• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Raide

Japan sounds like a really neat place to visit, but I think I'd quickly be overwhelmed by the fact I couldn't read any street signs the way you can in Europe. If you want to know where a Cathedral is in Florence, you can just look for a sign that says "Cathedrale" or something similar. If you want to know where some temple is in Japan, seems like you'd have to know how to decipher moonrunes.

Getting around central Tokyo is pretty easy. All the station signs are in English, plus there is more than enough Tourist Focused leaflets available to find those things.

It is handy to learn some Kanji but only if you intend to stay for a while. The length of time needed to become proficient and comfortable reading them, is was too heavy if you intend on visiting for a week or two.

Also finding Temples is super easy if you head to Kyoto. They are all over the place! Pretty much trip over them!

Zoe

Also finding Temples is super easy if you head to Kyoto. They are all over the place! Pretty much trip over them!

Little tip when you're temple hopping around there: bring 5 yen coins! The first time bf went there with a group he lost soooo much money in offerings because he didn't realize everyone else was just dropping in pennies.

Edit: or maybe it was 500 vs 100 yen coins, can't remember now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There's plenty of fun in just wingin it, but yeah I don't get how after this many months you can't even lock down where to rest after the flight.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I may be in the minority but im gonna suggest go from north/ Chiba/Narita area, to south Aatami, Shizuoka, area...its just so easy and theres so much to do in Tokyo, Yokohama, and you can do a few days in Mt Fuji , and theres an amusement park by Fuji if you are into rollercoasters....buck up and get on the one that puts you in the spinning seats with the straight down drops...omfg even i didnt do that one!

scarlet

Nope. I can't decide. Not like there's isn't going to be any open rooms in the city.

If you like Lost In Translation you should try grand hyatt tokyo, they even have a package for that.

I still have 5 months but already booked few hostels lol

I may be in the minority but im gonna suggest go from north/ Chiba/Narita area, to south Aatami, Shizuoka, area...its just so easy and theres so much to do in Tokyo, Yokohama, and you can do a few days in Mt Fuji , and theres an amusement park by Fuji if you are into rollercoasters....buck up and get on the one that puts you in the spinning seats with the straight down drops...omfg even i didnt do that one!

Fuji-Q?

Sigma722

This is what I will be doing this late November. It'll be my second time in Japan. It'll be awesome.

Whoah, saw this thread pop up again, and didn't realize I'd already posted in it.

Coincidentally I leave for Japan in 2 weeks from tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm going to India for work.

... Busy month ahead.

One more month for me. It'll be my second time in Japan, but this time I'll be spending half my time in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara as well as one night in Hakone for one expensive ass onsen ryokan. Excited and nervous as hell about my planned proposal.

scarlet

One more month for me. It'll be my second time in Japan, but this time I'll be spending half my time in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara as well as one night in Hakone for one expensive ass onsen ryokan. Excited and nervous as hell about my planned proposal.

Just checked the price

Bc0pIV5.gif

Sigma722

At least it includes dinner and breakfast, I suppose... The one I ended up getting cost ¥720. There were quite a few cheaper ones too.

Are you missing a 0?

My wife and I are going all out and staying at a ryokan that is like $800. I said no... And then she saved her allowance and did it anyway. So.... That's something.

Links please.

What i saw was starting from ¥28.700 lol

Are you missing a 0?

My wife and I are going all out and staying at a ryokan that is like $800. I said no. And then she saved her allowance and did it anyway. So.... That's something.

Shit, I meant ¥72,000. Sorry to get your hopes up lol. I mainly decided to spend it for one that looked great and we get our own open air bath since its our anniversary and I plan on proposing while we're staying there. I ended up spending less for the ring than I thought so it kind of evened out.

scarlet

Shit, I meant ¥72,000. Sorry to get your hopes up lol. I mainly decided to spend it for one that looked great and we get our own open air bath since its our anniversary and I plan on proposing while we're staying there. I ended up spending less for the ring than I thought so it kind of evened out.

Lol.
I think i'll end up in public bathhouse

Lol.

There's also Oedo Onsen Monogatri in Odaiba. It wasn't very expensive just for the bath, I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around ¥2,500 to spend as long as you want depending on the time. I spent a whole day there last year just drinking and going to the baths over and over.

hwalker84

If you like Lost In Translation you should try grand hyatt tokyo, they even have a package for that.

I still have 5 months but already booked few hostels lol
Qhich ones? So far I stayed in Hostel Akari in Nagasaki and Fukuoka Hana. Both have been fantastic. The staff at both have been amazing. The first hotel I stayed in while getting over her lag in Tokyo sucks in comparison and was way more expensive.

