• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 is confirmed.

Kishgal

Banned
Hey, no more punky hero. Thumbs up. Looks like the menus have a nicer design, too. Didn't care for all of the pinstripes in the first one.

Also, real-time wi-fi battles this time? Very, very nice.

Kishgal

Banned
I think the actual real fights over WFC (like Pokemon) will make me go ahead and get this. I was really sad to find that DQMJ didn't have that feature. Glad to see it's in this one.

Hobbun said:
I hope the game still remains turn-based. If so, I am all over it when it (if) hits NA.
It is.

Mr. Pointy said:
Joker itself did 1.4 million. I wouldn't know if the game had any negative buzz from players in Japan, but it's probably a safer bet to follow it up rather than do an unrelated Monsters title.
Ehh. Joker is the fourth unrelated DQM title and has sold the third most, so I don't think a direct sequel is an obvious guess.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Boney said:
Nah, they'll announce FF Vr. You'll see.
As unlikely as I think it is at this point, they could. I don't think it would sell as well as FFIV though, much less FFIII, so this will be the last million seller for S-E on the DS.

Boney

Banned
jj984jj said:
As unlikely as I think it is at this point, they could. I don't think it would sell as well as FFIV though so this will be the last million seller for S-E on the DS.

On that I agree. By the way, how many million sellers did SE have on the DS?

Boney said:
On that I agree. By the way, how many million sellers did SE have on the DS?

Five so far.

Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest Monster: Joker
Final Fantasy III

This is just in Japan, not sure about WW totals.

farnham

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Why are some of you so quick to dub this Square-Enix's last hurrah on for the DS?
this. square enix has generated the most money on the ds this gen. why would they abandon their main source of profit..

jaundicejuice said:
Why are some of you so quick to dub this Square-Enix's last hurrah on for the DS?

Including this, they only have 3 games announced for the DS to my knowledge (for this year): Dragon Quest VI, Lufia 2 Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. It seems like most of their support has switched over to the PSP and the consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch more announcements coming for the DS, but for now, there isn't much.

thestopsign said:
Five so far.

Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III

I'm pretty certain that Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days broke 1 million WW, and I'm guessing that Final Fantasy XII RW came close.

thestopsign said:
Including this, they only have 3 games announced for the DS to my knowledge (for this year): Dragon Quest VI, Lufia 2 Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. It seems like most of their support has switched over to the PSP and the consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch more announcements coming for the DS, but for now, there isn't much.

Eh? I just think that they're balancing out their support. They just decided that PSP was ideal for certain games, I reckon.

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm pretty certain that Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days broke 1 million WW, and I'm guessing that Final Fantasy XII RW came close.

what about Final Fantasy IV...not so much?

jj984jj said:
As unlikely as I think it is at this point, they could. I don't think it would sell as well as FFIV though, much less FFIII, so this will be the last million seller for S-E on the DS.

It probably wouldn't sell a million in Japan, but I'm sure it would worldwide. I think it would probably do around the same numbers as IV, though. It's been longer since V Advance compared to the gap between the two releases of IV on Nintendo handhelds.

MikeE21286 said:
what about Final Fantasy IV...not so much?

It did about 900,000 between the US and Japan (based on last known LTDs), and I'm sure it must have sold enough in Europe to put it over a million.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Semi-off topic, but I bought the first one for cheap but only played it for like 40 minutes. I turned it off mostly because I thought the capture system and by extension the battle system was almost completely random, thus lacking any depth. Was that first impression wrong or is that a generally accepted weakness of the game?

What do you mean when you say you found the battle system random? I don't understand why you'd feel that, unless you've never played a turn-based game before.

Nils said:
Semi-off topic, but I bought the first one for cheap but only played it for like 40 minutes. I turned it off mostly because I thought the capture system and by extension the battle system was almost completely random, thus lacking any depth. Was that first impression wrong or is that a generally accepted weakness of the game?

Huh? It isn't random in the slightest. It's very easy to figure out how it works

When you try and "Capture" a monster, your party does an "attack" on the monster that fills up a meter. The higher the meter, the more likely the success is. The stronger your monsters, the more the "attack" does. And yes, tension does effect this as well.

larvi

Nils said:

It's all about the monsters, the depth comes from breeding your monsters to get higher ranked ones and better stats and skills. And then choosing what monsters to have on your team to beat the bosses. A lot of the play for me was working out a team/strategy to take on the wifi teams. Here's a decent FAQ that gives you an idea of the depth of what's involved in doing that:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/933956/52164

duckroll

It should be noted the press release also confirms it will support wireless and wifi online play, and it mentions that battles with other players are in real time. Whatever that means. The press release also notes that the game will only have a single save slot, and that while it supports 8 players multiplayer everyone will need their own cart to play, etc.

Kishgal

Banned
duckroll said:
It should be noted the press release also confirms it will support wireless and wifi online play, and it mentions that battles with other players are in real time. Whatever that means. The press release also notes that the game will only have a single save slot, and that while it supports 8 players multiplayer everyone will need their own cart to play, etc.
Jonnyram said:
1-8 players? o_O
It has real wireless battles, like Pokemon, now. In DQMJ1, all you did was upload your team, and then you'd be able to download another player's team, and you'd fight it controlled by the CPU.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
thestopsign said:
Five so far.

Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III

KH DS, FFXII RW, and FFIV. CT probably fell short, though it might have done it if not for the SE tax.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:

I heavily dislike RPG that go single save on DS.

Kishgal

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
This is my question.
I saw scans for Rooms (Wii/DS adventure game), Monster Hunter Frontier Online 360, Star Ocean 4 International, REGINLEV, Splinter Cell Conviction, Shadow Tower, Yakuza 4, God Eater, Hack//Link, and Etrian Odyssey 3. I never saw the ToC, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tank battle where addictive. Some of the best moments I've had on the DS were tank battles. I'd love wireless/wifi tank battles.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
I'm not really interested. But I agree with those saying they'd be totally down with a new Slime game.

I never really played more than an hour or two of Joker. What makes a DQM game different from a mainline DQ game?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bebpo said:
I never really played more than an hour or two of Joker. What makes a DQM game different from a mainline DQ game?
Its Pokemon*

*Yes I know about DQV but this example is more apt.

Top Bottom