• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Yukinari

...And I just beat GP7 with Spring Man in under half the time it took me to beat GP6!

I don't get this game. :<

Well, at least the difficulty spike between GP6 and GP7 is pretty much nonexistent. I can probably skip from GP4 straight to GP7 after I feel I can use the other characters well enough.

The AI is inconsistent in a lot of fights for no reason.

Ive had Kid Cobra just ride the skateboard thing and barely attack or have Ribbon Girl constantly predict my grabs. Its just hard to learn the game when the difficulty can be so ridiculous sometimes.

Gonna go against the grain here and actually say I enjoy the party mode way more than ranked.

Been chillin in rooms for hours and just love jumping around to different modes.

Here's a new rush tutorial from the Arms University video series. Picked up a handful of tips from it—I hadn't thought of using the rush to cancel into a block against an incoming rush, since I always used it on the offensive.

Rezbit

Gonna go against the grain here and actually say I enjoy the party mode way more than ranked.

Been chillin in rooms for hours and just love jumping around to different modes.

Yeah I don't mind party mode. I'm getting less salty at the game as I play it too haha, so I don't get too mad if I lose in V-Ball or target mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I loved Dan's recap of his two matches with Jorpen (one of the Rank 15s):

I played jorpen in ranked
I won 1st game super ez
had like 90% hp both rounds
jorpen counter-picked and stopped using ramram because my ram usage was faster
he used cracker aganist my ice dragon on 2nd game
no big deal, switch to 2x ramram, won next round
then 3rd round I had huge lead but he decided to aggressive on my wakeups
couldn't recover
This is what high-level play is like in Arms right now. Even if you have what seems like an easy match, in the hands of a good player a solid counterpick (a straightforward speed/light Arm countering the slowest-in-game Ice Dragon) can trip you up on the rematch. Then a counterpick (double medium curve to beat the quick-firing light straight shot) on Dan's part to readjust for the 2nd round win and we're down to the tiebreaker, which Jorpen finally won in a comeback by recognizing an active weakness over the course of their matches and finally exploiting it with skilled play. I loved how Dan's immediate reaction was not "that was cheap/unfair" but basically "damn, I need to work on my wakeups."

Congrats to Dan on the initial victory and the close as hell second match!

Ashodin

Yeah that counterpick and stuff sounds a LOT like what high level Magic is like. You know exactly what to use to win against cheap tactics.

Been playing on and off for a week now. I am definitely seeing vastly different playstyles with people who use the same characters and arms. Seeing more Helixes now as well in party mode. More B&B now as well.

Speaking of B&B, thier winning animation is so cute!!! Barq is all like :3

Having so much fun in party mode right now and using the coins to unlock different arms and trying those on with my mains (Twintelle and Helix). I'm loving the birds and the poppers.

SW-2671-5262-1143 is my friend code.

seady

Is it just me or does anybody find this game single player mode very hard? I want to play online, but first I need to beat level 4 single player first. And I have trouble beating almost every stage.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or does anybody find this game single player mode very hard? I want to play online, but first I need to beat level 4 single player first. And I have trouble beating almost every stage.

It is tough. I just exited out and played through levels 1, 2 and 3 first to gradually get better.

thedan001

It was a big realization that I hadn't trained very much with wakeup recoveries because I played with goremagala for hours, almost 1 week later, I started ranked battles.

Got rank 4-10 in a day because all the strategies I learned from gaffers made the climb a joke.

Facing rank 13-15's was my first time I had to deal with wakeups (besides gore's helix) and realized my stumbling block.

I never fell down on my first game with Jorpen because I watched Jorpen before and already knew what loadouts he used. I went ice dragon because it really counters well on minmins who depend on ramrams.

Back to training some more, stopped at rank 12 myself for now.

(For those asking, ice dragon will hit minmin before her ramram arc will hit you, then keep blasting ice dragon so she can't get her dragon arm special back)

Ashodin

I like that it's a threshold for people to get into.

Oh man, I just got Dragon arms, and they're awesome as hell.

Biske

It just gets old?

I dunno I don't find it fun, a pointless stick measuring.

Part of it is I just dont like competitive fighting games so much. But also its just boring, boring match after match.

