• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Toa TAK
Ask me about Thor 2: The Darck World
(05-11-2017, 04:37 AM)
Toa TAK's Avatar

Directed by: Ridley Scott (run, hide, pray).
Written by: John Logan
Score by: Jed Kurzel
Release Date: May 19, 2017 except for FRANCE because they didn’t get the memo!

Welcome to the SPOILER THREAD where spoilers can be read unmarked. So unless you want to prove to the rest of the world here you can't read, please refrain from using spoiler tags.


Fans of the Alien series have never been more united by the feeling of apathy since the news of this film’s development have hit day one. So what’s there to say about this series at this point? I mean, really. You’ll never get anything as good as the first two, and at this point it’s been a consistent serving of sloppy seconds. Sloppy. Seconds. When Prometheus is supposedly the third best the bar is very low. Loooooooow. But at least we got The Fassbender as David and Noomi Rapace giving the greatest abortion scene put to the sliver screen (I guess).

Ridley Scott strikes again to muddle the Alien mythos with another story in the Alien universe. This time a sequel to the prequel to the original Alien film. The crew of The Covenant unknowingly land on the Engineer’s home planet to colonize, but instead find themselves in the world’s worst game of hide and seek. The Prometheus sequel is set to return to scares and muddy whatever was set up in the film prior. Still better than the Alien vs Predator films, though.




Escaping fantastic beasts

Beware, you might be seeing double.

I’d do the rest but they’re all expendable and not worth my time. Plus, I’m not smart enough to work in a Dr. Manhattan joke for Billy Crudup.

Originally Posted by Skinny Pete

Will it have scientists as dumb as the 2 morons in Prometheus?

Originally Posted by AniHawk

Originally Posted by jett

Giant albino jesus is still a thing.

do we know for sure that it will explicitly tie into exodus?

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

It really is going to be about space Jesus again.

Which one is Judah??

Originally Posted by Staccat0

Originally Posted by Capra

Dear Ridley Scott,

Please stop trying to shoehorn Space Jesus into Alien. Also, please stop trying to recreate the success of the original by literally recreating pieces of the original.

Sincerely,
Every Alien Fan

PS just make a different sci-fi movie

Originally Posted by Robot Pants

Pointless.
This looks like another flop in the series, but honestly nothing can possibly be worse than Prometheus.

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Getting hyped for a new Alien movie after Prometheus happened

what are ya doing, brehs

Originally Posted by Psychoward

I've watched every single Alien movie in existence and I'm still not sure what a space jockey is lol

Originally Posted by Inceptional

Can't fucking wait for this! I hated Prometheus when I saw it opening night but it's aged like a fine wine and now stands as one of my favorite science-fiction films ever made.









Hi, I’m John Milton and I’ve come to the future to ask all of western society to stop diluting my poem. Also, I---what??

Oh hey John Milton, I’m just crashing in to ask if anyone making bad sci-fi movies or Biblical epics even read your poem or the actual Bible. I’m just wondering because I’d be really bummed if I had to witness another Prometheus or Exodus: Gods and Kings being based off those works, ya know? Ya know, Ridley? Ya know?





Official Website
Impressions Thread

Rip in Peace:


*EXTRA CREDIT to Quick, despite being worked like an ox, is able to deliver with zero complaints or reservations.
Mandius
Member
(05-11-2017, 04:48 AM)
Mandius's Avatar
I just saw it. I thought it was dog shit.

Like Prometheus, it took a hard dive after the crew woke up. Unlike Prometheus, it felt really bland. Like it had nothing to say as a piece of art and it wasn't enjoyable as two hours of entertainment. Just boring.
BoogieWoogie
Member
(05-11-2017, 04:50 AM)
BoogieWoogie's Avatar
The characters were SO. STUPID.

"Hey guys, new planet, think we should wear space suits with helmets?"
"Nah, seems fine."

"I have created a masterpiece with my alien eggs, shove your head inside one and take a look!"
"CAN DO!"

