• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps3 controller > 360 controller?

I'm just saying, why is everyone saying the opposite. I own both. Here's the thing, I hate the Ps3 triggers so the Ps3 controllers are basically a horrible controller when it comes to fps whereas the 360 controllers are perfect for that but horrible for everything else.

Holy god, I played DMC4 for 360 at my friends house and the 360 controller did not feel right, it isn't perfect for rpg's, action, adventures, racing, etc... Whereas the Ps3 controller feels good for all this other genre's. I bought MDC4 for Ps3 incase you're wondering. I did buy Burnout: Paradise x2 though.

I will give another good example is, how can people play Burnout: Paradise on a 360 controller? Are you shitting me? I think the Ps3 controllers works perfectly for that game.

So this thread asks you, is 360 the better overall controller or the Ps3? Or is it depending on the specific of genre?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
totally, i played need for street pro street the other day for like an hour, and the controls sucked

game sucked too, but that's besides the point.

Raistlin

I'm in the same boat.

I'd say the PS3 is pretty much better for all genres besides FPS (and maybe racers). To me, that certainly makes it the better overall controller.

tha_con

Banned
Eh, I feel like a little tweaking on the 360 controller makes DMC4 more than enjoyable. Though, the face buttons still aren't good, and IR is much easier on PS3.

FortunateSon said:
I'm just saying, why is everyone saying the opposite. I own both. Here's the thing, I hate the Ps3 triggers so the Ps3 controllers are basically a horrible controller when it comes to fps whereas the 360 controllers are perfect for that but horrible for everything else.

Holy god, I played DMC4 for 360 at my friends house and the 360 controller did not feel right, it isn't perfect for rpg's, action, adventures, racing, etc... Whereas the Ps3 controller feels good for all this other genre's. I bought MDC4 for Ps3 incase you're wondering. I did buy Burnout: Paradise x2 though.

I will give another good example is, how can people play Burnout: Paradise on a 360 controller? Are you shitting me? I think the Ps3 controllers works perfectly for that game.

So this thread asks you, is 360 the better overall controller or the Ps3? Or is it depending on the specific of genre?
...*snore*...

Spoit

Even though I've only used the 360 controller for probably only a few hours total, I'd have to say that it's by far the best traditional controller. The PS3 is exactly the same as the PS1 controller, with wireless and the triggers being the only real changes. I suppose if you're one of the crazy people who actually liked that in-ergonomic trash...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
If It is a racer, then I have a wheel
If it is a fighter, then I have a stick
360 controller for everything else for me. I use it for both PC gaming and 360 gaming.

<Sigh> It's all what you're most used to and comfortable with. I can play DMC fine on either controller. I find the 360 pad far more comfortable in general but I have large hands.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Spoit said:
Even though I've only used the 360 controller for probably only a few hours total, I'd have to say that it's by far the best traditional controller. The PS3 is exactly the same as the PS1 controller, with wireless and the triggers being the only real changes. I suppose if you're one of the crazy people who actually liked that in-ergonomic trash...

The Sixaxis Dpad is a hell of a lot better than the psone controller.

Speevy

Banned
The 360 has better analog sticks and back triggers. Buttons and front triggers go to the PS3 controller, along with (of course) the D-pad.

The DS3 is pretty damn awesome. The extra weight makes a hige difference to me with regard to the comfort of the controller. So, yeah I would say the DS3 is better than the 360 controller for some games, DMC4 for example. I don't like the triggers on the DS3 though but they're better than the Sixaxis originals.

The 360's DPAD is completely useless.

JimiNutz

Banned
I must be pretty lucky because my hands easily adapt to whatever controller I'm using. I regularly switch between my 360 and PS3 pad and don't really notice (except for the lack of rumble.)

Also people moan about FPS controls on PS3 but I play both RFOM and UT3 on my PS3 pad and think they both control great.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ps3 controller > 360 controller?

No. A thousand times no. The DualShock/SIXAXIS/whatever you wanna call it is horribly uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time. The 360 controller is the most comfortable I've ever used, and it also has the benefit of non-shitty triggers (if you can even call them that on the PS3). And I'm a PSWii60 owner, so don't write this off as fanboyism.

Belgorim

I cannot see how anyone with even remotely large hands can prefer the PS3 controller.

Well... unless you are used to it :)

360 controller is best for most things IMO, not just FPS. Only games that heavily rely on the dpad are more suited to the PS3 controller I feel.

soco

i prefer the 360 on pretty much everything. i don't play fighting games though, so i can see where that'd be a bitch.

i assume this is just a personal preference, because i've never once played an RPG and thought any controller didn't feel right. it's not like there's usually a whole lot of action there.

Norml

I like PS3's better.

L1L2 work great for fps and R1R2 is a better spot for the alt fire anyway because you dont have free up your main trigger finger's.It also has the sixaxis and pressure sensitive face buttons.

Ninja Kn1ght said:
The DS3 is pretty damn awesome. The extra weight makes a hige difference to me with regard to the comfort of the controller. So, yeah I would say the DS3 is better than the 360 controller for some games, DMC4 for example. I don't like the triggers on the DS3 though but they're better than the Sixaxis originals.

The 360's DPAD is completely useless.
ok - i give....