Party mode breaks it up, new stuff, different modes.

LotusHD

Banned
It just gets old?

I dunno I don't find it fun, a pointless stick measuring.

Part of it is I just dont like competitive fighting games so much. But also its just boring, boring match after match.

Party mode breaks it up, new stuff, different modes.

Oh, sure I get that, it's just that you said "Fuck Ranked", so I thought you felt there was something wrong with it or something lol

That said, it's kind of the main point of fighting games. But yea, having stuff like Party Match obviously helps break the eventual tedium.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I like Party Mode as well. Haven't delved into ranked mode since unlocking it the other day.

I'm not too keen on it for now honeslty as I'm more focused on Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 with my new-ish Tekken 7 fight stick, and just having Arms for causal play here and there.

Biske

Oh, sure I get that, it's just that you said "Fuck Ranked", so I thought you felt there was something wrong with it or something lol

That said, it's kind of the main point of fighting games. But yea, having stuff like Party Match obviously helps break the eventual tedium.

I love ranked mode in a game like Splatoon.

But in fighting games,its often so uneven, whats the point, and then you get a high rank and then... meh.

At some point, it turns from a game, into work haha, studing moves and frames and percentages. Party mode is much better.

j-wood

I'm at a loss everyone and need some help. GP4 as spring man and I cannot beat match 4 against ninjara. I tried for 3 hours on a plane today no lie. Everytime I'd get him to low health, he'd go fucking super man and just counter my every move and destroy me. I wanted to throw my switch out the window in frustration.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Party Mode is great and kinda brilliant. I promise.

The key is to forget immediately about any kind of semblance of balance or fairness or equity. It's just pure chaos. It's like Fusion Frenzy or something. What makes it confusing is that you do get legit skill-based 1v1s within it, which can kind of temporarily make you forget you're in a hilarious mess of a game mode. But salt has no place here, I assure you.

Once you let go of this notion it's a blast.

In all honesty, I expected Party Mode to be what the entire game would be like. I thought that was the kind of game it was aiming to be. If you'd told me there were Ranked Matches I would have said it was something I would have never touched, and I had no interest. But here I am at Rank 7 and enjoying that too...
I'm at a loss everyone and need some help. GP4 as spring man and I cannot beat match 4 against ninjara. I tried for 3 hours on a plane today no lie. Everytime I'd get him to low health, he'd go fucking super man and just counter my every move and destroy me. I wanted to throw my switch out the window in frustration.
Hmm. What character are you? Have you done GP3?

Party Mode is great and kinda brilliant. I promise.

The key is to forget immediately about any kind of semblance of balance or fairness or equity. It's just pure chaos. It's like Fusion Frenzy or something. What makes it confusing is that you do get legit skill-based 1v1s within it, which can kind of temporarily make you forget you're in a hilarious mess of a game mode. But salt has no place here, I assure you.

Once you let go of this notion it's a blast.

In all honesty, I expected Party Mode to be what the entire game would be like. I thought that was the kind of game it was aiming to be. If you'd told me there were Ranked Matches I would have said it was something I would have never touched, and I had no interest. But here I am at Rank 7 and enjoying that too...

Hmm. What character are you? Have you done GP3?

I would like Party Mode a lot more if I could fairly test out my handicap a lot more often. I still have yet to do a 1v1 with a +3 one, and I've never made it to +4.

Biske

I would like Party Mode a lot more if I could fairly test out my handicap a lot more often. I still have yet to do a 1v1 with a +3 one, and I've never made it to +4.

+4 is a hell of a thing.

Almost won a match like that. Almost. a 1v1

Won a 1v1v1 cause I screwed around long enough lol

So I took some notes from the game explain interviews.

New modes confirmed it seems.

"People who stuck with Helix improved over time and gradually started winning matches."

Hmm...I wonder what online matches the developers have been seeing in order to make that statement.

Why do I feel like my outlying data could've specifically led to that statement?

You can't beat GP4 unless you try to specifically cheese the AI, or you actually use every game mechanic. Once you do, it's easy.

You don't need to beat level 4 single player to play online, just to play ranked.

Chauzu

I love ranked mode in a game like Splatoon.

But in fighting games,its often so uneven, whats the point, and then you get a high rank and then... meh.

