• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Wear |OT| 2nd Gen is Here

Jzero

gH9c9Dq.png

gH9c9Dq.png

gH9c9Dq.png

gH9c9Dq.png

gH9c9Dq.png

gH9c9Dq.png

SimleuqiR

My buddy at work is getting a 360 when it becomes available.
I will wait for his personal take on it before I even contemplate buying one

Jzero

I want the Moto 360 as well but i ordered the gear live for the mean time to check my notifications at work without getting written up for using my phone.

Can't wait to receive it in a few days but i'm less excited now that the reviews are that low.

How's the battery life? My "dumb" watch lasts more than two years with one little battery.

These things seem cool but I'm used to always having a digital clock on my wrist. Having to take it off for recharging all the time is a deal breaker. Notifications on my wrist aren't worth the trouble.

kagete

I was in until I heard it was 46mm, which is HUGE for a watch. Watches with thin bezels look even bigger on the wrist than chunkier ones. I typically wear 35 or 38mm with 40mm watches being too big already so there's no way this will wear well on my tiny wrists. Will pay extra for 38mm googy pls.

BigFwoosh

How's the battery life? My "dumb" watch lasts more than two years with one little battery.

These things seem cool but I'm used to always having a digital clock on my wrist. Having to take it off for recharging all the time is a deal breaker. Notifications on my wrist aren't worth the trouble.

My Gear Live makes it through a full day easily with the screen always on. It'd probably land somewhere around 1.5-2 days off the charger.

BigFwoosh

I'm very surprised by how accurate the step counting is. In a normal day, the Gear is around 200 steps or less above what my Fitbit tracks, including going for a run.

mnannola

That arstechnica review seems to imply the software still has a ways to go. I'll see how it's working when the 360 comes out before hoping on the train.

Complete artificial need. No one needs this crap.

I needed it this morning when I was biking to work, and my girlfriend wrote me an text saying I had forgotten my work computer at home.

Had I had that notification being viewable on my wrist I wouldn't have had to bike all the way home, but could have stopped halfway there and turned back.

Also it's much easier to turn your wrist and look at stuff rather then taking the phone out of your pocket during work or meetings.

Weird that they dont have a Nest app on release, would be sweet, anyone has any pictures/videos of how apps that do a ton of stuff look in wear?

Jzero

My watch shipped early :D I should be getting it in two days.

Weird that they dont have a Nest app on release, would be sweet, anyone has any pictures/videos of how apps that do a ton of stuff look in wear?

Dude they are totally going to make one, they did buy Nest after all.

CronoShot

Need dat Moto 360. Looks the best by far. And considering the specs of them are all almost identical, looks are most important.

wow I guess people really dont care about Smart watches, even on GAF we can't conversation going about them.... thread's dead...

Just received this beauty. Looks a bit better in person.

Any impressions?

did color e-ink screens just never materialize? or still too expensive or something?

Thats what I want too, something with color e-paper, problem is that the refresh rate is too slow to do anything like the current watches do (crazy animations, touch screen that reacts to your taps/drags automatically).

I would be perfectly fine with a color e-paper Pebble, I hope thats what they are working on next, I have a Pebble right now and I love it.

Jzero

wow I guess people really dont care about Smart watches, even on GAF we can't conversation going about them.... thread's dead...

Any impressions?
Yea people don't like buying first generation devices because they are pretty much a beta test and something better always comes out in the second generation. I like the watch so far but i wish I didn't have to charge it every night. It works perfectly for my restaurant job though, because i can see notifications right away without having to pull out my phone and getting in trouble for it. It also isn't ugly like the Pebble.

Oh and the heart monitor kinda sucks unless you tighten the band quite a bit if you have small wrists

how is the visibility on the screen outside?

It really depends how bright the sun is outside but most of the included watch faces are very hard to see in very bright sunlight, especially in dimmed mode. Good thing i'm going to be using this thing indoors at work all day.

Blackhead

Redarse
How does it work with Google Maps? I was pretty hyped for Transit Navigation with android wear but that hasn't been added yet, has it?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Any impressions?

I bought a G Watch. Scheduled to be delivered today. Hopefully this thread will be more active once people get their hands on the hardware.

TxdoHawk

Complete artificial need. No one needs this crap.

You'd be surprised. See: The dude who doesn't want to get yelled at for checking his phone.

I also want one, because I constantly have my hands busy repairing systems at work, being able to flip my wrist to see who's texting/calling me at work about my next problem would be a godsend.

Of course...I kind of just switched to team iPhone, so I'm gonna have to wait to see what Apple brings to the table. But regardless, I think smartwatches have a lot more potential to be useful to a decent chunk of people than say, Google Glass.

Jzero

How does it work with Google Maps? I was pretty hyped for Transit Navigation with android wear but that hasn't been added yet, has it?

It has, i used it to bike to work. It works pretty great, especially with headphones.

Top Bottom