• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Update 1.50 fixes LOD issues

pixelbox

As you may know if you were a fan of the game with the Frozen Wilds update; massive graphical glitches were introduced including coarse LOD pop-in. This appears to have been fixed along with various graphical errors like foliage LOD transitions, progression glitches, and machine placement.

Update: I have checked out the notorious Maridian area and it seems to have been corrected. Go check it out.

Update 2: Posting a quick video of my findings.

https://youtu.be/fyuwN1uEdEk

Rayderism

Good to hear it finally got fixed. It really ruined my enjoyment of the game to see it doing that as I was running around the environments.

valkyre

So happy to hear about this. I was one of the first people to document this and be in talks with the team in r/horizon page on reddit.

So glad to see they fixed it!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It would be REALLY nice if in the OP people would use acronyms only if they provide what they stand for.
I am not aware of what LOD stands for.

Loss on Drying?
Losers on Demand?
Little orange demons?

jpadula

Neo Member
It would be REALLY nice if in the OP people would use acronyms only if they provide what they stand for.

Loss on Drying?
Losers on Demand?
Little orange demons?

LOD is common acronym in gaming and we are in gaming forum. When u type "lod gaming" in google all first results are about it. Lets not start explaing every acronym that is not common reallife word:).

As you may know if you were a fan of the game with the Frozen Wilds update; massive graphical glitches were introduced including coarse LOD pop-in. This appears to have been fixed along with various graphical errors like foliage LOD transitions, progression glitches, and machine placement.

Update: I have checked out the notorious Maridian area and it seems to have been corrected. Go check it out.

Update 2: Posting a quick video of my findings.

https://youtu.be/fyuwN1uEdEk

awesome thanks for showing it off

Ubername

Banned
LOD is common acronym in gaming and we are in gaming forum. When u type "lod gaming" in google all first results are about it. Lets not start explaing every acronym that is not common reallife word:).

Or you could just include it in the op and save people some time instead of saying something which is verifiably ambiguous and expecting everyone to google it

Shifty

Nice. I'm thinking I'll start a playthrough soon, so any and all improvements are good news.

Yes you were! So glad you pointed that out. Here's a rough video of my findings: https://youtu.be/fyuwN1uEdEk

I have no context for how it looked before, but how it is now looks solid to me.

Also FWIW it looks like you might need to bump your bitrate up if your recording solution supports it, whenever the camera turns the video starts macro-blocking like crazy.

Level Of Detail. When a game engine swaps in lower-quality assets (of any type- mesh, texture, animation, etc.) for distant objects in order to save on performance, it's LOD-ing.

You don't even need to add 'gaming'- just 'lod' takes you straight to the wiki page.

nowhat

I have no context for how it looked before, but how it is now looks solid to me.
The original DF analysis*) is a good point of reference. Perhaps the most noticeable bit is the shadow detail - it looks surprisingly good (for a console) up close, but deteriorates pretty quickly further away. Whether this is that noticeable really depends on your surroundings.

As to Frozen Wilds, I did notice the LOD difference at first (when it was released, haven't tried with the latest patch), but playing more it never bothered me that much. Mainly because I kept getting obliterated by the machines, the DLC really ups the challenge.

*) Edit: as a point of reference as to how the main game functions. No A/B reference to pre/post patch Frozen Wilds I'm affraid.

To be fair knowing things like that would be more common knowledge to people that play games that let you change graphical settings, not console games like Horizon which usually have no settings to fiddle with at all.

pixelbox

Nice. I'm thinking I'll start a playthrough soon, so any and all improvements are good news.

Also FWIW it looks like you might need to bump your bitrate up if your recording solution supports it, whenever the camera turns the video starts macro-blocking like crazy.

Level Of Detail. When a game engine swaps in lower-quality assets (of any type- mesh, texture, animation, etc.) for distant objects in order to save on performance, it's LOD-ing.

You don't even need to add 'gaming'- just 'lod' takes you straight to the wiki page.

Lol thanm you, btw i did increase the resolution but it was locked ar 720P. I gotta reset the PS4 Pro i think 🤔.

DonF

That's nice. I noticed too, since I got the game like a month ago, it's small, but it sticks out since it's such an impressive looking game

pixelbox

To be fair knowing things like that would be more common knowledge to people that play games that let you change graphical settings, not console games like Horizon which usually have no settings to fiddle with at all.

The original DF analysis*) is a good point of reference. Perhaps the most noticeable bit is the shadow detail - it looks surprisingly good (for a console) up close, but deteriorates pretty quickly further away. Whether this is that noticeable really depends on your surroundings.

As to Frozen Wilds, I did notice the LOD difference at first (when it was released, haven't tried with the latest patch), but playing more it never bothered me that much. Mainly because I kept getting obliterated by the machines, the DLC really ups the challenge.

*) Edit: as a point of reference as to how the main game functions. No A/B reference to pre/post patch Frozen Wilds I'm affraid.

For more info on the glitches you may wanna valkyre.

nowhat

Opps. Lololol cantact* You may want to contact valkyre.
ds_12114_headline_b_v6.jpg

pixelbox

Its still quite visible. Lessened for sure but not what I'd call "fixed".
Level of Detail transitions will happen especially with a game this complicated. What i was referring to is the lack of fade in or transitions. It would "pop" between phases.

R_Deckard

I found the nxgamer analysis much more detailed and demonstrates the great details in this game, it covers the textures in some depth between versions.

I need to pick this DLC up as I had forgotten about it coming out.

jpadula

Neo Member
Or you could just include it in the op and save people some time instead of saying something which is verifiably ambiguous and expecting everyone to google it

Im not author of the topic - or was it figurally speaking?

FFS (here link) when I was young I had to use analog book (aka enciclopedia) to know a term (and with crossing fingers if its there);

topics would going with explanation to: multiplayer, FPS, TPP, slasher, roguelike, resolution, HDR and so on? lets not do this. Its 2017 u can know EVERY term want in few secs.
(also think about people that cannot by having super rough life)

pixelbox

Im not author of the topic - or was it figurally speaking?

FFS (here link) when I was young I had to use analog book (aka enciclopedia) to know a term (and with crossing fingers if its there);

topics would going with explanation to: multiplayer, FPS, TPP, slasher, roguelike, resolution, HDR and so on? lets not do this. Its 2017 u can know EVERY term want in few secs.
(also think about people that cannot by having super rough life)

I know right?! Out of all the Digital Foundry thread along with this being a gaming site, I thought it was common knowledge.

It’s a shame they still can’t match the draw distance/LOD of the game launch, unpatched. The base game right out of the box had highest draw distance/LOD setting by far and frame rate was fine

It’s a shame they still can’t match the draw distance/LOD of the game launch, unpatched. The base game right out of the box had highest draw distance/LOD setting by far and frame rate was fine
What the? This doesn't sound right. I am playing the game right now and it does seem to have crazy lod glitches

Top Bottom