• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Just_one

Game Of Thrones Season 1-5 : Episodes A,B,C,D "Fuck You HBO...nothing happened during these episodes , its just filler stuff !!"

Game Of Thrones Season 7 : Episodes E,F,G : "Fuck You HBO... Everything is being rushed !! "

Welcome to the Internet in 2017...sad but true

Apoc29

My reaction whenever someone died

101550.jpg

Camwi

So uh, why couldn't Benjen have ridden on the horse with Jon Snow? They just felt like killing him off for no reason?

One of the many issues I had with this last episode.

Harmen

Game Of Thrones Season 1-5 : Episodes A,B,C,D "Fuck You HBO...nothing happened during these episodes , its just filler stuff !!"

Game Of Thrones Season 7 : Episodes E,F,G : "Fuck You HBO... Everything is being rushed !! "

Different people have different opinions. There is a big difference in tone and pacing between the first couple of seasons and what we get now, so it is not that surprising that people voice their preferences (in varying degrees of subtlety or lack thereof).

Window

I mean, if you think this is a real pattern in people's reaction (I don't think it is) you've just highlighted the show has a legitimate pacing issue.

nubbe

It's the end game so I don't mind the tempo. Every relevant character has been developed sufficiently.

I'm not a fan of the fast travel system. But it's not a real big deal.
But I hate all the TV hero moments and red shirts this season.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Sad!

I'm betting 10$ that in season eights Lannisters and Jon plus his gang will have formed an alliance, will fight the NK, Sam popped up from somewhere, made a speer of Dragonstone and Bron will kill the zombie-dragon with exactly that.

Uncle plot device Benjen ex machina is a fire wight.

Umm, you do realise that pacing being poor either way is not good right?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's the end game so I don't mind the tempo. Every relevant character has been developed sufficiently.
Which is why it's frustrating. We get 7 interesting developed characters joined together from disparate storylines spanning 6 seasons and we get two 'I knew your dad' conversations and a few other small conversations and then we are into the action. I mean Jorah was cured of an almost incurable disease by Jon's best friend, and it isn't mentioned at all.

Plus the most significant character this season, Euron, being developed sufficiently?

gun_haver

It's the diminishing returns. When Daenerys first rode her dragons and showed off the power she actually has, it was impressive, intimidating and even pretty heroic. Now, it's becomes expected, formulaic and actually kind of embarrassing and corny. The show cannot just continue with her rushing in to save the day anymore, because it is played out and the fans, and the critics, are turning against the show.

The time discrepancies, etc, are people misarticulating the problem that the show has become simplistic. They are writing bluntly towards spectacle. That's what has changed - character depth and in-world realism is being sacrificed for simplistic heroism and typical high fantasy melodrama. Heroic moments happened before, but they were part of a larger story. Now, spectacle has become the primary attraction and the lack of intelligence applied to how that is acheived is dragging the entire show and world down.

Will the dragon even breathe fire, given fire tends to be the wight's worst enemy?

Ice breathing dragon...? :eek:

This is going to be even better than Iceman and Pyro's showdown in X-Men 3: The Last Stand! :p

Crispy75

Does Cersei know about Jon's parentage?

So far as we know, the only people with concrete knowledge are Bran and Little Sam. Littlefinger suspects - he knew Lyanna was actually in love with Rhaegar, and that Ned's not the kind of man to father a bastard. I very much doubt that he ever talked about it with her.

7he Talon

I don't think anybody but Bran knows.
So far as we know, the only people with concrete knowledge are Bran and Little Sam. Littlefinger suspects - he knew Lyanna was actually in love with Rhaegar, and that Ned's not the kind of man to father a bastard. I very much doubt that he ever talked about it with her.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not sure why I thought Cersei could know.

I was hoping it would get revealed to everyone in the season final, but I can't see any way of that happening.

I'm betting 10$ that in season eights Lannisters and Jon plus his gang will have formed an alliance, will fight the NK, Sam popped up from somewhere, made a speer of Dragonstone and Bron will kill the zombie-dragon with exactly that.
Actually this does raise a good point (although not intentionally) that Qyburn's Scorpion will come in quite handy against the Wight Dragon. I'd imagine a spear of Dragonglass would be needed (as I'm assuming the ice spear is to dragons what dragonglass is to Wight Walkers, but that could be inaccurate) but at least they aren't totally unprepared (or simply relying on dragons) for that.

