• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Familienoberhauptvogel
(06-10-2016, 04:08 PM)
Every now and then I'm getting a redirect on mobile that opens a popup that tells me my phone is infected by 4 viruses or so and uses google logos.

I forgot to take a picture last time. It's highly unlikely to be on the phone end since it's brand new.
TsunamiOfSwagger
(06-10-2016, 04:48 PM)
Just got an ad on my iPhone using safari. It was a banner style ad that was at the bottom of the screen, but it blocked the part of the screen where the arrow to go back to the top of the page is. It was there as well as the ad that is normally at the bottom.
I could see the arrow if I pulled the screen up, but because I was already touching the screen, it wouldn't register I was touching it.
Camp Freddie
(06-10-2016, 07:00 PM)
Nice move Evilore. I was very close to rooting my phone so that I could block some pop-up malware ads I was getting on my mobile a couple of weeks back (Your phone contains <blink> viruses </blink> Click here for our malware scanner! etc.)

I've not seen anything bad recently, so I'm glad I can keep browsing safely.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-10-2016, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by mrklaw

I think this is great news. Even with the lengths you are going to to avoid malicious ads, it feels like Canute trying to turn the tide - online ads are just too messed up. Although some of the ads I quite like :)

Speaking purely pragmatically and dispassionately, yes, that's exactly how it's looking and I am not particularly expecting the efforts taken here -- which I expect will significantly improve ad quality as the systems get fully up and running -- to actually address the escalating adblock crisis as far as NeoGAF's concerned. Being an empirically evaluative sort of fellow and looking at the data available, that'd not be the smartest use of a hardcore hellish stretch of time to pivot into focusing intently on, so it's not the motivation for doing all of this. As ad quality on NeoGAF improves with these measures I do obviously appreciate anyone who recognizes that and whitelists, and it should be noted that doing so or not doing so is, at the end of the day, the deciding factor in NeoGAF's continued existence, but I can't control those personal decisions by the community. If the users don't care enough for the site to continue to exist, then should it continue to exist? I'm here for you guys and gals and could've bailed out a long-ass time ago on an extremely comfortable parachute. So it's a two way street, yeah? I'll be sad if a negative outcome happens, and will actively attempt to steer away from one, but I've been doing this thing for more than half my life in one capacity or another; I'm down to play it out to the very end of the road, and I'm full of pride and passion and nostalgia for everything up to this point, as noted in the 100,000,000 retrospective thread the other day, but ultimately it's always going to be as simple as whether the community wants a NeoGAF or not and how that is expressed. I'll keep the options as clear and fair and viable as possible, and then you press a yes button or a no button. Before adblock that was simply either visiting the site (and maybe telling your friends and such) and it thriving, or not visiting it and it dying. In a post-adblock world it has shifted more to whitelisting or eventually optionally Golding to maintain an equitable relationship and a viable community, or using the site inequitably and it ceasing to exist.

Statistics revealed by some top sites apparently show ~1% whitelisting shift when they've politely asked their users to whitelist their non-obnoxious ad footprint after adblock is detected in a clear statement that whitelisting must occur in order to continue to be able to provide their free website to their visitors. That's not an encouraging number. It's just too easy to never look back after pressing that adblock button, which is usually scorched earth internet-wide by default when installed, and it doesn't seem to feel like anything morally questionable to many people to use a free service while disabling the thing keeping it viable, and also much more justifiably felt to be so in response to being served a bad ad somewhere, which changes how the relationship between user and website is going to be evaluated by the user with that adblock button sitting in the top right corner and something malicious hitting. And, of course, as mentioned, it has become increasingly challenging to insulate NeoGAF or any ad-supported website from the decline in ad industry standards.

The rapidly dissolving symbiosis between free ad-supported website and ad-viewing visitor could very well kill the internet as we know it if the ad industry, websites, and internet users don't change the course together, and that'll be a challenge if a critical party like Google doesn't make a move to change some aspect of the status quo pretty soon. I don't want to see an outcome where only, say, 5% of existing ad-supported websites have enough user loyalty and adaptable business structure to stay afloat via paid subscriptions instead, even if NeoGAF could very plausibly be among them. That'd be a shame. Ads can be annoying, definitely, but they're currently vital to facilitate a lively, diverse, risk-taking, low startup-cost internet without every door leading to some kind of paywall instead and likely being dominated by a few big players even more so than it already is.

