• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

Shun

C5RhRc-UcAA2UQa.jpg

If people are interested, Bandai will be releasing a Robot Damashii Ka Signature Huckebein for the 25th Anniversary.

Absol

Ugh. My copy has been stuck customs at Memphis since Wednesday evening :(

I knew the Thursday delivery date was too good to be true.

It's been awhile since I watched Cross Ange but there was a scene in the first or second episode that had (be warned, it's gross)
anal rape with a butt plug type thing? I forget but something like that.

I don't know why I expected anything different....

I'm not going to lie though, aside from that scene and the fan service I had a good time watching CA. In an "Omg it's so horrible that I have to laugh at it" sort of way. It's mindless.

Something something intelligent women.

I'm not going to lie though, aside from that scene and the fan service I had a good time watching CA. In an "Omg it's so horrible that I have to laugh at it" sort of way. It's mindless.

Something something intelligent women.

If I come across it I'll give it a watch. I really like the mecha design so I think I can tolerate a bad show.

They got rid of the requirement for the Aestivalis to be near the Nadesico to get energy. It just gets it automatically. I think if it was Nadeisco TV it might require being close but I recall PoD almost always getting rid of that requirement.

I certainly do not recall this being the case in SRWMX. Though granted, that was a decade ago.

I don't know but I doubt it? I assume it'll probably be similar to SRW Z2

From what I heard in SRWG, it's similar to the Li Brasta selections

squall23

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they asked Obari to work on it. Obari's worked on all of the Yuusha series in some capacity including GaoGaiGar.

For comparison here are the first openings to all the Yuusha/Brave series.

Brave Exkaiser
Brave of the Sun Fighbird
Legendary Brave Da Garn
Brave Express Might Gaine Opening
Brave Police J-decker
The Golden Brave: Goldran
Brave Command Dagwon
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
To clarify, the OPs he didn't work on are Goldran, J-Decker, and GGG.

Shouta

I certainly do not recall this being the case in SRWMX. Though granted, that was a decade ago.

From what I heard in SRWG, it's similar to the Li Brasta selections

I went and looked up MX and it looks like they had the radius in that. It's one of my favorites, mostly because of Dendoh, but it's been ages since I played it, lol.

Right, that's what I meant by Z2

To clarify, the OPs he didn't work on are Goldran, J-Decker, and GGG.

Well, it's not limited to OPs as I said in some capacity. I just pointed out the OPs because it's the easiest to pull up, lol. Also, he worked on J-decker but isn't listed in the credits and in GGG's case, he worked on Final.

I think the only one he didn't have anything to do with is Goldran?

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/大張正己

Anywhere to buy the physical English version that's not sold out right now? Would prefer to avoid Play Asia given their support of GG.

Anywhere to buy the physical English version that's not sold out right now? Would prefer to avoid Play Asia given their support of GG.

Amazon Marketplace, but you'll be paying roughly $110 with shipping included. Yes Asia has it for $75, but they're also backordered. PlayAsia is the cheapest I know of at $59.99.

Had no clue PlayAsia was a GamerGate supporter. That sucks.

hiten

Neo Member
As someone who's new to SRW, which game mode should I play? Will "Standard Mode" be too intimidating for beginner?

Shouta

Any JAM Project in this?

Yep, they do the opening as always. It's called 'The Exceeder" this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsxz7PrHFpQ

As someone who's new to SRW, which game mode should I play? Will "Standard Mode" be too intimidating for beginner?

Standard mode should be fine for a beginner. Beginner mode gets rid of SR points, extra objectives during a mission you can do to challenge yourself, and the difficulty is set at normal. You are also guaranteed some bonus money and TacPs at the end of the map. In Standard mode, as you collect SR points, the level of the game can increase to Hard mode making it a little more difficult and the bonus from SR points is set at 10,000 money. You start at normal difficulty so you can affect the difficulty by going after SR points or not.

You can also change the mode in the Intermission screen settings. So I'd recommend going standard first and if it's too hard, switch to Beginner.

