• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
MPM-3 Bumblebee

This guy is rad. Sorry for the cluttered background!

Found MPM-4 Optimus the other day. What an insanely detailed and well-crafted figure. They can continue doing these for as long as they want, especially if they do a Blackout at some point.

Tizoc

So what do we know about the upcoming Bumblebee movie? Seeing as the Bayformer series ignores its own damn continuity and such, will Bee be speaking in the movie?

TBH I never understood how and why Bumblebee is seen as popular.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So what do we know about the upcoming Bumblebee movie? Seeing as the Bayformer series ignores its own damn continuity and such, will Bee be speaking in the movie?

TBH I never understood how and why Bumblebee is seen as popular.

From what they've said and what I gather, it's set in 1985 or 1987, while Bumblebee is still incognito on Earth, and it features a teenage girl who buys Bumblebee as a used car (supposedly in his VW bug form), and the adventures they have together. Sounds like there are very few other Transformers in it, if any. John Cena is also in it in some capacity. Given the setting it's safe to assume Bee won't be talking.

Bumblebee was the "human kid friend" character in the original series and that was basically brought over into the 2007 live action film. Younger kids love him because of the bright yellow color and friendly demeanor, so he's kind of the go-to human buddy for the franchise.

Tizoc

Anyone else seen the cover for lost light #10?
looks like we will finally see what is going on with getaway's crew

Savitar

Anyone else seen the cover for lost light #10?
looks like we will finally see what is going on with getaway's crew

Curious to hear what they have been up too but the series feels like it's treading water right now. The cross overs, returning to Cybertron, wishy washy consequences and samey characters has taken it's toll by this point.

Chuckie

Hi guys. New to the thread.

Wanted to know, is it allowed to talk about things like 'FanToys'? If so I had a question... if not...I was never here! ;)

kaiju

BBTS shipped my Siege of Cybertron set awww yeah

giphy.gif

Wanted to know, is it allowed to talk about things like 'FanToys'? If so I had a question... if not...I was never here! ;)

Sure Fan bots are pretty awesome. Just wish they weren't so darn expensive!

NEO0MJ

Filthy thief, get out of here!

Just kidding :p

yeah, no problem with that. In fact, I just posted some 3P stuff a few posts above your!

Mindwipe

Curious to hear what they have been up too but the series feels like it's treading water right now. The cross overs, returning to Cybertron, wishy washy consequences and samey characters has taken it's toll by this point.

The report from the TFNation panel indicates that the relaunch as Lost Light resulted in a lot of plotlines being moved around to make a cleaner start, which has definitely knackered up the pacing. Apparently we were supposed to have already gone back to address the mutineers a while back, and Anode was supposed to be introduced in a way that might have worked better.

Chuckie

Thanks guys.

So a while ago I wanted to buy Scoria because Slag is my favorite Transformer of the forever. But I was a bit scared by the price...so I waited and waited and waited too long.

Now it is even more expensive which was to be expected.

However it seems there is a new Slag out there. Perfect Fusion Ceasium.

Now I wondered... is this one as good as Scoria? Or Worse? Appearantly it resembles the old toy more and has less weapons. But I wondered about the quality and looks.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
PF Cesium is just as good as FT Scoria, and arguably better due to improved color choices. It's literally FT Scoria with some tweaks, as Perfect Fusion is a spinoff of FansToys. I have Scoria and will probably replace him with Cesium at some point, so I'd say buy without fear.

PF Cesium is just as good as FT Scoria, and arguably better due to improved color choices. It's literally FT Scoria with some tweaks, as Perfect Fusion is a spinoff of FansToys. I have Scoria and will probably replace him with Cesium at some point, so I'd say buy without fear.

I didnt know this.

Then whats the point? Why sell the same toy for $75 cheaper? Is it still MP scale? I love FT stuff.

Found MPM-4 Optimus the other day. What an insanely detailed and well-crafted figure. They can continue doing these for as long as they want, especially if they do a Blackout at some point.
Yeah? A lot of people on TFW2005 are shitting on MPM-4, do you think the complaints are overblown? I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I'm waiting for the Takara release.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I didnt know this.

Then whats the point? Why sell the same toy for $75 cheaper? Is it still MP scale? I love FT stuff.

It's FT Scoria with fewer (maybe no?) accessories, a fix to make its hips stronger, and a more cartoon-inspired color scheme to match the shift to cartoon accuracy FT developed since putting out Scoria. It's basically a re-release for perfectionists who didn't find Scoria up to snuff compared to the (admittedly superior) subsequent FT Dinobots.

Yeah? A lot of people on TFW2005 are shitting on MPM-4, do you think the complaints are overblown? I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I'm waiting for the Takara release.

The complaints are definitely overblown, especially since emgo figured out an admittedly fiddly way to get the truck mode to fit together properly. Even with that fix, I would still say the truck mode is fine to good at best. The RotF Leader figure's truck mode beats it for size and ease of tabbing everything together. It's the robot mode that's the star of the show, and in that regard it beats any other attempt at the character hands down.

Chuckie

Thanks! Chances are I am going to buy it.

I don't think I could do better tbh. That cloak is pretty on point.

Damn. It is Bayformer Megatron. Otherwise I would have bought it.

The complaints are definitely overblown, especially since emgo figured out an admittedly fiddly way to get the truck mode to fit together properly. Even with that fix, I would still say the truck mode is fine to good at best. The RotF Leader figure's truck mode beats it for size and ease of tabbing everything together. It's the robot mode that's the star of the show, and in that regard it beats any other attempt at the character hands down.
Awesome, thanks for sharing your impressions. Please post some pics if you have any!

Anyone else going to be getting Galaxy Meteor by Maketoys? That's currently my most anticipated figure, and the first 3rd party figure I'll be getting in years. It looks amazing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm not getting Galaxy Meteor, as I have no interest in Unicron Trilogy stuff, but as those character designs go, it's not going to get much better than Maketoys' take on it. It's always nice to see a third party company leave the safe waters of G1 and take a risk.

Chuckie

Another question: If I buy mah Dinobot, I will probably need Autobot logo stickers. Is there a place where you can buy the exact right size?

NEO0MJ

Anyone else going to be getting Galaxy Meteor by Maketoys? That's currently my most anticipated figure, and the first 3rd party figure I'll be getting in years. It looks amazing.

It doesn't look bad, but not for me. Wouldn't mind a new Vector Prime or Galvatron, though.

I'm not getting Galaxy Meteor, as I have no interest in Unicron Trilogy stuff, but as those character designs go, it's not going to get much better than Maketoys' take on it. It's always nice to see a third party company leave the safe waters of G1 and take a risk.

They're not the only ones, but it's a slow process. Still, we've come so far from the days when 3P used to make replacement Cliffjumper heads.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Another question: If I buy mah Dinobot, I will probably need Autobot logo stickers. Is there a place where you can buy the exact right size?

ToyHax (aka ReproLabels) has a wide variety of symbol labels, each sheet has a number of sizes. For the Dinobots I recommend the white-backed ones. There are also individually designed sheets for each of the FT Dinobots under "Labels for Not-TFs" but I don't know how well the colors will match up with Caesium.

Unicron Trilogy media is garbage, but some great toys/designs came out of it. Galaxy Force Starscream was one of the first figures I bought from that line, and one of my faves, stubby forearms and all. Probably because it was the closest thing to a War Within inspired toy at the time.

I'm very glad that third parties are venturing outside of G1 now. Perfect Effect just teased their Transmetal 2 Megatron so getting Beast Gorira is now a high priority.

perfectBeast.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
I wouldn't mind a TM2 Megatron that took a few liberties with the dragon mode. Hated the cleft lip and tree branch horns of the original. Also didn't have a lot of poses in beast mode that looked very good since he seemed to be designed to sit in a squatting position and not much else.

Chuckie

ToyHax (aka ReproLabels) has a wide variety of symbol labels, each sheet has a number of sizes. For the Dinobots I recommend the white-backed ones. There are also individually designed sheets for each of the FT Dinobots under "Labels for Not-TFs" but I don't know how well the colors will match up with Caesium.

White-backed? I'd assume I need silver. I still need to figure out where to even put them though. If I recall correctly the original Slag had one on his Triceratops head, one inside the mouth and a rub thingy on the side (which I will skip)

So I'd need two stickers, but with different background colors haha. Which might not match.

I have to think about this first :p

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
White-backed? I'd assume I need silver. I still need to figure out where to even put them though. If I recall correctly the original Slag had one on his Triceratops head, one inside the mouth and a rub thingy on the side (which I will skip)

So I'd need two stickers, but with different background colors haha. Which might not match.

