• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of making your bed every morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nded

Many people operate best with some sort of routine to help provide a framework to their day. For some that would be making their bed every morning.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If no one's gonna see it I NEVER make my bed. Waste of time.

The analogies with showering are braindead.

RMI

Banned
waste of time? how long does it take to pull the sheet and comforter back into place? like 10 seconds? what the hell.

Jotakori

I grew up having to always make my bed, and as soon as I moved out on my own I stopped asap. I don't see the point of it either, just feels like a waste of time. I always bunch up my blankets so I can cling to them anyway, so might as well leave them where they are for the next night.
Plus, not like anyone ever goes into my room anyway but even if anyone did it's by far the least messy room in the house (I have two roommates) so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I used to make my bed daily when I was young, naive and full of hopeful ideals. Now I just dont give a fuck. In the grand scheme of things its pointless.

Laieon

The correct answer is the appeal.

When you are tired as fuck at night which would you rather jump into?

1)
10-steps-to-making-the-perfect-bed-beds.jpg

2)

I personally don't make my bed, but absolutely love staying at hotels knowing my bed looks so appealing to jump into at night.

Picture 2 looks like it has a significantly comfier comforter.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Because getting into a made bed feels great.
Because it looks better.
Because discipline is not a bad thing.
Because starting your day by forcing yourself to do something you don't want to feels good.

Futureman

I don't care either but my GF does. Getting into a fresh bed is a weird reason to me. It's not fresh. Still has your stinky sweat and poop stained boxers hiding under the pillows.

Blizzard

Banned
Mental health is a benefit, I imagine. Living in a tidy, aesthetically pleasing environment may also help reduce stress.

Discipline is also a benefit as mentioned above.

I don't care either but my GF does. Getting into a fresh bed is a weird reason to me. It's not fresh. Still has your stinky sweat and poop stained boxers hiding under the pillows.
You shouldn't have feces staining your boxers unless you're not wiping / washing properly. You shouldn't have sweat staining them either, since you should change underwear if they're soaked from a workout.

Because it's the the single most freee thing you can to do improve your quality of life. Shit takes like 2 minutes and you elevate.

Also not being a slob is attractive.

Mendrox

I never understood the obsession in regards to making your bed each morning. You're just gonna mess it up again at night.

Do you make your bed every morning? If so, why?

It's nice thing to do in the morning. You have already done something and it's nice to look at. It starts the day even better. People that dont make their bed every morning are just lazy. Also goes to show if you care about appearances. Looks good, feels good.

Also guess what? Not being a slop is attractive, but I guess you dont get many woman over or have never thought about that? It takes less than a Minute and makes you feel better about yourself which is just a great start

I decided when I was like 10 to switch to using a comforter, instead of sheets and blankets. That way, if I want to make it, I just throw the comforter.

But really I never make it at all unless someone is coming over, and even then, I just shut the bedroom door and tell them to stay out.

Its nice to reset the sheets and blankets and helps keep dust out.

It's makes your room look better too.

Always remember that clean and orderly surroundings are beneficial for mental health.

sturmdogg

Discipline.

Gives you a feeling of accomplishment so early in the day.

Makes the bedroom look clean and attractive for that person you're gonna bang later.

Take your pick.

Regiruler

It looks like we can add "making your bed every morning" to things GAFfers get a weird sense of superiority from along with "comparison shopping on each item of each supermarket trip" and "eating the end slices of bread."
You're just mad because you're holding the L's here.

A made bed is superior, you cannot argue with art.

It's also much nicer to lay on a clean bed during the day for reading.

Wouldn't it be readier if you didn't make it, since you would need to essentially unmake it to get in?

Nope, because if it's messy you still have to untangle the sheets, rotate it to fit your body and find a good patch to crawl under. Compared to a well made bed where you just lift the side and slide in

Fei

"Discipline"

I'm 33, married, and have two kids. No beds are made, yet we somehow manage to have discipline with unmade beds!

Futureman

You shouldn't have feces staining your boxers unless you're not wiping / washing properly. You shouldn't have sweat staining them either, since you should change underwear if they're soaked from a workout.

I don't care what you say, every time I get in bed there's a new pair of poopy underwear. I don't care it it's "right" or "wrong" but it happens and sometimes all over the sheets as well.

psyfi

Banned
I never tuck in my sheets, but I usually straighten things out. I live with my housemates and my room is where my friends and I usually hang out, so I want them to be able to flop down on it without feeling weird. And sometimes I use my bed as a table to lay things out on when I design posters, so I want it even and neat.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I have a nasty habit of convincing myself to work/study from bed – and it will ALWAYS result in me falling asleep and wasting at least 3 hours – so I make my bed as a reminder. It also looks nice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because it feels shitty to just not give a fuck about making your place as comfortable as you can.

It reminds me of being sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom