• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Just saw the indoctrination theory video, pretty cool, and i certainly felt there was something strange going on post-beam-boom, would be nice if that was the fact but .... i just dont think BioWare would have done something like that.

Arf, ending should have been something incredible, this is 3 games the player has gone through, taking a character built up from the start throughout. In my opinion the ending should have been the first thing they developed and made sure they got right but blergh.

Same ol' stuff everyones been saying i guess, just my turn :p

televator

Is it not? I thought that was normal. I know it kind of contradicted the whole "all synthetics die" schtick, but I presumed it was just more of the space magic.

According to logic, no. That wasn't supposed to happen. I'm sure Bioware will use the newly acquired space magic to explain it now though...

I've come to the realization that Element Zero is totally unnecessary now. If Bioware was going to rely on magic so heavily in ME3, Why did they even bother with Mass Effect's central element all along?

rozay

Banned
Is it not? I thought that was normal. I know it kind of contradicted the whole "all synthetics die" schtick, but I presumed it was just more of the space magic.
wait so this whole time I was under the impression that EDI couldn't come out of the ship with the destroy ending

bad editing or starchild was full of shit?

spekkeh

Banned
Based on the leaked scripts, I think they dropped every single trace of indoctrination before they finished any part of the game.

"In truth, the final bits of dialogue were debated right up until the end of 2011. Martin Sheen's voice-over session for The Illusive Man, originally scheduled for August, was delayed until mid-November so the writers would have more time to finesse the ending.

"And even in November, the gameplay team was still experimenting with an end-game sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's movement and fall under full Reaper control. (This sequence was dropped because the gameplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement alongside dialogue choices)."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nding-bioware-admits-fans-needed-more-closure

I've come to the realization that Element Zero is totally unnecessary now. If Bioware was going to rely on magic so heavily in ME3, Why did they even bother with Mass Effect's central element all along?

As if Element Zero was anything else than space magic. It even gave people space magic powers.

As if Element Zero was anything else than space magic. It even gave people space magic powers.

Strictly speaking, yes, but not only is its existence explained, justified, and extensively referenced but consumers have to accept it as part of the premise of the game. Almost all the technology the player sees in the series relies on it to some extent.

Compare that to ending space magic which makes no sense and comes from nowhere. It challenges suspension of disbelief in the way Eezo does not because it was not part of the original deal, and the audience didn't accept it.

televator

Here's the difference: Element Zero is the crucial little lie that serves as the premise for everything that Mass Effect builds on. It's explained in a manner that makes it easier to accept. It also helps that IRL, we still don't know what exactly dark matter and energy are so the pseudo science jargon in ME help make it a bit more plausible or tangible as an element in a Science-Fiction story.

That's what good sci-fi does. You go into it knowing that anything in it can take creative liberty with scientific explanations, but not to the point where conclusions completely contradict each other and/or fail to logically follow from the premise that a work of science-fiction initially setup (fantasy or not). Which is exactly what we find the ending to be in egregious error of. It effectively broke it's own line of logic by completely ignoring its own premises and creating contradictory outcomes.

E.g.:

Premise - All (this is an absolute in the game) synthetics will result dead after choosing said option.

EDI is a synthetic.

Logical conclusion - EDI will die if that option is chosen.

Contrived Space magic (Does not logically follow) - j/k lol! EDI lives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Premise - EDI and the Geth have chosen peace with organics.

EDI and the Geth are synthetic.

Conclusion - Many synths have and will chose peace along side organics.

Contradicting Reaper logic - NO! Synths will always (Another absolute, but this is more absurd for a supposedly logical machine to rely on.) destroy organic life.

Some advanced organics create Synths.

Absurd and flawed conclusion - Therefore all advanced organics must be brutally killed and horrendously turned into reaper jelly food in the most horrific way possible.... Wait, Shepard made it to the catalyst? Ummm... J/K lol! Destroy all synths if you want.

Contradicting Reaper logic - NO! Synths will always (Another absolute, but this is more absurd for a supposedly logical machine to rely on.) destroy organic life.

Some advanced organics create Synths.

Absurd and flawed conclusion - Therefore all advanced organics must be brutally killed and horrendously turned into reaper jelly food in the most horrific way possible.... Wait, Shepard made it to the catalyst? Ummm... J/K lol! Destroy all synths if you want.

Couldn't the reapers just destroy all the synthetics and tell the organics not to mess with artificial intelligence? It already sounded like the Protheans didn't like synthetic life.

They already proved they have the power to wipe out both organics and synthetics, why not wipe out the latter. It'd make sense imo if they acted as guardians if things got out of hand, not mass murderers.

televator

Couldn't the reapers just destroy all the synthetics and tell the organics not to mess with artificial intelligence? It already sounded like the Protheans didn't like synthetic life.

