• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware responds to Mass Effect 3 ending controversy

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope they don't change the ending due to the most childish and incessant bitching I've ever seen. Those are not the people you should cave to.

JerkShep

No indocrination theory Casey? Ohhh, BSN will be pissed.

Don't know if I'm gonna buy DLCs this time though, playing them between games was fine but now that the trilogy is over (and with dat endings unfortunately) I don't really care about "another adventure" of Commander Shepard, like the rumored "Omega DLC", end even if they release a "True Ending DLC" or something, after Arrival (and Witch Hunt for DAO) I'll wait and ponder my decision very carefully.

Plasma

Banned
I mean maybe they'll latch on to the outrage and use it as a platform to exploit players with DLC, but I don't believe that was their intentions from the start. Instead I believe they wrote a game, thought it was amazing, and sent it off to their fans, completely unprepared and likely baffled at the response of "this is fucking stupid".

I still honestly don't get how anyone could come to the conclusion that any of those endings were good but I think you're right about them not planning for this.

I'm guessing at least the next two or maybe three bits of DLC will just be extra missions similar to the ME2 DLC then they might end up coming back with ending DLC if this hasn't all blown over by then.

FoeHammer

What a load of shit.

I'm not usually one to boycott stuff, but I'll be damned if Bioware is sucking me in again after this fucking debacle and that steaming turd they call DA2.

Honestly, I don't want them to CHANGE the ending. I was hoping they had this planned and the actual ending was in the works; due to time constraints ect. If they are just going to listen to fans and reconstruct the ending then it wont feel cannon and the ending we got is what it is.

FoeHammer

I'm sorry this reads as nothing more than saying "go fuck yourselves" to the fans.

It really does, especially when he cites the media praise for the game. We know the game is awesome jackass, it's the ending that everybody is pissed about. Media may give them a pass on the ending but the fans who have spent that last 5 years with these games won't.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Non-answer.

But really they can do anything they want.

The Lazarus project is proof of that.

ibb2yBbi4oL1dO.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
I like unhappy endings!

Just not poorly written wishy washy bullshit.

Obvious ending spoilers below

If they killed shep in a horrific way and the rest of the ending made sense I WOULD BE HAPPY! instead of the ZOMG HE HAD ONE BREATH! bullshit

Honestly, I don't want them to CHANGE the ending. I was hoping they had this planned and the actual ending was in the works; due to time constraints ect. If they are just going to listen to fans and reconstruct the ending then it wont feel cannon and the ending we got is what it is.

delay the release then

kswiston

I haven't played ME2 (own the game) backlogged - and will get to 3 but Jeff Gershmann on twitter said that there was no ending so I'm guessing this is that. Felt okay to come in here; because at least I know that.

seriously what a joke.

There is definitely an ending. Just not a very satisfying one.

I didn't mind the ending as much as I did the fact that Mass Effect 2 was a big waste of time:
Mass Effect 2 had me collecting a brand new team of PCs (plus Garrus and Tali) to face the reaper threat. Then in ME3 we just go back to the ME1 team (Short Wrex, and plus EDI and Vega). Did we need a 35 hour game to work Cerberus into the plotline? This was a two game series that got padded out into a trilogy.

Goon Boon

Banned
This is not the last you’ll hear of Commander Shepard.

We forced them back on their word of prequels only, we've won half the battle. Good show on the people who didn't give up on bioware grifting them of actual endings.
I don't care if Shepard dies, as long as it makes sense instead of some bullshit star child ending that demands it

LuchaShaq

Banned
There is definitely an ending. Just not a very satisfying one.

I didn't mind the ending as much as I did the fact that Mass Effect 2 was a big waste of time:
Mass Effect 2 had me collecting a brand new team of PCs (plus Garrus and Tali) to face the reaper threat. Then in ME3 we just go back to the ME1 team (Short Wrex, and plus EDI and Vega). Did we need a 35 hour game to work Cerberus into the plotline? This was a two game series that got padded out into a trilogy.

