• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Deadly rally accelerates removal of Confederate statues

Duly noted

GeRuVkY.gif

Acorn

It's funny when racists think they've found a sly way to dog whistle around. When they get rumbled it's extra tasty.

Korey

I wish there was a tally of total confederate statues removed.

This backfired on the alt-right in the most amazing way possible lol.

Watch their shitty heritage get erased in real time.

I wish there was a tally of total confederate statues removed.

This backfired on the alt-right in the most amazing way possible lol.

Watch their shitty heritage get erased in real time.

There's hundreds in the southern states. I hope they get removed in my lifetime.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What history? Most of those garbage statues are recent and have been done purely to intimidate people and literally nothing else.

Most of those monuments were erected between 1900-1920. There was also a significant spike from the mid fifties till the end of the sixties.

Dominator

I definitely think these should all be taken down, but did anybody care about this before what started happening in the country? I don't remember anyone talking about these Confederate statues and all of a sudden its blown up.

Slayven

I definitely think these should all be taken down, but did anybody care about this before what started happening in the country? I don't remember anyone talking about these Confederate statues and all of a sudden its blown up.

You wasn't listening. People been talking about them, and the confederate flag since i been a kid. Especially the Georgia flag

The reason ti blown up is a white woman died. Now shit is serious to some people instead of just some minorities complaining just to complain

White people didn't care about Confederate flags and monuments because it didn't threaten them. They seemed like meaningless tokens from a bygone era, so why not let nostalgic southerners have their silly flag? They're not hurting anybody. It's totally harmless and, thanks to depictions like The Dukes of Hazard, even a little goofy!

The truth was, of course, the flag didn't affect white people because "racism was over" and it was not a symbol of their oppression. But we are in different and more politically conscious times where people pay more attention to what things represent. It's not just a "southern flag" anymore - people see it for what it really is and for what black Americans have seen it for all along.

White people celebrated the Civil War with cheeky re-enactments and folk songs about the tragedy of "brother against brother." Fiction poked fun at the idea of a Confederate victory (Twin Peaks, South Park). White people always treated it as some sort of noble American sacrifice where, somehow, everyone was remembered as heroes.

But it's a lot harder now to keep up that charade today and not just because Heather Heyer died. Nobody has grandparents who fought in the Civil War anymore and people are naturally more critical of what actually happened. Confederates were traitorous slavers. That is what their flag represents. That is what their monuments celebrate.

The same way more and more people accept the genocide of the Native Americans at the hands of our founders as a sad and sobering truth, more and more Americans are freed from the romanticism of the Civil War and recognize the history as something that should not be cherished.

That's how it looks to me, anyway.

norm9

William Shatner apparently funded the restoration or something of a confederate statue because he's all about keeping them up, or at least his statue, based on his tweets.

I tweeted him, but hes all about since his general was pardoned, by Johnson no less, he's fine and dandy.

What a shithead.

Fox318

William Shatner apparently funded the restoration or something of a confederate statue because he's all about keeping them up, or at least his statue, based on his tweets.

I tweeted him, but hes all about since his general was pardoned, by Johnson no less, he's fine and dandy.

What a shithead.
Why does a Canadian like him even care?

Top Bottom