That med scene where everyone was tripping in blood should have had the God damn Benny Hill theme playing on top of it.
linkman26
Member
(05-11-2017, 04:51 AM)
linkman26's Avatar
So what I got from reading around the webs:

-Daniels and Tennessee are the only survivors along with "Walter".
-David kills Walter and disguises himself as "Walter" escaping with the other 2.
-Shaw is dead?
LordSparda
Junior Member
(05-11-2017, 04:55 AM)
LordSparda's Avatar
Some stuff worth considering...

http://www.gamesradar.com/alien-covenant-ending/

Damn, the more I think of this film, the more ridiculous the plot holes become.
Count of Monte Sawed-Off
un33dab@dpu$$y
(05-11-2017, 04:56 AM)
Count of Monte Sawed-Off's Avatar
If Kenny Powers doesn't die, then I'm game.
Tevious
Member
(05-11-2017, 04:57 AM)
Tevious's Avatar
This film seems to have some contrasting opinions. The review thread had some people who thought the characters were stupid. I'd like to hear people elaborate more on that, as I thought the characters were much more genuine than most of the films in the series. There was no stupid scientist moment like with the alien worm in Prometheus, or smoking weed in your environmental suit, etc. They weren't as ridiculous as some of the characters in Alien Resurection or the AVP movies.

Edit: And here we are:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

The characters were SO. STUPID.

"Hey guys, new planet, think we should wear space suits with helmets?"
"Nah, seems fine."

Yeah I guess. It's been a couple days since watching, but didn't they analyze the atmosphere? (I'm not sure what kind of atmosphere screening tech they have.) In the real world, they could be at risk of being infected by some deadly pathogen, which sort of happens with the alien spores. Maybe that could have been handled better, but I don't think having them in suits the entire time would have worked well for the plot. Perhaps when they met David, he could have told them the air is "safe".

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

"I have created a masterpiece with my alien eggs, shove your head inside one and take a look!"
"CAN DO!".

This was stupid of him, but the guy was just some man of faith and not some smart scientist. He wasn't even supposed to be their captain. He peered inside the egg after David lied and told him it was safe, though.
Last edited by Tevious; 05-11-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Days like these...
Poonani should have a ph balance of 0
(05-11-2017, 04:57 AM)
Haven't seen Covenant and won't at least not at the theater. I'll wait for it to hit Blu ray. I think Scott can still salvage these prequels by bringing back the engineers with the black goo and some crazy Xenomorph creation of their own.
SolidChamp
Banned
(05-11-2017, 05:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Mandius

I just saw it. I thought it was dog shit.

Like Prometheus, it took a hard dive after the crew woke up. Unlike Prometheus, it felt really bland. Like it had nothing to say as a piece of art and it wasn't enjoyable as two hours of entertainment. Just boring.

I have to agree with this.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "dog shit", but it was very uninspired and flat. All of it, from the characters, to the visuals, to the dialogue...it was just so drab and boring and unengaging.

I actually enjoyed Prometheus more (just rewatched it the other day for the first time in years) because I can at least admire it's ambitions and the effort the filmmakers took to craft a truly visual piece of cinema.

Here everything is so fucking dark and devoid of anything remotely interesting to look at.

What a disappointment this was. I appreciate that it had some answers to tie it into Prometheus, but holy shit did it feel so pointless on the whole. Especially due to the ending.

I don't think Ridley Scott has ever made a more visually boring film.

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

The characters were SO. STUPID.

"Hey guys, new planet, think we should wear space suits with helmets?"
"Nah, seems fine."

"I have created a masterpiece with my alien eggs, shove your head inside one and take a look!"
"CAN DO!"

That med scene where everyone was tripping in blood should have had the God damn Benny Hill theme playing on top of it.

This shit, too.

1. Why go down to ANY alien planet that you don't know shit about without automatically assuming that, even though the atmosphere may be perfectly breathable, there could very well be dangerous microbes, pathogens, or whatever the fuck just waiting for you to happen upon and soak up into your fucking body holes. Which is literally what happened. So they doubled down on the stupidity from Prometheus there.

"Shit I would've kept my fucking space helmet on just in case." -Mike Stoklasa

2. Captain Preacher has exhibited signs of suspicion towards David. He's threatened to fuck him up. One of his crew members just had her head ripped off by a fucking alien looking thing. So he's willing to believe David when David says a fucking alien looking egg thing is "perfectly safe", in spite of all of the shit that has already gone down? Stupider than anyone on the Prometheus crew.

3. So many moments that felt like cheap grabs at tension.

When shit hits the fan, the movie is mildly entertaining in some moments. But then there is so much shit here that feels so pointless and boring.
Last edited by SolidChamp; 05-11-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:04 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar
So, I'm kinda pounding through my review right now, so I don't wanna just basically rough draft the thing here (although I guess there's gonna be an aspect of that by default) but the things that surprised me:

1) After 25 years, Fox & Ridley Scott have finally, finally managed to clear the (low-ish) hurdle that is Alien 3. This is a better movie than that was.

2) They managed this by, surprisingly, taking a lot of elements FROM Alien 3. Superficial in some cases, a little more meaningful in others.

3) This is the first film in which I honestly believe Ridley Scott has allowed a character to be an avatar of himself. I don't think he's ever self-inserted into one of his movies before.

David is basically Ridley Scott as obvious, and obviously flawed artist, stylishly obvious in the worst ways, confusing his on-the-nose flamboyance for profundity.

So, yeah - it took 25 years, but he's made a movie better than Alien 3. I guess the other crazy/strange thing is that with this and Prometheus, and the fact this is much closer to Alien 3 in tone (and style)... He's now added enough to this universe he started to where ALIENS, which was already kind of an outlier, is now even moreso.

It almost doesn't fit at all, anymore.
Last edited by Bobby Roberts; 05-11-2017 at 06:18 AM.
SolidChamp
Banned
(05-11-2017, 06:09 AM)
It's certainly better than Alien 3 (I rarely ever manage to make it through a viewing in one sitting). Obviously better than Resurrection.

Alien
Aliens
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant

And then the rest.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:12 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar
This is a better film than Prometheus. Probably because it's not trying to answer deep questions about existence and failing badly. It's scaled down, thematically. It's also paced better, and the characterizations are better, for the most part. Instead of trying to do 5 or 6 things all at once, none of which are within reach, it tries to do two or three things, tops, and usually manages some sort of success.

That last half hour is a lot of screeching, squealing, inert rehash, though.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(05-11-2017, 06:13 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolidChamp

This shit, too.

1. Why go down to ANY alien planet that you don't know shit about without automatically assuming that, even though the atmosphere may be perfectly breathable, there could very well be dangerous microbes, pathogens, or whatever the fuck just waiting for you to happen upon and soak up into your fucking body holes. Which is literally what happened. So they doubled down on the stupidity from Prometheus there.

"Shit I would've kept my fucking space helmet on just in case." -Mike Stoklasa

This is literally a mainstay of science fiction for decades, probably longer. It's understood that if the atmosphere is breathable, you can take your helmet off. This isn't hard science fiction and it isn't an Alien/Prometheus thing. Like pretty much any sci-fi movie that has a planet with an earth-like atmosphere does this.
Magwik
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:14 AM)
Magwik's Avatar
I've been worried about how the movie ends since I went back and rewatched the movies. The conclusion for 3/5 is extremely similar. It would be nice if Covenant managed to do something different.
SolidChamp
Banned
(05-11-2017, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

This is a better film than Prometheus. Probably because it's not trying to answer deep questions about existence and failing badly. It's scaled down, thematically. It's also paced better, and the characterizations are better, for the most part. Instead of trying to do 5 or 6 things all at once, none of which are within reach, it tries to do two or three things, tops, and usually manages some sort of success.

That last half hour is a lot of screeching, squealing, inert rehash, though.

I thought the pacing of Covenant was so slow compared to Prometheus. I still can't quite put my finger on why.
MMarston
Was getting caught part of your plan?
(05-11-2017, 06:17 AM)
MMarston's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toa TAK

Rip in Peace:

This movie didn't deserve you and your reps, Shaw.



