• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Will ICS run on a Galaxy S II? I'm getting kinda fed up with the stock music player and some of the other stuff (terrible stock keyboard, music starting out of the blue after entering and leaving my car, ect) but don't want to bother with rooting/ect if a simple upgrade will fix most of the issues :|

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Everything that has leaked about the Nexus Prime so far makes me regret getting a Galaxy SII.

This is not logical behavior.

Husker86

rhfb said:
Will ICS run on a Galaxy S II? I'm getting kinda fed up with the stock music player and some of the other stuff (terrible stock keyboard, music starting out of the blue after entering and leaving my car, ect) but don't want to bother with rooting/ect if a simple upgrade will fix most of the issues :|

If I were to guess I would think the GSII would get ICS eventually. I would not bet on a timely release though. Rooting and installing a custom ROM would obviously be the fastest route. Might as well read up on it when the time comes to see if it's something you want to do.

Samsung is not known for speedy upgrades, I think that has even more weight when their new flagship phone already runs the newer Android version.

Alien Bob

rhfb said:

I'm not sure if it will officially get ICS, and if it does I doubt very much that it will get it before the year ends, but unofficially it'll probably be one of the first phones to get it.

As for your problems, download Smarter Keyboard or any of the other countless keyboards, and Winamp or any of the other countless media players?

Cipherr

Alien Bob said:
Everything that has leaked about the Nexus Prime so far makes me regret getting a Galaxy SII.

A GS2 will run ICS so I wouldnt sweat it. As for the hardware improvements, well Id agree with you there, the GS2 is 7 months old, and should have been out closer to 5-7 months ago TBH. Ridiculous and inexcusable how long it took to get here.

Alien Bob said:

If we always waited for the next big thing, we'd still be on Nokia 3210s.

Well, maybe Nokia 3330. Can't do without WAP.

lunchtoast

Dang, Nexus Prime announcement has been postponed.

http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles...ime-samsung-release-screen-iphone-5-apple.htm

vtk0i.jpg

I JUST JUMPED SHIP.

Now a GS2 user. I have had a Xoom since april, so i am somewhat use to android by now, but the thought of never using an iphone again, since i got one in 07, is weird to me now. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I am going to have to learn to not use itunes now for all my podcasting and more. WHOLE NEW WORLD BABY

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
Oh.

Or you could just make it Corpy.

Where you working on one? Dude.

----

Wow, you can scroll the headers in the ICS music app seperate from the lists. Awesome.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:

----

Wow, you can scroll the headers in the ICS music app seperate from the lists. Awesome.
Oh shit that's awesome!

Husker86

Gamer @ Heart said:
I JUST JUMPED SHIP.

Now a GS2 user. I have had a Xoom since april, so i am somewhat use to android by now, but the thought of never using an iphone again, since i got one in 07, is weird to me now. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I am going to have to learn to not use itunes now for all my podcasting and more. WHOLE NEW WORLD BABY
I am one of the few who like iTunes, if you want to still use it check out iSyncr on the Market.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:

Well yeah. We were talking about it. But I didn't actually start it yet.

Good pick on the title though.

rabhw

So it's pretty clear at this point that there's a Prime out in the wild with someone more than willing to leak APK's instead of just screens/video.

I wish whoever is leaking these would take some better pics of the device itself, JUST TURN IT OVER PLEASE.

Cudder

You guys think that video of Music 4.0 is smooth? I love android but it seems like it runs the same as previous versions. Maybe it needs to be seen on the Prime.

I advise everyone to download PowerAMP 2.0. Looks way cooler, and is a much better functioning music player.

capture2go.jpg

gcubed

ummm, looking at the leaked apk's...

dare i say it... is google keeping a consistent UI throughout their apps? amazing

Chris R

Alien Bob said:
I'm not sure if it will officially get ICS, and if it does I doubt very much that it will get it before the year ends, but unofficially it'll probably be one of the first phones to get it.

