• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360: Team Fortress 2 patch and new maps coming.

eznark

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
For those of you who don't know, every Thursday, the GAFers get together to play TF2 on 360. Check out the Online Forum for info and to get in on the action.

How is the learning curve on TF2? I'm thinking of picking it up for the PS3 (if the TF2 reviews for that version aren't awful) just so that I'm not diving in way over my head and either get frustrated or piss other people off for improper use of the medic or some such shit (or are TF2 players the kind, supportive type?) Figure if I get the PS3 version I'll be on par with the rest of the shlubs, and since I don't have much of an urge to play half life and portal seems to run fine on PS3, may be the way to go to get some longevity out of the Box.

Long-and-short...is it possible to play catch-up at this stage of the game in team fortress 2, or is there a brutal "newb" curve.

BrettBullet said:
For single player offline, you're right.....but MP is a completely different thing.

For the competitive aspects that develop out of the community's experience, yes. But for basic interface and protocol issues, that's not quite excusable. The menu messes up all the time, covering up the bandwidth rating column. And the game looks great when it's running smooth (I've played through many rounds with absolutely no problems), but when it lags, it does the ugliest things. Even slight lag can make things like the rocket launcher unusable. (It seems to have somewhat separate issues from the normal movement lag effects, and is far more sensitive to it. I've had the rockets just not launch at all, for example.) And the dropping bodies thing it does to try to fix matters is a pretty ugly solution, and usually doesn't work.

And I hate the fact that you can be totally frozen up on lag, and while nothing seems to update for anyone, if you in any way were near the range of a turret, it probably took you down in that moment.

Either way, I'm happy for this patch, and I don't mind that it took this long. I just hope it does the trick.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Where are my new DoD:S maps? :(

dod_avalanche can't satisfy me forever.
Actually, maybe it can.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
eznark said:
How is the learning curve on TF2? I'm thinking of picking it up for the PS3 (if the TF2 reviews for that version aren't awful) just so that I'm not diving in way over my head and either get frustrated or piss other people off for improper use of the medic or some such shit (or are TF2 players the kind, supportive type?) Figure if I get the PS3 version I'll be on par with the rest of the shlubs, and since I don't have much of an urge to play half life and portal seems to run fine on PS3, may be the way to go to get some longevity out of the Box.

Long-and-short...is it possible to play catch-up at this stage of the game in team fortress 2, or is there a brutal "newb" curve.

TF2 is probably one of the easiest mulitplayer FPS's to pick up and learn. The maps are extremely well designed and easy to learn, and while it'll take awhile to learn the little tricks and quirks of each class, all of them (save for maybe the Spy) are very accessable and you can do some damage right out of the gate. I'm a bit behind on the TF2 PC crowd but I still play all the time and even though my K/D spread may not be stellar sometimes, I always have a blast.

I am an owner of the PC version, but I hope the maps come as free, just because it would be fair. Even if the maps didn't come for the PC version from Valve, custom map makers would very likely imitate the maps anyhow.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
KittenMaster said:
I am an owner of the PC version, but I hope the maps come as free, just because it would be fair. Even if the maps didn't come for the PC version from Valve, custom map makers would very likely imitate the maps anyhow.

It sounds like the maps will be released individually on the PC and after a few of them are out, they'll release a bundled map pack for the 360 version.

It sounds like the maps will be released individually on the PC and after a few of them are out, they'll release a bundled map pack for the 360 version.
I see. I hope servers play these new maps, because a lot of servers seem to like that Lazytown custom map and 2fort, heh.

eznark said:

There is virtually no learning curve to TF2 with most classes. Pick Solider, Heavy, or Medic from the get go to learn. All the maps have arrows that point you in the direction of objectives. Anyone can pick it up in not time at all.

Shamrock

Banned
lockload said:
Its up to the publisher who is EA so it wont be free:lol

Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to respond to this as I haven't been able to check this thread in a couple days.

As far as I know MS made a policy that publishers/developers can no longer charge for content that is free on another platform. I read this in a interview with Peter Moore after 360 fans were up in arms about Rainbow Six Vegas on PS3 getting all the maps free that 360 users had to pay for through downloadable content.

It got so many people mad that UBI Soft actually took the maps down for 24 hours off the MP, put them up the next day as "free" and refunded anyones money who paid for them. It was after that that Moore said the new policy in a interview. Now whether or not MS still honors what Moore said in that interview is different story.

edit: Dugg this up.