I have a DS3 and can't say that I've noticed ANY difference with the triggers playing any game... have they changed in some significant way that escapes me?

I think the Dual Shock and its sequels are shit but eh oh well.

Granted the 360 dpad is crap but that's why I own a stick for my 360(I wouldn't consider this a point for the DS's dpad either since I own a stick for my PS2 as well)

Spoit said:

Yeah, you're right, partly, the 360 controllers are very comfortable and the placement feels very good but the face buttons for other games are just horrible, you basically need to tweak the controls everytime you play an rpg, adventure etc... game on the 360.

Fatalah

I know this is uber-geeky, but a few of my buddies got in a heated argument about console controllers last week.

One friend believed that the 360 has a superior controller because of its superior ergonomics. Plus, the analog sticks are tighter, which makes for higher sensitivity.

The other friend kept saying "Which controller is better? Which controller is better?! That's like saying *I like vanilla better than chocolate!* You can't say one is better than the other, like it's a known fact."

I agreed with the first friend though. Sony's been using the same design for how many years now?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
The only thing the PS3 controller has over the 360 controller is the D-pad. That's it.

Convex analog sticks for the mother fucking LOSE.

bran

360 face buttons ABXY hurt after extended use, because they are too round and too hard. Especially for action games where lots of pressying ABXY is required. For shooters and racers you use triggers more, where 360 pad excels.

Firewire

Banned
Fatalah said:
I know this is uber-geeky, but a few of my buddies got in a heated argument about console controllers last week.

One friend believed that the 360 has a superior controller because of its superior ergonomics. Plus, the analog sticks are tighter, which makes for higher sensitivity.

The other friend kept saying "Which controller is better? Which controller is better?! That's like saying *I like vanilla better than chocolate!* You can't say one is better than the other, like it's a known fact."

I agreed with the first friend though. Sony's been using the same design for how many years now?

Dude both Vanilla & Chocolate suck, Strawberry rulz the day!

Mindlog

Dude, funny that you say that you're not against Sony. I've seen you in every Sony thread so far, anything related to Sony and all you do is go against Sony.

I can't believe a moderator hasn't tapped you. Honestly. Why don't I see you eer in a 360 thread saying things that you usually say in a Sony thread? Or say, even Nintendo's threads?

It's so clear how much you hate Sony. Blatantly obvious. Hiding it now is no point. It's clearly SIXXAXIS > DS3 > 360 > Wii > Pong Paddle > Kong Drums > KB/M > Power Gloves > Sega Activator.

SPEA

"it isn't perfect for rpg's, action, adventures, racing, etc"
How can a controller by better or worse for rpg's or adventures? That makes absolutely no sense.

I like them both personally. I usually do prefer the 360 overall though. I beat DMC4 with no problem on 360. Just changed the lock on to Right Trigger and it played beautifully.

Dumb thread by the way.

DeadGzuz

Banned
NutJobJim said:
I must be pretty lucky because my hands easily adapt to whatever controller I'm using. I regularly switch between my 360 and PS3 pad and don't really notice (except for the lack of rumble.)

Also people moan about FPS controls on PS3 but I play both RFOM and UT3 on my PS3 pad and think they both control great.

Same here, I go back and forth all the time and don't have a real preference. The only thing I notice is the 360 D-pad, which is a direction randomizer. I used to buy into the "360 controller for FPS!", but then Resistance and UT3 told me otherwise.

DangerStepp

There have been so many of these threads lately....
spg.gif

I had absolutely no problems playing through DMC4 with the 360 pad, and also I find it much better for all racing games, including Burnout Paradise...

Davidion

The 360 controller's main weakness is the D-pad, and even that isn't something that the PS controllers excel at. Nintendo's D-pads take that cake.

Other than that, however, the 360's controller functions well and is just much more ergonomic and comfortable. I can't think of a single controller element outside the D-pad where the 360 controller doesn't operate on par with or completely outshine the PS controller.

Ogni-XR21 said:
The PS3 triggers suck so much that the 360 pad automatically wins.

I want a combination of 360/PS3/Saturn controller.
360 triggers, sticks, and ergonomics + Saturn D-pad + DS3 bumpers = GREATEST CONTROLLER EVER.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
I could not play Resistance because of the PS3 controller. Makes me sad because I really wanted Killzone 2 but no way will I play a FPS with that controller. I much prefer the 360 controller.

WinFonda

The dualshock has been around for over 10 years and has largely remain unchanged. Because of it's design longevity, I've had many years to get accustomed to it. To mold to it. I've never had a problem with it, but by now, I'm so familiar with the design that I find it preferable to just about everything.

I can still switch between the 360 controller and the PS3 controller seamlessly with absolutely no issues. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and both excel at different genre's, but overall I've never had a problem with either one. Even the 360's D-Pad isn't as big an issue to me as it is a lot of people.

The 360 controller is probably the best tradition controller that I've ever played with. The triggers, bumpers, and joysticks are perfect. The face buttons are good, but not perfect. The only thing that I don't like about the 360 is the d-pad.

Firewire

Banned
Personally I don't really mind either controller that much. I am much more used to the PS controller's but the 360 one is ok. My only real gripe is that after a couple of hours my hands tend to hurt from the 360 controller, which I think is due to the size rather than the shape.

Top Bottom