• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work

udiie

I don't work in Microsoft PR. I'm not sure why that's there, and I can't change it.

I do work at Microsoft, however.

To be honest, you're pretty good for PR for MS on these boards. We really appreciate hearing it from you first-hand as you understand it.

Duallusion

So, for me, it would be just like it is with 360, if I understand correctly.

I Live in an unsupported country that won't *ever* be properly "supported" (so tier 4, by MS standards)
I buy X1 (maybe, some day).
I make a UK account (link the existing one).
Add Paypal payment option.
Aaaand... I'm good to go with just about everything other then TV stuff, streaming stuff and select "IP-checked" titles?

Hope that's true. Always nice to have options.

It's totally different.

First - all games are WW signed. Not all 360 games are.

Second - The console will work everywhere (keeping in mind Power Supplies)

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

thanks for clearing this up :)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. it's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch.

Then why is Switzerland also affected? People there speak German, French, and Italian.

It's totally different.

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

I have to say I applaud you for coming over here and posting during the mess that is the xbone launch.

I doubt your allowed to answer this, but were the preorder numbers that bad to warrant all this backtracking?

It's totally different.

so this time japanese games will be region free?btw microsoft needs more people like you,clear and concise

PedroRVD

Wow! Finally found a thread that will clarify everything for me:

Albert (or somebody else) :

I live in Ecuador (south America) and I have been using a Xbox 360 all these years with a US Xbox Live account, we use dollars here so I have been using my American Express with no problems (PayPal account)... Also I have bought a lot of prepaid cards and bought a huge amount of content (mostly rock band DLC) ... Etc etc... Obviously I could not access US only content (Hulu, wwe, etc)

Are you saying that Xbox One can work for me this same way? Will I be able to keep using my US live account to login and buy content on One?... And , of course, download the day 1 patch?

Did you say that digital games and DLC will not be region locked anymore?

This would be GREAT news because that was a bummer on 360, I could never take advantage of sales (I could in the last ultimate sale though) ... And it's annoying considering that every content on Playstation Store can be bought from my location.

I hope I can get my questions answered...those are the last facts for me to decide in favor of Xbox one. Thank you in advance!

People there speak German, French, and Italian.
That's the problem, I think. I've got friends living in Switzerland and they've got several issues with Xbox Live right because there are so many languages over there, while Live is designed to think country-language in a 1:1 ratio...

I have to say I applaud you for coming over here and posting during the mess that is the xbone launch.

I doubt your allowed to answer this, but were the preorder numbers that bad to warrant all this backtracking?

You're welcome. I'm happy to do it.

Right after E3, we certainly heard from the community and made a big policy change back to Discs. Subsequently, we've made some small adjustments, and I think this post sums up my feelings on those

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76121819&postcount=1327

Nothing is ever as dire as people seem to believe. The bad news rises, the good news subsides.

The program is in great shape, and nothing happening is really much different from the last three launches I've worked on - except we live in a world where information flows much more freely. Last generation, Xbox 360 launched in 3 countries, with another 8 following. So a 13 country launch is still more than Xbox 360.

jbug617

Banned

Right after E3, we certainly heard from the community and made a big policy change back to Discs. Subsequently, we've made some small adjustments, and I think this post sums up my feelings on those

Nothing is ever as dire as people seem to believe. The bad news rises, the good news subsides.

The program is in great shape, and nothing happening is really much different from the last three launches I've worked on - except we live in a world where information flows much more freely. Last generation, Xbox 360 launched in 3 countries, with another 8 following. So a 13 country launch is still more than Xbox 360.

I just need to see more games. I hope you guys save announcements for TGS.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's totally different.

I must say I am happy you guys have listened and understand people in Europe move from one country to another. Lack of account migration used to be a major issue on 360 until fixed recently, but this new system sounds more elegant and fluid, reflective of how people live today.

Spongebob

Banned

You changed your policies because of preorder data, don't pretend that anything else was the case.

Several MS execs even said that they expected back lash from your previous policies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I don't work in Microsoft PR. I'm not sure why that's there, and I can't change it.

I do work at Microsoft, however.