As for your problems, download Smarter Keyboard or any of the other countless keyboards, and Winamp or any of the other countless media players?
It comes with swype but swype is pretty terrible (way too cluttered, the space bar is basically non existant. The stock one would be fine if it just offered predictive spellings, but for some reason that doesn't even work. As for the music stuff, I've had issues on my previous phone where having multiple music apps would result in two songs playing at once, one from each app :|

kinggroin

Banned
You know, all this time I thought the open being sloppy, disjointed, unpolished, and a bit janky was simply coppernicus's nod to the android.

Seems I overestimated him.

Alien Bob

Cipherr said:
A GS2 will run ICS so I wouldnt sweat it. As for the hardware improvements, well Id agree with you there, the GS2 is 7 months old, and should have been out closer to 5-7 months ago TBH. Ridiculous and inexcusable how long it took to get here.
Haha, luckily I have had it since its release here in Europeland. :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm kinda sad that gnarly notification LED isn't showing up in any of these leaks.

rozay

Banned
Anyone else think the prime is too big? I was hoping the bottom bezel would be smaller since it has on-screen softkeys, but its still larger than the top bezel. Also in that video of the guy using it, he seemed to have trouble holding it.

SUPREME1

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
So what is everybody's opinion of best phone on Sprint with a keyboard? My wife isn't ready to give up the physical keyboard yet.

My wife and I both have Evo Shifts.

Coud've gone with anything, but both wanted keyboards. Compared to the original Evo, it lacks HDMI, front facing camera, kick stand. None of which we either had a need for in the 8 months we got them.

It's also 800Mhz chip, instead of the 1Ghz... but apparently it's so much more efficient that it's faster? I read that a few places online before getting the phones.

And they have a smaller screen, whihc is just right imo. The original EVO felt so bulky, but maybe I could have gotten used to it.

Their cool, but I'm already wanting something elite like the Nexus Prime or Galaxy S II...

We're happy with them them though... for now.

Alien Bob

rhfb said:
It comes with swype but swype is pretty terrible (way too cluttered, the space bar is basically non existant. The stock one would be fine if it just offered predictive spellings, but for some reason that doesn't even work. As for the music stuff, I've had issues on my previous phone where having multiple music apps would result in two songs playing at once, one from each app :|
yeah, I've had to suffer weird swype-isms too, and sammy's keyboard is shit, which is why I mentioned Smart Keyboard, though there may well be better keyboards in the market. I'm not having any duplicate music issues.

kehs

Banned
kinggroin said:
You know, all this time I thought the open being sloppy, disjointed, unpolished, and a bit janky was simply coppernicus's nod to the android.

Seems I overestimated him.

I'm not sure how to take this.

So I'll take it like a pro.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Also, for tradition (and embarrassment)

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 21,611

User Name Posts
Copernicus 1,420
gcubed 1,328
The Faceless Master 721
Jtwo 567
SimleuqiR 528
Jamesfrom818 401
Ephemeris 375
Bboy AJ 358
Pctx 341
DrFunk 333

Copernicus said:
Look, look, I know it's a little janky, broken up, lacks polish, and not very cohesive, but some of those things had to be pulled back for the next iteration.

When you see the Android |OT2| it's going to blow your mind.
Literature?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Husker86 said:
I know it's a trend for the forum, but is there a specific reason besides just getting something fresh?
Megathreads totaling more than 20,000 posts would tax the bandwidth of the forum excessively. I don't know what situation is with the new servers, but that's what the reason was before.

Chorazin

Cudder said:
You guys think that video of Music 4.0 is smooth? I love android but it seems like it runs the same as previous versions. Maybe it needs to be seen on the Prime.

I advise everyone to download PowerAMP 2.0. Looks way cooler, and is a much better functioning music player.

capture2go.jpg

WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THIS? I love PowerAMP but I don't see a 2.0 update anywhere!

Pctx

Banned
gcubed said:
i spent too much time in this thread apparently.
Well getting the Prime will help with my involvement in this thread a bit more.... I really can't wait to kick the 3GS to the curb.

Copernicus said:
My account wasn't approved until around April.
BEAST MODE = *ON

Cudder

Chorazin said:
WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THIS? I love PowerAMP but I don't see a 2.0 update anywhere!
It's in beta right now, you can get it from their official site. Official 2.0 release sometime in mid October. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom