• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ColdPizza
Banned
(01-11-2017, 02:31 PM)
I guess Amazon and Chase just came out with another credit card for Prime members that offers 5% back.

This is 2% better than if you had just the normal Amazon Rewards card through Chase.

https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/re...3a88a96da3422&

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/new...-rewards-visa/

The good news is, if you already have the Amazon Rewards card and are a Prime member, you will be upgraded automatically. I checked on my card in my manage payment options of my Amazon account to check and saw that it's already been upgraded.

If you don't have the card and want it, you'll have to be a Prime member and will get a $70 gift card as a sign up bonus. No annual fee. I don't work for Amazon or Chase.
Drifters
(01-11-2017, 02:33 PM)
So this 1% cash back on everything huh? May have too look at this.
infiniteloop
(01-11-2017, 02:34 PM)
Nice, do you get sent a new card?

Edit: not upgraded yet.
Darryl M R
(01-11-2017, 02:34 PM)
How long will this be open? I might look into this later in the year. That basically makes everything tax free again for me.
Amory
(01-11-2017, 02:36 PM)
Hm. I have the regular card and I'm a prime member...doesn't seem to have automatically upgraded me.
Jazzy Network
(01-11-2017, 02:37 PM)
Nice! I was thinking about getting the Amazon Store card for the 5% but I already have the Chase Amazon card and have been holding out. Good thing I did! When does the 5% start? I know it says I will be mailed a new card but my benefits will kick in on the old card. Unless I missed that part?
djplaeskool
(01-11-2017, 02:37 PM)
Yup, mine shows 5% back now.
Proteus
BOSS
(01-11-2017, 02:38 PM)
I wonder if this will apply to Canada.
Grover Cleveland
(01-11-2017, 02:40 PM)
Can confirm that my card has been upgraded

Another metal card eh?

Cool that Chase brought the cash back % to parity with the Amazon Store Card (through Synchrony), looks like you still can't transfer those Amazon Rewards to the Ultimate Rewards program (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve) tho
Last edited by Grover Cleveland; 01-11-2017 at 03:10 PM.
LumpOfCole
Cereal Killer
(01-11-2017, 02:41 PM)
How easy is it to manage the card? It would be ideal to add it to my Bank of America app but i at least want to make sure transferring funds is straightforward on either the site or on mobile.
burgerdog
(01-11-2017, 02:43 PM)
Upgraded, awesome. Now I don't have to switch orders around depending on which card has 5% back.
ColdPizza
Banned
(01-11-2017, 02:44 PM)

Originally Posted by infiniteloop

Nice, do you get sent a new card?

Edit: not upgraded yet.

I haven't received anything yet. I believe the card just came out today.
The Last Wizard
(01-11-2017, 02:44 PM)
I'm not sure if I've been upgraded but when I checked the website the other day the name of the card was different.
PeskyToaster
(01-11-2017, 02:45 PM)
is the Amazon card a good first card? I'm only on a debit card right now but I'm looking at cards and I use amazon all the time.
Lord_Balkan
(01-11-2017, 02:46 PM)
Where can we check that our card has been upgraded?
blAAAm!!!
ive had this card for 4+ years already. I use it on everyday items purchases and pay it off at the end of the month. This %5 on amazon purchases is awesome!
Massicot
Looks like I'm upgraded. I doubt a new card is needed since it's a digital storefront but I'll keep an eye on the mail anyways.
ColdPizza
Banned

Originally Posted by PeskyToaster

is the Amazon card a good first card? I'm only on a debit card right now but I'm looking at cards and I use amazon all the time.

if you shop alot on amazon, sure. plus you'll get 2% back on gas, restaurants, and drug stores.
Astarte
How's the Amazon card? I'm mildly curious about it but I've heard wildly different things about the previous one.
Bluth54
(01-11-2017, 02:47 PM)
I order so much stuff on Amazon that I should probably sign up for one of these.
Ron Mexico
On the Amazon side, it's showing the 5%. However on the Chase side, it's still showing 3%. I imagine it's just a matter of updating their site?
Struct09
Awesome, my card was upgraded
Horns
(01-11-2017, 02:48 PM)
I was thinking the other day about signing up. If they offered one of those deals where you got an Echo for spending a couple thousand over the first few months, I would sign up today.
kirblar
(01-11-2017, 02:49 PM)
I literally applied for the Amazon-Only Synchrony card a week ago due to it offering 5% and was going to stop using my Chase one. Now I don't have to, AND I have a free $50 giftcard. Things worked out! (My card was upgraded, it's showing on Amazon but not on Chase's website yet)
ColdPizza
Banned
(01-11-2017, 02:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Horns

I was thinking the other day about signing up. If they offered one of those deals where you got an Echo for spending a couple thousand over the first few months, I would sign up today.

well, you'll get a $70 gift card that you can put towards one, and you don't have to spend anything.
PsychoSoldier
(01-11-2017, 02:51 PM)
I was getting this perk through the Store Card offered by Synchrony but I'd rather use my Chase one so this is nice.