So yep, no matter what measures I take, and I'm taking all the feasible ones right now, all-in, foregoing E3 and sleep and real life just about 24/7 until it's sorted out to satisfaction, but it very well may not change any outcomes as far as the adblock crisis at all, fully acknowledged. I'm only working with top quality ad partners, having my ad team prioritize ad quality uncompromisingly, and incorporating solutions like the PubNation tech layer this thread is about for monitoring/blacklisting/user reporting of bad ads, all at significant expense and effort; doing everything that can be done on my end, and ad quality should improve by the day, and I'll keep personally handling reports in this thread too. But. Yep. May not matter to the adblock end in the big picture. I'm not doing this with the expectation that it'll reverse adblock uptake on NeoGAF, particularly. Not out of cynicism towards you guys and gals whatsoever; just given the statistics in case studies being as universally dire as they are, and the psychology involved in adblocking being what it plainly is. But hey, NeoGAF could very well be different since it is a community site with the nature of relationship between community host and community visitor/participant not being much like the typical publisher case study. Don't know. No data for a cost:benefit or any such business-minded eval really, so it's just not factoring in through a business-minded angle. A standard corporate entity would, pragmatically, just operate within industry norms for ad quality and then roll out some variant of all the upcoming adblock-bypass tech as it becomes available. That's the pragmatic business choice, but since I'm the sole proprietor with no fiduciary responsibilities, I can just do whatever the hell, which is a lot more fun and can allow for retention of some basic sense of humanity even within the lovely framework of capitalism.

Keeping the ads clean is just part of my mission statement for NeoGAF, and that hasn't changed, nor will it, and so I've taken drastic and comprehensive measures to uphold those goals over the past month of complete business restructuring in order to run the ads in-house, to my specifications, utilizing all the tools at my disposal. Whatever the percentages say about adblock use here (they're really bad percentages...), I can safely assume *all* of you know how to adblock and likely have some variant of such an extension installed, not just that particular overwhelming majority percentage actively using one on NeoGAF right now, so the subsequent assumption is that there are still a lot of people specifically whitelisting NeoGAF out of appreciation, respect, enjoyment of the site, accident, or whatever impetus it may be, so those choices will continue to be acknowledged, and the responsibility will be taken on my end in maintaining the site's integrity and standards across the board 'til such a time as that adblock percentage should start the final steps toward the 100% finish line from the fairly dire mark it's already standing on.

Everyone's working on tools to start an arms race about this crap, of course, and that's going to be a thing you'll notice on a daily basis soon in whatever anti-adblock incarnation gets deployed from website to website from here on out, but I wouldn't feel too fuzzy inside about going all Forbes on NeoGAF users, I don't think, y'know? It just seems like trying to force something that severe, if it gets to being that bad to seem necessary, that I'd probably be concluding in doing so that the users have largely decided that the site isn't really worthwhile enough to exist. I'm here for the community, otherwise I'd bounce from sole proprietorship of NeoGAF and do something else with my time, since it's not out of financial necessity or neurotic compulsion or something. I simply care about the community I've fostered and enjoy shaping it and influencing the video game industry in some positive ways here and there. But it's a two way street still. A two way street of a very explicitly defined nature, though, mind you. You're never, ever getting some slimy donation bar to fill at the top of the screen every month or any such nonsense, because I run NeoGAF as a business, on my own terms, as a necessary component of its identity and in being an uncompromising extension of myself on some level. I can cope with offering an option to equitably subsidize the ad model in response to widespread very vocal requests for the option and in being able to personally relate to preferring a token subscription fee over ubiquitous ads for a service I use regularly, though reluctantly (I never wanted to take money from my community after the initial gracious mini crowdfund to start it in 2004...sigh...), but I'm not going to go all fucking stretch goal on you, no offense to the people who utilize that sort of model; well, maybe some offense, whatever. NeoGAF is basically me and my stubbornness and values in website form, expressed through its vibrant community. Out of whichever of those aspects ended up being the deciding factors in NeoGAF thriving as it has and becoming the biggest video game forum, I'll leave up to you to determine, but beyond that I'll only point to all the former competitors, dead or dying, that typically sold out to big corporate, had leadership go absentee out of complacency or fatigue or straight up inability to cope with how crazy this job actually is long-term (who else has been hands-on running an enormous forum by themselves independently for this long now? yeesh, I'd like to see *their* psych eval to compare), or changed their values in whatever way that changed their site's identity along with it. Hate me or...hate me (I think those are the two options insofar as social media indicates), I just stick to my original plan, let it evolve a little over time as I go all Old Man as the years fly by, and see what happens.