Albert Penello
Microsoft PR
(Today, 06:07 PM)

WELP!
EDIT: much better now
--

While your here... There was no way to have that family share option for digital downloads? Or it was never removed from digital purchases?

While your here... There was no way to have that family share option for digital downloads? Or it was never removed from digital purchases?
Several Microsoft employees have said that they are still working on the family sharing plan and hope to integrate it into the Xbox One for digital downloads.

You changed your policies because of preorder data, don't pretend that anything else was the case.

Several MS execs even said that they expected back lash from your previous policies.
yikes
I'm sure pre-order numbers were part of the community response they evaluated... he didn't deny that at all.

No need to be argumentative about this. Don't forget you have no way of proving what you're saying.

Albert with all due respect, there is nothing "small" about the adjustments Microsoft has made to the XBone. The scope and magnitude of these changes are unprecedented in the history of console launches.

You are right about the 360 launching in just 3 countries, but you are not launching the Xbone against the PS3 this time around. And if these 4:1 preorder numbers are to be believed, this latest reversal is the last thing you guys need in Europe which typically is Sony territory.

Are you involved in the PR or R&D side of the Microsoft gaming division, if I may ask?

Spongebob

Banned
Albert with all due respect, there is nothing "small" about the adjustments Microsoft has made to the XBone. The scope and magnitude of these changes are unprecedented in the history of console launches.

You are right about the 360 launching in just 3 countries, but you are not launching the Xbone against the PS3 this time around. And if these 4:1 preorder numbers are to be believed, this latest reversal is the last thing you guys need in Europe which typically is Sony territory.

Are you involved in the PR or R&D side of the Microsoft gaming division, if I may ask?
Read his tag.

He's MS PR.

moai

so, if xbox one allows use of paypal it will not matter if you have a valid credit card for any market.
yes?

Spongebob

Banned
Several Microsoft employees have said that they are still working on the family sharing plan and hope to integrate it into the Xbox One for digital downloads.

yikes
I'm sure pre-order numbers were part of the community response they evaluated... he didn't deny that at all.
http://www.screwattack.com/news/microsoft-not-concerned-xbox-one-backlash

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-xbox-one-backlash-was-kind-of-as-we-expected/0117140

MS expected people to be vocal against their policies.

I'd say preorder numbers were a 'little' more than part of it.

jond76

Banned

Lol. Forum guy telling MS representative that's launched 2 consoles the "real" deal. Settle down.

Spongebob

Banned
No he is not.

If you actually try googling his name you'd see he is the Director of Product Management and Planning. He said he is not part of PR.
Didn't know that.

That's what his tag said, and that's what I went by.

Besides, what he's doing right now is PR.

More info on why he is here:

Just to address a couple qualification questions, since there is confusion. My profiles are pretty public, so it would be hard for me to come and lie about who I am or what I do.

As stated, I run Product Planning. My group reports into Marc Whitten, on the engineering side. You can see that was updated in 2009. PRIOR to that, I was in Product Marketing. In my entire time at Xbox (I started a year before we launched V1) I’ve worked really closely with the Hardware teams – regardless of which group I’ve reported into.

Neither of those groups are PR, for what it matters. Marketing is not the same thing as Public Relations.

I have done lots of interviews in the past (not too hard to find me) and at no point have I worked in PR. As I’ve also stated – I’m doing this on my own time. I have only commented on topics around interviews I have done, or occasionally where someone has asked a clarifying question around something we have announced. For reasons that are obvious, I can’t disclose a lot of things. I have tried to clarify around things we’ve announced when I can.

I didn’t feel like that was doing “PR” but some here feel that way. I was never intending to get into the debate – only to clarify the intent behind some of the statements made in the interview.

Anyway, I poked in to clarify a bit what I meant in the article, hopefully it clarified for some.

https://twitter.com/albertpenello
http://www.linkedin.com/in/albertpenello

Head of Planning. He has been open about this from the beginning. Glad to see you felt like you had to try and minimize him. He is on here providing more details to the policies and has since the beginning.

This is entirely unnecessary.

I think we should be respectful, but also not be hesitant to challenge statements made by people representing any corporation.

