• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2017

Pokemaniac

The continued absence of Smash 64 and Pokémon Puzzle League is annoying. Pretty sure those are the last two Wii VC games I need to upgrade that aren't from Sega or Square Enix.

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap – Boasting beautiful hand-drawn animations and a re-orchestrated soundtrack, the cult classic returns with a unique blend of exploration, action and adventure!

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

URBAN TRIAL FREESTYLE 2 – The sequel to the popular urban-themed stunt bike racer has launched exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. This jam-packed sequel brings a fully functioning tricked-out track editor with online sharing functionality that allows players to share their creations with friends. The game also offers twice as many levels to rampage through and a myriad of new bikes and customization options available to unlock. For people who want to try before they buy, a free demo for the game is also now available.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Also new this week:

ACA NEOGEO FATAL FURY (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch)
Breakout Defense (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Ping Pong Trick Shot 2 (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
DON’T CRASH GO (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Pic-a-Pix Color – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Pic-a-Pix Color – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Booty Diver (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
ORBIT (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
MOP: Operation Cleanup (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Zombeer (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Rayman 3 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
Rayman Advance (Virtual Console on Wii U)

BooJoh

Cardboard Robot Games is now saying "anytime by the end of spring" for Pocket Rumble. Still looking forward to it but seeing as that's a 2 month window, all I can say is at least we've got some other quality stuff coming to Switch in the meantime.

DKoops

Neo Member
Nintendo eShop (Switch)

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (DotEmu) - €19.99/£17.99
Boasting beautiful, hand-drawn animations and a re-orchestrated soundtrack, the cult classic returns with a unique blend of exploration, action, and adventure! Cursed into a half-human, half-lizard monstrosity by the Meka-Dragon, you are in search for a cure! The only way you can return to human form is to find the Salamander Cross, a magical item with the power to remove curses...

ACA NEOGEO FATAL FURY (HAMSTER) - €6.99/£6.29
"FATAL FURY" is a fighting game released by SNK in 1991. Players take part in brutal street fights in a variety of locations, with the goal of toppling the infamous crime lord Geese Howard. The game includes very unique features when compared to other fighting games available at the time, including a special Line Battle system that allows players to traverse between the foreground and background and 2-player co-op functionality.

Nintendo eShop (New 3DS)

Breakout Defense (nuGAME) - €7.00/£6.00
Breakout Defense is a breakout game where you will face off against the computer opponent through 20 exciting levels. Do your best to defend your own blocks while at the same time aiming to destroy the blocks of the computer opponent.

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition Demo (Ratalaika Games) - Free
Trouble in Antarctica! The Black Hand of Fate, an international Terrorist Group, has constructed a secret base within the heart of a Volcano, and has built a massive army of bio-engineered soldiers and genetic monsters to take over the world! You are the only one that can put a stop to their dastardly plans. You are the Blasting Agent!

Special offers
Farming Simulator 14 (Focus Home Interactive) - €7.49/£4.99 (Ends May 4, normally €29.99/£19.99)
Epic Word Search Collection (Lightwood Games) - €5.99/£4.49 (Ends May 4, normally €7.99/£5.99)
Epic Word Search Collection 2 (Lightwood Games) - €5.99/£4.49 (Ends May 4, normally €7.99/£5.99)
Splat The Difference (Lightwood Games) - €4.00/£3.60 (Ends May 18, normally €5.00/£4.50)
Dan McFox: Head Hunter (Lightwood Games) - €1.66/£1.33 (Ends May 18, normally €2.49/£1.99)
Fairune (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.99 (Ends May 11, normally €2.99/£2.99)
Petit Novel series - Harvest December (CIRCLE Ent.) - €7.99/£7.92 (Ends May 11, normally €11.99/£11.89)
Tappingo (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.99 (Ends May 11, normally €2.99/£2.99)
Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.97/£1.55 (Ends May 18, normally €2.99/£2.36)
Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.49/£1.34 (Ends May 18, normally €2.99/£2.69)
Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition (Ratalaika Games) - €2.39/£2.15 (Ends April 27, normally €2.99/£2.69)

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

ORBIT (RCMADIAX) - €1.95/£1.39
In ORBIT you must guard your base by erecting a barrier to keep enemy ships out, at the right moment, scoring points along the way. Endless fun for everyone!

Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition Demo (Ratalaika Games) - Free
Trouble in Antarctica! The Black Hand of Fate, an international Terrorist Group, has constructed a secret base within the heart of a Volcano, and has built a massive army of bio-engineered soldiers and genetic monsters to take over the world! You are the only one that can put a stop to their dastardly plans. You are the Blasting Agent!

Special offers
Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition (Ratalaika Games) - €2.39/£2.15 (Ends April 27, normally €2.99/£2.69)
Shadow Puppeteer (Show Cannon) - €10.49/£9.44 (Ends April 24, normally €14.99/£13.49)
360 Breakout (nuGAME) - €4.90/£4.20 (Ends May 18, normally €7.00/£6.00)
Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte) - €8.49/£6.99 (Ends May 18, normally €16.99/£13.99)
Trine Enchanted Edition (Frozenbyte) - €6.49/£5.49 (Ends May 18, normally €12.99/£10.99)
Citadale (Nitrolic Games) - €2.50/£2.24 (Ends May 18, normally €5.00/£4.49)
Mortar Melon (Nitrolic Games) - €2.50/£2.24 (Ends May 18, normally €5.00/£4.49)
Plenty of Fishies (Nitrolic Games) - €2.50/£2.24 (Ends May 18, normally €5.00/£4.49)
Rorrim (Nitrolic Games) - €2.50/£2.24 (Ends May 18, normally €5.00/£4.49)
Gravity+ (Nitrolic Games) - €3.24/£2.94 (Ends May 18, normally €6.49/£5.89)
Candy Hoarder (Nitrolic Games) - €0.74/£0.69 (Ends May 18, normally €1.49/£1.39)
A.C.E. - Alien Cleanup Elite (Nitrolic Games) - €2.50/£2.24 (Ends May 18, normally €5.00/£4.49)
Star Splash: Shattered Star (Snails Animation) - €2.61/£2.24 (Ends May 3, normally €3.49/£2.99)
Kung Fu FIGHT! (Nostatic Software) - €1.49/£1.11 (Ends May 27, normally €1.99/£1.49)

Morts

What the shit? Rayman GBA games? That's awesome.

I mean I wish they were on Switch or even N3DS, but I'm totally getting those anyway.

maxcriden

What the shit? Rayman GBA games? That's awesome.

I mean I wish they were on Switch or even N3DS, but I'm totally getting those anyway.

Rayman 3 is awesome. Have you played it? Full, great quality 2D Rayman adventure right there. The only one besides the original and the GBC demake.

Morts

Rayman 3 is awesome. Have you played it? Full, great quality 2D Rayman adventure right there. The only one besides the original and the GBC demake.

Nope, only had the GBA version of original Rayman. I'm excited to try 3. Can't believe I'm going to use my Wii U tonight.

maxcriden

Nope, only had the GBA version of original Rayman. I'm excited to try 3. Can't believe I'm going to use my Wii U tonight.

Hope you dig it. It's not the GOAT quality of Rayman 1, since that is a very high bar, but it's still great. I still need to 100% it. I think I beat it though and I really liked the diverse and creative levels and trademark Rayman movement and game feel. My wife (a Rayman superfan who has 100%'d the PSX game, which is quite a feat and much more than I have accomplished in that game) definitely 100%'d it though and very much enjoyed her time with it.

Refyref

Nope. There's also the GBA version of Raving Rabbids.

Quoting my post about the GBA Rayman games from another thread:

Rayman 3 GBA is a good game. It's a 2D version of Rayman 3, and is pretty fleshed out. I recommend trying it. Rayman Advance is a poor port of the original Rayman game. It did rebalance the difficulty, making the game easier to enjoy, but all the other issues can make it hard to stomach. If you want to play a proper version of Rayman 1 with the rebalanced difficulty, play the DSi version. Otherwise, play the Jaguar or PS1 versions (The PC version's music playback is messed up, avoid if possible).

If we're already talking about GBA Rayman, there's two more games, and they are also worth checking out. Hoodlums' Revenge was an isometric-ish sequel to Rayman 3, it played somewhat like the GBA Spyro games. Rayman Raving Rabbids GBA was a 2D platformer (GBA version is a straightforward platformer, unlike the console versions, which were party games, or the DS version, which was a 2.5D platformer with emphasis on a costume gimmick ). Also, it's pretty much the only Rayman game to bring back a handful of elements from the original game that disappeared in all later games (Although a few showed up in the latest games too).

maxcriden

Nope. There's also the GBA version of Raving Rabbids.

Quoting my post about the GBA Rayman games from another thread:

Oh! That's right. Thank you, Refyref, and I am glad to be corrected. I only learned about the isometric game a few days ago, oddly enough. Would you recommend it? It seems fairly cheap to purchase. And, I had heard good things about the GBA version of the 2D Raving Rabbids game. I am curious to see what additional features from the original game it brings back. Are both versions of this game worthwhile?

As a side note, funnily enough, the GBA Rayman 3 cart we have is a bizarre dual cart also containing a second, less-lauded game:
2919133-disney%27s+winnie+the+pooh%27s+rumbly+tumbly+adventure+rayman+3.jpg

Mm, and speaking of which, have you played the 3DS Rabbids 2D game? I think I got it at a significant discount last year or the year before but haven't played it yet.

Refyref

Oh! That's right. Thank you, Refyref, and I am glad to be corrected. I only learned about the isometric game a few days ago, oddly enough. Would you recommend it? It seems fairly cheap to purchase. And, I had heard good things about the GBA version of the 2D Raving Rabbids game. I am curious to see what additional features from the original game it brings back. Are both versions of this game worthwhile?

As a side note, funnily enough, the GBA Rayman 3 cart we have is a bizarre dual cart also containing a second, less-lauded game:

Mm, and speaking of which, have you played the 3DS Rabbids 2D game? I think I got it at a significant discount last year or the year before but haven't played it yet.

I remember enjoying Revenge (the isometric game), but it's been so long I don't remember if it was actually good, lol. Give it a try, at least.

I'm guessing by "Are both versions of this game worthwhile?" You mean the GBA and DS versions of Raving Rabbids? The GBA one is good, but I found the DS one to be rather lacking. The two are nothing alike, and I wouldn't recommend the DS games unless you're incredibly curious.

I haven't played the 2D 3DS Rabbids game. Maybe I'll get to it at some point, although I've heard it's not nearly as good as Rabbids Go Home was.

maxcriden

I remember enjoying Revenge (the isometric game), but it's been so long I don't remember if it was actually good, lol. Give it a try, at least.

I'm guessing by "Are both versions of this game worthwhile?" You mean the GBA and DS versions of Raving Rabbids? The GBA one is good, but I found the DS one to be rather lacking. The two are nothing alike, and I wouldn't recommend the DS games unless you're incredibly curious.

I haven't played the 2D 3DS Rabbids game. Maybe I'll get to it at some point, although I've heard it's not nearly as good as Rabbids Go Home was.

Thanks for your reply. I would like to try Revenge. I have a big soft spot for isometric platformers. I played some of at least one of the Spyro GBA games and also parts of B-K GBA and the Crash games had those isometric ball sections. Have you played Spot Goes to Hollywood? For PSX, that is. That is my all-time fave isometric platformer.

I did mean the GBA and DS versions of Raving Rabbids - I'll check out the GBA ones, thanks for your impressions. I'll let you know if the 2D 3DS Rabbids game is worthwhile when I get to it (probably not for quite some time honestly, not high on my backlog) but I haven't played RGH - I do have that one, though, and want to play it - it's a 3D platformer sort of, right? Or, 3D adventure game?

Refyref

Thanks for your reply. I would like to try Revenge. I have a big soft spot for isometric platformers. I played some of at least one of the Spyro GBA games and also parts of B-K GBA and the Crash games had those isometric ball sections. Have you played Spot Goes to Hollywood? For PSX, that is. That is my all-time fave isometric platformer.

Never played that, I'll keep an eye on it. I am very fond of the GBA Spyro games, though.

I did mean the GBA and DS versions of Raving Rabbids - I'll check out the GBA ones, thanks for your impressions. I'll let you know if the 2D 3DS Rabbids game is worthwhile when I get to it (probably not for quite some time honestly, not high on my backlog) but I haven't played RGH - I do have that one, though, and want to play it - it's a 3D platformer sort of, right? Or, 3D adventure game?

