• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Rymuth

It was a conscious choice to make it somewhat dark, difficult, and ominous to look at. I tried to find a balance between readability, a Norse rune look, and the game's dark tone. (Sometimes I still read C's as open parentheses though.)

Clever~

Wozman23

Is this basically going to be like Heavenly Sword type combat?

It's been called a spiritual successor, but I really don't see much that translates other than Kai's non-traditional mental state and the fact that there's a sword.

Despite the trailers and development diaries, I'm still not sure what exactly to expect, but I don't expect combat to be the primary focus, and it's certainly not an action-based hack-and-slash. It looks a lot more narrative driven and atmospheric, and I expected it to rely more heavily on puzzle elements.

But, I don't think anyone really has a good idea, and we won't know until reviews start to come in.

giphy.gif

Freeman76

It was a conscious choice to make it somewhat dark, difficult, and ominous to look at. I tried to find a balance between readability, a Norse rune look, and the game's dark tone. (Sometimes I still read C's as open parentheses though.)

Im colourblind and cant read it at all lol. Im sure its great though. Looks like a good idea of a game, wonder if it will be good. I work in the mental health field and am interested to see how they handle this.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I hope this is good. Been following development since day one. Don't like the main character though. Any word on reviews ?

Anung

Un Rama
I'm still a little bit on the fence so I'll wait for reviews to see if they push me over. I will say I dig what the game is going for and like what it represents in the industry.

The development diaries Ninja Theory has done for the game have been great. I feel like I've learned a lot about game development just from watching them.

The look of this game alone has me excited.

The fact it is ninja theory is nearly making me pre-order it now regardless of reviews

Is it irrational to have some doubt on the game due to the review embargo being on the release date? Every time I see this kind of thing happen it makes me think that the publisher has little faith in it and with this being self published, it makes me even more worried.

I really hope it's good though. The concept is right up my alley and the last trailer was fantastic. It's also great to see the sound being hyped up. I'm a sucker for some good sound design.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Does anyone know what the framerate is for OG PS4? Is it 60fps?

Osukaa

Damn your OT probably already sold me on the game lol. From what I've seen I hope it's good I didn't think the fighting was really great but I'm a fan of Ninja Theory so I'll just have to trust em.

Is it irrational to have some doubt on the game due to the review embargo being on the release date? Every time I see this kind of thing happen it makes me think that the publisher has little faith in it and with this being self published, it makes me even more worried.

I really hope it's good though. The concept is right up my alley and the last trailer was fantastic. It's also great to see the sound being hyped up. I'm a sucker for some good sound design.

Following how the game plays and feels and the review embargo, which is basically lifted when it's already released, have me worried.

Edit: Great OT though!

Endo Punk

Following how the game plays and feels and the review embargo, which is basically lifted when it's already released, have me worried.

Edit: Great OT though!

Definitely suspicious especially for an indie game but TN always review around 8-9 so I expect the same here.

Not irrational at all. Waiting for reviews and feedback from game critics you trust is always a good idea =) It's such a shame when that feedback is forcibly delayed until post release, because it means I can never justify buying a game on day one in those situations, and I love helping out with day one sales figures for great games, especially when they're self published like this.

Reedirect

Beautiful OT.

This is my most anticipated game for the rest of the year so I'm day 1 no matter what, but I'm also really interested in how it reviews. Focus seems to be on story and subject matter rather than combat, something that doesn't always bode well with reviewers. Expecting divisive scores here.

no advance reviews? ok I'll watch them tomorrow. it's a shame I went crazy and bought 2 games this weekend. Anyways, here's hoping that Ninja Theory's take on schizophrenia is actually as involving a story as Heavenly Sword or Enslaved.

Yup been thinking the same.

You can look at it both ways.
Or the game is not great and don't want reviews to hit while it's not released.
Or they are using it as a marketing tool to get more sales. When reviews hit, you have a lot of eyes on your game and it's a good thing to have it available.

We'll see, hope it's the latter.

Sesha

Is this basically going to be like Heavenly Sword type combat?

No. It doesn't really play like any of their previous games. It's very grounded in comparison. You have a dodge for all four directions, a few combos, and a couple of special attacks. There's no jumping AFAIK.

I this case (self-published) its more they were working on polishing right up to the absolute last second.

either that or not wanting streamers to reveal the whole game's story before people had a chance to play it.

Either way, this is next for me after splatoon 2

Jobbs

Banned
I have it preordered.

Been following this game for a very long time and it's exciting to finally get the chance to play it. I don't know a lot about how it actually plays in its final form, despite watching many of the early dev diaries, but I love the look and concept.

I'm anticipating a shorter game, probably 4-6 hours, and that'd be fine for the price. I hope it's great!

Fredrik

Already preordered, can't wait to play this!

OP: I can barely see the text in the OT on my phone, the dark text over the black background just blend together or something.

Tyaren

Game wasn't really on my radar so far, but now I found out it will also include a photo mode? :) Awesome, I can't get enough of those, especially when a game is that stunning looking:

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0002.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0003.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0001.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0004.jpg

These are apparently all photo mode screens.

Really hope this is good. Ninja Theory have done right by me their past two games, and I'd love to see them make it a hat trick.

As an aside, since we're so far along since the game was revealed now, this early concept art is still the best design of Senua...

It's a shame they didn't quite capture the greatness of that original image (imo).

KORNdoggy

Really hope this is good. Ninja Theory have done right by me their past two games, and I'd love to see them make it a hat trick.

As an aside, since we're so far along since the game was revealed now, this early concept art is still the best design of Senua...

It's a shame they didn't quite capture the greatness of that original image (imo).

i like this concept the most too, and i liked the original 3D model more than what they have now as well. there's something that annoys me about the new face.

Orb

As a person with
bipolar, psychosis, and depression
Im REALLY interested and excited to see something possibly have a good depiction of mental illness.

Amazing OT, can't wait to play this, DmC was brilliant (in terms of gameplay and presentation), so I can't wait what they do with story. Everything about this game looks phenomenal.

Top Bottom