• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

Unless there are some weird issues and bugs in this re-release, reviews are pretty much uesless for this game. We know the type of game it is, we know the content.

It can get a 1/10 from reviewers, we will still know that it is one of the best action games out there with a godly combat.

if it got 1/10 from reviewers, somebody would seriously have to be wrong and you should probably look into that before parting money with it

Dahbomb

Bo2BG.gif

People are quickly tapping into the TRUE power of the Legendary Dark Slayer.

Also dem reverse inputs and ridiculously fast Helm Breakers....

He's making it RAIN!

What i find annoying is the fact that even though i preordered when it first went up , the theme wont unlock until release day yet some people seem to have the theme already.

So i just checked PSN (Uk) to see if pre load is up and it isnt. Whats more concerning is the fact that its telling me the game will be available to play on the 24th not the 23rd. How is this possible?

Did they give the Special Edition some visual touch-up? All the gifs i'm seeing are visually pretty impressive, or does dmc4 just hold up well in smaller pictures? Haven't played the og version in like 6 months but i really don't remember the lighting effects looking that nice at times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm confused.

Swery's team was oversaw by Capcom is what he means. I'm assuming they did all three versions with Capcom's oversight team doing the "PC port"/overseeing it since Swery himself didn't have much PC experience (see: Red Seeds Profile/Deadly Premonition PC->D4 PC).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm confused.

"They handled us" means to me that they were under management of Capcom, basically, and they utilized their manpower to make it.

Did they give the Special Edition some visual touch-up? All the gifs i'm seeing are visually pretty impressive, or does dmc4 just hold up well in smaller pictures? Haven't played the og version in like 6 months but i really don't remember the lighting effects looking that nice at times.

It is visually touched up a little. Better textures and motion blur. And if you played the OG version on consoles, you didn't see the max settings PC version, so it'll be an improvement there. I don't think the shadows were changed in a significant way from the PC version, though.

Nero and Dante share a campaign. Lady and Trish share a campaign.

I didn't know that, that's pretty neat and an elegant solution; I see it's in the OP, heh. It also says Vergil plays his campain on his own, I'm assuming it's unchanged from Nero/Dante aside from cutscenes, i.e. he plays both Nero and Dante's parts?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I didn't know that, that's pretty neat and an elegant solution; I see it's in the OP, heh. It also says Vergil plays his campain on his own, I'm assuming it's unchanged from Nero/Dante aside from cutscenes, i.e. he plays both Nero and Dante's parts?

Yes. The actual content of the campaigns haven't changed in any significant way, and Vergil plays solo the entire way through.

Dahbomb

Yeah he just plays Nero/Dante's campaign.

Bought.

One thing I want to ask before the game is out - did anyone else have trouble with the dodging mechanic in the original game? It's done by locking onto an enemy, holding the stick to left or right relative to the enemy and jumping. I always had trouble with getting the right angle with the stick.

Is there some other dodge mechanic I'm not aware of? Was I doing it wrong? Or do I just need some practice?

BadWolf

One thing I want to ask before the game is out - did anyone else have trouble with the dodging mechanic in the original game? It's done by locking onto an enemy, holding the stick to left or right relative to the enemy and jumping. I always had trouble with getting the right angle with the stick.

Is there some other dodge mechanic I'm not aware of? Was I doing it wrong? Or do I just need some practice?

Regular jump.

Your character is invincible from start up till reaching the apex.

You can dodge pretty much anything in the game with it, I don't even bother with the roll dodge tbh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It just takes practice. Nero has Table Hopper, which is a perfectly timed sideroll with quicker recovery and mobility (as often seen in the vs. Credo gif). Dante, in Trickster Style, has the Trickster Dash, performed with O. In the air, Dante has Sky Star which is an air dash with huge i-frames, performed with O (in the air) as well.

The easiest universal way to dodge in DMC is with the jump. The early jump frames are invincible, so if you time your jumps right, you can avoid most attacks. When paired with Sky Star in particular, you have a generous amount of invincibility to get out of harm's way.

Heh, never knew that jumping had iframes. Will remember that.

If you are having trouble with dodging just pick Vergil and teleport to dodge. Easiest dodge ever.

Vergil and Lady will probably be the characters I'll put most time into. I don't think I'll touch the Nero-Dante campaign for a long ass time.

Heh, never knew that jumping had iframes. Will remember that.
The weirder thing for me is that I knew there was invincibility upon jumping, but I never really made a habit of using it in most cases. I always tried to dodge roll/table hop instead because side dodging in my mind is just cooler.

Afrocious

How's DMC4 on Son of Sparda mode? Trying to gauge how difficult this mode is in comparison to other games, if possible.

It's been a while, but I beasted on DMC4 vanilla...on normal. I think I tackled some of the harder difficulties in DMC3SE.

Tarry

How's DMC4 on Son of Sparda mode? Trying to gauge how difficult this mode is in comparison to other games, if possible.

It's been a while, but I beasted on DMC4 vanilla...on normal. I think I tackled some of the harder difficulties in DMC3SE.

I think its probably the easiest classic DMC game in terms of difficulty.

Golnei

It's a comfortable base difficulty which allows ample room for error if you're returning to the game after not touching 4 for years. Apparently LDK enemies are similar to SOS statistically, but in greater numbers, so going from Son of Sparda to that would be a good way to refamiliarise yourself with the game before doing DMD/Hell and Hell.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Son is Sparda is pretty forgiving in DMC4, but as mentioned, DMC4 is the easiest of the series overall probably with the exception of DMC2.

Blader

It's so funny to see all this love for DMC4 now. Back when it came out, I remember most people being pretty so-so, if not outright shitting, on it and how it didn't hold a candle to DMC3.

Looking forward to playing it again -- last time was back when it came out, seven years ago (shit did that fly by).

Ghazi

Does it say "Ready to Start" on the xbone for anyone else, but doesn't let you start it anyway vs saying it was pre ordered before?

Switzer

Alright so this will be my first DMC game, and also my first character action game. Anybody have any sage advice for a newbie like myself, gameplay or plot-wise? I pre-ordered the PC version (fingers crossed its a good port).

Clawww

Alright so this will be my first DMC game, and also my first character action game. Anybody have any sage advice for a newbie like myself, gameplay or plot-wise? I pre-ordered the PC version (fingers crossed its a good port).

Play on a controller. Make sure to use lock-on. Don't choose Easy-Automatic.

Take your time and play around with controls. You'll get the hang of things over time, just remember to keep incorporating different things and thinking critically about what's working or not. There's a learning curve to these games, so you'll gradually become better (a really fun and satisfying process).

If you're failing, don't get mad. Just focus and try to figure out enemy attacks and patterns. Don't get greedy and continuously go for offense, but don't be too slow to seize an opening. Develop methods for dealing with enemies.

Switzer

Play on a controller. Make sure to use lock-on. Don't choose Easy-Automatic.

Take your time and play around with controls. You'll get the hang of things over time, just remember to keep incorporating different things and thinking critically about what's working or not. There's a learning curve to these games, so you'll gradually become better (a really fun and satisfying process).

If you're failing, don't get mad. Just focus and try to figure out enemy attacks and patterns. Don't get greedy and continuously go for offense, but don't be too slow to seize an opening. Develop methods for dealing with enemies.

Good info, thanks! I play souls games and fighting games (albeit poorly lol) so hopefully there is some crossover in skillsets.

Top Bottom