The moments with certain characters in 2/3 matter more to me than the plot of 2 being kinda small and the ending in 3 being awful.

traveler

Not Wario
I apologize for reiterating the same basic points I've made in every other thread, but I'm still pretty confused over the reaction to the ending. It's definitely not good or anything, but it's more missed potential than terrible and it's pretty consistent with the rest of the series quality. Besides, the rest of 3's storyline is so much better than the other two that it seems unfair to focus on the last 4 minutes or so. Lastly, ME's story is only even decent in the world of video games. If story plays that much of a role in your evaluation of a game's quality, you're in the wrong hobby entirely. I don't know how you could possibly enjoy any game.

inky

Wow. So not only they managed to make one of the most interesting characters of the series DLC, they are also planning on selling you the real ending. Bioware's got some nerve...

I'm tired of their bullshit PR incompetent responses. Fuck them. I'd tell them directly, but I don't want to lose my games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You mean the 75% or so of those people bitching?

Just because they're vocal and numerous doesn't make them any less annoying or any less wrong. The sense of entitlement that goes with this whole thing is ridiculous. If this was a movie or TV show, no one would be demanding a change to the ending but since we live in times of DLC and patches people feel that they are owed a "proper" ending. If Bioware caves and writes an ending that completely contradicts the actual ending of the game I'll be pissed.

DTKT

You guys understand that he said nothing about ending DLC?

He literally said nothing in that entire post. Nothing at all.

The ending will be left as it is. MARK MY WORDS!

jackdoe

We always intended that the scale of the conflict and the underlying theme of sacrifice would lead to a bittersweet ending—to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way. Still, we wanted to give players the chance to experience an inspiring and uplifting ending; in a story where you face a hopeless struggle for basic survival, we see the final moments and imagery as offering victory and hope in the context of sacrifice and reflection.
Funny that there was nothing inspiring or uplifting about the ending. Just a bunch of confusion and grim darkness.

Just because they're vocal and numerous doesn't make them any less annoying or any less wrong. The sense of entitlement that goes with this whole thing is ridiculous. If this was a movie or TV show, no one would be demanding a change to the ending but since we live in times of DLC and patches people feel that they are owed a "proper" ending. If Bioware caves and writes an ending that completely contradicts the actual ending of the game I'll be pissed.
A movie or TV show doesn't let you interact with the story to generate your own protagonist and decide what he/she does. This kind of analogy just doesn't work.

bhlaab

For us and for you, Mass Effect 3 had to live up to a lot of expectations, not only for a great gaming experience, but for a resolution to the countless storylines and decisions you’ve made as a player since the journey began in 2007. So we designed Mass Effect 3 to be a series of endings to key plots and storylines, each culminating in scenes that show you the consequences of your actions. You then carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey.

Okay. So when does the whole decisions and consequences part come in? Because as far as I can tell the only decision you make in the entire trilogy that matters is which button to press at the very end and the consequence is the color green.

Funny that there was nothing inspiring or uplifting about the ending. Just a bunch of confusion and grim darkness.

UMMMM were you not paying attention to the part where an
elderly spaceman who clearly doesn't know how to act
tells you that space is magical???

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

If BioWare does not wish to be exposed to vocal criticism and/or praise of creative work then it's time for them to pack their bags and move over to a new job in a different industry. They've chosen a career of creativity, making entertainment products, and charging for them. They are, by default and nature of their chosen career and interests, deserving of feedback. That is life, and that is how these things work.

bhlaab

I don't think they should change the ending. That would be even worse. I think they should just be forced to live out their lives with the knowledge that they are garbage in their hearts.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If BioWare does not wish to be exposed to vocal criticism and/or praise of creative work then it's time for them to pack their bags and move over to a new job in a different industry. They've chosen a career of creativity, making entertainment products, and charging for them. They are, by default and nature of their chosen career and interests, deserving of feedback. That is life, and that is how these things work.

Criticism is one thing, ranting and demanding a complete change just because you didn't like something is a different matter entirely. I've only seen a few people make good points as to why they didn't like the ending. If more of the discussion around the ending was actual well reasoned criticism it wouldn't be so frustrating. Instead it's just, "I didn't like it, it's their job to change it."