Anyway, gonna hop out of this thread and see the rest of the whackiness for myself next week.
The Driver
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:20 AM)
The Driver's Avatar
Don't really have too much of an attachment to this series, my favorite is Aliens mostly because it's well made and fun.

All I wanna know is does it deliver in the scares or action department? It looked pretty silly when I first watched the trailer but the extremely pissed and aggressive alien kinda has me interested.

Especially since it doesn't seem to be aiming quite as high as Prometheus.
Nazgul11
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:22 AM)
Nazgul11's Avatar
Just came back from a screening. I have mixed feelings to say the least.

I thought that the first half or so was pretty good... Up until the info dump in the middle.

Am I alone in feeling that this film squandered a lot of the potential that a follow up to Prometheus has?

The premise of Elizabeth and David off on their own to see the Engineer's home world always seemed like an incredibly intriguing set up for a film to me.
Last edited by Nazgul11; 05-11-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Dalek
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:23 AM)
Dalek's Avatar
Man it's depressing reading this.
Kain-Nosgoth
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:26 AM)
Kain-Nosgoth's Avatar
this movie was baaaaaaaaad in a lot of departement honestly....

the action was bad, the aliens were bad, the real alien do jack shit, the story is predictable as hell, the movie try to be subtle but isn't, the crew are dumb and dumber, and so on!

also android fight scene, because we need some of it in an alien film right?

the whole film felt like a bad pot-pourri of every alien movies
Last edited by Kain-Nosgoth; 05-11-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:27 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Driver

All I wanna know is does it deliver in the scares or action department? It looked pretty silly when I first watched the trailer but the extremely pissed and aggressive alien kinda has me interested.

So far as the scares go? There's a couple pretty effective shock moments. Not much as far as jumpscares go. Nothing as harrowing as the medbay c-section from Prometheus, but the Neomorphs (which are VERY much like the dog/ox-critter from Alien 3) are given some real creepy moments.

So far as action goes? Eh. It's not shot well, and the geography of the final set-pieces (which are also, amazingly, riffing hard off Alien 3) is damn near non-existent. It's not enough for you to get lost, but it's just enough that you're like "None of this payoff is paying off because none of it is set up well at all."

It's some very ho-hum action. Like, it might as well be Len Wiseman directing the action instead of Ridley Scott.
Toa TAK
Ask me about Thor 2: The Darck World
(05-11-2017, 06:30 AM)
Toa TAK's Avatar
Bobby, was Jed Kurzel's score good at least?

I dig his stuff for Macbeth and Assassin's Creed.
SolidChamp
Banned
(05-11-2017, 06:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

So far as the scares go? There's a couple pretty effective shock moments. Not much as far as jumpscares go. Nothing as harrowing as the medbay c-section from Prometheus, but the Neomorphs (which are VERY much like the dog/ox-critter from Alien 3) are given some real creepy moments.

So far as action goes? Eh. It's not shot well, and the geography of the final set-pieces (which are also, amazingly, riffing hard off Alien 3) is damn near non-existent. It's not enough for you to get lost, but it's just enough that you're like "None of this payoff is paying off because none of it is set up well at all."

It's some very ho-hum action. Like, it might as well be Len Wiseman directing the action instead of Ridley Scott.

I agree with pretty much all of this.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:34 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar
It reminded me of the work done for Alien Isolation, honestly. There were more than a few similarities between the scores. There was a moment, when David and Walter were talking, and the music started to get slightly detuned and warbly, at first it was subtle, and then it got more and more dissonant. I liked that bit.

but other than that, all the most memorable moments seemed to be either riffs on, or lifts of, Goldsmith's music for the original.

It was a decent score.

At one point, Harry Gregson-Williams' theme for Prometheus shows up as diegetic music. Now that I think about it, it's also the point at which Ridley starts seriously quoting himself and the other Alien films.

