• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

see5harp

Yea I'm fairly sure this is just an adventure game. Whatever though...that's essentially what Ghost Trick was and that turned out fairly decent.

EDIT: Okay I take that back, sandboxy, stealth, third person on iOS. I beleeb in this game.

novery

Signs point to it being a scripted point and click

Pass

Most definitely not scripted point-and-click. The team is working hard to make sure the gameplay is as sandboxy as possible. Move from cover-to-cover, manipulate the world and enemies to give Hope the upper hand, move in for the attack or sneak past if you need her to conserve supplies.

SmokyDave

Most definitely not scripted point-and-click. The team is working hard to make sure the gameplay is as sandboxy as possible. Move from cover-to-cover, manipulate the world and enemies to give Hope the upper hand, move in for the attack or sneak past if you need her to conserve supplies.

Will there be mild peril?

I'm getting 'mild peril' from the (promising) screenshot in the OP.

Cool, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it.

any way can we eliminate character names like 'Hope' and 'Faith' from fictitious narratives?

Unless a villain's name is 'Hope'. That would be awesome!~! You know, like irony and stuff!!!!!!!

border

EDIT: It's iOS? It's the right business decision, but there's a weird kind of irony in making a game about hacked communications systems that circumvent controls for the closed Apple ecosystem.

Every console is a closed ecosystem. I never understand how people can object to Apple's iOS when their 360/Playstation is exactly the same thing.

Goldmund

The game follows a young developer named Despair who is released into a straightforward laissez-faire market place. Using an iPhone, you download her and ask for her help killing your time. Therefore, the game does feature killing, in a broad sense. Despair is a broad, and she will always do what ...—that is, if you pay the modest asking price. We're working with limited resources here, people, so don't expect anything but some tapping and camera switching. This is Répüblique.
Really though, sounds promising.

novery

iOS? Graphics look amazing.

Wow, thank you for saying that.

I can't remember if this is mentioned in the Kotaku article, but we're using a mix of 3D and pre-rendered backgrounds. Looks really nice in motion. The teams at Camouflaj and Logan spent many sleepless nights trying to figure this out. I owe them everything.

V_Ben

Banned
Wow, thank you for saying that.

I can't remember if this is mentioned in the Kotaku article, but we're using a mix of 3D and pre-rendered backgrounds. Looks really nice in motion. The teams at Camouflaj and Logan spent many sleepless nights trying to figure this out. I owe them everything.

If you'll pardon me asking, is this what you tweeted about motion capture for?

Jb

Cool concept. Reminds me of some PC puzzle game where you rescued a girl who was trapped by controlling the cameras. Or something.

Why République and not Republic though? Is this going to be some commentary on the french or canadian society?

Edit: Experience 112
e112pc0ft.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, no. Kojima isn't your typical Japanese dev that pays no attention to what the West is doing.

Nowadays it seems way too many Japanese devs are paying too much attention to what the west is doing, instead of going and doing their own thing. :(

border

They are going to fund this with a Kickstarter? That seems like a bad idea, considering that it's on a platform where most users think that $1 is too much to pay for a game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
By making it more playable?

By adopting the same standardized control scheme every other game in the genre uses.

A genre MGS wasn't even apart of until MGS4.

but alot of people seemed to like the 3rd person shooter genre shift so maybe it was for the best from their perspective

but I'd like to think there's a point that falls under "playable" that's waaaaaaay before just adopting control schemes from other games already familiar to the player

They are going to fund this with a Kickstarter? That seems like a bad idea, considering that it's on a platform where most users think that $1 is too much to pay for a game.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'll still back anyhow but I hope enough people out there are willing to back it substantially to get the game made. As someone else said, iOS needs more exclusives like this.

EXGN

By adopting the same standardized control scheme every other game in the genre uses.

A genre MGS wasn't even apart of until MGS4.

but alot of people seemed to like the 3rd person shooter genre shift so maybe it was for the best from their perspective

but I'd like to think there's a point that falls under "playable" that's waaaaaaay before just adopting control schemes from other games already familiar to the player

I think you're over exaggerating the similarity of MGS4 to other shooters. It still had a lot of series-standard jank (all the different lying/crouching/sneaking positions) and the shoulder button item menus. I haven't played MGS4 in a while, but the only thing I remember about it that is similar to other TPS games is the L1/R1 aim/shoot and the over-the-shoulder aiming (even that was sorta introduced in MGS3:S).

Top Bottom