At some point, it turns from a game, into work haha, studing moves and frames and percentages. Party mode is much better.

I am competetive by nature, and I want to get better, and best way to get better is learning from those better than you.

Rank system lets you fight better players as you get better so for me it is very rewarding. Can't wait until I get good enough to face the top ranks.

weekev

Banned
Just got to the end credits for the first time. Incredible game. Theme tune has to be one of the catchiest tunes and the end credit remix is phenomenal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I never saw a satisfying conclusion to the Arm Girth Saga earlier and wanted to investigate to the best of my ability. I believe I now have a handle on the systems at play and wanted to share my findings as well as illustrate their direct and indirect impact on the current Meta, citing Lucifer's build as evidence. I will also more generally tie this back to my proposal that ARMS, by and large, exhibits Good Game Design with a lot of polish.

First of all, a disclaimer: you do not need to care about this. If you are just trying to enjoy the game, the handful of frames' worth of discrepancy I'm going to be discussing will have little relevance to your life. This is RIDICULOUSLY complicated, and the devs do not expect the vast majority of players to concern themselves with it.

--

So we all saw this image, I think:
w7WzIg7.jpg

Along with the notion that Arm Girth somehow affected punch speed and rush meter gain rate.

First off I want to clarify a few terms that were easily confused during the initial discussion. I myself didn't choose my words that carefully while I was still trying to grasp it.

• Punch Travel Speed/Velocity - this varies wildly between different Arms, but is identical on the same two Arms across all characters.
  • Maximum Punch Distance - this is the max range a punch extends to before being retracted. If it does not hit anything along the way, any punch thrown will extend to this distance and then stop.
  • Rush Meter Gain Rate - while a punch is traveling through the air, your super meter is building. This is easily demonstrable in a training Vs match. A single punch from a slower Arm (i.e. Megaton) will thus build your super more than a single punch from a faster Arm (i.e. Cracker) because it will have spent longer flying through the air. This is a compromise/balance attempt with regard to Arm selection because faster Arms offer less gain per punch but can be thrown at a higher rate.

So where does Arm Girth come in?

Different characters throwing the same Arms don't have quite the same full thrown-travel-recovery cycle duration, and seem to accrue super at different rates. This doesn't seem possible with an equal max distance and consistent travel speed, but it is- because the hitbox of each Arm is different based on the character equipping it, and the edge of the hitbox is what determines when max distance as reached.

This was difficult to wrap my brain around and I tried forever to come up with an analogy but I honestly think the best thing I can do is create a stupid-ass ASCII diagram. Pretend this shape is an Arm: (##). This shape is that same Arm on another character: (#). This shape is that same arm on another character: (###). The @ symbol is max punch distance (pretend they are exactly aligned vertically please).

(#)---------------------------------------------------@
(###)------------------------------------------------@
(##)--------------------------------------------------@

We're going to throw them all (starting from the left over to the right) at the same time. Throw!

--------(#)-------------------------------------------@
--------(###)----------------------------------------@
--------(##)------------------------------------------@

-------------------------(#)--------------------------@
-------------------------(###)-----------------------@
-------------------------(##)-------------------------@

------------------------------------------------(#)---@
------------------------------------------------(###)@
------------------------------------------------(##)--@

Notice how despite all traveling at the same speed, the largest one hit the target first.

At that point, the Arm retracts, readying it to be thrown again or guard. This slightly increases the rate at which punches can bee thrown continuously over time; it also slightly decreases the time the Arm spent in the air, reducing Rush gain per punch.

So Arm girth impacts the size of the hitbox of a character's Arms, with higher girth being associated with faster recovery speed and lower super gain rate per punch. This was noted in this reddit post:
There is one stat that effects meter gain that varies by character though, and that is Arm Girth. Arm girth affects the size of a characters ARMS, but that size also has an effect on the amount of time it takes an ARM to reach max distance and its total speed. Examples of Triblast on Mummy vs Ninjara:
https://gfycat.com/CooperativeCoordinatedBunny
https://gfycat.com/IcyAltruisticAsianpiedstarling

These clips are not + version arms. Both arms are punched on the same frame, but Mummy's increased arm size makes it reach max distance sooner and retract faster. This means Mummy can block sooner, but has the downside of requiring more punches for him to build a full rush meter. Mummy needs 22 uncharged Triblast punches, while Ninjara only needs 19.