Yes, it's a 3D platformer. It has some collect-a-thon elements, but it's mostly divided into rather linear stages and it's very fast paced. Not really like the 3D Rayman games, but fun by its own right.

maxcriden

Never played that, I'll keep an eye on it. I am very fond of the GBA Spyro games, though.

Yes, it's a 3D platformer. It has some collect-a-thon elements, but it's mostly divided into rather linear stages and it's very fast paced. Not really like the 3D Rayman games, but fun by its own right.

It sounds like fun. I'd like to check it out, thanks for the recommendation. I want to give the Spyro games a more detailed look, not only the GBA ones but also the PSX/PS2 ones. I know the PS2 games aren't made by the original developer either, but some are were solidly well-received from what I saw.

As to Spot Goes to Hollywood, it is one of my favorite games and generally very low priced (plus there are no good FAQs online and I could use some help finding some of the game's secrets), so I can't turn down this opportunity to extoll its virtues.

I'm going to quote a couple posts I have previously written about the game. The HG101 article I link to gives a good bit of info about the game. It is really something special and it seems supremely under-appreciated amongst PSX and platformer fans.

Spot Goes to Hollywood for PSX is an incredible and very difficult isometric platformer.

sgthpscovera.jpg

spot-hollywood-ps1-1.png

spot-hollywood-ps1-2.png

spot-hollywood-ps1-5.png

It holds up really excellent, too. We just played it for the first time last year.

Read more here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/spot/spot2.htm

(Keep in mind each version is different though. It's the PSX one I'm referring to above.)

[Spot] is not a 2D platformer as it is isometric, but it has the spirit of the a 2D platformer nonetheless. The game I am talking about is a the wonderful, brilliant, challenging and compelling Spot Goes to Hollywood. Also, if you play that maybe we can help each other 100% the game because nobody on the Internet seems to have found a couple of the collectible stars and at least one of the secret exists. Just sayin'. 😉 Anyway, it's a superb game and I hope you get to play it. It's pretty cheap online, too!

(BTW, for anyone who played the Sega version, that one is a completely different game.)

Does anyone know who takes care of the SNES Virtual Console emulation on 3DS? Like I know NERD does DS on Wii U and M2 does GBA on Wii U, but I can't find that info.

Fiendcode

Pretty much. Who knows if we'd gotten 1:1 rasters if they had released subpar SNES emulation for all?
Pixel perfect 1:1 is simpler to do than scaling and filtering. The thing with SPD/EPD on 3DS and Wii U is that they did more work to offer a worse "authentic" experience. If all that imaging work had simply been made into user selectable options the releases would've been fine. n3DS SNES at least means they're learning which bodes well for Switch VC.

PtM

Banned
Pixel perfect 1:1 is simpler to do than scaling and filtering. The thing with SPD/EPD on 3DS and Wii U is that they did more work to offer a worse "authentic" experience. If all that imaging work had simply been made into user selectable options the releases would've been fine. n3DS SNES at least means they're learning which bodes well for Switch VC.
Yet 3DNES has no pixel perfect, is my point.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
An update to Soldam on the JPN eShop added multiple languages, so it's probably going to show up in North America/Europe sooner than later.

It's an interesting puzzle game, if a bit expensive for being relatively barebones.

Camjo-Z

An update to Soldam on the JPN eShop added multiple languages, so it's probably going to show up in North America/Europe sooner than later.

It's an interesting puzzle game, if a bit expensive for being relatively barebones.

Nice. I'd probably get it off the JP eShop now instead of waiting for the NA release if Puyo Tetris and MK8 weren't just days away.

PtM

Banned
You mean the NES VC on 3DS? That has nothing to do with it being on 3DS or not really.
What I've been trying to say is that for some reason they thought about how to up the ante for SNES VC.

Having read again through the thread, I didn't mean to imply that 1:1 needed the extra brawn, sorry about that.

How do you think DS games that require microphone functions will work non Switch VC...?

- the D-Pad equipped VC Joy-Cons will have a mic?
- there will be an 'activate microphone' button in the options screen?
- games that rely on the mic just won't be released on VC this time?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How many Wii U DS games used the microphone aside from Brain Age? I would assume the few that do don't require specific words, just blowing to uncover dust or something, which could easily be mapped to a button.