OH SHIT. Now that I think of it - I don't think that trailer shot of the Alien hopping up the walls in the red hallway is in the movie.
The Driver
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:34 AM)
The Driver's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

So far as the scares go? There's a couple pretty effective shock moments. Not much as far as jumpscares go. Nothing as harrowing as the medbay c-section from Prometheus, but the Neomorphs (which are VERY much like the dog/ox-critter from Alien 3) are given some real creepy moments.

So far as action goes? Eh. It's not shot well, and the geography of the final set-pieces (which are also, amazingly, riffing hard off Alien 3) is damn near non-existent. It's not enough for you to get lost, but it's just enough that you're like "None of this payoff is paying off because none of it is set up well at all."

It's some very ho-hum action. Like, it might as well be Len Wiseman directing the action instead of Ridley Scott.

Boo Ridley, you whore.
Toa TAK
Ask me about Thor 2: The Darck World
(05-11-2017, 06:41 AM)
Toa TAK's Avatar
Gah.

Ah well, still pretty cool that the Prometheus theme shows up at least.
itwasTuesday
He wasn't alone.
(05-11-2017, 06:45 AM)
itwasTuesday's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

So, I'm kinda pounding through my review right now, so I don't wanna just basically rough draft the thing here (although I guess there's gonna be an aspect of that by default) but the things that surprised me:

1) After 25 years, Fox & Ridley Scott have finally, finally managed to clear the (low-ish) hurdle that is Alien 3. This is a better movie than that was.

2) They managed this by, surprisingly, taking a lot of elements FROM Alien 3. Superficial in some cases, a little more meaningful in others.

3) This is the first film in which I honestly believe Ridley Scott has allowed a character to be an avatar of himself. I don't think he's ever self-inserted into one of his movies before.

David is basically Ridley Scott as obvious, and obviously flawed artist, stylishly obvious in the worst ways, confusing his on-the-nose flamboyance for profundity.

So, yeah - it took 25 years, but he's made a movie better than Alien 3. I guess the other crazy/strange thing is that with this and Prometheus, and the fact this is much closer to Alien 3 in tone (and style)... He's now added enough to this universe he started to where ALIENS, which was already kind of an outlier, is now even moreso.

It almost doesn't fit at all, anymore.

whoa

shit, why am I in a spoiler thread. Be back later.
Chained Prometheus
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:50 AM)
Chained Prometheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

So, I'm kinda pounding through my review right now, so I don't wanna just basically rough draft the thing here (although I guess there's gonna be an aspect of that by default) but the things that surprised me:

1) After 25 years, Fox & Ridley Scott have finally, finally managed to clear the (low-ish) hurdle that is Alien 3. This is a better movie than that was.

2) They managed this by, surprisingly, taking a lot of elements FROM Alien 3. Superficial in some cases, a little more meaningful in others.

3) This is the first film in which I honestly believe Ridley Scott has allowed a character to be an avatar of himself. I don't think he's ever self-inserted into one of his movies before.

David is basically Ridley Scott as obvious, and obviously flawed artist, stylishly obvious in the worst ways, confusing his on-the-nose flamboyance for profundity.

So, yeah - it took 25 years, but he's made a movie better than Alien 3. I guess the other crazy/strange thing is that with this and Prometheus, and the fact this is much closer to Alien 3 in tone (and style)... He's now added enough to this universe he started to where ALIENS, which was already kind of an outlier, is now even moreso.

It almost doesn't fit at all, anymore.

I always felt like David was Ridley's attempt at creating another Roy Batty. And y'know what? That description of him doubling as a self-insert for Ridley Scott makes waaaaayyyyyyyy too much sense.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:51 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

whoa

shit, why am I in a spoiler thread. Be back later.

That post you just quoted is spoiler-free, tho.

but yeah, this is not a spoiler-free zone at all. Watch out!
Chaotic-Strike
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:53 AM)
Chaotic-Strike's Avatar
So how are they handling the Queen issue?
halfbeast
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:55 AM)
halfbeast's Avatar

Originally Posted by linkman26

So what I got from reading around the webs:

-Daniels and Tennessee are the only survivors along with "Walter".
-David kills Walter and disguises himself as "Walter" escaping with the other 2.
-Shaw is dead?

so, basically it's Child's Play 2 in space?
SolidChamp
Banned
(05-11-2017, 06:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Chaotic-Strike

So how are they handling the Queen issue?

They're not. Who the fuck knows. Especially with that ending.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:56 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chaotic-Strike

So how are they handling the Queen issue?

They're not. There is no queen.

David invents the egg. The Alien lifecycle, according to this movie, literally starts here. With a roomful of eggs handmade by David.
Tevious
Member
(05-11-2017, 06:58 AM)
Tevious's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chaotic-Strike

So how are they handling the Queen issue?

Maybe the next one will explain that? Unless Ridley doesn't want to go with the queen route. He still needs to explain where the eggs come from.

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

They're not. There is no queen.

David invents the egg. The Alien lifecycle, according to this movie, literally starts here. With a roomful of eggs handmade by David.

I don't recall the film explaining that David created those eggs personally. It being his creation could still mean that some alien laid those eggs. He could have bred an alien that creates them.
Last edited by Tevious; 05-11-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 06:59 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tevious

Maybe the next one will explain that? Unless Ridley doesn't want to go with the queen route. He still needs to explain where the eggs come from.

He did.

David made them.

I had to laugh - he has his plans for them literally pinned to the wall next to the door leading to his egg chamber.

They're basically signage saying "this way to the egg chamber"
rec0ded1
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:00 AM)
rec0ded1's Avatar
Fucking yikes. Guess I'll wait for home release.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 07:04 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tevious

I don't recall the film explaining that David created those eggs personally. It being his creation could still mean that some alien laid those eggs.

David says that he made them, and you see his designs/plans for their creation pinned to the walls.

He made the eggs. There is no queen (yet). It's just him, the black goo, and a bunch of dead bodies.

Oh yeah, that's another similarity to Alien 3: Shaw dies offscreen, and only time you see her body is when it's already laid out on a slab and autopsied.

Shaw gets Newt'd.
Tevious
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:11 AM)
Tevious's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

David says that he made them, and you see his designs/plans for their creation pinned to the walls.

He made the eggs. There is no queen (yet). It's just him, the black goo, and a bunch of dead bodies.

Oh yeah, that's another similarity to Alien 3: Shaw dies offscreen, and only time you see her body is when it's already laid out on a slab and autopsied.

Shaw gets Newt'd.

When I watch again, I'll pay more attention to that scene. I took it as more metaphorically speaking and he's just taking credit for the creation. The "plans" that you mention I had the impression were just diagrams of an autopsy he did.
Chained Prometheus
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:11 AM)
Chained Prometheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

David says that he made them, and you see his designs/plans for their creation pinned to the walls.

He made the eggs. There is no queen (yet). It's just him, the black goo, and a bunch of dead bodies.

Oh yeah, that's another similarity to Alien 3: Shaw dies offscreen, and only time you see her body is when it's already laid out on a slab and autopsied.

Shaw gets Newt'd.

I remember hearing theories from folks over at AvP Galaxy Forums that were aware of the spoilers awhile back suggesting that maybe David came across the design/formula for the Xenomorph egg after arriving at the Engineers' homeworld and decided to try and make his own?

Does that seem remotely possible still or is it just David dickin' around and making the Xenomorphs entirely on his own?
Jinroh
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:12 AM)
Jinroh's Avatar
So do we agree that the "it's 4 meters above you" scene from the last trailer isn't in the movie?

What's strange is that Daniels is talking to mother and she's alone. I don't know where it would fit in the last part of the movie, she's always with the guy and they talk to David, not mother.
Last edited by Jinroh; 05-11-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 07:13 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tevious

When I watch again, I'll pay more attention to that scene. I took it as more metaphorically speaking and he's just taking credit for the creation. The "plans" that you mention I had the impression were just diagrams of an autopsy he did.