But the story is not quite over. If Arm girth simply determined the hitbox size of any given Arm, then two characters with the same girth would have the same results for all the metrics as described above. Well, I knew that couldn't be exactly the case, because Kid Cobra and Master Mummy have the same, maxed Arm girth- Kid Cobra is just obviously faster to toss out barrages of punches and to gain super than Master Mummy.

So what's the deal? The original reddit post, and this thread on the last page, missed one more variable: Size. Character size impacts the hitbox size of Arms, with larger characters generally having larger hitboxes. Arm girth can be thought of as a way to provide for larger or smaller arms than another character at the same size would otherwise have. Kid Cobra is the ultimate example of this.

I went into training to do some testing.
First of all, the Arms look very similar in size on the two characters:

In fact, when Kid Cobra charges Bubb to buff its size, it honestly looks bigger on him than the bigger (Character Size-wise) Mummy!

However, I think that due to Master Mummy's overall size, the camera is not placed exactly the same behind the two characters, rendering these direct visual comparisons difficult.

I knew that the data wouldn't lie however.

Tossing out uncharged Bubb punches at the same time, Kid Cobra got his Rush in 20, while Master Mummy needed 21. Despite having identical Arm girth, Master Mummy is recovering slightly faster and charging rush slightly slower.

Even more interesting to witness was Phoenix. Phoenix is a much slower moving Arm, and thus builds Rush a lot more per punch. Cobra and Mummy both got their Rush on the 16th throw, but Mummy got his substantially (maybe 1.5 seconds) later.

Kid Cobra is two notches in size below Mummy. I was curious then how two characters of the same size but different Arm girth would match up. So I grabbed Mechanica, kept Mummy and popped on Megaton.

For uncharged Megaton punches, Mechanica got her Rush in 16, while Master Mummy needed 18. So, we can derive that Arm girth is more impactful if size is constant versus size if Arm girth is constant.

And just to finalize everything and remembering the Redditor's original test, I checked Ninjara, who is the same size as Kid Cobra with lower Arm girth. Tossing out uncharged Bubbs, it took 19 punches to gain his super, compared to KC (girthier) with 20 and MM (bigger and girthier) with 21.

So, that mystery solved, let's talk about Lucifer.

---

Check out this match between Lucifer and Jorpen and you'll get what it's all about in a couple of seconds: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/153496878?t=06m22s

He's running dual Bubb and just going nuts, crowding with curved punches and constant pressure. He is almost never NOT throwing a punch, and builds super extremely quickly, because the whiffs are not misses, they are an expected aspect of the build that result in Rush charge. (I don't mean that he's missing on purpose, just that he knows whiffs will have this benefit).

Here are the advantages of this build knowing everything we know now:
  • A character with the highest arm girth in the game, resulting in a large hitbox for any equipped Arm, has been paired with an Arm that increases the size of its hitbox when charged on both hands. As you can see in the screenshot above, Bubb gets absolutely huge on KC when charged.
  • High arm girth means less rush meter per punch, but quicker recovery from each miss- perfect for a build in which you intend to throw relentless nonstop punches, most of which will miss, still building super at an astounding rate.
  • Because Kid Cobra is a character with high arm girth for his Size, he still builds Rush per punch at a higher rate than Master Mummy despite having hitboxes comparable to his, while remaining more difficult to hit.
  • If a character seeks to escape the onslaught of constant punching by actually putting distance between the two combatants, Cobra's slide dash can easily get him to back within Bubb's effective range.

This is honestly a near-perfect ARMS build, drawing (intentionally or otherwise) from nearly every system the game made available to the player. In watching it in action, you can easily see how unskilled or even highly-skilled players just below his ability would be absolutely massacred by the nonstop aggression.

You can easily understand from watching how this playstyle got him to rank 13, and it's only due to the match being hosted by a rank 15 that it's such a spectacle. Lucifer should be proud of this build... and he is. To the tune of not bringing any other ARMS with his loadout, it's just 3 Bubbs, any fight.