They already proved they have the power to wipe out both organics and synthetics, why not wipe out the latter. It'd make sense imo if they acted as guardians if things got out of hand, not mass murderers.

That would only make too much sense. Clearly you have more rationale and sensible decision making ability than a timeless godlike super being and probably whoever the hell wrote this abominable reaper logic and ending.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I didn't think the article was that great, and I would disagree on a few items. However, the last paragraph on lesson five is good.

ME3 is a good example, since they were working on the intro and end before finishing.

Lesson #5: Post-Production is Half the Film

However, most game schedules that I have seen don't seem to have an official "post-production" period set out at the end of the project. Audio, cinematics, lighting, titles, and special effects are often expected to come online throughout regular production. While many elements can easily come online early, some need to wait for final content before implementation. What results is a crunch period right before major milestones for audio and other team members. Game developers may want to consider laying out extra time at the end of their projects to ensure these key elements can be fully realized.

nel e nel

Your link doesn't work, but I google'd it, and damn that's a good article. Agreed, the film writing and development process is so much more mature than games.

Well, film is also about 100 years older, so they've had a lot longer to work the kinks out of the creative process.

I just found it interesting that the whole flying-by-the-seat-of-ones-pants is more commonplace than I thought, particularly when it come to the writing/script.

Gazzawa

When will we see Biowares "Why our shit stinks." DLC?
Late June/July maybe?
Does a rushed DLC fix a rush ending
2 wrongs make a right. Right?

RoylAsult

just beat the game, i overall really enjoyed it. Going to go back later and do all of the side missions and see where that takes me.

By game didnt come with an online pass and i was wondering if the online portion of the game was anything worth checking out? Its just like horde right? no VS?

DTKT

just beat the game, i overall really enjoyed it. Going to go back later and do all of the side missions and see where that takes me.

By game didnt come with an online pass and i was wondering if the online portion of the game was anything worth checking out? Its just like horde right? no VS?

It's a horde mode. Keep in mind that part of the endings are tied to how much MP you played.

the chris

i just really dont see me getting much out of it, feel like i would get tired of it quickly.

It might not be for everybody, but I actually spent more time playing the multiplayer than the single-player game. I ended up getting roughly 90% of the kills for the Veteran trophy just in multiplayer.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
i just really dont see me getting much out of it, feel like i would get tired of it quickly.

It's fun and especially addictive, mostly due to the random rewards from the packs. And its cool to play as something else than a human(especially the "IM GONNA SMASH YOUR FACE" style of krogans). I probably played more hours of multiplayer than my two full campaign runs already.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just beat it. Got the Green ending.

Don't get the hate? I was avoiding threads like this due to spoilers, but anyone who breathes knows the world hates this ending... I guess I just don't get it. This was always Shepard's story, and I'm glad it all came down to his last decision. Everything that came before lead him to make this choice. I thought it was very powerful. He got a long well with eveeeeryone so he merged synthetic and organic life and saved the world and now everyone's happy in some exotic island with Javik for some reason, and they glow a little green... at least the world moves on.

I assume 'Grandpa Shepard' means I lived and had babies with Amanda?

So, what's the issue? People sad they never got to see Tali's face?

Don't get the hate? I was avoiding threads like this due to spoilers, but anyone who breathes knows the world hates this ending... I guess I just don't get it. This was always Shepard's story, and I'm glad it all came down to his last decision. Everything that came before lead him to make this choice. I thought it was very powerful. He got a long well with eveeeeryone so he merged synthetic and organic life and saved the world and now everyone's happy in some exotic island with Javik for some reason, and they glow a little green... at least the world moves on.

Another innocent soul... who wants to take this one?

The old guy wasn't Shepard, or one of her descendants. Just some dude on some planet who can't leave because the relays are destroyed.

Cromat

Classic phase one. You'll start to feel angry and disoriented in 24 hours.

John Harker

Classic phase one. You'll start to feel angry and disoriented in 24 hours.

:(

Other than that numbing gauntlet of battles leading up to the Citadel Beam, which was dumb, I thought this was the best ME for sure. Good pacing (up till the end part), great character moments (Mordin, nooooooo), what I thought had the best overall writing, tightest combat, etc.

Is the hate for the game or the ending? Not seeing it. enlighten me... turn me green. So far, I'm content with it...