Getting 2% back on restaurants is also nice.
vypek
(01-11-2017, 02:52 PM)
Automatic upgrade is exactly what I wanted to hear since I didn't want to apply for a new card. Awesome. Will have to check that my card has upgraded.
ColdPizza
Banned
(01-11-2017, 02:52 PM)

Originally Posted by PsychoSoldier

I was getting this perk through the Store Card offered by Synchrony but I'd rather use my Chase one so this is nice.

Getting 2% back on restaurants is also nice.

Also, no foreign transaction fee anymore
ElMexiMerican
(01-11-2017, 02:53 PM)
Glad to hear this is an automatic upgrade. Just checked and it was already changed for me.
cackhyena
(01-11-2017, 02:54 PM)
Niiiice.
SoapNickTavish
Just updated mine in the manage payments section, thanks for the heads up. Love the free money, between this card and my Discover It one.
Heysoos
I got upgraded :)
Hindl
Sweet I have the Prime card already. Sucks though I just spent $300 on Amazon, but that's just $6.00 extra I guess. It looks like this is the old card extended. When I first signed up for the old card it was 5% back for your first year on Amazon, then it reverted to 3%. Now it looks like they're just making 5% permanent.
2real4tv
(01-11-2017, 02:55 PM)

Originally Posted by blAAAm!!!

ive had this card for 4+ years already. I use it on everyday items purchases and pay it off at the end of the month. This %5 on amazon purchases is awesome!

Probably stupid question by if you pay it off at end of the month do you still accrue interest?
vwnut13
Do I have to order with a Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Credit Card through through Amazon Alexa with Amazon Prime to get a good deal now?
dantevsninjas

Originally Posted by 2real4tv

Probably stupid question by if you pay it off at end of the month do you still accrue interest?

No, you only accrue interest on balances you carry over to the next month.

Just checked and mine was automatically upgraded.
The Albatross
(01-11-2017, 02:56 PM)
Oh wow, I've had the existing Amazon Rewards Card from Chase that gave 3% (Amazon), 2% (Gas, groceries, food), and 1% (everything) points. Will have to see if I can transition to this.

As a Prime member & Amazon holder, hopefully I get upgraded for free already...
Where do you check if you got upgraded?

Aah, looks like I have it.

I wonder if they'll send a new card... the black one looks cool.
Last edited by The Albatross; 01-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.
j-wood
How do I check if I've been upgraded? I'm a prime member and I've had the amazon rewards visa for years.
M-PG71C
I love my Amazon Chase card and now I love it even more. There is no reason for me to switch around my cards when someone else offers 5% now, I can just leave it.

But the 2% you always get back on gas stations, restaurants, and pharmacies with 1% back on everything else truly makes it, IMO, one of the best rewards credit cards out on the market. I've been automatically upgraded from the Amazon side, just need to see it on the Chase side now. And they just added no foreign transaction fees to the card too, it is one helluva a card.
reKon
(01-11-2017, 02:57 PM)
Well this is unexpected. I've never had an Amazon card. I think that I definitely need to go apply for this today. I have a credit card that I never use from my credit union in school, a chase freedom unlimited, chase shappire, and Business AMEX for work. So I technically only have the first three cards that affect my credit score. This one seems like a great addition just for those Amazon purchases. Would be nice to be able to apply this to the Switch preorder.
2real4tv
(01-11-2017, 02:58 PM)

Originally Posted by dantevsninjas

No, you only accrue interest on balances you carry over to the next month.

Just checked and mine was automatically upgraded.

How do they make money then? Whats the catch?
Heysoos
(01-11-2017, 02:59 PM)

Tons of people carry balances.
ActStriker
(01-11-2017, 03:00 PM)
Mine hasn't upgraded, but my prime account is through my father so maybe there's a hangup there.

Not everyone pays off their balance every month.
vypek

Probably from increased spending on the actual site since people want that 3% or 5% back and that there are plenty of people who will carry over the balance they have to the next month.
Flux
My main credit card is already an Amazon rewards card. Pretty good bonus for myself.
Ron Mexico
(01-11-2017, 03:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Heysoos

They also get a cut of every card transaction-- the merchant will pay for processing and some will go to Visa/MC/whatever and some to the provider.
OrbitalBeard
(01-11-2017, 03:02 PM)
I use Amazon all the time and I'm a Prime member. I think I'm going to jump on this. I've been meaning to stop using my debit card for everyday purchases and just put everything on a credit card and pay off the balance every month. My wife and I are very responsible with money, so I'm not concerned about keeping a balance and paying interest. Good idea?
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(01-11-2017, 03:04 PM)
I need this upgrade!

Originally Posted by Heysoos

Originally Posted by ActStriker

Not everyone pays off their balance every month.

And retailers are charged fees when you shop.
vypek

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

I use Amazon all the time and I'm a Prime member. I think I'm going to jump on this. I've been meaning to stop using my debit card for everyday purchases and just put everything on a credit card and pay off the balance every month. My wife and I are very responsible with money, so I'm not concerned about keeping a balance and paying interest. Good idea?

Definitely. This is what I do currently. Most of my shopping is done through Amazon. Bought a ton of Christmas presents just through my points I earned last year. This will be even better this year. If you are paying off your balance every month I don't see a downside to using this card when you are already on Amazon all the time as a Prime member.
Lexxism

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

Yes. As long as you don't pay any interest on it. You are good to use the credit as debit.