So now maybe you're thinking, "okay, so you've just proven Kid Cobra is OP and this build is ridiculous, this is obviously broken, everyone is going to be running this now, nerf it, etc."

Except... Lucifer lost that fight. Jorpen's Min Min was way too much for him to handle unless he panicked, and Jorpen didn't panic. In fact, that Dragon-arm Ram Ram is pretty much a hard counter to Lucifer's Cobra. If not for "that mistake he makes every fucking time" (noting that it was his own fault, not the game's or unfair behavior on the part of his opponent), Jorpen would barely have lost any health in those two rounds.

From a meta perspective, Lucifer's confidence in his build is understandable and it's worth mentioning that the 3 Bubb thing could be seen as an intimidation mind game; why would he do that if he wasn't sure he at least COULD beat me? At the same time, literally sacrificing the opportunity to do a single counterpick may have cost him the chance to beat a rank 15 with a little creativity. Neogaf's very own Dan beat that same Min Min build on this very day.

Anyway, hope this helped.

TL;DR: Arm girth and character size combine to determine Arms hitbox size. Higher hitbox sizes yield slightly faster recovery and slightly lower Rush meter gain per punch, and can block/deflect more. Lower hitbox sizes yield slightly slower recovery and slightly higher Rush meter gain per punch, and are typically found on smaller/tougher-to-hit characters.

Soul Lab

Great post Hawkian. thx for this.
shit is complicated though

But the bird test. why does Mummy get his super later? they both needed 16 punches right? So why in a sudden is KC recovery faster on this arms while it was the other way around using blubb

JonnyKong

Jesus I just had a fight with a Springman in party mode who managed to evade every single one of my punches. I must have hit out about 50 times and he managed to evade every single one.

He's either very lucky or he's insanely good at using the dash button at exactly the right time.

Totakeke

Well the ARM girth stuff feels mostly more like natural differences that evolve out of the underlying system rather than they designed it specifically that way. Like what else would you do, have the bigger ARMS linger longer just so they spend the same time extended?

llehuty

Got an upgraded version of the OT title:

(&#3591;’&#768;-‘&#769;)&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#3591;

Got an upgraded version of the OT title:

(&#3591;’&#768;-‘&#769;)&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#3591;

Need to be longer like this:

(&#3591;’&#768;-‘&#769;)&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#963;&#3591;

jts

...hate me...
Speaking of draws, his happened in a 1v1v1:

6b0ff490b2.jpg

All had less then a bar of health left, down to the last second my bro threw Mechanica just in time to get her health down to ours, it was chaotic and hilarious, and the mind games! I don't like 1v1v1 but this match was amazing.
Dude, didn't the other 2 draw, as you (your bro) only seem to have gotten 1 coin from the match?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great post Hawkian. thx for this.
shit is complicated though

But the bird test. why does Mummy get his super later? they both needed 16 punches right? So why in a sudden is KC recovery faster on this arms while it was the other way around using blubb
It isn't faster at all, Cobra still got his Rush earlier. This was the most interesting test to me actually. Both KC and MM got their Rushes prior to recovery on the 16th punch, but at different times.

You get super gradually the whole time your punch is out. For slower Arms, they're out a lot longer, and give you a lot more super. In this case, it felt like:

Both punches thrown the same time... KC gets super... wait for it... MM gets super... arms return.

So both DURING the very long 16th punch, but Cobra noticeably faster.
Well the ARM girth stuff feels mostly more like natural differences that evolve out of the underlying system rather than they designed it specifically that way. Like what else would you do, have the bigger ARMS linger longer just so they spend the same time extended?
This is right I think- the hitbox size of a character's arms is just one more variable with pros/cons for each character/arm pairing. It's neither a distinct advantage nor disadvantage.

random25

Dammit my flaky internet brought my rank 1 below due to consecutive comm errors. It should not be that punishing especially if I led before the disconnect.

MDave

Dude, didn't the other 2 draw, as you (your bro) only seem to have gotten 1 coin from the match?

It would of said Win, and shown Ninjaras's winning animation, not this zoomed out camera view of all of us. You only get 1 coin when you draw, it dosn't show other players coins gain in Party mode.

Top Bottom