• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate Windows 10 (ranting)

mhayes86

some people take their laptops home. I've deployed updates for end users at large organizations. I gave a WEEK for you to shut down and restart, including a weekend, and people would still complain because they wouldnt update by the deadline and then the deadline would come and fuck their shit up.

I've even had one idiot hold the power button down to turn the computer off during the part of windows updates that says "do not power off your computer - windows is updating" she bricked her own computer. People are fucking stupid, sorry, but they are.

Hah! I'm not going to disagree with you there.
Those "pretty pictures" are ads. Ever hover over the little text that says "Like what you see?" They're ads, often for vacation destinations. They might be unusually tasteful ads, but Microsoft is still getting paid to shill to you.

Hey, looks like I might be wrong though: they can be disabled in the Pro version? Not entirely sure.

They can be turned off. Look up disabling lock screen ads in gpedit. I can't remember what the setting was off the top of my head.

eso76

You sure you didn't have a background window asking you to postpone again ?

Win 10 has been pretty great on my side, except

- insisting it installs its own drivers for my nvidia cart

- fucking horrible ICC Color profile management (seriously, why can't they fix it ??)

- I don't want to be asked a password to start windows, why is it that hard to remove.

- shared folders has been a nightmare. Convoluted mess where i have to tell it that Everyone can do everything on anything then define user "Everyone" in multiple windows and after that the creators update comes and ruins everything so now accessing network folders asks me for username and password (that I never specified)

These plus the inconsistencies in the UI bother me, but mostly on a purely aesthetical level.

Gilby

I have to use 10 at work and it's constantly frustrating. Then I come home to my sweet Win 7 pc and all is right with the world. Sticking with 7 until I have no other choice.

Vuze

Yup. Windows 10 is useless for laptops. Updates are mostly smooth and invisible on my desktop machine (to the point I even wonder if it does update... I should check that 🤔) but the past year or so since I switched to 10 on my laptop has been one single test of patience.
I eventually decided to sell it off after I deliberately updated it the night before a presentation and the PoS continued to update when I booted it up 30mins before I had to give the talk. This happened twice. Eff that. Irreliability is a nuisance on desktops but a serious deal breaker on mobile devices.

Switched to a used rMacBook last week and couldn't be happier. Updates are delivered through the AppStore rather than ominously forced down your throat and the one major macOS upgrade I performed took less time to complete than one single Windows 10 mini update installation.

Undrey

The worst thing about Windows 10 is
Windows-10-Blue-screen-QR-code.jpg

Daffy Duck

I don't have any problems with Windows 10 on my laptop (shipped with 10), work machine or desktop at home.

I've also put it on a colleagues computer from circa 2011 and she's had no problems at all with the OS, her main problem is doing stupid shit that messes her PC up.

Occam

Have you heard the good news about Ubuntu? It never does any of this shit. And it's free. And comes with a free office solution pre-installed. No ads. It doesn't spy on you, either.
And it's faster than Windows. Boots faster, runs faster. And it's secure. Viruses, trojans, ransomware? What are those?

And if for some reason you must use MS Office on Ubuntu because Microsoft purposely keeps breaking compatibility of its proprietary document file formats to force you to upgrade, you can do that, too. Just use the Wine compatibility layer.

Apathy

There are a lot of frustrating choices they took. My administrator only account couldn't install an old version of utorrent I like, it forbade me from doing it. Then I found out there's a secret administrator account, I could install it there but because it was so old it didn't have the option to install on all users. I had to finally go into a command prompt and install it that way on my account.

It's the only account on the computer, I am the administrator, it has administrator rights but it wouldn't let me do what I wanted. Stop fighting the supposed administrator.

I'm still having trouble with the built in drivers for my network controller that every time I start my PC it finds it but has an x on the driver. If I scan for hardware changes it instantly finds it. If I try to use older drivers when I uninstall the drivers and try to put on older ones during the install, even though I'll telling it where the drivers I want are at it goes and installs the built in ones. Like why the fuck are you doing that when I give you the location of the ones I want you to use.

Sometimes the benefits of 10 are washed with it fighting it's users.

