• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Adept's Cluster Grenade is godlike... Shepard throws a bunch of grenades. With luck or good aim, you can have them spread over a large area... Very, very much fun.
Adept's heavy melee is great, it actually does a small biotic throw. I assume it lacks the power of some other classes melee but the throw makes up for any damage loss, if there is such.
Otherwise Adept is a bit lame. The biotics still lack the power they had in ME1. At least they feel like they're lacking. Maybe investing enough talents in them makes them better, maybe not. Singularity and Warp is a fun combo though. Can't figure out what to do with Pull though... but then it was never part of my arsenal in ME2 (useless against shielded/armored targets, defenseless targets i shoot as that was the most efficient way of playing, IMO).

My brother played as Engineer. Long cooldowns cripple that class just like they cripple Adepts. The turret power is fun, it is Engineer's grenade equivalent (does Vanguard have grenade-like power?) though dunno how effective it was, my brother didn't seem to be liking it. Cryo blast seems to be more useful as it can now affect targets with shields or other defenses (worthless in ME2, only neural shock was even worse since that one affected only organics). Engineer's heavy melee looked really boring... does it cause DOT effect on the enemies?

Well because weapon loadouts and having more weapons, and heavier weapons, effects cooldowns I would imagine playing as an Adept or Engineer it would be best to carry just 2 weapons, 3 max, in order to have as short as possible cooldowns. I wish we could see just how dramatic an effect each weapon has on the cooldowns. I bet if you really wanted to you could even get away with just carrying a single weapon to really be able to spam your tech and biotic abilities.

iavi

Just played through the introduction, got to the Solarian HQ, and turned the demo off. I don't need to see anymore, the game will be glorious. An impressions breakdown:

Direction: I didn't feel as if that intro was anywhere near as strong as ME2's, even with 'Little Billy' trying to tug at my strings, but the cut-scenes in general seem to be much better directed.

Graphics: The textures are still muddy in areas (expected, I guess) and there is a bit of funkiness in the facial animation during conversation choices that could use some tuning, but the game as a whole looks much better than 2. Actual models have lost the awkward sheen (As GoW3 did, so me thinks it has to do with UE improvements), waters great, and the vistas were hawt.

Sound: The OST is fabulous. Fucking Fabulous. And the VA's great as usual. I can't really say much more as I don't really know how, and didn't play it on a setup that could even begin gauge the deeper aspects of sound direction, so I'll just say that I felt as if the guns sounded a bit cheap.

Kinect: Wtf. This worked so well, I'm actually amazed. I didn't have to do any awkward, robotic note pronunciations for it to work; I would just call out real quick and they'd respond as quickly as they could. I noticed that they wouldn't if under fire, but that makes sense. I will definitely make use of this throughout the whole game.

Woorloog

Banned
Well because weapon loadouts and having more weapons, and heavier weapons, effects cooldowns I would imagine playing as an Adept or Engineer it would be best to carry just 2 weapons, 3 max, in order to have as short as possible cooldowns. I wish we could see just how dramatic an effect each weapon has on the cooldowns. I bet if you really wanted to you could even get away with just carrying a single weapon to really be able to spam your tech and biotic abilities.

I really wonder how much effect do weapon loadouts have on the CD. If it is mere 5-10%... Better be strong effect.
Ah well, i'm going to be running around with two weapons only regardless of class, i never needed more than 2 in ME2.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I PMed you even though you weren't talking to me. I'm desperate. Have a heart.

Hey man, I already used the code he sent me, but the app is about to be working again in the next 20 minutes, so if I win a code, I'll PM it to you.

Sorry about that, I hope I win one when it comes along.

CrazyDude

Hey man, I already used the code he sent me, but the app is about to be working again in the next 20 minutes, so if I win a code, I'll PM it to you.

Sorry about that, I hope I win one when it comes along.

It's alright, you don't need to do that. I decided I will wait to play the full game. So there is no need to do that.