Does the Eng ver have original music or no.

I want you to think about Banpresto composing an entire new OST worth of songs for what is essentially an on-the-cheap translation (yes it's way better than MD but still filled with typos and the occasional incredibly stiff line and mistranslated SR Point objectives) and tell me how much sense you think that makes.

Apharmd

Amazon Marketplace, but you'll be paying roughly $110 with shipping included. Yes Asia has it for $75, but they're also backordered. PlayAsia is the cheapest I know of at $59.99.

Had no clue PlayAsia was a GamerGate supporter. That sucks.

What the fuuuck PlayAsia supports GamerGate? Goddamn. Can't buy shit there no more. Save me OffGamers.

Bebpo

Banned
This game is awesome!

I don't think I've said that about a SRW game since Z2-1/Z2-2. I've been really down on the licensed games for the last decade as they've felt like budget issues and misdirection and bloated slow unfun games at a lot of times.
But this game early on feels the opposite of all that. It's fast, it's fun and the animations are great and exciting. It's everything I used to love about SRW. Glad they are finally back on the right track.

Man, I'm literally ecstatic that a series I'd given up on ever being great again and just lowering my standards and accept mediocre games for the rest of time until the studio finally dies actually made a great fucking game again.

I want you to think about Banpresto composing an entire new OST worth of songs for what is essentially an on-the-cheap translation (yes it's way better than MD but still filled with typos and the occasional incredibly stiff line and mistranslated SR Point objectives) and tell me how much sense you think that makes.

I heard that there are two versions. One with music from the shows, one with boring original compositions.

t26

I heard that there are two versions. One with music from the shows, one with boring original compositions.

The stand version has music from the show. There is a Premium version with some vocal songs from TV show. There is no original composition other than songs for original characters.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Ignoring translation quality, how is Moon Dwellers? Barring the inclusion of a number of specific series, I actually like the OG cast more than most of the regular games (The Z2 PSP games are the only mainline installments I've made it through, but they were great.).

I was thinking to myself we should have the English attract mode in the OP for people to see how great the game is and looks. And then I saw it was there. Good job !

I can't get over how glorious Yamato's attacks are.

Anyway I went with Chitose over Soji, who did everyone else pick as their main character?
Soji for me.

Blue-kun

It's not really as bizarre an idea as you'd think. When they showed the game on Taipei Game Show, as well as the trailer for the asian version, both were using an original score.

They mentioned during the talk segment of Taipei that there were some issues with the licensing, which is probably where these questions are coming from.

Anyhow, seems like they managed to sort it out, thankfully.

Tsukumo

I...really like this version of Go Aestivalis. It's so relaxing.

They did an exceptional job with the arrangements. Only ones I don't like are the Unicorn bgms. You would think they paid more attention to the list they made for the Premium version, but no, the ones in the standard edition are as good as the additional ones.
The intermission bgms are really, really good too. I have changed only a couple of them and put tracks from Xenoblade and Interstellar, but only to substitute old rearrangements from previous SRWs. All of the new ones I absolutely dig.
What really got me though are the sound effects. The sound when mechs transform is really explosive and loud, while the change of phases is underlined with this sort of laser-weapon-like effect that makes it really stand out.

To add to what Shouta said, I would suggest to also play the Guidance Scenario.

Ignoring translation quality, how is Moon Dwellers? Barring the inclusion of a number of specific series, I actually like the OG cast more than most of the regular games (The Z2 PSP games are the only mainline installments I've made it through, but they were great.).

