• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Them MLG doods won't be happy about more random in their Halo.

However, being Halo, there's probably all the options you need to recreate a classic experience.

Pretty clear they're trying to grasp back a lot of the general MP shooter audience that probably left for CoD or the shooter of the month though. These all seem like changes that are conducive to broaden the appeal and make the game faster.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"No More Weapon Camping"

Boo this idea, BOOOOOOO!

[edit]

Hahaha, holy shit. It would seem I'm not the only one who hates this.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I disagree. As I said before, Halo's multiplayer is great because of how it's balanced. A game, from start to finish, is a closed match of one set of players against the other. You came in with a team, and competed against another team, all the way through. The only way this could be fucked up was with quitters, and there are some pretty harsh penalties in place for habitual quitters.

I'd agree with this, but Reach shows that quitters are always there no matter the penalty. Frankly, they ruin the game so if this is implemented in a good way, then I welcome it.

Did they seriously just make Red vs. Blue canon?

What the fuck.

Seems kinda like explaining Pac-Man, right? "Well, you're actually in this giant haunted house, and the pellets are lights that help you escape from the Ghosts, who are locked in the jail for a certain period of time"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd agree with this, but Reach shows that quitters are always there no matter the penalty. Frankly, they ruin the game so if this is implemented in a good way, then I welcome it.

Perhaps they could implement a rage quitter hell unless they have already?

Rage quitters only get paired with other rage quitters. Everyone is happy.

I don't see how it would be so difficult to keep some of the ultra competitive playlists still team-only, with no drop-in, drop-out, with penalties like long periods of time where your not allowed to enter the playlisy again for those who quit. And then modes for pubs that are drop-in-drop-out, which are like basic features that every shooter should have. Halo has needed it desperately for it's extended run for pubs. It does NOT have to be an either-or kind of thing, and I'm sure if they do choose, the programmers at 343i are competent enough to make it so you can have both kinds of games.

Spartan Points- I'm worried about armor abilities being unlockables

Spartan Ops- Spartan ops seems like a neat idea

Why Reds Fight Blues- I figured that out not a big deal

Sprint- I like sprint in reach so this is ok for me

Forerunner Vision- This could work i need to see it in action to judge it

Returning Armor Abilities- Cool reach is my favorite halo so those abilities making a comeback is good :)

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer - So no invasion :(

Firefight-POR QUE!!!! hopefully spartan ops will have rep

Regicide-sounds like a fun game type

No More Weapon Camping- this kind of worries me but still i always thought the random weapon drop in firefight was a neat idea I guess it will work like that drooping power weapons

No More Respawn Delay- personal I hate this but understand why a lot of people that I know complain about respawn delay so this will make them happy

Joining In-Progress Games- I use to hate this idea but after playing reach and having at least 1 person quit every game that I was in I welcome this

Rage quitters of get paired with other rage quitters. Everyone is happy.

I don't see how it would be so difficult to keep some of the ultra competitive playlists still team-only, with no drop-in, drop-out, with penalties like long periods of time where your not allowed to enter the playlisy again for those who quit. And then modes for pubs that are drop-in-drop-out, which are like basic features that every shooter should have. Halo has needed it desperately for it's extended run for pubs. It does NOT have to be an either-or kind of thing, and I'm sure if they do choose, the programmers at 343i are competent enough to make it so you can have both kinds of games.

This would be amazing.

Doesn't sound too interesting. But are people having problems with them changing it up? You got enough Halo games to choose which you like best and stick to that MP right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, UNSC Infinity and Halo Infinity possible link?

Imagine if Halo Infinity is just a downloadable multiplayer component or platform revolving around the multiplayer. Like an evolution of Bungie.net, which also integrates into Waypoint and Halo 4.

I think selling the MP component seperately via XBL/DD is a stretch if they know people will still pay full for the disc version.

Sounds like a lot of the changes are made to make it more friendly to people who don't have time to play for more then a hour or so a week, which is absolutely fine by me.

But I'm disappointed in them keeping co-op for the campaign and not just moving it entirely to Spartan Ops, would have preferred a SP experience that could make use of the ressources gained from not having co-op in it.

Havok

Doesn't sound too interesting. But are people having problems with them changing it up? You got enough Halo games to choose which you like best and stick to that MP right?
Unfortunately, the realities of playlist population and post-release support dropping off super quickly for legacy titles make that difficult.

I am hoping that they make everything optional and you can still make the game like classic halo. Also, I am happy to see the return of armor abilities. If they do it right, it can be a great addition, BRING ON THE HATE!

Sean

Banned
I disagree. As I said before, Halo's multiplayer is great because of how it's balanced. A game, from start to finish, is a closed match of one set of players against the other. You came in with a team, and competed against another team, all the way through. The only way this could be fucked up was with quitters, and there are some pretty harsh penalties in place for habitual quitters.

No offense, but that's a load of crap. The quit penalties didn't help one bit. It was still a massive problem and easily the most frustrating part of the entire Halo multiplayer experience imo.

There's nothing worse than starting a Big Team objective match and having half your team quit in the first twenty seconds (which is especially common with guest accounts). Good luck capturing the flag or arming the bomb when the teams are ridiculously stacked like that. And so many Halo players are assholes, rather than the bigger team ending the match quickly they'll do "victory laps" driving the flag around the map instead of capturing it and just rack up spawn kills the entire match until the timer runs out.