It's the worst and I still hate it, but at the same time it's the only Windows OS (forgetting that 8.1 exists) that can handle DPI scaling (more or less) properly Some of the QoL improvements make it hard to go back to Windows 7, like having a copy manager that allows for pausing them. It also finally fixes the audio output to AV receivers by allowing me to output 5.1 multichannel PCM, something I was never able to do with 7 (forcing me to use optical and a dolby live encoder).

samn

Have you heard the good news about Ubuntu? It never does any of this shit. And it's free. And comes with a free office solution pre-installed. No ads. It doesn't spy on you, either.
And it's faster than Windows. Boots faster, runs faster. And it's secure. Viruses, trojans, ransomware? What are those?

And if for some reason you must use MS Office on Ubuntu because Microsoft purposely keeps breaking compatibility of its proprietary document file formats to force you to upgrade, you can do that, too. Just use the Wine compatibility layer.

You've not read about the shit Ubuntu pulled with Amazon have you?

nkarafo

WTF is going on with the creators update?

I decided to do an update for a laptop and now there are 120 processes in memory with no programs opened. It only had like 60 processes before the update.

tokkun

That was very annoying, but it does illustrate the fact that you have choices as a user of Linux. I switched to Mint when Ubuntu started pushing the Amazon app. Unfortunately Windows has a monopoly if you want to be able to play PC games, so there is no competitive pressure to prevent MS from doing anti-consumer moves.

Number_6

I also hate Windows 10. So much extra shit going on in the background, sometimes simple shit like Firefox is slow to load.

Memory leaks on a semi-regular basis make me have to hard reset. It's such trash.

Occam

Yes, having that amazon app/search preinstalled is a terrible choice, and goes against the linux philosophy. You can easily remove it, though: https://www.lifewire.com/remove-amazon-application-from-ubuntu-4134329

Of course Ubuntu is only one flavor of Linux, and it doesn't negate anything else I wrote.

Windows 10 on the other hand CONSTANTLY spies on almost everything you do; Microsoft even gets your CPU serial number when you install it. And they have the audacity to force you to reactivate it when you change your hardware configuration. Truly the Big Brother-Nanny of operating systems. Goodbye privacy. But hey, at least it's free. Oh, wait.

accx

You aren't gonna have any problems as long as you aren't going to shady/suspicious sites, aren't opening attachments you don't recognise etc. Basically if you are computer savvy the chances of you getting infected are pretty low.
When I was doing tech support I had far far more calls from people whose computers had issues after Windows updates going through, than from people who had issues that could've been prevented if they had only installed updates.

You should try installing Win XP on a machine without updates and connect it to the internet. It's a fantastic lesson of why you should always do security and service pack updates.
(I think it takes you like barely a minute to get infected).

And y'all going "urgh as long as you dun' go to shady sites you're safe". Nuh-uh. Wannacry was the latest one that spread through exploits.
https://www.avg.com/en/signal/wannacry-ransomware-what-you-need-to-know
But it's been happening since the dawn of time. Embedding shit into ads on popular (and legit) sites is another way.
Hell, the win xp shit infects you almost immediately when connecting to the internet. It's absolutely fascinating. Get a small SSD and install OS on it, always update (this is to avoid any annoyance for it being too slow or whatever). Always save your work every 10-15 minutes. Always backup. Not following simple shit that'll save you a ton of headache is on you as a user.

mcrommert

Banned
Choose 'update and shutdown'.
Turn computer on, still updating.

Perhaps you don't understand how windows has worked... Forever

Updates are applied during shutdown... And then the rest of the update is applied during boot

In the case of their feature updates (read actual new version of windows)... After login your user account is converted to the new version.

Windows 10 has worked in the patching department exactly the same as Windows always had... These feature updates happen at the most twice a year. You guys are seriously complaining about this? For a normal end user this is absolutely nothing... One just has to exercise a slight bit of management over ones system

Nevasleep

Perhaps you don't understand how windows has worked... Forever

Updates are applied during shutdown... And then the rest of the update is applied during boot
Just because it's been done this way forever, doesn't make it good. It's annoying, as it always has been for Windows. When I turn my PC on I want it to be ready to use. How about adding ETAs too "This update will take approximately 7 minutes".
Linux updating just feels quicker and slicker.