DTKT

This year with ME3. 4 map packs for MP content. 2 Map Packs with new enemies(Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pack mercenaries).

No SP content.

Criticism is one thing, ranting and demanding a complete change just because you didn't like something is a different matter entirely. I've only seen a few people make a good points as to why they didn't like the ending. If more of the discussion around the ending was actual well reasoned criticism it wouldn't be so frustrating. Instead it's just, "I didn't like it, it's their job to change it."

Have you read the spoiler thread? There must have been a few hundred posts listing reasons why the ending is a disappointing piece of content.,

I apologize for reiterating the same basic points I've made in every other thread, but I'm still pretty confused over the reaction to the ending. It's definitely not good or anything, but it's more missed potential than terrible and it's pretty consistent with the rest of the series quality. Besides, the rest of 3's storyline is so much better than the other two that it seems unfair to focus on the last 4 minutes or so. Lastly, ME's story is only even decent in the world of video games. If story plays that much of a role in your evaluation of a game's quality, you're in the wrong hobby entirely. I don't know how you could possibly enjoy any game.

It's problems have been massively enlarged, but basically the 'ending as created by Hudson / lead writer' - not sure which one- could have been cut entirely and nobody would have been the wiser.

They might as well just do a patch that moves in certain cut dialogue and cuts out everything on the last few minutes. DLC is not required. This issue is inherent to the way this game "solves" the struggle / conflict between player narrative and forced narrative.
In particular considering Mass Effect's unique structure in terms of consequential player narrative, they could not have made a poorer choice in chosing forced narrative instead.

smr00

Banned
I actually enjoyed the ending.

Can't please everyone, there was no ending they could of done to please everyone.

I bought Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on day one but for whatever reason I took a wait and see approach with 3, glad I did. I can't support the direction they've taken as a company.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Criticism is one thing, ranting and demanding a complete change just because you didn't like something is a different matter entirely. I've only seen a few people make good points as to why they didn't like the ending. If more of the discussion around the ending was actual well reasoned criticism it wouldn't be so frustrating. Instead it's just, "I didn't like it, it's their job to change it."

The demands to change the ending are simply forms of criticism within themselves, regardless of how much you may or may not agree with actually changing the endings. It is the request itself that speaks volumes about how some fans feel.

BioWare can do whatever they want. It's their game. But that wont change the fact you have many people so frustrated with the ending they'd knowingly pay for a new one. As a criticism, that says quite a lot.

smr00

Banned
I bought Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on day one but for whatever reason I took a wait and see approach with 3, glad I did. I can't support the direction they've taken as a company.
I can see where you and others are coming from and respect, and even if you disagree with the ending it is still a great game and incredibly fun.

I would at least rent it or pick it up used, that way you technically aren't supporting them but still get to experience it, it's defiantly worth playing if you are a Mass Effect fan.

Damn that Casey Hudson really needs to go into politics. The guy really does have a knack of using several paragraphs to say sweet FA.

The response good ole Casey has posted is pretty much what I expected, about the only thing people can take away from this is that there are some very "worried" people over at Bioware. It is certainly not good for their rep that the Exec Producer of the game has to put out a statement a week after the game launched to defend it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It was all a dream, 12-year old boy wakes up and goes to school. DLC chronicles middle-school life, with Paragon choices to stay in library to study, or Renegade options to smoke cigarettes in the boy's bathroom.

Fuck yeah. You know what? I'd buy the DLC ending for that just to be the renegade middle-school Shepard.

Replicant

That's all?! I'm not touching the DLC with 10 foot pole unless they fixed that ending bullshit.

Stupid PR bullshit. And Penny Arcade doesn't know wtf they are talking about. Hypocrites too considering the comic they released a few months ago defending their ability to criticise something.

After investing untold hours and $60 (x3), yeah I would say I could feel some deserved entitlement considering how this ended.

However, I don't believe they should retcon the ending. I've already said the damage was done. I doubt they will pander to the fans, but who knows. I'm just saying it's well deserved ranting.

Top Bottom