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA&feature=youtu.be
2) That wasn't Grandpa Shepard, that was some random old dude thousands of years in the future
3) Even if you made peace between the geth and quarians, the magic god child still insists that synthetics will always rebel and destroy their creators (here's a fun question: why didn't the Reapers ever go rogue against him, or destroy all the organics in the galaxy if that was true)
4) You blew up the means for intragalactic travel
5) The people who were rushing up to the beam with you suddenly teleported to the Normandy
6) Boy I hope Tali and Garrus had a stockpile of dextro food on that jungle planet
7) Why was Joker running away from the fight?
8) The Catalyst (the leader of your enemies) gives you three prebaked choices and Shepard accepts this
9) Synthesis is just straight up unexplained space magic that robs quadrillions of sentient beings of their choices by fundamentally transforming them against their will into a homogeneous whole, making Shepard a monster who literally did what he convinced Saren was impossible two games prior
10) You do get to see Tali's face if you romanced her. She gives you what is, I shit you not, a framed picture that is literally a badly Photoshopped stock photo of a long-haired brunette woman posing in a field

John Harker

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA&feature=youtu.be
2) That wasn't Grandpa Shepard, that was some random old dude thousands of years in the future
3) Even if you made peace between the geth and quarians, the magic god child still insists that synthetics will always rebel and destroy their creators (here's a fun question: why didn't the Reapers ever go rogue against him, or destroy all the organics in the galaxy if that was true)
4) You blew up the means for intragalactic travel
5) The people who were rushing up to the beam with you suddenly teleported to the Normandy
6) Boy I hope Tali and Garrus had a stockpile of dextro food on that jungle planet
7) Why was Joker running away from the fight?
8) The Catalyst (the leader of your enemies) gives you three prebaked choices and Shepard accepts this
9) Synthesis is just straight up unexplained space magic that robs quadrillions of sentient beings of their choices by fundamentally transforming them against their will into a homogeneous whole, making Shepard a monster who literally did what he convinced Saren was impossible two games prior
10) You do get to see Tali's face if you romanced her. She gives you what is, I shit you not, a framed picture that is literally a badly Photoshopped stock photo of a long-haired brunette woman posing in a field

2. Ahh, you're right. Screwed that one up. Got it, no babies with Miranda (I was annoyed she wasn't on my ship at the end for a goodbye roll in the sack). But the legend lives on.
3. I don't know about any magic god-child; to me, he only appeared that way because of Shepard's subconscious with the little boy he's been having nightmares about. Makes it easier for Shepard to see hope here. I figured who this was was actually the final evoluation of VI-AI-Evolution, the original Synthetic Shepard, i.e. the Syntheic 'legend' to Shepard's 'legend' - basically, the inorganic who got there before Shep did, who was the first organic. This synthetic lifeform had a choice and chose to use the combined knowledge and power of the universe up to that point and, ya know, create reapers and destroy the world. Again and again. It's just logic to preserve balance/chaos such an advanced AI, EDI hinted as much along the way. Now it's Shepard's turn to make that choice for Organics (I chose to use this power to meld everyone, happy-like)
4. Good, gives everyone a few hundred decades to rebuild and evolve. We're all a new species now, so let's go enjoy some peace and rediscover who you are. Well, there are also representatives of everyone known specis hovering over Earth right now. I'm sure that could lead to one hell of a mixed racial/special Utopia down the line, if you are so inclinded. People aren't as "cut off" as you might think, considering most people are hanging around each other right now when the relays went down. Whoever was left, anyway. Now they can build their own Citadel!
5. I didn't see it that way, one of the background VO's after you wake up on the way to the Beam said not everyone made it after the place, called for a full retreat... your squad simply retreated with the rest of them and got picked up later.
6. Tali and Garrus are lovers now according to that one scene I got, I'm sure they'll make do in each others' arms. Considering this is Shepard's story, I'm cool with my imagination filling in the rest. Just glad they survived (note: while I WOULD and do want to see what happens to each crew member... this is an RPG. I'm so used to NOT getting that, I wasnt really expecting it)
7. He had no idea what the Green Beam was going to do... who WOULDN'T run away from a large laser beam headed your way?
8. Not sure about prebaked... many of your decisions up to this point lead to what choices you had. You as the player need to take into consideration the way you played and choose who you want to be. Presumably, just like this Synathetic did when he had to make that choice
9. Battlestar Galactica (just a joke... )
10. Ah, I never saw it. I went with Liara, Miranda, Miranda.

Seems very Battlestar-like melding of species solution by a higher power to me, just at once instead of, whatever that was, 50,000 years later. I also didn't have a problem with that ending, if it is of any consideration

edit: sorry, it's late. Cleaned that up a bit... use the above version.

Thanks for the chat about it! I know I'm super LTTSF (late to the shit fest)

Your choices have absolutely nothing to do with the beams at the end.

And "Battlestar Galactica" isn't a defense.

And no, that wasn't a Synthetic "Shepard" who "got there first" and "had to make a choice," it was a godlike AI being that created the Citadel and was presumably created by an organic race for that purpose.

John Harker

I better edit that to Miranda, shouldnt I... whoops. I need to stop waiting till so late to beat games.

Though I will say this: I didn't get the "perfect" ending, so I suppose I need to spend some time thinking about what that scene means. The above was just my first gut shot.

rdrr gnr

2. Ahh, you're right. Screwed that one up. Got it, no babies with Amanda (I was annoyed she wasn't on my ship at the end for a goodbye roll in the sack). But the legend lives on.
3. I don't know about any magic god-child; to me, he only appeared that way because of Shepard's subconscious with the little boy he's been having nightmares about. Makes it easier for Shepard to see hope here. I figured who this was was actually the final evoluation of VI-AI-Evolution, the original Synthetic Shepard, i.e. the Syntheic 'legend' to Shepard's 'legend' - basically, the inorganic who got there before Shep did, who was the first organic. This synthetic lifeform had a choice and chose to use the combined knowledge and power of the universe up to that point and, ya know, create reapers and destroy the world. Again and again. It's just logic to preserve balance/chaos such an advanced AI, EDI hinted as much along the way. Now it's Shepard's turn to make that choice for Organics (I chose to use this power to meld everyone, happy-like)
4. Good, gives everyone a few hundred decades to rebuild and evolve. We're all a new species now, so let's go enjoy some peace and rediscover who you are. Well, there are also representatives of everyone known specis hovering over Earth right now. I'm sure that could lead to one hell of a mixed racial/special Utopia down the line, if you are so inclinded. People aren't as "cut off" as you might think, considering most people are hanging around each other right now when the relays went down. Whoever was left, anyway. Now they can build their own Citadel!
5. I didn't see it that way, one of the background VO's after you wake up on the way to the Beam said not everyone made it after the place, called for a full retreat... your squad simply retreated with the rest of them and got picked up later.
6. Tali and Garrus are lovers now according to that one scene I got, I'm sure they'll make do in each others' arms. Considering this is Shepard's story, I'm cool with my imagination filling in the rest. Just glad they survived (note: while I WOULD and do want to see what happens to each crew member... this is an RPG. I'm so used to NOT getting that, I wasnt really expecting it)
7. He had no idea what the Green Beam was going to do... who WOULDN'T run away from a large laser beam headed your way?
8. Not sure about prebaked... many of your decisions up to this point lead to what choices you had. You as the player need to take into consideration the way you played and choose who you want to be. Presumably, just like this Synathetic did when he had to make that choice
9. Battlestar Galactica
10. Ah, I never saw it. I went with Liara, Amanda, Amanda.

Seems very Battlestar to me, just at once instead of, whatever that was, 50,000 years later. I also didn't have a problem with that ending, if it is of any consideration

edit: sorry, it's late. Cleaned that up a bit... use the above version.

Thanks for the chat about it! I know I'm super LTTSF (late to the shit fest)
None of your answers do anything for your case.

John Harker

None of your answers do anything for your case.

Not really arguing a case as much as I am gut reacting without having any prior knowledge of the ending controversy. The above was a response to EmCee based solely on what I saw on screen and my experience playing ME1-3.

If I hadn't started reading about the "issues," I wouldn't have inherently had any personally: I think that was my conclusion.

However - I was fooled once this year (with Dark Souls, tricky game ending there), so now I'm reading up on this indoctrination theory stuff. And while I totally disagree with a lot of set up, some of the ending bits of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDSwW7jflAQ&feature=player_embedded I just watched do make a lot of sense. It's pretty thought-provoking actually. Which probably makes me like it more. At least read up on it more anyway.

televator

Everything that came before lead him to make this choice. I thought it was very powerful

No. The Starchild created those choices regardless of what Shepard has done before. Any choices you made before have absolutely no bearing on the final choice. Also the "powerful" choice is based on flawed logic. The star child derives his "solutions" from the premise that synthetics will always destroy all organics. Which is 1) Patently false 2) contradictory to the fact that reapers do not have the kind of foresight to make that claim in the first place. So there really is no point what so ever for the arbitrary and extremely specific consequences of the final choice.

He got a long well with eveeeeryone so he merged synthetic and organic life and saved the world and now everyone's happy...

No. Your choice violates free will and will piss people off. Aside from that, all choices are actually just one choice as they all play out in the same functional manner.

Salsa

so yeah, just finished it.

At first i was like what the hell is everyone talking about, this is great, great tension and i cant wait to see how it unfolds.. then Shepard went up and.. yeah.

Man.

edit: oh and i killed the reapers, that's what i was there to do

Top Bottom