As such, I'll continue both systematically and personally addressing all the ad quality concerns I can to make up for the ad industry's fuckups, work on a Gold option as an equitable alternative to the ad-based model for those who prefer that route, roll out all the slated updates and refinements for 2016 overall as they are completed, and keep NeoGAF NeoGAF, as ever. I'll make the user parameters a little clearer now that the choices and consequences are a little more complicated than they used to be as far as the site's life or death, but it'll still just be me making a website (with a bunch of amazing people volunteering or contracting every day to help realize it all and implementing my blueprints, without whom nothing much would work as intended), no donations, no begging, but also no transparency, and no committee, all so that it remains NeoGAF. If you're on the fence, though, I suggest reading Youtube comments for a few hours.

Anyhow, while I may make the decisions here, and that doesn't involve a committee and never will, no offense, you're the one that presses a yes or no button afterwards, and that's the real existential decision. After all this unacceptable ad garbage gets cleaned up and so forth to the extent currently possible and a likely Gold option introduced and so on and the choices are unambiguous, press the button that suits you and I'll sort out the rest.

Back to looking for these bad ads being reported here and deploying and bugfixing more new tech to get fully operational. Cheers.
PtM
(06-10-2016, 07:26 PM)
Your dedication certainly is something.
TheChaos0
(06-10-2016, 09:54 PM)
Respect, EviLore. Respect.
Wowfunhappy
(06-10-2016, 10:03 PM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

I will not compromise the site's philosophies though and I have no intention of paywalling any features behind such a solution or altering any elements of the visible social hierarchy etc.

Would that include https support? Since I know that was mentioned earlier.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-10-2016, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy

Would that include https support? Since I know that was mentioned earlier.

One of the most important benefits of this major pivot to fully in-house solutions for our advertising after several years of externally managed partnership, despite the extreme challenge of building our solutions back from the ground up with very few relationships still intact after being solo for the first time in years (among many other challenges considering the overall indie nature of NeoGAF)?

One that *really* meant a lot to me to get back on the table without involving a paywall, because fuck paywalling features, and I'll stay rigid on that even though 70% of users are adblocking right now and therefore I don't really know why I'm still so stubborn at this point, but fuck it anyway, I'll stay true to my philosophies for the site regardless of that, at least while there is still a site to have stubborn philosophies for running?

NeoGAF getting its ad solutions fully in-house = HTTPS/SSL being possible to turn on site-wide as originally intended, for free, for everyone, while still serving ads.

I can't flip the switch right this second as I'm still sorting out our ad solutions stack and each company has a different % of currently https-compliant campaigns, and with adblock being what it is right now I can't really tank revenue even further by turning on SSL and potentially losing a big % of available campaigns that aren't compliant yet, but all of our current ad solutions are 100% https-compliant in terms of the technology side and are all working toward getting their advertisers shipping only fully https-compliant campaigns as fast as possible. The general target in the industry seems to be end of 2016 to be realistically viable for a site reliant on ad-support to flip the switch without evaporating revenue, since enough ads will be compliant by then. It may be faster than that or slower than that and I'll have to assess viability on an ongoing basis before determining when it's viable, but it's happenin', period.
Dennis
Banned
(06-10-2016, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Evilore

After all this unacceptable ad garbage gets cleaned up and so forth to the extent currently possible and a likely Gold option introduced and so on and the choices are unambiguous, press the button that suits you and I'll sort out the rest.

