• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI #211: Resistance 3 info- Glorious return of the weapon wheel!

Hoping to see some big improvements in the graphics, although R2 definitely had its moments... from the screens it looks like the ingredients are there

This sounds ridiculously good.

Weapon Wheel. . .

6f81e7n.gif

I hope the campaign is of a good length.

It doesn't sound like this will be the last one. They'd put more emphasis on it being the destruction of the Chimera, I believe.

Although it would be awesome if Capelli does get the treatment for the sick kid. . .but in the end the Chimera win and totally wipe us out. Insomniac have been bold before (Killing off of Hale).

Arnie

Can't wait to read the article, all this information sounds good.

I didn't have my PS3 right at launch so by the time I got around to playing R:FoM it was a bit behind, although I found the single player to be enjoyable(even if my hard drive did corrupt 3/4 of the way through). With Resistance 2 I actually really enjoyed the beta, although the final game did let me down a bit. I thought the single player for 2 was poorly paced and designs, with the bosses in particular letting me down. The reveal trailer for 3 got me hyped up though, and I'm glad they're bringing the weapon wheel back.

Come on JSteve, get us some sweet gameplay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Surprised that theres no R2 CoOp, but i guess that they dont want to 'overscope' the game again.

I would make a whole new game based on R2 CoOp

Fersis said:
I would make a whole new game based on R2 CoOp
I hope they do this too. Throw it on PSN for $15 and I would buy it. R2 Co-op was spectacular.

That aside, R3 is sounding great... can't wait to see some footage.

No alternate story online co-op? What the hell, that was by far the best aspect of Resistance 2. :( I was hyped for Resistance 3 just to see what they've done to the online co-op. :(

Loudninja

DMeisterJ said:
No Resistance 2-like co-op? I'm sad... it's the thing I liked most from R2... but I won't die without it.
Its ok dude I guess they had to make sacrifices to make the game more focus this time.With R2 they try to do a million things some which didn't get the support it needed.The single player should be much better, the competitive modes sounds like it will receive a major overhaul and we will still have the single player co-op with upgradable weapons.

Carl

Yay for weapon wheel.

Boo for no separate co-op mode that isn't main story.

Also, i hope the online is more like R1 and less like R2.

onken

All sounding good so far, mark me down as cautiously optimistic. Move support would be a nice addition too.

I hope the Chimera take more damage in R3. R1 they were bullet sponges. . R2 they fell like flies. Somewhere in between would be nice.

I'm loving the sound of the improved AI. I hope they have AI patterns that are 'un-human'. That would make them much harder to predict or flank.

Loudninja

So does that mean we go to Africa since one of the maps is a African Prison?

From jstevenson
This is all about focus, and ensuring that everything in the game is the absolute best it can be. Really tough call, but it's what's best for the campaign and competitive. Moving co-op back to the campaign allows us to focus on campaign even more.

And as an added side-bonus, all of the RFOM fans who sent us e-mails about dropping campaign co-op in R2 will be very very happy

I really think this is for the best.

Lince

Banned
For f* sake !!! R2 co-op mode was incredibly addictive and well done !!! whose fool's idea was to remove that feature from R3???? R3 may have a better SP campaign with self-shadowing, ambient occlusion and bump-mapped fish and chips, but how many times are you playing through that? 3-4 times at most, on the other hand I spent around 300 hours playing R2 coop with a lot of cool friends and was really expecting R3 to have something built upon that fantastic concept... now it seems they just scrapped it for whatever wrong reason, seriously what is this s* ?

I'm not buying R3, devs please stop reading/listening to GAF and stick to your vision.

Lince said:
For f* sake !!! R2 co-op mode was incredibly addictive and well done !!! whose fool's idea was to remove that feature from R3???? R3 may have a better SP campaign with self-shadowing, ambient occlusion and bump-mapped fish and chips, but how many times are you playing through that? 3-4 times at most, on the other hand I spent around 300 hours playing R2 coop with a lot of cool friends and was really expecting R3 to have something built upon that fantastic concept... now it seems they just scrapped it for whatever wrong reason, seriously what is this s* ?

I'm not buying R3, devs please stop reading/listening to GAF and stick to your vision.
How do you know it won't have any replay value?

Besides, not sticking to their vision was how things went off the rails in the first place. This is a correction.

Loudninja

Lince said:

Focusing on so many modes is exactly what made the game good but not great.The single player suffer the most and that what really pissed a lot of people off.Now we have a focus single player with co-op that you can play online with another person and a more focus competitive that alot of people enjoyed in R1.So they going back to why alot of people love R1, even though I found R2 just as good.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Lince said:

2r4ndc2.jpg

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
WAIT..WAIT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

HOW THE HELL CAN THEY REMOVE 8 PLAYER CO-OP FROM R3? 8 PLAYER CO-OP SAVED R2 LIFE BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE WAS DULL! I PLAYED THE CO-OP ALL THE TIME NOW THEY ARE GOING TO SCRAP IT!!! WOWWWW!