I certainly give credit to Albert for coming on and talking about this. Typically, there is no upshot for people in his position to get on a forum and have a discussion as it inevitably spirals into name calling and other rude behavior.

Yeah, not sure why his tag is Microsoft PR. He doesnt even know why lol.

Well, to be fair he's delivering statements as a recognizable employee high up in the Xbox division. While his statements may not be genuine PR statements, it's easy to assume he's been given "clearance" to talk here on behalf of the division he works for. So it's kind of like PR light. I don't think the tag is unwarranted, but it could have been something more like "Works on Xbox".

I think we should be respectful, but also not be hesitant to challenge statements made by people representing any corporation.

Challenging a statement is one thing, but declaring you know the pre-order numbers were bad is not something you can prove, so it's probably best to not go there. As an employee of Microsoft he's saying they didn't make the change due to pre-orders. We can just accept that's his statement on that topic and move on.

I certainly give credit to Albert for coming on and talking about this. Typically, there is no upshot for people in his position to get on a forum and have a discussion as it inevitably spirals into name calling and other rude behavior.

I agree. I was just trying to stop it before it went there.

I think its great that he comes on here and has these discussions.

Launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. it's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch.

Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience ;)

Don't a couple of the countries that got their launch systems delayed primarily speak the English language? Or at least localizations for other products are actually done in English. There would have to be no localizations for those countries. I am confused!!!!

Now now, let's not put the pressure in the speculations/assumptions anything in regards to why/what/who changes and what-not, whether it's true or not.

Even if Albert is telling the truth, he can't prove it to you without getting fired for leaking internal information. And until he proves it, well... it's in the internet to be skeptical about these kind of stuff.

And let's face it, everything Albert writes here is at least somewhat 'vetted & approved' by MS beforehand. That is just the reality of it.

jond76

Banned
Well, to be fair he's delivering statements as a recognizable employee high up in the Xbox division. While his statements may not be genuine PR statements, it's easy to assume he's been given "clearance" to talk here on behalf of the division he works for. So it's kind of like PR light. I don't think the tag is unwarranted, but it could have been something more like "Works on Xbox"..

But its still not accurate. The devs on here have accurate tags and not "Epic PR". Just seems strange.

Lol. Forum guy telling MS representative that's launched 2 consoles the "real" deal. Settle down.

I don't believe I need to settle down, as I'm not riled up like you seem to be. I'm merely having a conversation with man and giving him my views and offering a rebuttal to his statements.

Challenging a statement is one thing, but declaring you know the pre-order numbers were bad is not something you can prove, so it's probably best to not go there.

I never declared anything, and I did say "if those numbers are to be believed." They were certainly reported by a number of websites.

Has there been any info released about the power supply? Is it 100-240 volts 50/60hz or is it like the 360 power supply that was a bit of a pain in the arse.

Well, to be fair he's delivering statements as a recognizable employee high up in the Xbox division. While his statements may not be genuine PR statements, it's easy to assume he's been given "clearance" to talk here on behalf of the division he works for. So it's kind of like PR light. I don't think the tag is unwarranted, but it could have been something more like "Works on Xbox."

It's kind of a childish move to misrepresent someone and not apply that same logic equally across all self-declared representatives in the same boat.

Now, if they were to label CBOAT as anti-PR to even it out, that would be kind of funny as a tag couplet.

Raist

Banned
Last generation, Xbox 360 launched in 3 countries, with another 8 following. So a 13 country launch is still more than Xbox 360.

Might wanna mention that the 360 launched in 20+ more countries (basically the whole of geographical europe) only a couple of weeks after US/JP launches maybe.

I never declared anything, and I did say "if those numbers are to be believed." They were certainly reported by a number of websites.

While I don't doubt that the PS4 kicked ass in preorders, there's never been a properly-sourced article with any hard data. Do you have any links? I'd love to be wrong.

I believe that the closet I saw was CheapyD reporting it, but his numbers start with a specialized sub-group of consumers and shouldn't be treated as fact.

Websites report a lot of stuff. That's never a valid argument without sourcing properly-sourced reports.

Top Bottom