Stealth GAF Gold announcement?
Subpar Scrub
(06-10-2016, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Dennis

He's trying to pretend it doesn't exist. Like Sony at E3 when 60% of their announcements leak. Worst kept secret confirmed.

I'll stay rigid on that even though 70% of users are adblocking right now.

Wow that's shit. I've never understood why, the ads aren't very intrusive overall.
Zombine
(06-11-2016, 05:10 AM)
I find myself feeling confident clicking the ads now. Most of them are pertinent to my interests and are relatively convenient. I get Comixology deals that take me to the site nicely, and Amazon recommendations based on things I've viewed recently. It'll cycle though Amazon/Comixology/Golf and tends to stay on that.

Michigan Freemasons have tried to recruit me for their evil middle aged man NWO schemes though. They do look very content so I may join.
j0hnny_385
(06-11-2016, 06:32 AM)
70% gaffers are adblocking? :o

Oh come the fuck on people! >(

Are we talking actual registered users or any visitor in general? Same thing for ad folks, I know, but still...
I hope at least the registered folks whitelist GAF. :(
This is fucking depressing. Keep up the good fight, Great Leader™!
Christoff Yurievich
(06-11-2016, 06:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Dali

It's not really a "bad ad" issue but on mobile the bottom ads seem to annoyingly take the focus so instead of loading and displaying the top of a page, it'll load then quickly jump to the bottom of the page to show me the ad.

This is also happening in IE11. Yeah, I know, but I'm stuck with the program at work and can't install anything. I'll open a thread in the background and when I get to the tab I'm staring at the ad on the bottom of the page.
Danj
(06-11-2016, 07:02 AM)

As part of comprehensive measures being taken to keep ad quality standards at the highest possible level for NeoGAF and maintain a safe and fast browsing experience for everyone, I've deployed tech that will monitor all the ad tags, desktop and mobile, for non-compliant ad activity to proactively block bad ads, and we're also rolling out a user-reporting feature attached to each ad unit that, if you personally encounter a bad ad that breaches the first line of defense, you'll be able to easily report any bad ad you encounter to NeoGAF's ad team for investigation and takedown.

On the basis of this, I have actually whitelisted neogaf.com in my adblocker for the first time in a long time (plugins are still click to play though). I'm happy to support the site by allowing ads but previously they have been very problematic, I am hopeful this new system will improve that.
Dennis
Banned
(06-11-2016, 07:33 AM)

I hear no denials.
PtM
(06-11-2016, 10:02 AM)

Only if your reading comprehension is lacking. He mentions it in every other post in this thread.
Yankee Ruin X
(06-11-2016, 10:27 AM)
Just got the Uber ad, I'm in the UK on the latest iOS if that helps any.

Edit Not sure why I can't post a screenshot of it sorry
Last edited by Yankee Ruin X; 06-11-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Binabik15
(06-11-2016, 10:30 AM)
Just got the YOUR WHATSAPP IS EXPIRING redirect that I haven't seen for weeks (on android). Trying to get back got an attempt to load a "monetize xyz" site, then aome Telekom shit, then the Whatsapp again unril I killed the tabs. Yay. Not a chance to report that add, of course.
PtM
(06-11-2016, 10:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Yankee Ruin X

Just got the Uber ad, I'm in the UK on the latest iOS if that helps any.

Edit Not sure why I can't post a screenshot of it sorry

Because you need to embed the direct file link.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-11-2016, 10:45 AM)
More of this Uber crap is showing up?! I disabled 100+ Uber ad campaigns the other day. Okay, they're getting full domain blocked; clearly demonstrated intent to disregard ad compliance policies and do whatever they want, which...sounds like Uber, actually.
Yankee Ruin X
(06-11-2016, 11:01 AM)

Originally Posted by PtM

Because you need to embed the direct file link.

Thanks for sorting that I couldn't figure how to do it on mobile usually I just copy some bb code or something like that and it works, sorry not very clued up on these things.
PtM
(06-11-2016, 11:06 AM)

Thanks for sorting that I couldn't figure how to do it on mobile usually I just copy some bb code or something like that and it works, sorry not very clued up on these things.