TheMoon

How many Wii U DS games used the microphone aside from Brain Age? I would assume the few that do don't require specific words, just blowing to uncover dust or something, which could easily be mapped to a button.

well there's that little game called The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks ... :D

Yes Kamiko comes on this week in US according to eShop.

Been kinda doing nothing with Switch after Zelda but will gladly buy that for $5. :D

Now where is my Pocket Fighter and Ultimate Chicken Horse! :mad:

I didn't delve too deeply into the horror show that was Wii U Virtual Console so I'm not sure, my only DS games are a couple of Fire Emblems.
Mapping mic to a button is a great guess though! Customised controls are a given (right...?) and we have the extra buttons, makes me wonder is 'close lid' will be mapped to a button too for stuff like Cing's games...

BooJoh

I didn't delve too deeply into the horror show that was Wii U Virtual Console so I'm not sure, my only DS games are a couple of Fire Emblems.
Mapping mic to a button is a great guess though! Customised controls are a given (right...?) and we have the extra buttons, makes me wonder is 'close lid' will be mapped to a button too for stuff like Cing's games...

Didn't Phantom Hourglass have a "close lid" puzzle? How was that handled on Wii U?

I'm still kind of baffled that Switch has neither a mic or camera. Perhaps things we might see on a JoyCon+?

donny2112

Blowing can not be easily mapped to a button if the strength of the blow has to be measured. At least not without completely undermining the point of the blowing to begin with. Thinking of Wario Ware Touched type games here.

Trace memory had a "close lid" puzzle, I think. Not sure if Phantom Hourglass did. Think there's a button combination to activate any closed console things with it, though. Same as on 2DS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, WarioWare wouldn't work since it needed to distinguish between a strong or soft blow. Same for Brain Age & needing to recognize speech.

tolkir

Yes Kamiko comes on this week in US according to eShop.

Been kinda doing nothing with Switch after Zelda but will gladly buy that for $5. :D

Now where is my Pocket Fighter and Ultimate Chicken Horse! :mad:

Last news of Pocket Fighter are that it has a Spring release date. Probably end-May or June.
Ultimate Chicken Horse! will take more time, they're launching in three platforms on the same time.

TheMoon

Blowing can not be easily mapped to a button if the strength of the blow has to be measured. At least not without completely undermining the point of the blowing to begin with. Thinking of Wario Ware Touched type games here.

Trace memory had a "close lid" puzzle, I think. Not sure if Phantom Hourglass did. Think there's a button combination to activate any closed console things with it, though. Same as on 2DS.

The close lid puzzle in Phantom hourglass was infamous.

Refyref

I ... try not to think too much about Phantom Hourglass. If they ever remake it without the touch controls, I'd play through it again, though.

Phantom Hourglass' big issues are bad dungeon design and a terrible overworld. Even if you disliked the touch controls (I thought they were the best part), a remake removing them won't fix the game's problems.

tolkir

Provisional releases in Europe.

Nintendo Switch

- Kamiko (Flyhigh Works) - €4.99/£4.49
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - €59.99/£49.99
- Puyo Puyo Tetris (Sega) - €39.99/£34.99
- Overtop (Hamster Co.) - NeoGeo - €6.99/£6.29

Wii U

- Use Your Words (Smiling Buddha Games) - €14.99

New Nintendo 3DS

- Ascent of Kings (Nostatic Software) - €2.25

Experien

Kamiko, Puyo Puyo Tetris, AND Mario Kart 8 Deluxe all in one week?! That is pretty insane. $95 if you want to DL it all.

donny2112

Phantom Hourglass' big issues are bad dungeon design and a terrible overworld. Even if you disliked the touch controls (I thought they were the best part), a remake removing them won't fix the game's problems.

Tap to attack. Lead Link around with the stylus. Those are the main parts I hated, and that's most of the playing in the game. Drawing your boat route with the stylus, drawing boomerang route with the stylus. Those were good. Just hated not having direct control over Link.

zigg

Kamiko, Puyo Puyo Tetris, AND Mario Kart 8 Deluxe all in one week?! That is pretty insane. $95 if you want to DL it all.
$85 if you want to buy it physical and have GCU 😁

PPT is out for delivery today for me, looking forward to it. It's going to take a lot to get me into the idea of rebuying MK8 though

Top Bottom