He's hiding facehugger embryos in his body.

He's making these things.

There is nothing in the movie that suggests anyone else is doing any of this work for him, or that anyone is pointing him in any previously charted direction. It's him, in a mausoleum of his own creation, with scrolls and scrolls of science experiments, and the physical results of those experiments littered around his creepy little house.

There's no queen. It's just him.

Originally Posted by Jinroh

So do we agree that the "it's 4 meters above you" scene from the last trailer isn't in the movie?

What's strange is that Shaw is talking to mother and she's alone. I don't know where it would fit in the last part of the movie, she's always with the guy and they talk to David, not mother.

Yeah, that scene isn't in the movie. The alien hopping up the red hallway isn't in it either, and the shower scene is REAL perfunctory. The "Country Road" trailer shows most of it.

Originally Posted by Chained Prometheus

I remember hearing theories from folks over at AvP Galaxy Forums that were aware of the spoilers awhile back suggesting that maybe David came across the design/formula for the Xenomorph egg after arriving at the Engineers' homeworld and decided to try and make his own?

Does that seem remotely possible still or is it just David dickin' around and making the Xenomorphs entirely on his own?

That doesn't seem possible to me at all. There's nothing in the film that suggests he did anything to the engineers but bomb them and squat in their dead city.
Last edited by Bobby Roberts; 05-11-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Toxa
Junior Member
(05-11-2017, 07:16 AM)
Toxa's Avatar
I'm confused the movie is good and bad ...

I was happy to see an answer to the questions raised by prometheus but instead the movie just rip off all the questions and focus about the origin of the aliens !

so david for some reason just kill the engineer , he killed the poor Dr saw who survived form the previous movie for mothing :( to run his own research.

the black goo is back to put the mess among the crew and finaly you learn that david a crazy robot is the creator of the aliens and hijack at the end a colonist ship to continue his research.

once again the only survivor just survive for nothing

wow the movie was entertaining but well I don't know ... it was gore with some nice action scene.

somehow it was better than prometheus and a big letdown ... at least you had hope watching prometheus but here it's a no hope story
Chained Prometheus
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:19 AM)
Chained Prometheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

He's hiding facehugger embryos in his body.

He's making these things.

There is nothing in the movie that suggests anyone else is doing any of this work for him, or that anyone is pointing him in any previously charted direction. It's him, in a mausoleum of his own creation, with scrolls and scrolls of science experiments, and the physical results of those experiments littered around his creepy little house.

There's no queen. It's just him.

-

That doesn't seem possible to me at all. There's nothing in the film that suggests he did anything to the engineers but bomb them and squat in their dead city.

Heh. Well, my next visit to AVP Galaxy should be verrrrryyyyyyyyy interesting then.

I think it's a safe bet that this will be the big point that certain, vocal fans take issue with once the movie's out in the public.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-11-2017, 07:22 AM)
Bobby Roberts's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

This isn't hard science fiction and it isn't an Alien/Prometheus thing. Like pretty much any sci-fi movie that has a planet with an earth-like atmosphere does this.

Star Trek does this shit all the time, and always has. I'm fairly certain Stoklasa is aware of this, too.

But yeah, this movie does take the couple seconds to do an atmosphere scan from orbit to determine that the air is breathable & whatnot. Directly compare it to the planet they're supposed to colonize and declare it a much, much better match for them.
Jinroh
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:22 AM)
Jinroh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Yeah, that scene isn't in the movie. The alien hopping up the red hallway isn't in it either

Ironically these two scenes are more tense than anything featured in that last part of the movie.

There was barely any sense of danger in this ship at the end, and the alien vision coupled with the terrible CGI didn't help at all, it made the alien look so cheap.
The Driver
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:28 AM)
The Driver's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Oh yeah, that's another similarity to Alien 3: Shaw dies offscreen, and only time you see her body is when it's already laid out on a slab and autopsied.

Shaw gets Newt'd.

Offscreen death? Lmao, this shit is so disrespectful. I really hope Rapace didn't show up for a day just to lay on a table and play dead.