You hold the finger over the image and go "copy". :)
But I feel you, mobile web imgur doesn't even have upload functionality.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-11-2016, 11:13 AM)
Confirmed that Uber launched a second round of malicious ads through Google, this time targeting the US market. 50+ clearly malicious ads identified and disabled, and ripped out the benign looking ones too for good measure. Those fuckers.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(06-11-2016, 11:15 AM)

Originally Posted by j0hnny_385

70% gaffers are adblocking? :o

Oh come the fuck on people! >(

Are we talking actual registered users or any visitor in general? Same thing for ad folks, I know, but still...
I hope at least the registered folks whitelist GAF. :(
This is fucking depressing. Keep up the good fight, Great Leader™!

This is surprising as most ads are benign and positioned well out of distracting view. Maybe it's a natural byproduct of simoly having Adblock installed? Maybe displaying the 'please whitelist us' message would help more on Gaf because posters here are more engaged but they honestly didn't know they were blocking or that they could easily unblock a single site?

Worth a try I think.
Frodo
(06-11-2016, 12:07 PM)
That's a great tool. Glad it is being implemented, although I rarely run into bad ads.

Since I use different browsers for porn.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(06-11-2016, 12:21 PM)

Confirmed that Uber launched a second round of malicious ads through Google, this time targeting the US market. 50+ clearly malicious ads identified and disabled, and ripped out the benign looking ones too for good measure. Those fuckers.

You'd expect Google or whatever ad platform to have some guidelines and penalties in place. At least the larger companies might avoid malicious practices if they risk being excluded from the platform as penalty
caramac
(06-11-2016, 01:57 PM)
More Uber crap (UK). Screen cap from about 30min ago

EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-11-2016, 02:15 PM)

Originally Posted by mrklaw

You'd expect Google or whatever ad platform to have some guidelines and penalties in place. At least the larger companies might avoid malicious practices if they risk being excluded from the platform as penalty

Yes, that would be a perfectly reasonable expectation to have, I agree.

Originally Posted by caramac

More Uber crap (UK). Screen cap from about 30min ago

All of those are showing as blocked already, strange.
PtM
(06-11-2016, 02:31 PM)

All of those are showing as blocked already, strange.

Dunno about your infrastructure, but could be cache shenanigans.
missile
(06-11-2016, 05:13 PM)
Thx for dimming. :+
Flambe
(06-12-2016, 12:11 AM)
Thanks for the hard work and giving a shit Evilore, we are in good hands. Kinda amazed at 70% though, yeesh. I get the appeal of zero ads of course but at the expense of losing the damn site? gtfo
Jebusman
(06-12-2016, 12:53 AM)
It never seems to be desktop ads that give me any problems, but boy are the mobile ads real bad.

I'd say one out of every 10 times I load a page on Neogaf I get hit with a redirect that becomes impossible to "Back" out of. Most common one i see is always a redirect to "gamesandapp.pw" or something.
EdwardTeach
Banned
(06-12-2016, 01:40 AM)
Evilore how does a site generate money from adds. Is it only from click-thrus or is it per ad on the displayed?

Good luck with the subscription plans. I already subscribe to the patron of several gaming sites. In the UK we get most of our decent TV and radio and Internet content ad-free (but with an annual subscription) via the BBC, and I think that shapes what we expect.
Bamelin
Banned
(06-12-2016, 07:20 AM)
Just got that same google "you have a virus ad" I've been getting for 2 months now since switching from Windows to Android.

It locks phone with full screen redirect to a page telling you you've got virus.

Edit: I'll take a screen next time it happens. Basically it's a full page screen that says 'YOU HAVE A MELICIOUS VIRUS', and phone vibrates. I have to shut down Samsung browser to get rid of it.
Last edited by Bamelin; 06-12-2016 at 07:30 AM.
The Dutch Slayer
(06-12-2016, 09:07 AM)
Thanks EviLore for all your effort to keep us save but also just to have a great user experience.

