• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

What I would like to see in a SP5...

-Sturdier stand. The current one is really nice and has a nice wide range of positions, but after 1.5 years it feels a little flappy/loose (though I think it was always like this). Not sure how to describe it but it feels a little less than premium.

-Would be cool if they could go fanless across the entire product range. I love so much that my SP4 m3 is fanless/quiet.

-Better pen. I mean it's great as is but I want to see MS compete with Wacom here on accuracy, jitter, etc

-OMG improve the battery

-Better pen. I mean it's great as is but I want to see MS compete with Wacom here on accuracy, jitter, etc

N-Trig already has better accuracy, palm rejection, and jitter control than Wacom's AES due to their superior touch digitizer layer. Where they lag behind is on their pens, specifically the load sensor, where Wacom enjoys lower initial detection force and much more linear and predictable pressure curve.

This is why the upcoming dual protocol pen from Wacom for N-Trig and AES devices is so exciting: It gives you best of both tech.

they announced this about Surface Pro 5?

edit: sounds like a misquote, but it's clear that MS want to ride out the SP4 for a while.

Thank you for the correction. I wasn't aware of that. I only caught the story on DTNS this morning.

N-Trig already has better accuracy, palm rejection, and jitter control than Wacom's AES due to their superior touch digitizer layer. Where they lag behind is on their pens, specifically the load sensor, where Wacom enjoys lower initial detection force and much more linear and predictable pressure curve.

This is why the upcoming dual protocol pen from Wacom for N-Trig and AES devices is so exciting: It gives you best of both tech.

Is that pen ever coming? It feels like I've been hearing about this for two years now.

artsi

Is that pen ever coming? It feels like I've been hearing about this for two years now.

It feels like it don't it... It's still listed as "under development" according to Wacom's latest investor's report according to Surface Pro Artist's blog.

Apparently this thing just popped up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wacom-bamboo-ink-smart-stylus-black/5731102.p?skuId=5731102

Compatible with Windows 10 pen-enabled devices (MPP/AES)
Bamboo Ink is optimized for Windows Ink and it works with a broad range of pen-enabled devices.

Ergonomic triangular design and soft-touch surface
Provide a very good in-hand feel.

Three different nib types - soft, medium and firm
Allow for a personalized, authentic on-screen feel to choose for your individual writing style: every stroke will be a precise digital reflection of your ideas.

Bamboo Note app
With the Bamboo Note app you can switch between handwriting, typing notes, adding images and more.

Nib kit included
Comes with a choice of different fine tips (soft, medium, firm).

jMDG44Q.jpg

Dynasty

The Pro 5 leak has made dampened my hype, hopefully they give us more information about W10 on ARM because Im looking forward to that.

Luigi87

Surface Pro 2017 sounds like a very nice upgrade, especially the pen. "Twice as responsive as Apple Pencil"
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674228/microsoft-surface-pen-features-improvements

Surface Pen 2017 vs SP4 stats:
latency 12ms vs 45ms
pressure: 4096 vs 1024
activation force: 12g vs unknown (much worse)
new: tilt+rotation

12 grams IAF is TERRIBLE. It has to be a typo. N-Trig's older pens had 10 grams of IAF, and that's ones before SP4. By comparison, Wacom AES pen has 1 gram IAF.

dock

The pen is backwards compatible, but aside from the tilt that won't work on SP4, will the latency and pressure at least function?
I wouldn't count on latency improving.

12 grams IAF is TERRIBLE. It has to be a typo. N-Trig's older pens had 10 grams of IAF, and that's ones before SP4. By comparison, Wacom AES pen has 1 gram IAF.
I don't remember which article it was that cited 12g IAF. Maybe I made a mistake.

Luigi87

I wouldn't count on latency improving.

I don't remember which article it was that cited 12g IAF. Maybe I made a mistake.
True enough. Latency doesn't really bother me, but if the sensitivity increase works then I'd still consider the pen. Of course I'm also prepared for that not to either.

The pen is backwards compatible, but aside from the tilt that won't work on SP4, will the latency and pressure at least function?

Tilt is coming via firm update to all surface devices starting at Surface 3 (and Pro), but excluding the Surface Laptop, according to the store page.

That however is deeply concerning.

Well The Verge as usual was wrong. According to someone from Surface team, the IAF is "less than 9 grams". So 8 grams and some fraction. Probably 8.9 grams lolz.

I guess MS prioritized reducing lag over reducing IAF. That's good for digital drawing newbs, not good for us veterans.

artsi

Well The Verge as usual was wrong. According to someone from Surface team, the IAF is "less than 9 grams". So 8 grams and some fraction. Probably 8.9 grams lolz.

I guess MS prioritized reducing lag over reducing IAF. That's good for digital drawing newbs, not good for us veterans.

How much is the old pen?

What's the IAF of the Apple Pencil?
Microsoft are touting this as better, but maybe they just mean latency.