Whenever I see shit like this happen it always feels like a retroactive "fuck you" to the last movie, like the character was a mistake and you just wanna get them out of the way so you can rehash whatever bs from past Alien movies this seems to be doing. It also makes the struggles of the character in the previous movie feel pointless.

You're just gonna die offscreen in the next one Shaw, should have just gotten it over with and allowed the juggernaut to crush you with Vickers.
Tevious
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:29 AM)
Tevious's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

He's hiding facehugger embryos in his body.

He's making these things.

There is nothing in the movie that suggests anyone else is doing any of this work for him, or that anyone is pointing him in any previously charted direction. It's him, in a mausoleum of his own creation, with scrolls and scrolls of science experiments, and the physical results of those experiments littered around his creepy little house.

There's no queen. It's just him.

I know there's no mention of a queen, not suggesting there was. I'm suggesting they were being vague and not revealing exactly how the eggs were made. That could be a revelation in the next film (maybe Queen or something else). He mentioned he did some crossbreeding, but I don't recall anything suggesting that he literally created those eggs with his bare hands. I just can't imagine that he sculpted them out of some bio material. Or maybe he grew them like a plant somehow? Or he created a queen that we just didn't see on screen (or mentioned at all) who laid the eggs.
Nappuccino
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:30 AM)
Nappuccino's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Driver

Offscreen death? Lmao, this shit is so disrespectful. I really hope Rapace didn't show up for a day just to lay on a table and play dead.

Whenever I see shit like this happen it always feels like a retroactive "fuck you" to the last movie, like the character was a mistake and you just wanna get them out of the way so you can rehash whatever bs from past Alien movies this seems to be doing. It also makes the struggles of the character in the previous movie feel pointless.

You're just gonna die offscreen in the next one Shaw, should have just gotten it over with and allowed the juggernaut to crush you with Vickers.

I kinda like it in Aliens 3--the deaths feel appropriate to the world and life of Ripley. No happy endings.

Shaw's death doesn't make much thematic sense with Prometheus.
Last edited by Nappuccino; 05-24-2017 at 06:26 AM.
SolidChamp
Banned
(05-11-2017, 07:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Tevious

I know there's no mention of a queen, not suggesting there was. I'm suggesting they were being vague and not revealing exactly how the eggs were made. That could be a revelation in the next film (maybe Queen or something else). He mentioned he did some crossbreeding, but I don't recall anything suggesting that he literally created those eggs with his bare hands. I just can't imagine that he sculpted them out of some bio material. Or maybe he grew them like a plant somehow? Or he created a queen that we just didn't see on screen or mentioned who laid the eggs.

I concur with Bobby. David literally implied that all of his experimentation lead to his creation of the face hugger egg. I JUST got back from seeing it so it's fresh in my mind.

David "Dr. Frankenstein'd" that shit.

Edit: Also, not sure if it was too "on-the-nose" when David said "That's the spirit!" after Daniels shoved a nail into him...that was literally a two-for-one Ridley self-reference.
Last edited by SolidChamp; 05-11-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Tevious
Member
(05-11-2017, 07:35 AM)
Tevious's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Driver

Offscreen death? Lmao, this shit is so disrespectful. I really hope Rapace didn't show up for a day just to lay on a table and play dead.

I don't think that was even her. She's uncredited for this film. Her only actual appearance was the photo. The hologram is distorted, so could have been any actress playing her there. The singing voice on the hologram could have been someone else too.

Originally Posted by SolidChamp

I concur with Bobby. David literally implied that all of his experimentation lead to his creation of the face hugger egg. I JUST got back from seeing it so it's fresh in my mind.

David "Dr. Frankenstein'd" that shit.

Experimentation leading to the creation of a face hugger egg is vague. We don't know how precisely this works. He's getting these eggs and embryos somehow. Growing them? Harvesting them? I doubt he's building them with his bare hands. That wouldn't make any sense. Where would he be getting the material for that, anyway?
Last edited by Tevious; 05-11-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Thread Tools