Seriously thanks for typing this all up.
70% ??? REALLY man I thought this website would have a very low % of people with adblock :(
I have never used one, or ever installed one.
But did come across a few strange ads in the past few months on mobile so will report them if I see them again.
Nokterian
always look on the bright side of STRIFE
...and LOL
...and DOTA2
(06-12-2016, 09:17 AM)
70% use adblock here? I am at shock how despiteful people are i never use adblock i never did really and never will since you need to eat and maintain a website so i let all ads come to and i don't care. A shame so many people do use adblock for a one man website and they do not know how much work went into it.
stan423321
(06-12-2016, 01:46 PM)
I've stumbled upon a redirect ad. Has something to do with PLL LOT though not sure if officially associated with them. Cannot report it since it redirects. Desktop.

Got the link. ...

Am I supposed to PM it somewhere?
Last edited by stan423321; 06-12-2016 at 01:54 PM.
SephiZack
(06-12-2016, 06:26 PM)
Sometimes on mobile, when I load neogaf it opens a popup page saying the usual "you have viruses blablabla" stuff and if I try to close it, it keeps reappearing until I quickly close neogaf

Next time I'll take a screenshot
diaspora
(06-12-2016, 09:27 PM)
Aaryn, it's happening.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-12-2016, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by stan423321

I've stumbled upon a redirect ad. Has something to do with PLL LOT though not sure if officially associated with them. Cannot report it since it redirects. Desktop.

Got the link. ...

Am I supposed to PM it somewhere?

You can always PM me a manual bad ad report, or use this thread as a temporary solution for manual reporting. As a top priority I'm trying to get a handle on locking down all of this redirect garbage especially that seems to still be hitting mobile as per the reports coming in here, since it's among the most common type of malicious ad and pretty jarring in terms of compromising browsing experience even if it can't do the same potential proper "harm" in mobile environments that it can sometimes in desktop environments (like in the good ol' days of visiting a website that loads a popup that redirects itself to your browser downloading a virus exe, phew, even plugging in your ethernet cable on a fresh OS install was harrowing..).

Side note: fucking popup ads. Back when you couldn't do much to prevent them from loading and browsers didn't have integrated solutions and so on, understand that the websites that had them were making a conscious, straightforward cost:benefit determination in doing so, intentionally tanking user experience and potential traffic growth/retention over time, but to a ludicrous instant increase in ad revenue. IIRC I was getting offers back then of guaranteed CPMs on implementing a popup ad placement that would have resulted in literally 25x revenue increase per pageview on NeoGAF, maybe more toward 50x in the early and dire Adsense-only days. But for a non-forum site it would've typically been more like 2x or 3x; still more than enough for tons of sites to make that choice. Even if you have a unique selling point for your site, though, and people end up tolerating it and continue to visit out of necessity/usefulness, for fuck's sake, there's a reason it was eventually officially classified as malicious and automatically disabled by web browsers. Don't intentionally serve malicious shit to your users, regardless of the math. :| And yet here we are in 2016, Google now encouraging mobile sites to activate interstitials, which are firmly in the same category as popups as far as I'm concerned. The ad industry...

Anyway, all of the currently reported stuff in this thread is coming through Google's platform, far as I can tell. They're the biggest internet ad provider by far and have so many "partner networks" as potential weak links that aren't seemingly kept in check too proactively, so while at this time, even with our other ad solutions in place as part of a dynamic stack of quality providers, being a forum means we have a bad ratio of users to pageviews compared to most sites, and so just the premium curated ad platforms running can't fill out the the majority of our ad space (as mentioned, already compromised severely as it is by ad blocking currently), so Google's ad platform, which is the best solution available by far for filling out that giant gap, is not something that I can just turn off completely, or I would just drop it from the pool if it addressed these remaining ad issues being reported as I could with any of the other companies. It'll require some finesse, instead, gathering the new ad monitoring data and reports and such so that we can get Google's thousands of opt-in/opt-out toggles manually set to a profile that emphasizes only the safe parts of their system and discard the rest -- a NeoGAF Profile, I suppose -- since these things aren't exactly labeled "vulnerable and unsafe" or "safe" within the system; it's all just a big-ass opaque list. Very, very few websites care about ad quality standards beyond the broad strokes or divergences from internet norms that might impact traffic or revenue significantly, too, and so we're dealing with an opaque system with tremendous customization potential...but no information available either within the system or as reported by any major websites in order to actually perform a customization of it to our standards. Gotta gather info on our own first, but that should help plug the remaining holes, though it will also mean another hit to ad revenue with each element disabled. Is what it is.

