• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

BibiMaghoo

This is some new age shit for consoles

and standard for every PC gamer since forever

Awesome. This makes remote play much less problematic.

Pretty cool feature, though I wouldn't ever use it unless it was able to set per game profiles or something. Then I'd totally use it.

Rymuth

Frankly, I wouldn't know how to utilize this feature effectively but good for those who are happy with it, haha. :D

jaypah

LOL! I knew there would be one... What's the issue you have with this?

Might be the type of person that wouldn't use this. Hell, I probably won't either. But people have posted good reasons for the feature in this very thread so I'm glad that they're doing it. Besides, you really should just be able to do it if you want.

Fitts

This would've been amazing for the Bloodborne alpha. I kept healing myself by accident instead of power stancing.

bobeth

That's just fantastic! Always good to have more options, since some developers usually only give us a few mapping presets, if any..

Current features of fw2.50 present in changelog:

• The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications. You can adjust this setting in [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Rest Mode].
  • [Accessibility] has been added to [Settings]. You can adjust accessibility settings such as zooming and button assignments.
  • Delete trophies with zero percent.
  • Search trophy details on the internet, including screenshots of scenes with trophies.
  • SharePlay at 60 frames per second.
  • Share trophy details and screenshots.

Vita RP cannot access beta 2.50 ps4 consoles, so probably RP will get 60fps support also after new vita firmware.

With SharePlay getting 60FPS capability and remote play obviously getting 60FPS capability at some point (unless Sony unceremoniously kills it by not updating Vita) I hope the videos recording on Share/streamed on Twitch/U-Stream also get 60FPS capability.

Eusis

Most PC games don't let you remap controller buttons either, only if you're on keyboard.

Many xinput [xbox 360 controller] games on PC sadly have totally fixed control schemes.
I think there tend to be crude workarounds (or at least there are for when you're using something like the DS3/DS4 instead of a native Xinput controller) and this would be similar to that: game still shows the same buttons pending future support for games to recognize this, and you're using whatever you want on your controller.

Pretty cool. Now it just needs some way to have per-game mappings that load up whenever you enter a specific game.

Presets. Set up one per game that is automatically activated when the game is started. Be similar to applications on Windows and OS X but without the faff of having to activate them individually.

Elixist

very frickin cool. hopefully all the consoles follow suit, just a handy feature when games have a shitty default scheme or tons of other reasons/preferences.

Eusis

what horrible games did that?
Bethesda games, primarily.

They tend to be better about button remapping though so you wouldn't need this as a solution as you may for anyone else doing this crap.
people asking for custom remaps need to remember that this was originally designed for users that need accessibility options.
The more people benefited the better really.

lupinko

O and X remapping now?

For reals!?

RLwbiXn.png

Floody

Hopefully we can make are own presets for certain games, but either-way great feature, especially for disabled gamers.

jmga

What will happen with button layouts? Will the icons change to your custom map? If not it can be very confusing in many games.

GeoramA

Playing multiple games at once is going to be so much easier, especially if they're the same genre. This is an awesome feature!!!

DieH@rd

Banned
i8aEmbb.jpg

Miller needs to start harassing us with cryptic messages via codec that we need to remap buttons to defeat this little fucker. :D TORASHIRO!!!!! Get Kojima on the line and get it done! :D

Hopefully Sony requires that they do to pass certification.

Some games have stylized [non standard] button prompts, but who knows maybe the calls to show them on screens are done via some OS API. If that is the case, even stylized button images will switch accordingly to the new OS button mapping.

LiK

Bethesda games, primarily.

They tend to be better about button remapping though so you wouldn't need this as a solution as you may for anyone else doing this crap.

really? it's been so long i don't even remember.

Whatever the reason for it, it's something that's been sorely needed for a long time now. What are you getting at, anyway?

I saying Sony might have simply stumbled into a great feature. now that they know we love the idea give them time to come out with pre-sets.

jediyoshi

What will happen with button layouts? Will the icons change to your custom map? If not it can be very confusing in many games.

Probably nothing, you'll just have to be aware of it seeing as you'll be the one setting it up yourself.

Top Bottom