I have to think about this first :p

The vast majority of Takara MP figures have white-backed symbols. I generally use white-backed on my third party MPs or the "clear outline" ones if the figure has the proper red or purple space for the symbol.

NEO0MJ

I'm very glad that third parties are venturing outside of G1 now. Perfect Effect just teased their Transmetal 2 Megatron so getting Beast Gorira is now a high priority.

perfectBeast.jpg

I prefer TM1 Megs but I guess this pairs better with their previous release.

In other news, it seems that TFC Poseidon is finally complete. Looks rather nice, but I don't think I'll buy it.

Well this sucks.

21015736_1710298408989022_7617434342697445953_o.jpg

We are sorry to inform that the Galaxy Meteor project has currently been cancelled due to low numbers on preroders. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused to our loyal supporters over the years.

We are currently looking at ways of making the project more successful. Please keep an eye on our facebook or with your favorite retailers for more info as it becomes available.

We are very sorry about this inconvenience.

https://www.facebook.com/Maketoys/p...149355870607/1710298408989022/?type=3&theater

Chuckie

The vast majority of Takara MP figures have white-backed symbols. I generally use white-backed on my third party MPs or the "clear outline" ones if the figure has the proper red or purple space for the symbol.

I looked at some photos and it does seem that white looks best, so I stand corrected.

Do you usually apply other stickers too? It seems a bit of a hassle to me and not sure if it actually makes the transformer look better. Did you put all the stickers on your Scoria or just logos?

I think I only want the autobot logo (assuming the even will make a complete sheet for PF-01 Cesium)

Well this sucks.

Yup. I get that Unicron stuff is more niche than others, and that the target audience is probably still too young(we're only getting into BW stuff now). But Unicron stuff needs MP styled or upgrades second to G1. The OG toys sucked.

But I don't really get why they are cancelling now. They clearly have all the molding done, and even production-ready units that reviewers got. The actual production is generally a lot less expensive than the mold creation phase.

NEO0MJ

Yup. I get that Unicron stuff is more niche than others, and that the target audience is probably still too young(we're only getting into BW stuff now). But Unicron stuff needs MP styled or upgrades second to G1. The OG toys sucked.

I think something that doesn't help this version of Starscream is how heavily WW inspired it is and there are already some of those lying about.

Frankly, I'm not surprised at all it got zero interest from people. The original Galaxy Force toy this is clearly based on is a pretty decent toy in itself, and Maketoys' version doesn't even look like a huge improvement over it.

750px-GalaxyForce_Starscream_toy.jpg

If you make Masterpiece style figures, you're already at a disadvantage by not making a G1 character. Don't further hamper yourself by remaking a toy that was already serviceable: pick an important or charismatic character that had a bad toy.

Cheerilee

But I don't really get why they are cancelling now. They clearly have all the molding done, and even production-ready units that reviewers got. The actual production is generally a lot less expensive than the mold creation phase.

I'm guessing that the molds cost money and pushed them into the red, and the small number of prototype versions for reviewers cost money and pushed them into the red, and normally this is considered okay because they expected to make their money back and then some on the regular release...

But I'm guessing they just did their final math on the regular release, and their numbers are so low that they've realized they're going to lose money by making what is essentially a second handful of prototypes. If the regular release (by itself) was capable of earning any money (even if it's not enough to pay for the molds), then they'd be fools not to take that money and try to minimize the losses.

Unless their business plan is to drive their fans crazy and then slip out a couple of "rare" prototypes on ebay for ten times markup.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I looked at some photos and it does seem that white looks best, so I stand corrected.

Do you usually apply other stickers too? It seems a bit of a hassle to me and not sure if it actually makes the transformer look better. Did you put all the stickers on your Scoria or just logos?

I think I only want the autobot logo (assuming the even will make a complete sheet for PF-01 Cesium)

I very, very rarely put any other stickers on, especially on Fanstoys stuff. The individual label sheets tend to go overboard and also focus on replicating the often nonsensical G1 toy labels. I go more for screen accuracy so usually just slapping a couple faction symbols on is good enough for me. Full sticker sets were more useful in the early third party days when stuff was underdetailed, or for the occasional Combiner Wars deluxe that just needed some help (looking at you, Wheeljack). The MPs almost never need that kind of thing.

Top Bottom