Apple circumvents the load sensor's IAF by starting level 1 of the pressure curve by simply touching down on the screen and engaging the electro static field.

Basically, you don't have to press down on the pen tip to start marking, making it impossible to know what the IAF of their load sensor is.

artsi

Well, I hope (assume) the Wacom pen will have better IAF, just a question when it will be actually available.

Well, I hope (assume) the Wacom pen will have better IAF, just a question when it will be actually available.

They already have 1 gram IAF. That's their best feature IMO.

I called Wacom sales today. They first gave me some run around, but eventually sent me an email stating that their dual protocol pen Bamboo Ink Smart (CS321AK) will be publicly announced on May 31st. It will probably be on sale that day. Best Buy distribution centers already have them BTW.

artsi

They already have 1 gram IAF. That's their best feature IMO.

I called Wacom sales today. They first gave me some run around, but eventually sent me an email stating that their dual protocol pen Bamboo Ink Smart (CS321AK) will be publicly announced on May 31st. It will probably be on sale that day. Best Buy distribution centers already have them BTW.

That's damn cool, I'll get it day one.

dock

Comparing the specs for SP4 vs specs for SP2017 on the UK store shows a few things.

Microsoft seem to have a weird idea of the RRP of the SP4, as they're listing the old price of the SP4 at £100 or more than it was ever was, even in 2015.

The stingy 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD is now £980, which is quite a price hike over the previous gen.

The 2017 type keyboard is £150, despite having no improvements. Still no wireless option. Given that one of the keys on my SP4 keyboard is pretty bad now, it seems like pretty poor value.

Sir Doom

Apple circumvents the load sensor's IAF by starting level 1 of the pressure curve by simply touching down on the screen and engaging the electro static field.

Basically, you don't have to press down on the pen tip to start marking, making it impossible to know what the IAF of their load sensor is.
I have a Apple Pro but never draw on it.
Is the Pencil worth the $100

hadareud

The Translator
Comparing the specs for SP4 vs specs for SP2017 on the UK store shows a few things.

Microsoft seem to have a weird idea of the RRP of the SP4, as they're listing the old price of the SP4 at £100 or more than it was ever was, even in 2015.

The stingy 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD is now £980, which is quite a price hike over the previous gen.

The 2017 type keyboard is £150, despite having no improvements. Still no wireless option. Given that one of the keys on my SP4 keyboard is pretty bad now, it seems like pretty poor value.

Brexit prices.

Danneee

Thinking about getting a S4P M3 for PDF annotations and note taking (plus as a family laptop).
How is writing on it? Is the lag going to ruin the experience? I had a Note Pro 12.2" and taking notes and annotating on that was pretty good, how does the Surface Pro compare??

dock

Thinking about getting a S4P M3 for PDF annotations and note taking (plus as a family laptop).
How is writing on it? Is the lag going to ruin the experience? I had a Note Pro 12.2" and taking notes and annotating on that was pretty good, how does the Surface Pro compare??
I love my SP4 i5 and I use it almost every day, but I don't much enjoy writing text on it, partially because of the lag, but also because of the software.

I haven't found any software for written notes that I liked using. Onenote has this 'floating text area' concept that always turns my notes into such a mess. iOS frustratingly has much better options for note taking.

I love my SP4 i5 and I use it almost every day, but I don't much enjoy writing text on it, partially because of the lag, but also because of the software.

I haven't found any software for written notes that I liked using. Onenote has this 'floating text area' concept that always turns my notes into such a mess. iOS frustratingly has much better options for note taking.

Try Squid (Papyrus) or Mischief.

Danneee

Ah, thanks. I read somewhere that the creators update fixed the lag?

Luigi87

Well the SP4 just got another firmware update.

• Surface Embedded Controller Firmware (103.1684.256.0) improves battery life during sleep.
  • Intel(R) Precise Touch Device (v1.2.0.83) disables touch when cover is closed and improves stability.
  • Surface Integration (v1.0.121.0) adjusts system hibernation defaults
  • Surface Touch Servicing ML (v1.0.724.0) updates touch functionality.
  • Surface System Aggregator Firmware (v103.1610.256.0) resolves screen brightness issues when device comes out of sleep.
  • Surface UEFI (v106.1624.768.0) refines brightness settings.
  • Surface Touch (v57.1.1.1) optimizes touch functionality.

dLMN8R

I checked out the new Surface Pro in the Microsoft Store today. It definitely looks very very similar to the SP3/SP4, but it still feels top of class and better than most every other such device out there - not fixing what's not broken!

The screen is beautiful, the performance flies, and the kickstand feels nicer.

I'm thinking that I'll replace my Surface Book with this thing. The Surface Book is really nice, but I like the Surface Pro form factor better, and would appreciate it being lighter and thinner too. And the update from Skylake to Kaby Lake will be noticeable, even if not huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom