• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

RagnarokX

Though he's easy to find because he you can see him through walls if you're looking in his direction.

Also it's not that hard to switch weapons, I do it really quickly but I guess it's because I've used this control scheme since TM2.

If he gets on the highway you can probably just snipe him with Talon.

I just want to see Diablo Pass. It's like the map we've seen the least of.

Helscream

Banned
Wow these people really suck, reminds me of that IGN stream.

What I don't understand is even though I started off having difficulty grasping the controls. After about an hour of investment I was doing really well. People I think are just so accustomed to the "normal" car racing controls when they fail to realize this is not a racing game.

If you keep banging your head against the wall trying to hit X to accelerate you will eventually become unconscious. The Classic control scheme is fluid and smooth if you take the time to understand it.

Are people so terrified of trail and error? I understand if Twisted Metal doesn't do a great job of explaining the controls. That is a legitimate complaint. But are people too scared to actually learn the controls on their own?

God those people at Gamespot are playing like they have the mental capacity of a 2 year old. This shit reminds me when you ask someone to take a photograph for you and they can't figure out what button to press to take the damn picture. Those same people act like your camera is a fucking bomb that they need to defuse in under 10 seconds.

RagnarokX

They just played Diablo Pass, but they changed it to Medium map and picked Talon and couldn't figure out how to play it.

Watching Gamespot and now Machinima fail so hard is making me suffer from second hand embarrassment. How hard is it to grasp the game before demoing it to the public?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I missed out on the demo. Would those who played it say it plays more like TM2 or TM-black?

Helscream

Banned
WOW AT THIS GUY! WOW

"Can you make your own custom soundtrack?"

"I don't think the Playstation is able to do that yet".

Are you freaking kidding me? Like what are you paid to do? Seriously?

EDIT: Damn you beat me RagnarokX. But I will keep it to express my rage.

RagnarokX

So they finally destroyed the ferris wheel, but the guy refused to acknowledge that it was the ferris wheel that had rolled down the hill. "That's a different ride!"

Now he thinks a hearse is a boat. Goes well with thinking the ambulance can only be the ghostbusters car.

Sigh. The dancers thing is stupid. Who cares about showing the gameplay, anyway?

Helscream

Banned
So they finally destroyed the ferris wheel, but the guy refused to acknowledge that it was the ferris wheel that had rolled down the hell. "That's a different ride!"

Yea the damn thing was RIGHT FREAKING THERE! It rolled behind him, and he was like "Nah, that's different ride. It has to be." I cannot believe the unbelievable amount of suck I am witnessing here.

EDIT: LOL, everyone in the youtube stream chat is freaking out. "Wtf is this? Show use the damn game!"

Wow these people really suck, reminds me of that IGN stream.

What I don't understand is even though I started off having difficulty grasping the controls. After about an hour of investment I was doing really well. People I think are just so accustomed to the "normal" car racing controls when they fail to realize this is not a racing game.

If you keep banging your head against the wall trying to hit X to accelerate you will eventually become unconscious. The Classic control scheme is fluid and smooth if you take the time to understand it.

Are people so terrified of trail and error? I understand if Twisted Metal doesn't do a great job of explaining the controls. That is a legitimate complaint. But are people too scared to actually learn the controls on their own?

God those people at Gamespot are playing like they have the mental capacity of a 2 year old. This shit reminds me when you ask someone to take a photograph for you and they can't figure out what button to press to take the damn picture. Those same people act like your camera is a fucking bomb that they need to defuse in under 10 seconds.

I'm not sure what exactly you're ranting about, but personally I like the racing controls because I've played hundreds of hours of GT5 with gas on R2 and brake on L2 so it feels much more natural to me then the classic TM controls, since I haven't played a TM game since like 1998.

I'm not sure what exactly you're ranting about, but personally I like the racing controls because I've played hundreds of hours of GT5 with gas on R2 and brake on L2 so it feels much more natural to me then the classic TM controls, since I haven't played a TM game since like 1998.
It's weird though because L2 isn't brake, it's reverse. Brake is R1 and e-brake is L1. If you let go of R2 and press L2 it won't do anything until you naturally come to a stop and then you'll start reversing.

Still makes no sense to me how in a game like Twisted Metal where you really need a way to maximize button efficiency they didn't just make L2 brake AND reverse like most games and then map e-brake to L2+R2 like Warhawk and Starhawk (I know a few people from Eat, Sleep, Play including co-founder Scott Campbell worked on Warhawk). That way not only does it make the controls easier but it also frees up two buttons.

RagnarokX

Classic controls feel better to me because these "cars" don't control like cars and the classic controls feel like playing a 2D Mario game.

Tokubetsu

flamesaw.jpg

:D

Twisted Metal |OT| Flaming Chainsaw to Exellence

sarcoa

Was in a game of Hunted earlier. At some point I was the Hunted, then I somehow killed myself and I lost a point (knocking me out of first when the game ended a few seconds later). I had no idea that could happen.

ElRenoRaven

It's Metro Square. It's the only map they didn't show full screen because they kept thinking they were more interesting than the menus and load screens.

Ah. Very interesting. Diablo Pass looks really interesting. Can't wait to see LA Skyline too. Gotta have a rooftops based map lol. It just wouldn't be Twisted Metal without one. I also Can't wait to play around and explore those maps. You know there's going to be some nice easter eggs in them. There always is.

RagnarokX

I usually play Modnation Racers (love making tracks). Went back to Modnation since the demo was expired and told my friends there they should have tried Twisted Metal. One guy in the room starts saying he did try the demo and thought the graphics were terrible and it looked more like a PS2 game. WTF.

ElRenoRaven

I usually play Modnation Racers (love making tracks). Went back to Modnation since the demo was expired and told my friends there they should have tried Twisted Metal. One guy in the room starts saying he did try the demo and thought the graphics were terrible and it looked more like a PS2 game. WTF.

There is always going to be idiots who think if it's not grey and brown and realistic looking then it's graphics suck. Fuck em. Also I was reading the joystiq Jaffe article and this part really should put people's fears to rest about his future with the franchise.

Jaffe recently told Game Informer that there are no sequel or DLC plans for Twisted Metal, although that doesn't mean he's left the series for good. "You never know what the future holds, I'd love to make another Twisted down the road with these guys one day, if that opportunity presents itself." For now, though, Jaffe's focus is on building new experiences with new IPs.

BHK3

Banned

I'm getting sick of this excuse, same with the controls complaint. When was the last time you actually had to sit down and learn the controls this generation? I honestly can't answer that, so TM comes along and everyone says the controls are bad or too hard because they actually require a though process behind them. The graphics thing is just people being fucking stupid as usual, there are very few games this gen that have truly terrible graphics and even then they look nowhere near the levels of a ps2 game.

ElRenoRaven

I'm getting sick of this excuse, same with the controls complaint. When was the last time you actually had to sit down and learn the controls this generation? I honestly can't answer that, so TM comes along and everyone says the controls are bad or too hard because they actually require a though process behind them. The graphics thing is just people being fucking stupid as usual, there are very few games this gen that have truly terrible graphics and even then they look nowhere near the levels of a ps2 game.

Yup. What really gets me is that while these aren't identical to past Twisted Metal games, they're damn close. I picked up the default controls almost right away. It was almost like I had been playing this game for years after 10 mins with the controls. They're really not that hard. Some people just don't want to have to learn new controls.

Tokubetsu

Hater's gonna hate. We don't need them when Flaming Chainsaw guides us to enlightenment.

Twisted Metal |OT| don't hate the player, hate the Flaming Chainsaw

dreamfall

Haven't bought a guide in five years, just picked the Official guide up at Gamestop. The complexity of this game is insanely amazing. Hype levels reaching critical sensory overload! JAFFE WE HEART YOU!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yup. What really gets me is that while these aren't identical to past Twisted Metal games, they're damn close. I picked up the default controls almost right away. It was almost like I had been playing this game for years after 10 mins with the controls. They're really not that hard. Some people just don't want to have to learn new controls.

Twisted Metal (Race)

TomTomma said:
R2: gas
L2: reverse

L1 : Sharp turn
R1: Brake [not needed just use L1]

Square: Guns
X : Weapons
Triangle : scroll left on weapons
O : Scroll right on weapons
R3 and X : use Speical weapon

D-pad

Up : Freeze
Down : fire backwards
Left : mines
Right : Shield

and the basic

Left analog steering
Right analog aiming [on some weapons]

oh and

L1 and R1 : Jump

Twisted Metal 2 said:
D-Pad Left or Right direction/steering
D-Pad Down reverse
D-Pad Up accelerate
D-Pad use to perform advanced and combo attacks
Select + Down or Up Buttons change camera view
Select + Right Button rear view mirror
Start Button pause
L1/R1 Buttons toggle between special weapons
L2 Button fires the currently active weapon
R2 Button fires machine guns
Square Button accelerate
Triangle Button turbo
Circle Button brake
X + Square Button execute a tight turn

Cloak Right, Down, Left, Up
Freeze Blast Left, Right, Up
Rear Freeze Left, Right, Down, Left, Right, Up
Jump Up, Up, Left
Mine Right, Left, Down
Napalm Right, Left, Up
Rear Attack Left, Right, Down
Shield Up, Up, Right
Minion Attack Up, Down, Up, Up, Machine Gun

i76_keycard1.jpg

Back in my day you had to start the car before you could drive it. No sympathy for the people that are saying the controls are too complicated. But there's still a little learning curve.

I played DM as death warrant and talon, and had the car's movements down, although I never finished better than mid pack, and I sucked with the helicopter.

The images of the new maps are interesting. I'm afraid if I wait and buy this 6 months from now, everyone online will destroy me. I haven't played the series since PS1 days, so it will take a while to become competent. Game felt good but I didn't get enough time with it. I never got to play a nuke mode game. I don't see why they have a time limited demo. Unless they think the borked MP was bad publicity. But whatever they did, it started working for me, and I noticed there was a cancel option when it was connecting that wasn't there at first.

ElRenoRaven

Twisted Metal (Race)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/SapientWolf/i76_keycard1.jpg[IMG]

Back in my day you had to start the car before you could drive it. No sympathy for the people that are saying the controls are too complicated. But there's still a little learning curve.[/QUOTE]

See prime example right there. If anything they're a lot easier then they used to be. lol

Rattles

Was in a game of Hunted earlier. At some point I was the Hunted, then I somehow killed myself and I lost a point (knocking me out of first when the game ended a few seconds later). I had no idea that could happen.

You bastard! Many players online?

Still got to order mine then wait about 2 weeks for delivery :(

prwxv3

Is the Netcode good?

Top Bottom