Stopped watching the show after season 5 episode 9. Finale trailer has like everything I got tired of waiting for. Just gonna skip ahead like an awful person.

mxgt

Banned
I hope Tyrion does something of value in the finale.

His character has been beyond worthless this season. Really disappointing.

Will the dragon even breathe fire, given fire tends to be the wight's worst enemy?

Ice breathing dragon...? :eek:

This is going to be even better than Iceman and Pyro's showdown in X-Men 3: The Last Stand! :p

The fire burst out of it's chest when it got pierced because there was big hole in it right? I'd figure it couldn't breathe fire properly either way now with that hole, he'd be flaming out of one side.

Ice wouldn't make much sense either but magic, who knows

Sephzilla

Man, I dunno about some of the complaints I read about the last episode over the last few days. The only part I didn't care for was Benjen showing up only to immediately get offed. Why Jon was kind of walking away from the dragon all macho like in general was a head scratcher since he ultimately ended up in the same place had he just rode off on the dragon.

BraXzy

It's a shame that all the characters now have plot armour to an extent. It sucks seeing your favourites go but it did add dread to every close moment. I suppose now with all the major players well and truly established, and no new characters really introduced and fleshed out in the last season or two, there's no one left to feed to the hounds.

I do hope we get some unexpected bits yet though.

So uh, why couldn't Benjen have ridden on the horse with Jon Snow? They just felt like killing him off for no reason?

One of the many issues I had with this last episode.

Possible reasons:

He's been practicing his meteor hammer kung fu in cave for nearly ten years and this is literally the only chance he would ever get to show it off.

This is all part of his plan to upgrade from a 50% Wight to a 90% Wight.

Like most Game of Thrones characters, he draws power from obscurity. He was confident he would be able to survive due to having no practical importance to the viewer, until that asshole Jon mumbled his name.

Because Valyrian steel is so sharp, sheaths for swords like Longclaw weigh hundreds of kilograms; there was no way the horse could handle carrying both the sword and Ben.

Two dudes on one horse is seen as homoerotic in the tradition of the Northmen and Ben is a really traditional sort of guy.

He really just wants to die so that he doesn't risk taking a step south of the Wall and immediately being declared DAKINGINDANORF by a bunch of useless twatting Northmen.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Gilly's baby? Is this a joke I'm missing?

My assumption is that Benjen just really, really wanted to die and figured this was his purpose and chance to do so.

I mean, dude has been undead for like, four to five years over the wall.

Addi

It's a shame that all the characters now have plot armour to an extent. It sucks seeing your favourites go but it did add dread to every close moment. I suppose now with all the major players well and truly established, and no new characters really introduced and fleshed out in the last season or two, there's no one left to feed to the hounds.

I do hope we get some unexpected bits yet though.

I think it's because they want main characters killing each other and not having them die to a random wight. It does lessen the impact of the big scale battles though. I mean, other than Ygritte, which major character has died in a big battle?

EDIT: Stannis died to Brienne, Ramsey died to Jon/Sansa

I mean the Wall has always been kind of a metaphorical barrier anyway, it's not like it extends into the ocean to stop things from just going around it. It's actually not super clear why it's been so much of a problem for anyone or anything, other than "Wildlings skipped the top of the tech tree."

jviggy43

It's the diminishing returns. When Daenerys first rode her dragons and showed off the power she actually has, it was impressive, intimidating and even pretty heroic. Now, it's becomes expected, formulaic and actually kind of embarrassing and corny. The show cannot just continue with her rushing in to save the day anymore, because it is played out and the fans, and the critics, are turning against the show.

The time discrepancies, etc, are people misarticulating the problem that the show has become simplistic. They are writing bluntly towards spectacle. That's what has changed - character depth and in-world realism is being sacrificed for simplistic heroism and typical high fantasy melodrama. Heroic moments happened before, but they were part of a larger story. Now, spectacle has become the primary attraction and the lack of intelligence applied to how that is acheived is dragging the entire show and world down.
This is beautifully put and nails the problem with this season.

Carbonox

See, I was hoping the wight would bounce off some invisible force field as they flew over the wall and drop back down to the ground, then shuffle off in to the woods all gangly, like.

Top Bottom