Challenging gameplay-wise but boring plot-wise. I really don't like the direction they took with the characters. Outside of the way they look they just feel so similar to each other. One thing that was great about the first OG game was the recurrence of themes like the Huckbein being this sort "haunted" mech, Ruysei happy-go-lucky attitude through all of it, the story behind the School children all living in awe of Ouka, and the Shadow Mirrors being the good guys becoming the necessary evil.
In 2nd OG and Moon Dwellers they just kept adding characters and they just... can't work out a way to make them interact with each other outside of exchanging information, recapping split routes, and introducing to each other. There isn't much cross-over dialogue between teams, the plot is too serious and complicated for its own good, and the only characters that become somewhat interesting are Touya and Galvina.
And the humour feels always out of place, as if it had been mathematically shoe-horned under god knows what pacing standard, ending up completely flat even when it works. A lot of times I'm reading jokes and I think "I should be laughing right now, why I'm not laughing?".
In Generations anything, ANYTHING, Tusk said would immediately crack me up. And don't get me started on how BORING Touma and Sanger have become. Soooo stiff.
Besides THAT the animations are great, the twin system is better than ever and the loading times are almost down to zero. The Bgm list is more of the same, and while everything got unlocked from the start, they really need to get the guy behind V's original bgms to come up with a new soundtrack for OG. Because after 15 years even the awesomeness of Vanishing Trooper looses its kick.

I finally unlocked the factory. So, what's everyone going with on that TAC customize tree?
Before I realized you were locking yourself out of the other choices, I went with that SP regen boost for Stage 1, and I consider going all in on the TAC bonus for Stage 2. Stage 3 rewards all look broken TBH.

MongKey

Anyway I went with Chitose over Soji, who did everyone else pick as their main character?
I picked Soji for my playthrough.

I finally unlocked the factory. So, what's everyone going with on that TAC customize tree?
Before I realized you were locking yourself out of the other choices, I went with that SP regen boost for Stage 1, and I consider going all in on the TAC bonus for Stage 2. Stage 3 rewards all look broken TBH.
I went the same as you for Stage 1 and 2; SP regen and all TAC bonus. Gonna go with increased Crit damage for stage 3 since you can can get a guarantee Crit with Smash Hit.

For stage 4, I'm choosing
the one that gives 10 focus per attack. Although I'm guessing it's a translation error since that will be OP as heck; it might just be a fixed bonus on sortie
. Either way, it's the best one IMO for stage 4.

I don't have the game yet, but will be picking the girl. I always pick female leads in SRWs since they are so rare in mecha anime

Literally the only time I've not done this was in Z, cause mechanic GaoGaiGar was so much fucking cooler that whatever that crying girl's bullshit was

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn, I wish I had a Vita... don't want to import the game to play it on PS4... I won't have time to do so in fromt of the tv, I know it already :(

On the other hand it's SRW! in english! Wow. I fear that if I don't order it now, short of PSN the physical Asia Eng copies will disappear fast... there's another shipment tho since it's already on backorder (2/4weeks) at Play Asia.

Decisions.
I mean, if this one had more of Go Nagai or '70s staples I wouldn't have any doubts, but there's no Grendizer, nor Jeeg, or even Tekkaman...

I just noticed on scenarios 11 and 12 that you can get additional skills by beating major enemies with the right unit.

I assume this wasn't available before because
it's Nine who points it out every time.

What does Proud Ace and the other Ace statuses do?

Edit:
And how do you get the Full Custom Bonus? It says "acquired at Robot Customization Lv. 10, but all my mechs are higher than 10% customization level and still hasn't unlocked.

What does Proud Ace and the other Ace statuses do?

Edit:
And how do you get the Full Custom Bonus? It says "acquired at Robot Customization Lv. 10, but all my mechs are higher than 10% customization level and still hasn't unlocked.

Lv 10 means all your upgrade levels are at 10, or in other words, 100%.

Proud Ace decreases the number of kills needed to achieve Ace and Great Ace by 10.

Can anyone tell me the difference (if any) between the Vita and Ps4 version? I'd prefer Vita just because I've already got enough to play on PS4 but if it's a compromised port I'll probably skip it.

Can anyone tell me the difference (if any) between the Vita and Ps4 version? I'd prefer Vita just because I've already got enough to play on PS4 but if it's a compromised port I'll probably skip it.

Stuff is lower res so some sprites and cutins look fuzzier.

And that's about it for differences.

Top Bottom