Why can't they have regular campaign online co-op and add the 8-player side co-op? Why start a foundation your not going to build upon?

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!

deejay8595 said:
WAIT..WAIT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

HOW THE HELL CAN THEY REMOVE 8 PLAYER CO-OP FROM R3? 8 PLAYER CO-OP SAVED R2 LIFE BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE WAS DULL! I PLAYED THE CO-OP ALL THE TIME NOW THEY ARE GOING TO SCRAP IT!!! WOWWWW!

Why can't they have regular campaign online co-op and add the 8-player side co-op? Why start a foundation your not going to build upon?

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!

They probably spread themselves too thin in R2. The campaign and Online probably suffered.

Really disapointed by the lack of proper coop mode. If anything, they should have scraped the single player campaign :lol But maybe the coop and the unlockables will make the SP campaign much more repayable this time.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of a weapon wheel in MP, feels to clunky to me, and it's another disadvantage for the noobs. It's great for the SP though. I like the new weapon that makes the target explode and make it attack its friends, I wonder how they'll implement it in the MP :D

Loudninja

I hope we get a Constructo gun!The new weapon sounds brutal now that's what I love about Insomniac games hopefully we have at least 4 new weapons.

RockmanWhore said:
Really disapointed by the lack of proper coop mode. If anything, they should have scraped the single player campaign :lol But maybe the coop and the unlockables will make the SP campaign much more repayable this time.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of a weapon wheel in MP, feels to clunky to me, and it's another disadvantage for the noobs. It's great for the SP though. I like the new weapon that makes the target explode and make it attack its friends, I wonder how they'll implement it in the MP :D
Not all weapons from the series make it into the multiplayer, so it might not be there, or if it is it may be very different from the SP version.

Geoff9920

Wow, definitely have mixed responses to all this. On one hand it's awesome that the Weapon Wheel is back. :D The single player in R2 just fealt really odd without it and there were times when I'd go into an encounter and it fealt like I was clearly not playing with the weapons the designers intended. As far as competitive goes, it doesn't make a difference to me, both ways have their pros/cons.

Then there's the missing R2 style coop... Easily the best and most innovative part of R2. Very dissappointed that this won't be included. Hell, I'd buy an insomniac game strictly focused on this style of FPS game.

Cornbread78

jstevenson said:
only 2-player. Just FYI.

$hit, no more 8 player online co-opp? My wife will be dissappointed. Damn Jstev. now you have to call my wife and kids and explain why they cannot play this online anymore.

(Good luck with that one....)
:lol

No matter how good the singleplayer campaign is, you won't play through it more than a few times. 8 man coop was all about re-playability. I understand the need for a more focused development process, but I would be much, much more interested in the game if it had an expanded co-op mode. Even if it meant a 2012 release.

Standalone online game or DLC is a possibility, but that pushes the entire package into another price segment.

Glad to hear that this is returning to R:FoM in many ways, though I will add my voice to the crowd that is sad to learn R2's co-op will not be returning. Hopefully we will get something similar somehow. I personally am not interested in 2 player co-op, but can appreciate that a lot of other people are. I just really liked the co-op fps mmo type game play (before it became a redundant grind).

As for R3; I hope that the art team realizes how much more awesome was the alien architecture in the first game compared to the second. Also, change up the Auger so that it is more like R:FoM (similar shield anyway) and that the enemy A.I is smart enough to move when you use the Auger to shoot them through walls. Please ditch the berserks and the wraith as well (and bring back the reapers, arc charger, hailstorm and sapper)

I am really excited about levelling up the weapons. That was always one of my favourite parts in the R&C series.

Cautiously optimistic, but I expect that, despite my disappointment with R2, I will follow this games progress with baited breath. Damn you IG and the hold you have on my heart.

Edit: Also, hell yeah the widowmaker makes a return. Please represent a return to epic and tense on foot non-scripted battles.

DMeisterJ

Banned
badcrumble said:
Insomniac is, in fact, releasing a standalone online co-op game with equally heavy RPG elements.

Sauce?

I mean, it would make sense given the framework for that was already pretty good... Flesh out the story a bit, and have more maps and less repeating scenarios, and it'd truly be an amazing experience.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, removal of 8 man co-op is a BIG disappointment. It was addicting. I loved it and the best part of R2 in my opinion. Hell, I would take the 8 man co-op over the 2 man co-op, thats how fun it was.

Really sad to hear it was taken out.

witness

Son of a bitch the online 8 player co op is gone!? That was the best part of R2, it was super addicting, always different and fun, and had just so much replay ability. I was really excited to see what they were going to do with it now. Super disappointing.....

JB1981

Lince said:

Bububu bumpmapped fish and chips, dude.

Game development at Insomniac seems rather schizophrenic, always chasing popular trends, never sticking to their guns.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yoboman said:
Seems like they are doing a lot to entice players of R1 back, but what's there for people who weren't exactly big on either?

I think given the amount of time, focus, and love given to what is in here, anyone playing it will be getting an incredibly dedicated package. Also - just because some things have changed, and other things have been brought back, certainly doesn't mean there isn't anything new.

Lince said:

Based on some of the responses in this thread, this obviously wasn't a "listen to GAF" desicion. It was really about focus so we could make the best game possible. That said, don't think we didn't take some learnings and elements from R2's co-op. We will address this further with the team in the first podcast we do in a few weeks though so you can hear that discussion.

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm surprised people haven't seen that a ton of the RPG co-op elements have made their way into the story.

That said, I support this move completely. While I understand people want their 8p co-op, for all of it's strengths, it didn't do a whole lot to win over masses of people. Folks to this very day still whine about polish across the entirety of the game, and if sacrificing things like this will bring the overall quality of the title up, then I am all for it.

JB1981 said:

Game development at Insomniac seems rather schizophrenic, always chasing popular trends, never sticking to their guns.

Except they are sticking to their guns.

Clearly people enjoyed 8 player co-op, and if they were "chasing popular trends" then they would have stuck with the 8 player co-op, instead they are making a touch choice for the betterment of the game.

Hell, I'd argue that all of this "return to form" is very much sticking to their guns. In R2 they did a lot of "trend chasing" and it didn't work, so they're going back and maintaining what they know they want to make, as opposed to chasing what's "hot".

Loudninja

JB1981 said:

But they are, your post makes no sense.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JB1981 said:

Thats exactly what theyre doing, instead of spreading too thin theyre making SP and MP the best thay can make.

R2 CoOp was my favorite game mode, it will be missed though.

Dear Insomniac,

Please ignore all the pointless bickering about the removal of a mediocre feature from a previous title. They will all get over it and buy the game anyways, because that's what ALWAYS happens. You guys are making all the right decisions so far with R3, don't let the "fans" ruin it please. They already destroyed Cole McGrath, let's not let them fuck up R3.

kthankxbye

Sounds good, I loved R1 and R2 and i'm a little sad about the R2 Co-op gone, but I can live without it in the sequel. This was a day one purchase for me anyways... ^^
I wonder if they mean by "focusing" the game more in Multiplayer (i.e. no clustered 60 player Deathmatches), they mean just reducing the player number or splitting them up better (like MAG).

Anyways, keep up the good work and give us an awesome Gameplay trailer soon :D

edit: And I'm happy it's a direct sequel and no prequel.

There was so much complaining about R2 it sounds like they went back to alot of the elements from R1. I for one could not complain about R2 much, being that i put in well over 50 hours into that game. Only thing that bothered me were the graphics at times.

So i hope all the haters are happy a seperate co-op type game is out now. But im sure insomniac has some other stuff they havent even shown yet.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
There was so much complaining about R2 it sounds like they went back to alot of the elements from R1. I for one could not complain about R2 much, being that i put in well over 50 hours into that game. Only thing that bothered me were the graphics at times.

So i hope all the haters are happy a seperate co-op type game is out now. But im sure insomniac has some other stuff they havent even shown yet.
The campaign's already in a playable state and we're still like a year away from release. And it's Insomniac.

You bet your ass there's stuff we haven't heard a peep about yet.

Loudninja

DevilWillcry said:
Dear Insomniac,

Please ignore all the pointless bickering about the removal of a mediocre feature from a previous title. They will all get over it and buy the game anyways, because that's what ALWAYS happens. You guys are making all the right decisions so far with R3, don't let the "fans" ruin it please. They already destroyed Cole McGrath, let's not let them fuck up R3.

kthankxbye

I am sick of people trying to speak for anyone else its really annoying.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TrAcEr_x90 said:

Now just to be clear, we certainly haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater. There are tons of great things we've carried from R2 into R3. Kind of hard to explain here, but as we show more, I think you'll see that this is really the best from both.

Cornbread78

jstevenson said:
Now just to be clear, we certainly haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater. There are tons of great things we've carried from R2 into R3. Kind of hard to explain here, but as we show more, I think you'll see that this is really the best from both.

So you took my advice and took the best from R1 and the best from R2 and are going to make a positively kick a$$ R3... Sweet. I was right all along..

Now,
I still expect you to use your PR greatness and explain to my wife why you removed the only game feature she would ever play...

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
Oh yes, will the second character have any special weapons or abilities?

Top Bottom