do, there is better rewards concidering I dont have a tracker

Oh man, don't say that... I was going to buy an Xbox One X for myself this month but posts like this make me want to grab a Switch and XC2 instead.

Zenaku

They look great, making me want a tshirt.

Got to chapter 4 on my 2nd playthrough, stopping now to grind for crystals and boosters. Not moving forward with the story until I have the rare blade I want. Not having much luck though. :(

Dreweyes

They look great, making me want a tshirt.

Got to chapter 4 on my 2nd playthrough, stopping now to grind for crystals and boosters. Not moving forward with the story until I have the rare blade I want. Not having much luck though. :(

Thanks so much!
Ah yeah I've got them up today-only on tees and hoodies if you're interested, screen printed too: www.theyetee.com

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this will prob be the last jrpg i will buy besides the ff 7 remake.
I tried so hard to like this game.But the 1000 items i need to do anything.Tons of items that have no meaning for me.I don't get it.
16 hours of tutorials is not fun.The voice acting is battles is hilarious i was on a ship and i had the same soldiers screaming the same line like every second.What were they thinking?And i am not even talking about this rage inducing MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH. Someone better call PETA.
Anyway i want to like this game so bad but it feels like its doing everything to push me away. I loved jrpgs on the snes >.<

Then i went back to skyrim and lost myself in minutes playing the game.

FightTest

this will prob be the last jrpg i will buy besides the ff 7 remake.
I tried so hard to like this game.But the 1000 items i need to do anything.Tons of items that have no meaning for me.I don't get it.
16 hours of tutorials is not fun.The voice acting is battles is hilarious i was on a ship and i had the same soldiers screaming the same line like every second.What were they thinking?And i am not even talking about this rage inducing MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH. Someone better call PETA.
Anyway i want to like this game so bad but it feels like its doing everything to push me away. I loved jrpgs on the snes >.<

Then i went back to skyrim and lost myself in minutes playing the game.

It's been a struggle for me, also. I haven't liked a JRPG since FFIX. (Never tried X, will probably pick it up as I just bought a PS4pro.)

My biggest problem is the difficulty seems so arbitrary at times. I'll straight plow through tons of sections and then run into a guy 5 levels below me who destroys me. (Merc level 3 guy I'm talking to you.) Still tired of random level 80s popping out of nowhere and 1-shotting me even at level 50 many zones away from that first idiot. Still get distracted by how awful Pyra's chest is during serious cut scenes. Still kind of annoying to have to swap out random shmoes to activate treasure points. Kind of annoying to have to scroll through Blade affinity pages to trigger their upgrades. Still can't be bothered to salvage because I'm tired of fighting fish monsters every time.

But I do kind of like it otherwise. Every night I sit down and plod for a couple hours because I want to see how it pans out. Towards the end of chapter 6 now.

AdamxAtnthony

Neo Member
It's been a struggle for me, also. I haven't liked a JRPG since FFIX. (Never tried X, will probably pick it up as I just bought a PS4pro.)

My biggest problem is the difficulty seems so arbitrary at times. I'll straight plow through tons of sections and then run into a guy 5 levels below me who destroys me. (Merc level 3 guy I'm talking to you.) Still tired of random level 80s popping out of nowhere and 1-shotting me even at level 50 many zones away from that first idiot. Still get distracted by how awful Pyra's chest is during serious cut scenes. Still kind of annoying to have to swap out random shmoes to activate treasure points. Kind of annoying to have to scroll through Blade affinity pages to trigger their upgrades. Still can't be bothered to salvage because I'm tired of fighting fish monsters every time.

But I do kind of like it otherwise. Every night I sit down and plod for a couple hours because I want to see how it pans out. Towards the end of chapter 6 now.

All of these complaints about the game are legitimate. For some reason, I am addicted to the game despite all of that. Once I figured out the puzzle of how the systems work together, I started having an excellent time.

Though those annoyances mentioned here, among others, keep it from being a real classic, and instead is a "flawed" classic for me -my biggest annoyance is because you need to grind for rare blades, (open up numerous ones to get a rare) the simple act of waiting that time for what you get is annoying me. Even with skipping the cut scene. My wife hears the controllers vibrate each time (the ching ching ching) and gets annoyed even. Hahahaha

However, for some reason, I enjoy the game as a whole quite a lot. I just hope Monolith changes things slightly in the next game to make it much more user friendly.

Danjin44

All of these complaints about the game are legitimate. For some reason, I am addicted to the game despite all of that. Once I figured out the puzzle of how the systems work together, I started having an excellent time.

For me most of the games flaw didn't bother me that much but god damn, once you figure out how the combat works it becomes really fun addictive. The combat in XC2 is as fun as press turn system in SMT/Persona.

noqtic

I don't really know how to explain it but this game gives me crazy Baten Kaitos Origins vibes and that is my favorite RPG of all time.

You can get rares from common cores, did not know that.

And I'm stuck in chapter 4, in a dungeon can't seem to find a way to open this big door.
Dude,

Took me foreverrr to find the way to unlock that. You gotta look
on the other side

Also took forever just to find the entrance to the area before it. Each area is getting more massive and crazy LOL

Only played Chronicles X. Is this one good for someone that's never played a "Proper" Chronicles game?
you'll be fine. it's more anime than x, and theres more of a clear path to go through rather than a completely open free world, but if you liked x then you'll probably like 2.

Only played Chronicles X. Is this one good for someone that's never played a "Proper" Chronicles game?

Even though you can definitely play 2 without 1 (not connected at all afaik), I would still reccomend checking out 1 anyway. It's one of the best games of the decade

Portugeezer

So much to take in with this game, also, is it supposed to be this difficult? Some enemies around the same level can be really tough.

Danjin44

So much to take in with this game, also, is it supposed to be this difficult? Some enemies around the same level can be really tough.

Are they unique enemies? Because some of them even if they are lower level than you could still be tough to beat.

ajim

Chapter 5 help:

Any tips on how to beat
zeke
in ysheva Harbour? I can only select between either tora or Nia and can't have both and it's causing me some pain:(

Edit: it's OK I just figured out had to add one of my characters back in tm the party lol.

Music in this land is gorgeous

GReeeeN

Does this get any more interesting story/gameplay wise?

I’m just starting chapter 3, while it isn’t terrible, the story and gameplay itself is making it hard for me to play more than 20-30 mins at a time before I’m completely bored

Smasher89

I’m just starting chapter 3, while it isn’t terrible, the story and gameplay itself is making it hard for me to play more than 20-30 mins at a time before I’m completely bored
By the end of chapter 4 the combat opens up a bit to be faster and more strategic.

FightTest

Finish 3. If you're not into it at all by the end so be it. I don't think much changes after that.

One thing the game taught me is to not feel like I should be fighting everything in my path. I just went through a long, dumb dungeon in Chapter 7 and I ran past as many of the mobs as I could. There were two named mobs in there supposed to be in your way.. and I ran right by and moved the hell on. If you're not a boss or required for affinity perks I'm probably not fighting you.

The story stays pretty steady throughout. If you can't handle the characters/plot it's not going to get any better for you.

Finish 3. If you're not into it at all by the end so be it. I don't think much changes after that.

One thing the game taught me is to not feel like I should be fighting everything in my path. I just went through a long, dumb dungeon in Chapter 7 and I ran past as many of the mobs as I could. There were two named mobs in there supposed to be in your way.. and I ran right by and moved the hell on. If you're not a boss or required for affinity perks I'm probably not fighting you.

The story stays pretty steady throughout. If you can't handle the characters/plot it's not going to get any better for you.

yeah chapter 3 ending is crazy. if you dont get hyped up by that... it does get more crazy though imho

RPGCrazied

Checked it out in handheld mode after 50 hours in docked, and I find the criticism to be a tad overblown.

It doesn't look that bad. Though they probably could have dropped the sharpness filter. I do agree it dropping to 360p is unacceptable.

Top Bottom