I have two pc's at home running Windows 10. It's been great except after quite a number of updates my wi-fi internet won't automatically connect upon waking rather often after updates. Then, after a month or two, they seem to fix that. Seems to be a recurring problem, though, for some reason.

Only Win10 annoying thing for me is a problem with sound spiking on my laptop. It has gotten better but never quite right. Basically after the sound isn't used for a bit, audio is really loud until you adjust the volume, then it is correct for a while again.

Then again my laptop doesn't have official Win10 support (shipped with 8) although it does have 10-friendly drivers on the Asus website.

The forced driver updates with Windows updates are annoying, but I can see why they did that with Home. People don't understand that these days you need your OS up to date so you don't get a banking Trojan installed because of a malicious ad pushed out through CNN.com or whatever. Security is totally different than it was a decade ago.

Most of the update headaches are Home edition issues, I'm on Pro, it lets you do them whenever. And yes, if you keep mostly up to date, a lot of them don't require reboot any more.

Juicy Bob

I just hate that I can't seem to get any of my old PC games working on Windows 10.

Like, I just want to play my old racing sims from 10 years ago. Why is it so hard.

Takuan

Only thing that bugs me about windows 10 is that my start button no longer seems to work. I tried a few recommendations from googled links but nothing worked. It's a minor annoyance.

Crayon

You mean when the distro had an Amazon app that was on by default? Squashed quickly because users could walk off to any other distro whenever they want? It's like the exception that proves the rule.

99Luffy

Banned
I never did get Windows 10 to work perfectly. To this day one of my computers doesnt have a search bar that works, its basically just a picture of search bar. Nothing happens when I click on it. On my other computer it works but it only searches apps. I have to open up a window and use the search bar on the top right corner which thankfully is still a windows 7 style search bar.

My biggest annoyance though. "Update and Shutdown" doesnt actually update and shutdown. Cause when I turn it back on again I still get an updating screen. Why.

Actually that isnt it. For some reason my add devices screen takes forreeeeever to open up now. I dont know why, I have like 2 printers in there. This never happened with 7.

Mohasus

My biggest annoyance though. "Update and Shutdown" doesnt actually update and shutdown. Cause when I turn it back on again I still get an updating screen. Why.

Because some files are in use when you shutdown your PC, so it updates before loading them when you turn it on.

Same reason why some programs ask you to restart your computer to finish an installation.

Docker keeps crashing on startup 80% of the time. This is so annoying. <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:47.91666666666667% 35.41666666666667%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f621"></span></span>

Hey, I work at Docker; if you have a stack trace or something, definitely report it!

Sometimes Windows 10 says it's going to restart, I tell it no, and it's somewhat OK with it. Other times it tells me to fuck myself and it's restarting whether I like it or not. It seems like every time I check on how to disable forced restarts there's a new setting or registry entry.

At least aside from that Windows 10 is pretty good. Whereas Xbox has the same "fuck you" updates while being a pretty trash OS top to bottom.

Hylian7

I was playing Dota earlier and it just suddenly popped up saying it wanted to restart, and I had to click snooze. That's really irritating that it won't even check if you're playing a game or something.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Do the people that encounter forced restarts not dive into settings and configure when their active time is? The annoying part about that is you are told to have a minimum down time or x hours, but you can modify/remove that. I've never had a random restart while using my computer, and although I'd be on Linux if I didn't use my PC for gaming almost exclusively, Windows 10 doesn't cause me many if any problems that aren't fixable. It's just the Cortana stuff and other forced stuff.

If there was a SKU of Windows that gave control back to people I'm sure it would sell pretty well.

Blizzard

Banned
Do the people that encounter forced restarts not dive into settings and configure when their active time is? The annoying part about that is you are told to have a minimum down time or x hours, but you can modify/remove that. I've never had a random restart while using my computer, and although I'd be on Linux if I didn't use my PC for gaming almost exclusively, Windows 10 doesn't cause me many if any problems that aren't fixable. It's just the Cortana stuff and other forced stuff.