Overdoziz

Banned
I went into this demo after not liking ME1 (I did finish it, though) and without having played ME2. What I played didn't appeal to me at all. The biggest problem for me is that I don't like 3rd person shooter combat at all. It always feels so clunky and slow. It has been a problem for me in Gears, in ME1 and now in ME3. In FPSs I feel like I'm so much more agile and have a lot more capabilities but in TPSs it's just frustrating.

Also, having to press A for running sucks.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's alright, you don't need to do that. I decided I will wait to play the full game. So there is no need to do that.

You sent him your code? Wow man, you really are a great guy.

And I just tried the app again and didn't get anything again, but I think I know why, unless all the codes are gone: I never refresh the app before using, and everytime I go through and don't win anything, I continue and then it asks me my DOB, Gamertag and all that - next time I'll just refresh first and then try.

Wonko_C

I went into this demo after not liking ME1 (I did finish it, though) and without having played ME2. What I played didn't appeal to me at all. The biggest problem for me is that I don't like 3rd person shooter combat at all. It always feels so clunky and slow. It has been a problem for me in Gears, in ME1 and now in ME3. In FPSs I feel like I'm so much more agile and have a lot more capabilities but in TPSs it's just frustrating.

Also, having to press A for running sucks.

You should give Vanquish a shot then, it's the epitome of third person shooting: fast, frantic, responsive, and always in control.

I kinda like the tank-like nature of TPS in those games you mentioned, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wow, they really increased Biotic Charge's cooldown time. I don't think that was necessary at all. In ME2, Biotic Charge could be used properly to chain kills and movement if executed properly, but led to death very easily if done sloppily. In this demo, it feels restrictive. I hope there are items or something that will decrease cooldown.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just started the introduction right up to when you actually get to play, with the surround sound and bass turned up on my 7.1 Dolby Digital headset.

Holy.

Shit.

I'm back in the Mass Effect world.

That's it, I'm going to run a marathon of Mass Effect 2 with the DLC and finishing up my Infiltrator Insane run, and then I'll be ready for ME3.

Oh wow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow, they really increased Biotic Charge's cooldown time. I don't think that was necessary at all. In ME2, Biotic Charge could be used properly to chain kills and movement if executed properly, but led to death very easily if done sloppily. In this demo, it feels restrictive. I hope there are items or something that will decrease cooldown.

Cool down is now based around loud out. Equip less guns and you'll recharge faster. They're trying to balance weapon with powers, making power focused builds with less weapons a viable alternative to running and gunning.

The demo apparently doesn't let you customise your load out, which is a bit weird, as you wont can't see the benefits of a fast recharge build.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Cool down is now based around loud out. Equip less guns and you'll recharge faster. They're trying to balance weapon with powers, making power focused builds with less weapons a viable alternative to running and gunning.

The demo apparently doesn't let you customise your load out, which is a bit weird, as you wont can't see the benefits of a fast recharge build.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks! I thought it was rather weird to wield an Assault Rifle as a Vanguard. I hope the changes are significant, as having one less firearm makes a pretty big difference.

Is there anything else that affects Cooldown? Do we know if the defense-type/guntype relationship still exists, where automatic weapons damage shields more and semi-auto damages armor?

Drewfonse

Pm me, I have a code that I have yet to use.

Hey, thanks a lot for the code, it had already been used though. I wasn't able to immediately respond to your PM, so I assume you gave it to someone else. Thanks again.

Anyone else have a demo code for my pathetic ass?

X-Frame

Is there a base percentage per class? Meaning, does the Soldier maintain "base 0" of their cool down with 4 guns while the Adept maintains "base 0" with only 2 guns? And if you only too 1 gun with the Adept, will it be "-1 or -2" cool down so it's faster?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there a base percentage per class? Meaning, does the Soldier maintain "base 0" of their cool down with 4 guns while the Adept maintains "base 0" with only 2 guns? And if you only too 1 gun with the Adept, will it be "-1 or -2" cool down so it's faster?