Valve: our downloadable content will be free

Posted May 25th 2007 3:00PM by Richard Mitchell
Filed under: News
When perusing our comment threads, you may see comments from Team Fortress 2 fans that will be opting for the PC version over the 360 version? Why? Lots of free content. Specifically, lots of free user-made content. While it may be some time before user-made content heads to the 360, we are happy to report that any downloadable content for the Orange Box will be free. Eurogamer reports that Valve will not charge for its DLC. According to Team Fortress 2 designer, Robin Walker, "You buy the product, you get the content," who adds, "We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers." We imagine that someone at EA -- publisher of the Orange Box -- has just imploded. Free content is always good, especially when you consider that TF2 will ship with only 6 maps.

Valve said:
Hello Shamrock

Any email that starts with those words = instant win.

Anyway, glad to see TF2 will be getting its shit together online. Hearing about the horrendous lag through word of mouth put me off picking up the game as there's so much other stuff to play right now but when the update hits (and if it truly does sort out the lag), I'll take the plunge.

Borys

Banned
*yawn*

When perusing our comment threads, you may see comments from Team Fortress 2 fans that will be opting for the PC version over the 360 version? Why? Lots of free content. Specifically, lots of free user-made content. While it may be some time before user-made content heads to the 360, we are happy to report that any downloadable content for the Orange Box will be free. Eurogamer reports that Valve will not charge for its DLC. According to Team Fortress 2 designer, Robin Walker, "You buy the product, you get the content," who adds, "We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers." We imagine that someone at EA -- publisher of the Orange Box -- has just imploded. Free content is always good, especially when you consider that TF2 will ship with only 6 maps.

And this is why retards who cried with joy when Bethesda released premium HORSE ARMOR and other premium stuff that SHOULD BE FUCKING FREE are just that... retards, no offense to anyone from Bethesda.

STOP BUYING DLC ON 360 or you'll bring doom to your own hobby

STOP MICRORAPEMENTS

Brilliant news, will get right back into this game when the patch and maps come out.

To be fair though when I have played it I have not had too much trouble with lag or finding games.

Borys said:
*yawn*

And this is why retards who cried with joy when Bethesda released premium HORSE ARMOR and other premium stuff that SHOULD BE FUCKING FREE are just that... retards, no offense to anyone from Bethesda.

STOP BUYING DLC ON 360 or you'll bring doom to your own hobby

STOP MICRORAPEMENTS
I bought a Lumines pack just yesterday. I don't regret it.

Anyways the maps better include Avanti, otherwise there's no still no reason to play TF2.

Aegus

Son of Godzilla said:
I bought a Lumines pack just yesterday. I don't regret it.

Anyways the maps better include Avanti, otherwise there's no still no reason to play TF2.

There's a user made avanti for PC already afaik.

Mark D

Sounds like the new maps won't be arriving anytime soon. :(

I need new content now! I'm starting to get sick of the game.

Mr YuYu

Hopefully i won't be seeing "connection to the host lost" every 30 min now.
This game is all kinds of awesome but the constant lag made me go back to Halo 3 after 2 weeks.

Coop

Pai Pai Master said:
I hope Valve doesn't stay up at night wondering why their game only sold 50,000 units on PS3.

They wont, they'll be too busy counting all the money they made from Steam.

gbovo

Dark FaZe said:
Lag free? I've had tons of issues with the 360 version of Orange Box.
Yep. don't know if it's gotten better since the last time I played it, but when I did, the lag was pretty horrific and the game unplayable on Live.

Dark FaZe said:
Lag free? I've had tons of issues with the 360 version of Orange Box.

I think it's very much dependent on the host. If I host a game I can get a 16 player game going without any lag. Occasionally I'll join an 8 player one and we'll all jump around for 2 minutes before I give up and disconnect. I've found it to be a mostly enjoyable experience, maybe lag in...say, 10% of games. I may just be lucky.

McDragon said:

GABBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
its not just maps.Its game modes.
1.The console has no access to mods or usercreated maps so why not allow some other modes on the maps. The map with the trains would work fine as a CTF map ect.

2. lag sucks optimize it for listenservers which is what the host is. Shoot they could optimize TFC so it worked for people on 28.8 modems they can get this to work if they want to.

3.Fix the server browser stuff ITS BROKEN!
You can't find/join games with the game worth a crap.
Wheres the "Any" option ect so i can say show me all the servers running The Well "any" other settings plz. I dont' care what the player limit is ect. OR just show me all map servers with 16players that are open.

4. The stat tracking is broken My stats have never changed since after the first week of the game coming out no matter how many ranked games i played after that.
I still only have like 20kills for soldier ect.
Leaderboard filter options are broken as well Says hit X to filter next page..it never does anything.

Top Bottom