Ad quality/safety should have already improved considerably now, though, with the new monitoring/blacklist tech, the addition of a proactive NeoGAF ad team monitoring the ads for quality and malicious activity, and the shift to a tightly curated in-house ad stack, all live now, instead of continuing to use a third party setup conforming to current "industry standards" like we had been doing for the past few years, and I hope those measures to improve ad quality so far are reflected in personal experiences here by the users.

Keeping on it until our ad solutions are confidently as safe as they can be, since there is still a lot more to do beyond just the initial rollout. And while the measures taken so far are extremely aggressive and done at considerable expense, getting to "far above average" isn't inherently good enough if the standards internet-wide have decreased as sharply as they have, so we'll continue targeting my standards, not any comparative one, for you whitelisters out there.

Thanks for your patience throughout this process, and look forward to a host of improvements throughout 2016, not just on the ad quality front.
Aurongel
(06-13-2016, 05:30 AM)
Forgive me if this has been addressed already but I'm experiencing ads on Desktop pulling the browser's focus and scrolling either to the top of the page or the bottom of the page as it loads. I had a similar instance of this happen with the mobile version of the site but the consensus there seemed to be that ads with form fields were the cause of focus pulls.

I activated AdBlock for a little bit (honest) and the issue seemed to go away. When I switched it back on I started getting the issue again with a whole myriad of different ads. Very strange.
Christoff Yurievich
(06-13-2016, 06:02 AM)
Oh good, I'm not the only desktop user with that problem.
Yankee Ruin X
(06-13-2016, 08:10 AM)
Got this ad just now and couldn't close it without being taken to the App Store, in the UK.

studyguy
(06-13-2016, 08:37 AM)
Literally any video ad on mobile for me is absolutely stopping the site for me. I don't even go to the bottom of pages if I can avoid it now.
kavanf1
(06-13-2016, 10:39 AM)
Screenshots of the ad that locks up my phone and forces me to shut down the browser to get out of it:

Last edited by kavanf1; 06-13-2016 at 10:51 AM.
PtM
(06-13-2016, 12:14 PM)

Originally Posted by kavanf1

Screenshots of the ad that locks up my phone and forces me to shut down the browser to get out of it:

Google won't give you the image URL, try abload.de or imgur.com.

Originally Posted by Aurongel

Forgive me if this has been addressed already but I'm experiencing ads on Desktop pulling the browser's focus and scrolling either to the top of the page or the bottom of the page as it loads. I had a similar instance of this happen with the mobile version of the site but the consensus there seemed to be that ads with form fields were the cause of focus pulls.

I activated AdBlock for a little bit (honest) and the issue seemed to go away. When I switched it back on I started getting the issue again with a whole myriad of different ads. Very strange.

Either right-click the ads and get their link address or, failing that, screenshot them.

At least in Firefox, you can also look for the ad URL when viewing the "page elements" or something (Ctrl+i, I think).
Last edited by PtM; 06-13-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Dr Frasier Crane
(06-13-2016, 12:45 PM)

Got this ad just now and couldn't close it without being taken to the App Store, in the UK.

Getting this one all the time too. iOS Safari.
Zutroy
(06-13-2016, 01:12 PM)

Yup, got this too. Couldn't even get to the report button in time before it takes over.
Grimm Fandango
(06-13-2016, 01:32 PM)
Seems like the top page ad loads in the blank space 3 times before showing itself. It throws off where you click on a thread because it keeps pushing the threads downward.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(06-13-2016, 01:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Grimm Fandango

Seems like the top page ad loads in the blank space 3 times before showing itself. It throws off where you click on a thread because it keeps pushing the threads downward.

Yeah, incredibly irritating