Superflat say it for me. Try ichiran in Fukuoka, it worth a shot.
Tried Ichiran yesterday in Fukuoka...... Antonio Banderas.gif

histopher

I've been through the thread a few times but I need to ask for myself. Heading to Japan next March/April for 2 weeks. Planning to spend roughly 1 week in Tokyo with the other week split between Osaka/Kyoto.

How many days would we want in Osaka and how many in Kyoto?

Also, any ryokan with hot spring in either of those areas?

Thanks.

hwalker84

I've been through the thread a few times but I need to ask for myself. Heading to Japan next March/April for 2 weeks. Planning to spend roughly 1 week in Tokyo with the other week split between Osaka/Kyoto.

Thanks.

I'll tell you want I think soon. Just got to Osaka.

scarlet

Thanks.

I'm gonna spend my 6 nights (late March) in Kyoto with a quick trip to Osaka and Nara,
Then 5 nights (early April) in Tokyo and the last night going back to Kyoto/Osaka.

If there's a lot GAF going there next Spring, all of us totally shoud've meet there lol

I'm gonna spend my 6 nights (late March) in Kyoto with a quick trip to Osaka and Nara,
Then 5 nights (early April) in Tokyo and the last night going back to Kyoto/Osaka.

If there's a lot GAF going there next Spring, all of us totally shoud've meet there lol

I'm going in mid-April. Going to stay 6 nights in Kyoto with trips to Osaka and hopefully Nara too and then 6 nights in Tokyo.

Probably arriving at the same time as when you're leaving Japan.

Anybody here stayed at the Khaosan Kyoto Guesthouse before?

Yes. I got the oumrice and infinite juice refill that was 1300 then a picture with them was 800. Oh well you only live once and $20 ain't to bad.

Cost me more than that when I checked out the lives at DearStage in Akihabara, and I didn't even order any meals then :p

genjiZERO

Question:

If I wanted to go in May or June and stay for a week or two. How much am I looking to spend (plane ticket, transportation, food fun) approximately? Luckily, I can stay with people for free so I don't have to spend money on room.

Also, backpacking? A road trip from Hokkaido to Kyushu? Sound fun?

Question:

If I wanted to go in May or June and stay for a week or two. How much am I looking to spend (plane ticket, transportation, food fun) approximately? Luckily, I can stay with people for free so I don't have to spend money on room.

Also, backpacking? A road trip from Hokkaido to Kyushu? Sound fun?

Japan is not the ideal place for backpacking. It´s possible but i wouldn´t do it again. Too expensive and not really suited for wandering around. Also hitchhiking is not really common there, but i could be wrong on that.

Anyone else slept in a manga kissa? :D

genjiZERO

Japan is not the ideal place for backpacking. It´s possible but i wouldn´t do it again. Too expensive and not really suited for wandering around. Also hitchhiking is not really common there, but i could be wrong on that.

Anyone else slept in a manga kissa? :D

I have Japanese friends I was thinking about doing it with. Use trains and busses?

If it's not really practical, what's something more outdoorsey to do?

I have Japanese friends I was thinking about doing it with. Use trains and busses?

If it's not really practical, what's something more outdoorsey to do?

Trains and busses are awesome but expensive. Most people use the japan railway pass but if you have a fixed destination and only so much money to spare you might consider the bus as well. Most comfortable and awkwardly silence bus i have ever seen. Link is above. I bought a 3-day pass for 10.000 yen.

Edit:
Lol.

Just ask for a Super Sento then. You won´t see any Yakuzas there for sure. ;) I can recommend the ones in Hirsohima and Kyoto. No idea about Tokyo etc. If you want to go to a really good place you need to visit korea. ^^

genjiZERO

Trains and busses are awesome but expensive. Most people use the japan railway pass but if you have a fixed destination and only so much money to spare you might consider the bus as well. Most comfortable and awkwardly silence bus i have ever seen. Link is above. I bought a 3-day pass for 10.000 yen.

Thanks!

So I'm leaving for Japan Saturday morning. I just found out about pocket wifi(I really should have done more research). Is that something I'll be able to pick up at Narita without any trouble? Or am I screwed because I didn't order one in advance?

scarlet

So I'm leaving for Japan Saturday morning. I just found out about pocket wifi(I really should have done more research). Is that something I'll be able to pick up at Narita without any trouble? Or am I screwed because I didn't order one in advance?

You can still order now if you want.
You just need to fill your data and pick what you want.

Iirc my friend rent his pocket wi-fi at Narita, so there's one.

Top Bottom