No idea. BioWare hasn't given us the math behind it. All I know is that was one of the big focuses for ME3's combat and equipment. They wanted to bring back the concept of choosing your own load-out and increasing the usefulness of powers.

Unlike ME2 every class can essentially use every single weapon in the game, but classes have different bonuses and restrictions for certain weapons. Soldier is the only one who can hold every gun, for example. The more weapons you hold the 'heavier' your character is and the longer it takes to recharge your powers. Equip less guns to make your character lighter and thus increase recharge speed.

They said they wanted to make even pure shooter classes like Soldier playable with less weapons and high recharge, so it might just be universal. It's a shame they didn't let us play with this in the demo.

hlhbk

I saw someone complaining about the lack of trail at the beginning of the demo. I am just now playing through this the first time and its obvious to me that the beginning of the demo is not the beginning of the game. Sheppard is already relieved of his duties, which I am sure if the beginning of the game considering the build up to the trial in the DLC.

No idea. BioWare hasn't given us the math behind it. All I know is that was one of the big focuses for ME3's combat and equipment. They wanted to bring back the concept of choosing your own load-out and increasing the usefulness of powers.

Unlike ME2 every class can essentially use every single weapon in the game, but classes have different bonuses and restrictions for certain weapons. Soldier is the only one who can hold every gun, for example. The more weapons you hold the 'heavier' your character is and the longer it takes to recharge your powers. Equip less guns to make your character lighter and thus increase recharge speed.

They said they wanted to make even pure shooter classes like Soldier playable with less weapons and high recharge, so it might just be universal. It's a shame they didn't let us play with this in the demo.
Soldiers can't use sub-machine guns in ME2 if I am correct.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Did anyone else smile after seeing members of the squad together (Wrex, Garrus, Liara). Goddamn, I think is gonna hit hard if someone from the gang dies, which is bound to happen

:(

But that's what it makes it so powerful.

rozay

Banned
For the people worried about the cooldown times, here's an easy way to see just how much of an effect 4 weapons has-compare the cooldown times on powers at level 1 on Earth to the powers at level one on Sur'Kesh. There's a pretty big difference, and they'll get lower when with higher levels/armor parts. Not worried about it at all.

I know we have someone at Bioware reading this thread, and I just want to say there really should've been a weapon bench in the level or custom loadouts per class, even if there weren't more guns than what we started the stage with-it's really giving people the wrong impression about gameplay with the powers (moreso for new players that don't pick soldier!)
They've changed how loadouts work-you can equip any weapon in the game and you can give your squadmates any weapon you want (for example giving Liara a revenant). All classes except soldier have slower cooldowns and reload speeds when running with 4-5 guns, and the guns all have specific weights so you will perform differently with different loadouts.

EatChildren

I meant for Mass Effect 3, Soldier is the only class able to equip every type of gun. Otherwise yeah, they couldn't use sub machine guns in ME2.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Being able to carry all 5 weapon variants is a pretty meaningless bonus in my mind, I mean who really uses more than 3 weapons anyways. That said, Soldier is by far the most boring and useless class in the game, at least to me. Its the only class I have no interest in playing as and have only ever bothered to play to completion once during one of my earlier ME playthroughs and only tried briefly in ME2 before quickly stopping and switching over to a more interesting class type during one of my later runs.

It still blows my mind that ME2 players chose to play as a Soldier more than every other class combined. Such a bland choice.

They've changed how loadouts work-you can equip any weapon in the game and you can give your squadmates any weapon you want (for example giving Liara a revenant). All classes except soldier have slower cooldowns and reload speeds when running with 4-5 guns, and the guns all have specific weights so you will perform differently with different loadouts.

I meant for Mass Effect 3, Soldier is the only class able to equip every type of gun. Otherwise yeah, they couldn't use sub machine guns in ME2.
Ah. Gotchya. My bad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is a bad place to ask, but does playing the demo give you anything for the full retail game? I know it unlocks stuck for KoA, and can open up one of the Facebook app perks, but is there any content (guns, armor, experience, etc.) that carries over or gives you a bonus in the full game?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just finished the demo, and I'm impressed, seriously am.

Combat feels and sound better than ME2, of course it's still not perfect, but they moved forward by quite a bit. Had no trouble with snapping to and getting off cover, but then again I played Gears since day one so this was no trouble for me.

Weapons feel a bit more meaty when they hit enemies, and the environment damage from weapons look better too. Some weapons do sound a tad bit softer, but they're sharper now too.

Man, I had a huge smile on my face watching the new upgrade system for leveling up powers with the branches - I see myself experimenting quite a good bit with the way I plan to go with them. And I like the paths for the new Vanguard power as well (which I didn't even know about since I was on a total blackout info-wise aside from a couple trailers) - went the way that I could use two in one go, and it was real useful for the last mission at the end.

I finished the demo before trying out to see if I could instantly set my new points after leveling up right in the middle of a mission just like ME1, but I'll remember to do that on the next run which will be an Infiltrator run, my second favorite class.

Demo made me real happy with the gear and attachments I found, but no place to equip them :(.

I purposely stayed away from playthroughs of the demo, even the leaked beta just so that I could go into the demo totally fresh, but now I'm gonna check out streams and YouTube just to see how others played and with other powers.

Oh man, now I'm actually beginning to get hyped for MP now!

Thanks man

Tried again for you bro, still nothing. Sorry man - I'll try again one more time in the next two hours and be back on it again tomorrow, but don't get your hopes up because it looks like I started trying way too late and codes might be already gone.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Weird that it lets you pick Kaiden, Ashley, or Numerous for deaths at the start of the demo. I tried a run with Numerous but still ran into Ashley, Liara, Garrus, and Wrex at the normal parts.

I finished the demo before trying out to see if I could instantly set my new points after leveling up right in the middle of a mission just like ME1, but I'll remember to do that on the next run which will be an Infiltrator run, my second favorite class.

You can. The game in general seems to be mixing ME1 and 2 in the best ways.

rozay

Banned
Just finished the demo, and I'm impressed, seriously am.

Combat feels and sound better than ME2, of course it's still not perfect, but they moved forward by quite a bit. Had no trouble with snapping to and getting off cover, but then again I played Gears since day one so this was no trouble for me.

Weapons feel a bit more meaty when they hit enemies, and the environment damage from weapons look better too. Some weapons do sound a tad bit softer, but they're sharper now too.

Man, I had a huge smile on my face watching the new upgrade system for leveling up powers with the branches - I see myself experimenting quite a good bit with the way I plan to go with them. And I like the paths for the new Vanguard power as well (which I didn't even know about since I was on a total blackout info-wise aside from a couple trailers) - went the way that I could use two in one go, and it was real useful for the last mission at the end.

Demo made me real happy with the gear and attachments I found, but no place to equip them :(.

I purposely stayed away from playthroughs of the demo, even the leaked beta just so that I could go into the demo totally fresh, but now I'm gonna check out streams and YouTube just to see how others played and with other powers.

Oh man, now I'm actually beginning to get hyped for MP now!

Tried again for you bro, still nothing. Sorry man - I'll try again one more time in the next two hours and be back on it again tomorrow, but don't get your hopes up because it looks like I started trying way too late and codes might be already gone.
You indeed can set your new points in the middle of a mission. Burn in hell, mission complete screens.

Dany

Banned
A quick glance through this thread and I'm curious. A solider who caries all weapons won't be affected by slow power cooldowns while an adept is going to have a larger cooldown?

Also, yeah, totally getting XP off loot and gaining level in mission is totally rad!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol, lets see if Bioware can redeem a total shit reputation with this one. Im fully expecting some shit revelation once review copies start flowing in.

Drewfonse

You've already gone above and beyond, thanks. Game sounds amazing!

Top Bottom