If there was a SKU of Windows that gave control back to people I'm sure it would sell pretty well.
Some people do, and the active time settings may still get ignored, e.g. reboots in the middle of classes or presentations. It's been repeatedly reported by multiple people, possibly even in this thread. I don't know why it happens for some but not others.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Hey, I work at Docker; if you have a stack trace or something, definitely report it!
I keep sending the crash reports almost every other day. &#128514;

This blushing whale almost makes me thinks he's almost trying not to gain sempai's attention or anything. <///<

TIQNpxF.png

jogu

Only thing i hate about 10 is the constant update auto-reboots that mess with your downloads.
Ended up turning autoupdates completly off (wasnt easy).

I keep sending the crash reports almost every other day. &#55357;&#56834;

This blushing whale almost makes me thinks he's almost trying not to gain sempai's attention or anything. <///<

TIQNpxF.png

It looks to me like you need to share your volume with Docker (Settings > Shared Drives), just based on the general area in the stack trace. If that doesn't do it, try posting this in forums.docker.com - we got a lot of people who can help, and also dockercommunity.slack.com

Also, make sure you're using a stable release instead of an "Edge" release (see docs.docker.com and click "Get Docker"), because the "Edge" releases, which are easy to accidentally grab, are really for bleeding-edge users who want to test drive new features, stability be damned.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I loved W10 before the Anniversary Update, which just turned everything to shit for me. I'm running it on a pretty old laptop, but before that update it was smooth as hell, as smooth or smoother than W7 ever was on that computer. Now everything feels so much more laggy.

And another issue (although I think this started with a more recent update): Most of the time after exciting hibernation the computer will drop WiFi connection, and it won't come back until I restart the computer. This is annoying as fuck. I've tried disabling power saving on the WiFi device, but that somehow made it worse to where it was happening all the time. Any fix for this shit?

MilkBeard

I've done a number of modifications to Windows 10 and it runs a bit faster now. Mainly, turned off all the data collection "Windows Telemetry" BS that uses the disk drive and CPU sometimes when waking the computer.

Also did some research and fixed a few registry files so that less error reports come in on the action center (a number of users have had some strange error reports pop up there with the new updates to W10).

Bootup was kind of slow before, although not terrible--but now it's much faster, and the computer doesn't hang when booting. I've also disabled indexing because I rarely need it.

The main issue I have with Windows 10 is all the secret data collection processes and automated services that run which slow things down needlessly sometimes.

Raptomex

Worse than ME or Vista? No way. But I do question some of Microsoft's decisions. I really don't have any major complaints with 10. I primarily use it at home and we're upgrading to 10 at work. They need to re-enable Windows Photo Viewer. That's all I ask. You currently have to mess with the registry to enable it.

Mendrox

The worst thing about Windows 10 is
Windows-10-Blue-screen-QR-code.jpg

Had that three times these past months with different laptops which were clean with two of them having new harddrives and no way to repair my system. These were casual laptops for nothing special so it didn't bother me that much, but I had it more times than I wish. ~_~

linkboy

I've been running 10 on two different laptops since MS released the initial betas and I've had no issues with it.

My current laptop is an HP Elitebook and the OS has been rock solid.

Is the OS perfect, god no, and not everyone will have the same experience.

WhatNXt

There should be more granular options for this in the Settings menu, and this should probably be a thing they ask you when you set up Windows 10 for the first time - but I kinda get that they would want the norm to be less savvy users getting security updates automatically.

I have my own install set to alert me about updates and let me choose when to install them.

You can do this like so:

Press Win-R, type gpedit.msc , press Enter. This brings up the Local Group Policy Editor. Expand Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update. In the Options box, pull down the Configure automatic updating menu and select your preferred option.

BadWolf

The problem I've had since installing it is that the internet will stop working (downloading still works but none of the browsers will) and the only way to fix it is to restart the computer.

At first I thought it was a hardware problem but nope.

Top Bottom