Join in progress was a much needed feature IMO.

Sponge

Banned
Sounds lame

If this is what we're to expect of Halo from now on, I don't plan on getting a 720 for Halo 5 and onwards.

Rad-

I hate weapon spawning in general but making it random makes it a bit better in my eyes.

Wallhack and no respawn timer sound pretty bad though.

Satchel

Banned
Most of that stuff makes me happy.

Perma-sprint? Awesome

Random weapon spawns? Awesome. No more power weapon camping whores.

Armour abilities are back? Ugh. Fuck them off. All of them. They add nothing but fuck up the gameplay. Modt play the non-AA playlists now in reach anyway.

Weapon unlocks? Eerr. Mmm. Not too sure. Might have to see this in action. Not overly enthused.

Spartan Ops sounds cool.

Drop in drop out MP matches? Awesome. Long overdue.

X-ray vision? Eh, anything that helps prevent camping fucks is a ok by me.

Overall sounds good. Really hate AA's though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
No offense, but that's a load of crap. The quit penalties didn't help one bit. It was still a massive problem and easily the most frustrating part of the entire Halo multiplayer experience imo.

There's nothing worse than starting a Big Team objective match and having half your team quit in the first twenty seconds (which is especially common with guest accounts). Good luck capturing the flag or arming the bomb when the teams are ridiculously stacked like that. And so many Halo players are assholes, rather than the bigger team ending the match quickly they'll do "victory laps" driving the flag around the map instead of capturing it and just rack up spawn kills the entire match until the timer runs out.

Join in progress was a much needed feature IMO.

I never said the penalties fixed the problem. Quitters have ruined more matches than I could possibly count. It's just hard to see a Halo where I join a game in progress. When I played Halo 3, I put a ton of effort into having a great service record. Minimal quitting, usually from internet issues, and a whole heap of wins that I felt I deserved. It's just kind of the integrity of the game that comes along with playing all matches all the way through. I don't feel like I could be proud of my wins if half of them came from playing only part of a match.

That said, I think having separate playlists that allow or disallow join in progress would be an effective solution, and I'm not against it existing in the game. As long as it retains what I enjoy about Halo multiplayer, I'm fine with it. The other additions I can't say the same for.

Hope that join in progress is for social and less serious playlist only.

The rest sounds like a shitty cod clone. They should appeal too the mlg guys.

Rage quitters only get paired with other rage quitters. Everyone is happy.

Yeah, I've gotta agree, this is something not only for Halo, but for all games. Great idea.

If I were to take a guess, I would think starting weapons will be a plethora of rifles, pistols and smgs. Map weapons will still exist as we know them, but with wildcard power weapon spawns to switch things up and to keep the game moving. I don't see any problem with this, as long as weapons still have spawnpoints on the map.

Are weapons customizable in the campaign too?

Nothing is mentioned that suggests they are. That said, he avoided talking about the SP saying he couldn't do it justice and would allow people to read on their own in the GI issue, so who knows.

I won't say that these changes and features sound horrible, because I'm sure there are some details we aren't aware of quite yet. For now I'll just say that Halo 4 sounds very different from the other Halo titles.

This game sure is pretty! Stunning stuff. If 343i can manage those visuals in the final product, I can't imagine what they'll be able to do with next generation hardware.

Sounds like the default ruleset for the game will be godawful. Hopefully it still has the same level of customization as the previous games, so the community can turn it into something that's worth playing. Kinda like Reach.

Monocle

Let it be known that I will flip several turds if Firefight doesn't return, and one of them might happen to find its way into Frankie's mailbox. Another point of concern: random weapon drops. This sounds like a terrible idea. I hope it's optional and restricted to very specific situations or game types. Instant spawning could also be problematic, depending on the implementation. I'm definitely on board with reduced respawn time as long as it's balanced to prevent horseclownery.

The other details are really encouraging. Spartan Ops? Sign me up yesterday. Sprint comes standard? Yes, yes, yes!

Penor hype steadily rising.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If you introduce randomness in a shooter it makes it worse. Knowing and defending weapon spawns in a game is a skill. Random drops could lose the "better" team the game because of a lucky drop of rockets. This is lame.

Can you really call a player "skilled" if he isn't able to adapt to an opponent getting one lucky drop of rockets?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oops phone typing, what meant was 343 should listen to the mlg guys. And not the game to game jumping mass market. The mass market will buy it anyway because of marketing and media/people hype surrounding a halo.
That makes more sense. :)

Just quoting myself from the other thread.

Joining In-Progress Games

-So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.

homergross0sa93.gif

Sai

Sprint

-So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what.
Finally.

Dunno about some of this stuff. Random weapon drops, x-ray vision, weapon unlocks... Meh.

Not feelin' the hype though. But, I was the same way with Reach for a good long while, and ended up pleasantly surprised.

dc89

I hope Halo isn't forgetting it's core player, the player who still plays Reach every time they fire the 360 up (or Halo 3, I still play that from time to time) it's someone who likes to be tested and play a very skill based game.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm not the biggest fan of this random weapon thing, but people acting like fixed weapon spawns are 100% fair are being dishonest. Assuming two teams of exactly equal skill, whoever spawns closest to the desirable, controllable location on the map at the beginning of the match has won it before it even started.

Nibel

Sprint and instant respawn remind me of CoD.

Just saying. They seem to create a faster Halo than before.. I don't think that this is what Halo needs.

Top Bottom