• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI 16 minute video

PlayStation-4_2013_02-27-13_003.jpg

That's just a "what's trending page"...not the actual UI you will be using to navigate friends lists.

I just really, REALLY want to slap my custom themes. The bland blue is really boring, but I just know it can look amazing...

We CAN still make themes for it for free, right?

wapplew

I don't understand why people enjoy the Xbone UI. just watching the friends app video was a mess to me. Menus inside of menus inside of menus inside of menus. I've always liked Sony's clean/minimalist UI approach.

Different taste? I like clean UI too, that's why I dig XMB a lot. But this demo seems a bit empty, since its not connected to PSN, most of the update information is missing.
I hope that "What's new" feed page get more feature, just like what's today social site offering like my channel and such. Also make a simple overall feed overlay side bar so we don't have to suspend and swap app.

Peeete

Someone should have told those guys that the DS4 has a touchpad. I would have liked to see them using it when typing and browsing.

Like the responsiveness of it and the look is fine, gonna change that background though first chance I get. Sony really needs to release a video like Microsoft just did.

Raymo

Eugh. How in the fuck did that get approved?

What exactly is wrong with it? It's a NEWS FEED. You don't look at that page hoping to find some specific information. You glance at it and see if anything catches your eye. Every tile on that page shows you a preview of that tile's content. You can quickly pick and choose what you want to give your attention to, if anything at all.

That's an old mock-up, the new UI has a brighter, more pale background, and the boxes are more distinguishable from one another.

Found it.

Where's the menu inside of menu inside of menu that this picture is supposed to prove? I love how you picked out one cluttered feed but the actual UI doesn't even start with this screen. Great comparison /s

he was comparing the Activity Feed on Xbox to the one on PS4. not the home screen.

Satchel

Banned
Not a fan of the UI. No surprise MS trumps Sony in that regard.

Yeah. Seems like "messier" (for want of a better word) version of XMB.

At least it seems snappy, which is the important thing.

The dedicated processors for background stuff are what I'm most excited for.

Tratorn

The video really is horrible. You should also mute it, before watching.
But the UI looks really nice. Much better than this awful W8-like thing on the XB1.

And it's fast too, so they're at least not so far behind MS again in this regard.

Anko

Does anyone know if they still have those awesome background game art when you linger over the game icon? It's one of my favourite things about the XMB.

I didn't see anything when they stopped over Knack in this video but I am hoping it's because it was an early demo build.
I think I saw a bit of it during the gamescom press conference demo but the screen UI seemed so cluttered with information about the game that I fear we might be left with only basic background images of the game's logo. I miss the space the XMB had.

Do they show the friends list? Anything cool like organization folders?

Edit: Nevermind, see the friends list at 14:25. I like it, but I want folders and what Xbox has with that twitter-like thing. It's fantastic.

Edit: Oh wait, nope, that was the personal profile.

What does the friends list look like?

Derrick01

Banned
Everything looks great except the browser, which looks kind of unoptimized or something. Guess they can just do a day one patch.

Looks nicer now:

ps4-ui2.jpg

It still looks so unnecessarily sloppy and unorganized and it drives the organization freak in me insane. I don't know why every new age website or OS design has to have the requirement that it look like it was made in a 10th grade computer class.

plainr_

Why are there no official walkthrough videos of the UI yet? I'm looking forward to this more than the actual games.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sorry if it's been asked, but where did you see/hear about that?
A junior who claimed to be an insider said it on the 4th. Bish saw him claiming to be an insider and didn't ban him so there must be some truth to his claims...

WhitIn 2 weeks There Will be a video from IGN on The UI and XMB !
Ive heard its Andrew Goldfarb @garfep Who has the honor.
We should know by Thursday since that's 2 weeks after he posted that comment.

The video's quality started off decent and then went to complete shit after 3 minutes. I'm getting nothing out this.

I'm assuming there are system informative embargoes in the US, no? Looking forward to better walk throughs with higher quality video.

Top Bottom