• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim on PS3: The Last Stand / Update: Digital Foundry investigates

So happy I can finally play this game for PS3. Picked it up again yesterday and put about three hours in from the beginning. The game runs silky smooth and looks gorgeous (aside from some fugly faces and shadows during the initial ride in the intro). I don't feel too bad buying it again at full price, because this looks like it's gonna be a real experience in gaming that I shouldn't miss.

This did take far too long to come out, but at least it looks like it has resolved the issue. Most people had already convinced themselves it was unfixable following some quotes by the New Vegas dude, so credit to Bethesda for turning it round.

Loudninja

This did take far too long to come out, but at least it looks like it has resolved the issue. Most people had already convinced themselves it was unfixable following some quotes by the New Vegas dude, so credit to Bethesda for turning it round.
It still not fully fixed, but its much better though going by the eurogamer article.

Sawyer said that DLC is still going to be another beast entirely. As each add-on compiles more code onto the vanilla game, Bethesda will still be responsible for optimizing it for the PS3. For now, yeah, it looks like it has been fixed for the most part. But time will tell.

Greg

So this is how glitch fixing works with games. Some glitches are harder to fix then others, especially when the hardware they are working with has less memory then other systems. Memory issues are not simple fixes.
If the hardware is to blame, then you don't knowingly release a shoddy product for it.

CatPee

If the hardware is to blame, then you don't knowingly release a shoddy product for it.

Or, even better, hire more employees that have experience developing for said hardware with the millions made from your previous games.

Skullkid

Thanks to Digital Foundry for documenting this is such a thorough and professional manner. It says in their article that Bethesda asked them and other sites for their save files, which no doubt helped with the issue.

I started playing my 150 hour, 14 mb save file again (which dropped down to 12 after the patch) and most of the awful lag appears to be gone. I played a few 4-5 hour sessions and did not not experience heavy lag in the usual places - Whiterun, Riften, and Solitude. Before, I would start to see lag after an hour or so. There is still the usual framerate drops or brief lag when a lot is going on in towns/battle, but nothing like it was before the patch. I have actually started enjoying the game again.

genjiZERO

I stopped playing a while ago because of the constant crashing... Sadly I don't have time to play much these days. It's nice that the problem is being worked on, but it's bullshit that it happened in the first place. The Elder Scrolls is a good series, I'm sure I'll get the next one too, but Bethesda is on my buy used only list. Yeah that doesn't do much, but it at least makes me feel like I have a smidgeon of power.

Foxix Von

Yep. That's the only one that should be limiting your performance in any way.

Thanks for the heads up! I just exchanged my copy from the 360 to the PS3 version like a madman and this is good to know.

I gotta say though, it's like a night and day difference. I couldn't stand the screen tearing and I couldn't actually see anything because the brightness was so jacked up and crushed. Sooooo much nicer now.

Can't wait to finally sink my teeth into this.

GeoramA

Glad it's fixed. Will re-buy when the GOTY version hits.

Looking back, I can't believe I put up with 170 hours of broken gameplay. But I got the platinum and $40 back when I traded it in, so it all worked out.

Thank you, i can finally buy this game! Motherfuckers. Damn.

Kinda OT- At the end of oblivion when you have to wait a week to get your armor what did you guys do, did you continue playing until that time came, or did you game wait a whole week?

Holy shit, I must've been super lucky because even after putting 75 hours into the game, it never lagged as badly for me as it did in the comparison video. After installing the new patch, the game does seem to hit 30FPS a lot more often, though. Too bad I already finished the main storyline and don't feel like revisiting the game for now.

Fredrik

So the PS3 version is the best version now? besides PC of course. Or is the 360 version also getting a performance update?

Massa

So the PS3 version is the best version now? besides PC of course. Or is the 360 version also getting a performance update?

The PS3 version could break again when they add more content to the game, content which will be available first on the 360. The 360 is still by far the version to get on console.

Helscream

Banned
Glad it's fixed. Will re-buy when the GOTY version hits.

Looking back, I can't believe I put up with 170 hours of broken gameplay. But I got the platinum and $40 back when I traded it in, so it all worked out.

Yea I think I will end up doing the same. Waiting for the GOTY version of Skyrim before I make the purchase. I rented it from gamefly, my last save from 151 Hours level 53 Orc Warrior with a save file around 18 MB. Game started to get really laggy at the 11-12 MB mark. It is good to hear that the last patch has actually made some really good improvements.

I'm glad to hear this has been fixed, for now anyway. I was going to platinum the game and then trade it in, but I'll keep it now. If I had known in advance that the PS3 version was going to be so poor for so long, I would have never bought it to begin with. It's still disgusting and inexcusable that they did this.

So I think I can safely say that this is going to be the last Bethesda game I buy at launch. I don't like feeling like I'm testing a beta when it's supposed to be the final product. I'll just wait for the GotY versions of their games from now on.

MacBosse

So Skyrim PS3 is fixed and all of the pitchforks, fires, breakdowns and anger slowly trickles away in the shady dim light of memories.

Internet rebellions sure are fragile things.

* Yes, good for Beth (and PS3 owners) to finally fix it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand, I'm glad people who spent $60 on their game can play it, on the other, it doesn't make the practice of rushing out broken games any more acceptable. Abhorrent practice, on every level.

What the hell... I cant download patch 2.03. Everytime I start the download, it just resets and brings me back to the ps3 home screen.

Anyone else getting this?

Edit: This is a US PS3, US account, but playing in India.

Before the game launched I already felt like I might want to wait for the GOTY edition. After the game came out and was broken on the PS3 I felt like I most definitely should wait for the GOTY edition. Now that it's fixed I kind of want to get it right now, because each piece of DLC will break it again.

Your games are alright Bethesda, but c'mon.

I get the feeling your mind was so made up that you would have said that if it was 3 weeks. 3 days. 3 hours.

In other words, shut up.

If Skyrim on PS3 was only broken for 3 hours or 3 days after release there wouldn't have been anything to complain about.

In other words, piss off.

EGM1966

I get the feeling your mind was so made up that you would have said that if it was 3 weeks. 3 days. 3 hours.

In other words, shut up.

They released a game with a glaring fault that QC and QA should have easily spotted, then slowly worked their way through a number of patches with a lot of external input to (mostly) fix it.

They failed to optimize their code for the PS3 and whether it took one day or ten minutes just releasing a game like that is huge failing. Taking three months and multiple patches I'd suggest is too long.

Or maybe you think we should simply accept failure and hope companies don't see it as permission to fail even further in future instead of actually improving their efforts?

I like the game - but they messed up their code and left 2 or 3 million customers with something mostly unplayable and that shouldn't be remotely glossed over or accepted.

They released a game with a glaring fault that QC and QA should have easily spotted, then slowly worked their way through a number of patches with a lot of external input to (mostly) fix it.

They did spot it, that's why PS3 code was pretty much hidden prior to release. Also, they lied about it, saying there was parity between the console versions.

Fredrik

Lets hope they don't stop here, I want the creation kit or at least the most popular mods up on Steam Workshop on consoles too.

Rapstah

Lets hope they don't stop here, I want the creation kit or at least the most popular mods up on Steam Workshop on consoles too.

Almost all mods just add additional things on top of the already too high memory and processing burden of the game. There should be a slight room for allowing DLC quests in the game, but limiting mods to only reaching that would be impossible to implement in a UI for downloading them.

Bethesda fixed the problem. This is a good thing. They cannot go back in time and fix the launch. They don't deserve praise for the fix, because the bug never should have happened, but they should at least get a little less venom.

BibiMaghoo

I was only 30 hours into the game before the patch, and only suffered from frame rate drops. It was immediatly noticable after the patch installed that this problem was absent. The game runs much better than it did prior to the patch.

Hooray for fixing it. Boo hiss for taking so long. I almost didnt buy it because of the problems, and others never did for this reason.

Top Bottom